Health Advocate

Updated August 13, 2014
Updated August 13, 2014

2.6

Michael Cardillo

Decent company but pay is low

Former Employee - Associate  in  Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Associate in Plymouth Meeting, PA

Pros

The company culture is great

Cons

Few opportunities for development and growth, particularly for people early on in their careers

My experience at Health Advocate is great for what it is.

Current Employee - Claims Specialist  in  Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Plymouth Meeting, PA

Pros

It is a great job for when you are in between jobs,. It is excellent for people who are experienced in the field of healthcare but who are tired and looking for an easy job to pay the bills. It is also great for students who are just coming out of college. They have bonuses and always are having events and parties during the workweek which allows for much free food. they offer extremely flexible schedules.

Cons

They micro-manage; Not much room for growth in the company--Family owned and run; High deductible health plans.

Claims Specialists

Current Employee - Claims Specialist  in  Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Plymouth Meeting, PA

Pros

Health Advocate is a great company to work for, Very relaxed and laid back company. Great entry level positions for college graduates. Nice cafe. Very friendly employees. Great employee referral program

Cons

health benefits are not that great

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Greatest team in the world, unfortunately...worst leadership EVER.

Current Employee - Management Team
    Current Employee - Management Team

Pros

The staff is made up of very professional, caring and compassionate people. They are always trying to keep the client's best interests at heart. The best group I've ever worked with, by far!! The company policies are pretty much on par with all major companies of this size, but as with most big companies, the employee is more a number than a name.

Cons

The Leadership team here adopts a "fake it til you make it" philosophy behind closed doors and while the clients and C-level management see a well-oiled machine, behind the scenes it's chaos. The policies and procedures are not uniformly administered or enforced, so a caller could get one answer with one representative and another answer with another representative. Not a good way to do business- especially in the healthcare field. Further, the Leadership team is made up of people who've never worked on the ground floor and though they make a showing of being open to feedback from employees, they don't really listen and make little effort to really understand.

Consider listening to your employees. And when there is a revolving door of employees in a department, that is a sign that something is broken and needs attention!!

All-around solid company

Pros

- Extra curricular events for employees
    - Friendly co-workers
    - Flexible with PTO

Cons

- Expect a lot from employees
    - Tasks can get boring
    - Minimum opportunity for advancement

Good job if you're a people person, but a lot of stress

Pros

So far I've had a good working experience. Many events, dress down days where you can contribute to charities to wear jeans to work, cheap vending machines and free coffee and tea, Massages, an on site gym, excellent feeling when a job is well done, encouraging environment but that but is on a down slope.

Cons

You will be overworked. You'll find yourself either getting behind on your work or coming in early to get things done. More incoming than the call centers, PHA's or claims can handle yet we're punished for not handling it. After a call, expect literally any supervisor from any department to either email or call you to tell you to get back on the phones. Some supervisors tend to micromanage but I imagine it's because they're overworked too.

We're adults, please treat us as such. Also please work more on communicating with other departments. Frequently given different rules or different ways to handle calls per department. Consistency makes life easier for everyone.

Very stressful, too many calls, not enough time

Current Employee - Call Center  in  Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Call Center in Plymouth Meeting, PA

Pros

Good vacation time, subsidized vending machines and deli, dress down days. Many nice people work here, who try to help people--despite the management.

Cons

When I was a new employee, the trainer told us that we'd never be pressured to take a lot of calls, that Health Advocate wanted us to really help the callers. This is the biggest lie I've ever been told by an employer. Metrics are all that matter here. We're pressured to take so many calls that we don't have time to follow up and deliver anything to customers. Supervisors often call us on the phone, getting after us to go available and take calls--and many of the supervisors know less about medical benefits than the peons in the cubicles. And if we visit the rest room, we now must make up the time. Complaints from customers--often unreasonable--are not handled well by management, so they are humiliating and alienating. Training isn't great--most of what I know I've learned on my own.

Drop the obsession with metrics and return to your original mission of helping people. You won't lose many customers if your ASA is above target. But you will lose customers if you get a reputation for being unable to deliver anything. Give employees time off the phones to follow up and deliver information. Health Advocate sells information, but the information isn't very good--the online database is inadequate.

Not a good company to work for

Pros

If you need a job would be the only reason to work here. Like anywhere else, you can make some nice friends.

Cons

Horrible benefits, minimal 401k match. Only 25%. The managers are like babysitters getting after you to take calls like slave drivers. They watch you all day. It's all about production and not actually doing research and helping people and then when they think you made a mistake they ride you and write you up. They're so out of touch, they recently just started to say that if you go to the bathroom you have to stay passed your shift to make that time up. If you get a job in a dept that is billed as serving customers and answering questions you will still be treated like a phone answering robot . No recognition of talent. Bottleneck career path.

Fire the VPs of ops and sups

Great opportunity to get experience in customer service

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate

Pros

Very little experience needed

Cons

Want to fit everyone in a box

Expectations too high for training and support provided

A New Branch of Health Advocate, Engage2Health, Starts On The Wrong Foot

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westlake Village, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA

Pros

- easy to get hired, no training required besides customer service experience
    - uplifting company mission
    - free coffee and tea
    - healthcare research seminars open to all employees
    - helpful IT employees
    - great location, modern office, new computers and furniture

Cons

- lack of training
    - overtime is expected
    - file system is disorganized and every division has their own system
    - management gives unrealistic expectations (ie: wants you to improve job efficiency but micromanages and discourages change without everyone's approval first)
    - uneasy work environment, coworkers play hot potato with accountability
    - some coworkers are pretentious, and in a small office of 20 people, it can become too much

I would offer formal training rather than offering up some poor employee as an advisor should questions come up, hire more people so overtime isn't expected, streamline how the file system is organized, give employees more control over their jurisdiction, and set clear expectations for each job. When I first started, I was blamed for things no one told me I was responsible for, which was frustrating. When I left, I tried to compile a basic training guide with templates and step-by-step directions, though with no one responsible to pass it on and everyone with enough on their plate, I'd put money on it being thrown in the trash. This is Engage2Health in a nutshell.

Worked for Health Advocate? Contribute to the Community!