Health Advocates

Updated October 9, 2014
2.6

Michael J. Cardillo
1 Rating

Very rewarding work in an innovative environment with a thriving company. I'm on the right team!

Current Employee - Federal Benefits Department in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Federal Benefits Department in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Health Advocates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is rewarding, great healthy collaborative environment, Health Advocates is a healthy, thriving company that offers full benefits to its employees as well as paid sick days and even 1 paid personal day off! I enjoy the people I work with and am totally supported by management. We work 1/2 day EVERY Friday and they buy breakfast for the entire company twice a month. Their holiday parties are LEGENDARY and I truly enjoy my co-workers (and my job). It is everything I applied for and more.

Cons

It starts at 7:30 AM which is a little early with only a 45 minute lunch break and the coffee in the break room is pretty bad.

As an employee, we would feel appreciated if we were recognized for our strengths and allowed to build on them.

pathetic attempt to cover up

Former Employee - Eligibility Worker in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Eligibility Worker in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Health Advocates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ive met some of the best people after working here for so long - this goes for both coworkers and clients. Unfortunately i only work with some clients for a couple months at a time but still longer than many new hires stay before leaving.

Cons

the two 5 star reviews that are posted before my review are submitted by hr or management. Its their attempt to cover up the negative, yet true comments/ratings of those who posted previously.

just because you know how to build a successful company doesnt mean your good people.

Work is too overwhelming with no guidance

Current Employee - Case Manager in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Health Advocates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work 9 hour days to get out early every Friday.

Cons

Poor management. Management fails to assist on problematic issues. Management makes your case load seem like a personal problem. No one reads.

Sick policy is not realistic and should not be punished for being out sick. Train Managers to work as a Team.

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Health Advocates

Pros

Perks:
    Benefits (medical, dental vision), company picnics, free luncheons, paid training for some positions, annual bonuses and ample opportunity for advancement

Cons

The company is moving to Chatsworth, CA, which for some will increase their commute time.

Looks good at first glance.Under the covers a very sick company.

I worked at Health Advocates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Moderate small company benefits. Ok health insurance partially paid for employee only, 2 weeks vacation, 3 days / yr sick leave, 401k with minimal match, long days 4 days / wk, 5 hrs Friday. The work they do for their clients is important and usually done well. Too bad they don't treat their employees the same way.

Cons

Toxic culture, mostly bad managers with a few decent exceptions. Very high turnover. Low wages for the type of work performed. Minimal sick leave causes people to come to work sick. No indication that they give back to the community where the business is located. The pieces are there to make a company where people look forward to coming to work. Unfortunately, that potential is almost totally unrealized.

There is no point giving advice, it would not be heeded. To potential employees; unless you are totally desperate, look elsewhere.

A company that does not appreciate their employees.

Former Employee - Case Manager in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Health Advocates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the people that work here are amazing human beings. You have half days on Fridays. That's sadly where the positives end.

Cons

The "Partners" don't realize they lose more money and productivity training new hires due to the high turnover rate. Invest in your loyal hardworking employees and maybe they'll actually stay.

You lose out on productivity when you're constantly training new employees that don't have the efficiency of the current experienced employees. Appreciate your current employees more and they will worker harder for you. Stop trying to pay your employees as little as possible while assigning obscene case loads and then blaming them for not keeping up. Why would anyone work hard when they're barely making above minimum wage and doing 3 people's work? Would you be able to stay productive getting such low pay with an obscene work load and then being talked down to by your supervisor for not keeping up? Didn't think so. Get it together Health Advocates.

This Is A Joke Right?!?!?!

I worked at Health Advocates full-time

Pros

ZERO, not a single thing!

Cons

Essentially anything and everything that you can think of is a con about this place! The people, the wages, the cost of benefits, the fact that you are treated like a number instead of a human being. I've had some crappy jobs in my life but this one takes the cake by far!!!

The management staff, amongst the rest of the staff, should all be replaced ASAP.