Health Advances Reviews

Paula Ness Speers

1. Nice Place to Work, Learn and Grow

Former Employee - Senior Network Administrator in Weston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Network Administrator in Weston, MA

I worked at Health Advances full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Health Advances for a total of 10 years in a support capacity (not an analyst) providing IT services as their Senior Network Administrator. Health Advances was less than 20 people when I started with them and when I left we were nearly 100. I learned a lot in my time with them. Health Advances was really my 1st corporate job and so my learning experience was not just IT related but growing with the company professionally and learning how to deal with colleagues in an office environment. Since I was there for 10 years, I can't say that every minute was roses. It wasn't. There was good and there was bad but when I look at my entire experience, the good far outweighs the bad. The owners are absolutely wonderful people. That's not to say that they aren't tough business people. They are definitely tough and expect much. However they are also fair and would give you the shirt off their backs. All of the employees are thought of and treated as part of the family. You are welcome into their hearts and home literally. I've shared meals and holidays, got to know their children and felt like part of an extended family. Thank You! The staff, analyst and other employees were also a joy to work with. Health Advances does quarterly pro bono events for local charitable organizations and this is a real opportunity to interact with your colleagues in a more relaxed setting, get to know them on a personal basis and these events create esprit de corps within the organization. If you're reading this, you're probably looking at an Analyst role. Since I didn't do this I can't comment too much but I can say that regardless of level, there is always a lot to learn. Health Advances is a stepping stone. I can't tell you how many people I know that put in a few years and then went on to upper management positions at larger prestigious corporations. That being said, a great deal of effort goes into retention and I know just as many people that started as Analysts or Senior Analysts and moved up the company ladder at Health Advances becoming Vice Presidents or higher.

Cons

I really don't have anything bad to say or even constructive criticism. I look at the time I spent at Health Advances as a learning experience that grew me professionally in many ways. I'm no longer an IT but I still manage people and use many of the skills that I learned everyday.

Advice to Management

No advice to management. Just a big thank you to Mark, Paula, Skip, Marie as well as all the VPs and Managers.

2. Nice Place to work

Current Employee - Consultant in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Weston, MA

I have been working at Health Advances full-time

Pros

Great co-workers. Understanding management. Challenging work

Cons

Lot of work pressure. Really long hours

3. Health Advances is good healthcare consulting firm to start a career

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Weston, MA

I have been working at Health Advances full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very intelligent coworkers, you learn something from every project. Typically good work life balance

Cons

Currently overworked and unwilling to make changes

5. Smart people and great culture; great place to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Health Advances full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best asset: very smart with a good balance of perspectives (science and medical vs. business). Firm fosters a good culture in which its easy to thrive if you apply yourself. Travel is not a killer like at other consulting firms. Hours are reasonably flexible, allowing time to get personal things done.

Cons

Consistent with many consulting firms hours can be long - nothing unusual in this regard, but be prepared for a long night here and there if you've never done consulting before. Management is cautious, so decisions can take too long and sometimes decisions aren't always transparent. This is sometimes perceived as patronizing "we [management] know best". Pay is not as competitive as elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Embrace innovative ideas from your employees more readily. Take more risks on your employees' enthusiasm by offering more training and externship opportunities.

Was expecting so much more....

I worked at Health Advances full-time

Pros

Constant work - will not have downtime wondering when the next project will come in

Cons

Pay is not competitive for hours expected, unclear training and integration plan for higher level positions, high turnover, people and projects treated as cookie-cutter

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to customize with real value-added insight beyond the standard deliverable

Great first job

Former Employee - Analyst in Weston, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Weston, MA

I worked at Health Advances full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, generous pay, interesting work. The firm is a good place to get your feet wet in consulting or consider paths into MBA, med school, or industry work.

Cons

Puts too much menial work on entry-level hires and promotes them based on success there, rather than ability to handle more complex and project-essential tasks.

Top Tier Strategy Consulting Experience in Boutique/Industry Specific Organization

Current Employee - Analyst in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Weston, MA

I have been working at Health Advances

Pros

The Senior management is very competent, and well respected by clients. They are also highly involved in the work and professional development of their employees. All strategy- no operations. If you are interested in life sciences/healthcare consulting this Health Advances a great place to be a part of.

Cons

Location is in the Massachusetts suburbs.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the small company environment and focus on developing talent.

RSS Feed </> Embed