Health Advocate Reviews

2.8
Michael Cardillo

1. How happy you will be here depends on your position

I worked at Health Advocate

Pros

They try to make the office fun by sponsoring special "days" throughout the year especially October thru December

Cons

People that have been here a long time are happy, new people will have a hard time . A lot of unhappy people.

Advice to Management

Need to work on the culture, out with the old-in with a new one

2. Good company to work for when coming out of college. Learned a lot about healthcare.

I have been working at Health Advocate

Pros

Good pay. Good communication of what needs to be done and what can be improved .

Cons

Unrealistic metrics can sometimes be annoying.

Advice to Management

Lose the metrics and constant monitoring during slow traffic times.

3. Committed people working to improve health of many

I worked at Health Advocate

Pros

Committed workforce, solid client base with good opportunities to grow in a rapidly growing sector, expanding portfolio of products creating opportunities to work across product lines

Cons

Lack of overall vision of new growth opportunities, slow to adapt to new realities of changes in health care environment, opportunities in data and analytics

Advice to Management

Create better opportunities for people to balance work and life

5. Just a job. Not meant for long term

Current Employee - Anonymous in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at Health Advocate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, very diverse, unique culture, a lot of overtime available.

Cons

Some departments are very micromanaged. The blind leads the blind because of the fast turn around time for employees. People are constantly quitting or being let go so there aren't any pros or specialist. If you are there for 2 years or longer you are basically a senior advocate. The company is number driven and focuses more on the quantity of work than the quality. Depending on the department you are in you will have to answer a certain amount of calls or complete a certain amount of cases. If you don't make your numbers you will be written up, if you are "temp to hire" you'll be let go.

6. Great Co-Workers, Good Bonuses

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I worked at Health Advocate part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really liked my co-workers. They were all great. A group of us would hang out afterwards too.

Bonuses - I don't know if they going to do this anymore (they were bought by another company), but they used to really love Halloween and just handed everybody $100 cash to celebrate. That included temps and people hired only for special projects.

Cons

I didn't know that I was a temp to perm when I was hired - and neither did my supervisor the first couple of weeks. I ultimately left because a certain VP said things I could have proved weren't true and for those reason I would not be hired permanently. (I have a family member who works in upper management and loves her job. I think the only people hired temp to perm are the children of current employees.)

Advice to Management

I don't really have any advice to management. Most are well qualified and good at what they do.

Nurse

I have been working at Health Advocate

Pros

No weekend or holiday. Low stress.

Cons

Nurses are not valued. They are responsible for everything, even things they can't control. Told must take lots of calls but then are picked apart if there's a complaint.

Advice to Management

Which is it? Quantity or quality?

8. Decent company but pay is low

Former Employee - Associate in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Associate in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I worked at Health Advocate full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company culture is great

Cons

Few opportunities for development and growth, particularly for people early on in their careers

9. My experience at Health Advocate is great for what it is.

Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at Health Advocate full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a great job for when you are in between jobs,. It is excellent for people who are experienced in the field of healthcare but who are tired and looking for an easy job to pay the bills. It is also great for students who are just coming out of college. They have bonuses and always are having events and parties during the workweek which allows for much free food. they offer extremely flexible schedules.

Cons

They micro-manage; Not much room for growth in the company--Family owned and run; High deductible health plans.

Greatest team in the world, unfortunately...worst leadership EVER.

Current Employee - Management Team
    Current Employee - Management Team

I have been working at Health Advocate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The staff is made up of very professional, caring and compassionate people. They are always trying to keep the client's best interests at heart. The best group I've ever worked with, by far!! The company policies are pretty much on par with all major companies of this size, but as with most big companies, the employee is more a number than a name.

Cons

The Leadership team here adopts a "fake it til you make it" philosophy behind closed doors and while the clients and C-level management see a well-oiled machine, behind the scenes it's chaos. The policies and procedures are not uniformly administered or enforced, so a caller could get one answer with one representative and another answer with another representative. Not a good way to do business- especially in the healthcare field. Further, the Leadership team is made up of people who've never worked on the ground floor and though they make a showing of being open to feedback from employees, they don't really listen and make little effort to really understand.

Advice to Management

Consider listening to your employees. And when there is a revolving door of employees in a department, that is a sign that something is broken and needs attention!!

11. Claims Specialists

Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at Health Advocate full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Health Advocate is a great company to work for, Very relaxed and laid back company. Great entry level positions for college graduates. Nice cafe. Very friendly employees. Great employee referral program

Cons

health benefits are not that great