Health Catalyst Reviews

4.7
Health Catalyst CEO Dan Burton
Dan Burton

1. Featured Review

Amazing start up making a difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health Catalyst is an amazing place with a focus on transparency, a senior group of smart and kind leaders and an incredible market opportunity. I have worked for several other start ups and all others have been plagued with volatility, uncertainty, and ruthless executives and this company has none of the former and the latter but has a bit of uncertainty over the years but I knew all about the finances and the risks we were facing since management has been so transparent.

Cons

There is a lot of work that challenges a person trying to balance non work obligations of life. The company says that family comes first and I feel that is sincere but it is hard to not feel the pressure to work evenings based on the expected growth but hey this is a start up and I wouldn't expect otherwise.

Advice to Management

keep up the amazing transparency. The all team member meetings are like a Harvard class room lecture. We talk finance strategy HR sales and marketing and the nitty gritty details are shared. I feel like I could start my own business after several years watching and learning. Thanks.

Mar 31, 2015Chief Financial Officer

I was in a meeting with our CEO, Dan Burton the other day, and he made the comment that one of his goals/greatest professional wishes 10-20 years from now would be to look back on his career, and be ... More

2. Amazing place to work

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a great mission. It really values its employees. The culture is amazing. They take care of you. I've never seen better benefits. Compensation is above average. Senior management is smart and trustworthy. Our concerns are heard and acted upon.

Cons

It's getting big fast, so it's getting harder to recognize all the new faces. The CEO manages to do it, though.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I love our vision. The transparency is unprecedented and very well appreciated. Keep covering our mission, operating principles, and cultural attributes. I plan to take those wherever I go.

Very pleased with the decision to join Health Catalyst

Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am about six months in at this point and there are a ton of Pros...many will be mentioned by other reviewers, but here is a list of some that stand out to me. The Ownership mentality that is instilled and encouraged in all employees, the work/life balance, the company mission and purpose, the generous reimbursements and benefits, the great working environment, a company that really lives its values. I had read Dan Pink's book drive recently before joining Health Catalyst & was pleased to find many of the principles that are praised in that book to be employed here.

Cons

The cons here pale in comparison to the pros, but they do exist. For me it was the on-boarding/training process which didn't feel adequate. I know there have been measures taken already to improve that so it is better now & getting better still. Also there are a lot of things that go unexplained, so when you're new it can sometimes be tough to keep yourself in the loop on certain things. These are not deal breakers by any means, but in fairness there are challenges like these.

Advice to Management

Don't let anything change the culture you've built at Health Catalyst! I love it here and look forward to the future. Keep the transparency & ownership focus that you allow all employees to participate in. I'm glad to see employee feedback taken seriously and acted upon. Thank you for helping to provide a place like Health Catalyst to the employees, the clients, and all those involved.

May 13, 2015Chief Financial Officer

Thank you for your comments and for choosing to join Heath Catalyst! We know that our team members really do have a choice when it comes to where they choose to work, and we try not to lose sight of ... More

5. Great place to work, grow, and learn

Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst (More than a year)

Pros

Ultimate flexibility and work-life balance. Mission-driven organization, dedicated to improving health and healthcare.

Cons

New products/ideas can be slow to gain momentum as we transition from a start-up to an organization that is positioning for an IPO.

By far my favorite and yet most challenging job ever.

Current Employee - Senior Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As well as echoing all the positives from the other reviews, I love that my opinion counts and is listened to. I feel that I can affect change if I have a good idea. I love coming to work every day and working with some amazing and trusted friends to make a positive difference. I can't say enough positive things about this place. But I'm a realist. I know we have issues (see below) but the good so outweighs the negatives. I love my job!

Cons

We are growing fast and while many of our problems are good ones to have (e.g. can't hire fast enough), we have genuine issues. Our internal communication can be very poor. Even though leadership is very open, we can be awful at communicating change officially and instead rumors just start. We struggle to keep up with documentation and create consistency in our methodologies.
    That being said, it is a safe environment to surface these issues (I would not be afraid to say all this in an all-company meeting). Furthermore, I feel that we have the support to address and take ownership of issues like these. So, if you want a job where you are told what to do and how to do it, this is NOT the place for you; however, if you want somewhere where your voice can be heard and where you not only have the freedom but are encouraged to innovate and find new solutions, then this IS for you.

Advice to Management

I have absolute confidence in our senior leadership. They are smart, experienced men who care about their employees. To our next layers of management let's work on our communication.

Apr 9, 2015Chief Financial Officer

Thank you for your kind review, but also for your words of advice. I agree that we have genuine issues, just as all companies do. I also agree that while we are quite open as an organization, and ... More

Enjoyable challenge and growth experience

Current Employee - Data Architect in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Data Architect in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I find myself fortunate to work at Health Catalyst. I think the remarkable elements are the mission, culture, employees, and senior leadership. Benefits are good, but the feeling of appreciation is astounding. There are subtle ways to provide feedback and most of the time it is unsolicited. Humility takes on a new dimension as we work together and try to build a great firm.
    Working with clients can be challenging and rewarding work. Not having the responsibilities the client usually has, we can produce at a faster rate than they are able to alone. The challenge is to keep them engaged and involved in decision making throughout the process.
    I feel I am developing more skills than just data work, but analytic and process improvement. There are definitely more opportunities to grow in the healthcare product line as well.
    I love what I do and look forward to challenge myself every day.

Cons

Not all employees are allowed the freedom to work as I do. Under certain departments there are management issues. It is hard to deal with those issues, since it is a small company and management is rewarded by seniority not by proficiency. I hope in time it rounds itself out.
    Growth can be challenging and scary. Commitments to timelines can interfere with personal life and it might not improve in the long run. With unlimited PTO, it is hard to account for the time you have taken off to recharge. It is a good thing Health Catalyst gives company holidays of 5 days off in a row for Independence Day and Christmas.

Advice to Management

Catalyst Academy should include a course in the "Catalyst way of management." If I were to become a Technical Director, I would appreciate understanding the role and how to leverage others without micro-managing their work. Also, I know most great managers are sincere and pass appreciation often. I have a great manager who follows that approach with others. However, I hear others aren't having a similar experience with their managers.
    In some cases I found a few managers that appear to be hyper-defensive. A simple concern might involve HR. This might be a simple performance review, where a concern is brought up, but based on employees reaction, they could be terminated. I hope this isn't the case with most, but thought to provide some form of feedback to make Health Catalyst a better firm with longevity.

Apr 10, 2015Chief Financial Officer

Thank you very much for your advice. I could not have said it better-- Catalyst Academy DOES need to include a course entitled "Catalyst way of management". In fact, I will go a step further and ... More

The most fulfilling, rewarding, and challenging time in my career so far.

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been involved in so many different facets of our company, in product development, marketing, and implementation... with current and prospective clients. Those were all of great interest to me in fulfilling career goals. All employees are evaluated in part based on the sales of the company, so there is alignment between company and individual goals. Leadership has been very transparent consistently, and they set a great example and direction for employees to follow. Those in senior leadership demonstrate highly effective attributes and continually manifest a keen awareness of the needs of shareholders, of clients, and of employees. There is so much freedom to innovate and contribute to product design and customer value. We have innovation time set aside. Leadership "walks the talk" to the extent possible. This is much appreciated. Processes across the company, such as in new hire onboarding or partnering with clients, are being strengthened continually.

Cons

It is challenging to know when to stop working... in part because I enjoy it and there is so much to do, but also in part because there is always more client work that can be done. But some of that is mitigated by our growth and the skills of new hires. Growth can be so challenging in other ways; new employees bring assumptions and methods of executing that are different from current practices in place at HC. This definitely causes some frustrations inevitably (both with current and new employees---as does any change anywhere), and it can be both a challenge and a blessing to deal with.

Advice to Management

Continue the transparency and in keeping with the values that have helped us grow thus far.

Mar 31, 2015Chief Financial Officer

Thank you for your hard work! Agree with the challenges we have ahead!

9. Amazing Potential

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been an executive in a number of different organizations in my 30+ years and never seen a leadership team more committed to doing the right thing for their clients, the industry they serve, and their employees. To give you an example of the ethics and values of the leadership team, while the executive salary in other similar-sized companies averages over 300% more than the average salary of the employees, the Health Catalyst leadership team has an average salary that is only 40% higher than that of their Health Catalyst teammates. There are no career climbers on the executive team-- they've all been successful elsewhere-- and that selfless attitude along with a dogmatic commitment to always do the right thing, with transparency, filters throughout the company.

Cons

It's a startup with rapid growth so the company is going through all the things you would expect with that. If you aren't comfortable with a startup environment, you probably won't enjoy Health Catalyst for very long. That said, for a startup, the company is amazingly well managed and stable.

Mar 31, 2015Chief Financial Officer

Thank you for your review and perspective. Agree that this is a fast-paced environment, and certainly can be challenging-- but I also find it to be one of the most rewarding places I have ever ... More

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, ability to telecommute, friendly coworkers, competitive pay, opportunity for every employee to own stock. The PTO policy is basically to take what you need either for sick or vacation time, and they trust employees to not abuse it. The company values transparency and innovation, which fosters an open environment where I feel like my opinion matters and I can contribute when I see areas for improvement.

Cons

Most positions require some travel, but I feel that this is offset by the ability to work from home periodically. Desperately need standardization around several processes such as project management and version control of analytic applications-- too many people are doing things in different ways.

Mar 31, 2015Chief Financial Officer

Thank you for your thoughts/suggestions. We also see the need for standardization and project management (in appropriate forms) as being vital to our ability to scale the business. Thanks again.

An innovative company with great benefits and a terrific culture and caring executive leadership

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Executive team and management are accessible and reflect the values and mission of the company. Great benefits and work/life balance values. Base pay is excellent and good opportunities for bonus pay and ownership stake in the company

Cons

The company emphasizes collaboration and communication within and amongst teams and while I enjoy working in that kind of environment, it is not always a great fit for some people.

Advice to Management

Keep reflecting the values and mission of the company. The work-life balance that is encouraged and the benefits to support that balance (reimbursement, vacation, schedule and work-from-home flexibility) are great differentiators as an employer.

Mar 31, 2015Chief Financial Officer

Thank you very much for your constructive thoughts on how we can continue to improve. As a management team, our goal is to do everything we can to embody the values that got us to this point, and do ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed