Health Advocates Reviews

Updated February 15, 2015
12 reviews filtered by
2.1
Michael J. Cardillo

1. Very rewarding work in an innovative environment with a thriving company. I'm on the right team!

Current Employee - Federal Benefits Department in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Federal Benefits Department in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Health Advocates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is rewarding, great healthy collaborative environment, Health Advocates is a healthy, thriving company that offers full benefits to its employees as well as paid sick days and even 1 paid personal day off! I enjoy the people I work with and am totally supported by management. We work 1/2 day EVERY Friday and they buy breakfast for the entire company twice a month. Their holiday parties are LEGENDARY and I truly enjoy my co-workers (and my job). It is everything I applied for and more.

Cons

It starts at 7:30 AM which is a little early with only a 45 minute lunch break and the coffee in the break room is pretty bad.

Advice to Management

As an employee, we would feel appreciated if we were recognized for our strengths and allowed to build on them.

Happy to never return...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Health Advocates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A paycheck, some friendly co-workers.

Cons

Like some of the other reviews stated - you're lucky if you get an extra 25 cent increase on your hourly wage during review time. Don't waste your time going to HR about any of your concerns, there is no confidentiality. Managers are incompetent. You won't get ahead just by working hard... because they will only work you harder.

Not bad, if you're just looking for experience.

Former Employee - Case Manager
    Former Employee - Case Manager

I worked at Health Advocates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good place to get customer service experience in a health care setting and learn about government benefits.
    The people at my site were great. I definitely built good relationships.

Cons

Little to no employee appreciation
    Expected to work on holidays and weekends in some sites
    Horrible training
    Poor compensation for the amount and type of work
    The company does a horrible job at keeping clients happy and has lost many clients already. It probably won't be alive in Norcal for much longer.

The 5 stars are cover ups!

Current Employee - Case Manager
    Current Employee - Case Manager

I have been working at Health Advocates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dont think for one second that there is a pro, people who are unemployed have more benefits then this place

Cons

Everything like morale, wages, pressure, even the bathrooms are nasty. This place has been the worst decision of my life. Never apply here unless you want ur soul taken. I used to be happy, now im on meds.

Advice to Management

Look at ur self, follow thru with something that helps ur employees, stop blaming us for ur let downs.

the worse place to work for

Current Employee - Case Manager in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Health Advocates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

there is nothing good i can say about this company. supervisors and managers will give you hard time even if your new. i dont know how they expect you to work so many cases straight out of training. btw training sucked too.

Cons

EVERYTHING! anything you do will always be wrong for a stupid reasons. if you cant finish your work the day they ask you why your behind. if you actually managed to complete everything you need to do, you have to sacrifice quality and they will tell you your work can improve. if the quality of your work is good they will ask why you are spending so much time on individual cases. the pay raises they give you are so low too. every year you get an extra quarter hourly. no wonder this place constantly has a need for employees when you cant even keep the ones you hire for a year. dont take this job unless your desperate.

Advice to Management

dont assign ridiculus amounts of case loads and then intimidate your workers for not being perfect.

pathetic attempt to cover up

Former Employee - Eligibility Worker in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Eligibility Worker in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Health Advocates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ive met some of the best people after working here for so long - this goes for both coworkers and clients. Unfortunately i only work with some clients for a couple months at a time but still longer than many new hires stay before leaving.

Cons

the two 5 star reviews that are posted before my review are submitted by hr or management. Its their attempt to cover up the negative, yet true comments/ratings of those who posted previously.

Advice to Management

just because you know how to build a successful company doesnt mean your good people.

Work is too overwhelming with no guidance

Current Employee - Case Manager in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Health Advocates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work 9 hour days to get out early every Friday.

Cons

Poor management. Management fails to assist on problematic issues. Management makes your case load seem like a personal problem. No one reads.

Advice to Management

Sick policy is not realistic and should not be punished for being out sick. Train Managers to work as a Team.

9. Great company to work for!

I have been working at Health Advocates

Pros

Perks:
    Benefits (medical, dental vision), company picnics, free luncheons, paid training for some positions, annual bonuses and ample opportunity for advancement

Cons

The company is moving to Chatsworth, CA, which for some will increase their commute time.

Unless you are desperate go for it

Former Employee - Case Manager in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Health Advocates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only good things about the company are the benefits and the pay is okay more than what other general offices pay for a basic office position.

Cons

First of all at he interview i was told i would have full four months training since i had no experience what so ever that was not true it was 2 weeks by a person that did not know what she was doing. I wasn't the only who thought this the other people getting trained with me were lost as well. Then they send you to the floor with the rest of who they call case managers and you have no idea what to do 90% of the time, when you do to and ask the supervisor she is already pissed at you and sends you back to your desk saying " go look at your notes" or " follow the directions on the procedure manual" you are not the case manager you just do the hard work which is under paid considering the load of work you do, you are treated very poorly and on top you can hear the supervisors talking about you on their lunch when they sit all together at their work station. Let me tell you every case manager is very stressed out and the whole day it is very uncomfortable to be there not knowing what to do and even tho they tell you if you need help just ask you will not be helped you will be sent back to your desk and figure it out. Then there is that meeting they have with you when you're sent to the floor where they tell you that you need to be at work at 7:23 to be on your first case right at 7:30 but no over time is paid and god forbid you are not on your first case at 7:30 its worse than the army and from then on they monitor to make sure you are going from one case to the next the whole day if you do have any time gaps that you are logged in but not on a case they will call you over and ask what you were doing the 3 seconds you were not on a case.

Advice to Management

The management needs to pay attention and really see how the supervisors are mistreating the case managers they're in charge of. We all know you guys don't like change but maybe that's what the company needs new supervisors and management new people that do the training.

Looks good at first glance.Under the covers a very sick company.

I worked at Health Advocates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Moderate small company benefits. Ok health insurance partially paid for employee only, 2 weeks vacation, 3 days / yr sick leave, 401k with minimal match, long days 4 days / wk, 5 hrs Friday. The work they do for their clients is important and usually done well. Too bad they don't treat their employees the same way.

Cons

Toxic culture, mostly bad managers with a few decent exceptions. Very high turnover. Low wages for the type of work performed. Minimal sick leave causes people to come to work sick. No indication that they give back to the community where the business is located. The pieces are there to make a company where people look forward to coming to work. Unfortunately, that potential is almost totally unrealized.

Advice to Management

There is no point giving advice, it would not be heeded. To potential employees; unless you are totally desperate, look elsewhere.