Health Advocates Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.1
Al Leibovic

1. Some flaws but overall not bad.

I worked at Health Advocates full-time

Pros

You learn a lot about Social Security disability, they have a nice Christmas party, catered breakfast on payday, trips to Las Vegas, and a softball team. The attorneys and supervisors are great and are very supportive of the staff. The owners and head attorney (Leibovics) do care about the staff and the clients. It is nice working for a company that actually does care about the work they do, and it is nice knowing they have your back.1/2 Days on Fridays are fantastic, paid holidays and occasional early out days are also great, and they have an additional paid floating holiday.

Cons

You will get blamed by your clients for their being denied or having you close their case when they are the ones that screw up their case through drug use, exaggerated claims, lying on their paperwork and getting caught, etc. Also, HR mostly does not care about the staff so don't bother going to them if you have an issue, and managers are (at no fault of their own) far too busy to help you if you need it. The company expanding so much means having to work as fast as possible to a point of sacrificing quality for quantity to ensure cases are processed as quickly as possible. Insurance is offered but incredibly expensive. (Up to 1/2 your pay!) Because there is a lot of pressure to move cases as quickly as possible you are often having to fill in the gaps where prior employees failed to do their job thoroughly in prior steps of the process.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the workloads so they are reasonable or hire more staff! If you want better quality staff and a lower turnover rate you will need to pay better, because you get what you pay for and $13 is actually really low compared to the rest of the market. Hiring cheap and inexperienced labor hurts the staff members that actually know what they're doing by having to fix the work of less qualified staff members; this is especially frustrating when they're being paid the same amount.

Case manager

Pros

You get off early on Fridays 1230 and the benefits are good. Other than that there are no pros...from beginning to end

Cons

Bad pay, the staff is horrible the managers are horrible nobody cares about the job you do how good of a job you do. This company sucks they should go under. Even the clients say they suck.

Advice to Management

Do better. The hiring process needs to be better, micro managing does not help better your staff it makes us resent you.

Think twice before you say yes!

I have been working at Health Advocates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work hours are pretty awesome, getting off at 12:30 on Fridays is a huge plus. Some four day weekends, fun Halloween stuff if you're into that. Yearly raises.

Cons

The management is totally inconsistent. One supervisor says one thing is ok, and the other says it's not so you're left confused. You get HR involved? They'll laugh and say talk to your supervisor. Good luck with that. You get three sick days annually. You miss more than three it counts against you. Even if you have missed more than the three sick mays but you have a doctors note? It still counts against you. You have a verifiable illness thy excuses you from work and your doctor filled out the proper paperwork to be excused? Here's what HR told me- you won't get fired but it'll count on your annual review. Your annual review directly affects your annual raise. Expect to either be micromanaged or left to your own devices, no balance or proper guidance. No growth. It's good while your considering your next life step.

Advice to Management

Get it together! Be consistent! Be respectful. Re-think your attendance policy.

Worst Company Ever

I have been working at Health Advocates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Half day fridays nothing else

Cons

This is the absolute worst company around. They will make the company sound so amazing but when you are there it will bring you down. Every department has the worst management except for Southern Client Services. TPL is a joke and the director there has no idea what she is talking about. The manager who is no longer there could never understand the business. Upper management would get really big bonuses (thousands of dollars) while giving long standing hard working employees $100 or less. Working with the stress levels i have been given has caused me to need anti-depressant pills... Watch your back the case managers will back stab you. And any positive feedback was made by health advocates themselves to boost their rating. So they are also liars and cheats!

Advice to Management

Change everything you do, and learn about your product.

Unnecessarily Rigid Management

I worked at Health Advocates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous on the vacation time allowed. Typical office type work.

Cons

The company has a very strict "business" management structure. It makes employees feel like robots. There is a very clear pecking order.

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Case Manager in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Health Advocates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paycheck and Half day Fridays

Cons

High turnover rate. Horrible training. Get written up for almost everything you do. Supervisors don't appreciate you. Favoritism to some employees. Basically more cons than pros.

Advice to Management

There's a high turnover rate for a reason. Do something about it.

Happy to never return...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Health Advocates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A paycheck, some friendly co-workers.

Cons

Like some of the other reviews stated - you're lucky if you get an extra 25 cent increase on your hourly wage during review time. Don't waste your time going to HR about any of your concerns, there is no confidentiality. Managers are incompetent. You won't get ahead just by working hard... because they will only work you harder.

Not bad, if you're just looking for experience.

Former Employee - Case Manager
    Former Employee - Case Manager

I worked at Health Advocates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to get customer service experience in a health care setting and learn about government benefits. The people at my site were great. I definitely built good relationships.

Cons

Little to no employee appreciation Expected to work on holidays and weekends in some sites Horrible training Poor compensation for the amount and type of work The company does a horrible job at keeping clients happy and has lost many clients already. It probably won't be alive in Norcal for much longer.

10. Very rewarding work in an innovative environment with a thriving company. I'm on the right team!

Current Employee - Federal Benefits Department in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Federal Benefits Department in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Health Advocates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is rewarding, great healthy collaborative environment, Health Advocates is a healthy, thriving company that offers full benefits to its employees as well as paid sick days and even 1 paid personal day off! I enjoy the people I work with and am totally supported by management. We work 1/2 day EVERY Friday and they buy breakfast for the entire company twice a month. Their holiday parties are LEGENDARY and I truly enjoy my co-workers (and my job). It is everything I applied for and more.

Cons

It starts at 7:30 AM which is a little early with only a 45 minute lunch break and the coffee in the break room is pretty bad.

Advice to Management

As an employee, we would feel appreciated if we were recognized for our strengths and allowed to build on them.

Work is too overwhelming with no guidance

Current Employee - Case Manager in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Health Advocates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work 9 hour days to get out early every Friday.

Cons

Poor management. Management fails to assist on problematic issues. Management makes your case load seem like a personal problem. No one reads.

Advice to Management

Sick policy is not realistic and should not be punished for being out sick. Train Managers to work as a Team.

RSS Feed </> Embed