Health Catalyst Reviews

33 reviews filtered by
4.6
Dan Burton

1. Featured Review

Best company in my career

Current Employee - Executive in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health Catalyst is mission-driven with a positive culture and is filled with smart, hardworking and humble co-workers
    solving a critical problem with the industry's best solution. There is talent and depth in each functional area of the company.

Cons

One challenge for myself and many others is finding a way to maintain work/life balance through the rapid growth phase the company is experiencing. Also, it will be challenging to maintain the positive culture amid significant expansion in hiring. Further, as the company adds more customers, it will be a challenge to keep success and satisfaction levels where they have historically been. I believe the company will do it, though.

keep focus on the culture and on customer success.

Mar 13, 2015Chief Financial Officer

Thanks for your review, completely agree that in order for us to be successful, we will need to continue our focus on customers and culture. Thanks again!

Amazing start up making a difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health Catalyst is an amazing place with a focus on transparency, a senior group of smart and kind leaders and an incredible market opportunity. I have worked for several other start ups and all others have been plagued with volatility, uncertainty, and ruthless executives and this company has none of the former and the latter but has a bit of uncertainty over the years but I knew all about the finances and the risks we were facing since management has been so transparent.

Cons

There is a lot of work that challenges a person trying to balance non work obligations of life. The company says that family comes first and I feel that is sincere but it is hard to not feel the pressure to work evenings based on the expected growth but hey this is a start up and I wouldn't expect otherwise.

keep up the amazing transparency. The all team member meetings are like a Harvard class room lecture. We talk finance strategy HR sales and marketing and the nitty gritty details are shared. I feel like I could start my own business after several years watching and learning. Thanks.

Working at Health Catalyst has been a very positive experience, one in which I have grown professionally.

Current Employee - Senior Director, Client Engagement in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Client Engagement in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst

Pros

There are many pros. Working from home has been a very positive in my work/life balance. The work schedule is very flexible and if I need to go to one of my kids sporting events during the day, no one has issues with it. The culture is very much one of get your work done not you have to be at your desk from 9:00-5:00. As a small company there are lots of opportunities to help build processes and standards and get our hands dirty.

Cons

Just as being small can be positive, if one is looking for a company with well defined processes, Catalyst is probably not the place to be. I'd much rather, however, work for a company where I can contribute and build than a large company where my voice isn't heard.

Mar 18, 2015Chief Financial Officer

Thank you for your thoughts. I agree we are very dynamic, and that can make some people uncomfortable as they watch the "sausage making process". I agree that, for me at least, the uncertainty that ... More

5. Best company I've worked for

Current Employee - Technical Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, ability to telecommute, friendly coworkers, competitive pay, opportunity for every employee to own stock. The PTO policy is basically to take what you need either for sick or vacation time, and they trust employees to not abuse it. The company values transparency and innovation, which fosters an open environment where I feel like my opinion matters and I can contribute when I see areas for improvement.

Cons

Most positions require some travel, but I feel that this is offset by the ability to work from home periodically. Desperately need standardization around several processes such as project management and version control of analytic applications-- too many people are doing things in different ways.

I love working here -- I've never worked at a place like Health Catalyst. Mid-size company with a small company feel.

Current Employee - Client Operations in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Client Operations in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are the biggest pro -- lots of 'A' players without the attitude. Flexibility to work remotely. Training/Education programs. Unlimited PTO Stock options. Relevant, world-changing work.

Cons

Major growing pains. We have a ton of clients, and it is always a struggle to stay on top of the additional work. We also have some very bold goals as a company, so there is always a balance needed on work & life as well as doing quality work for clients without getting bogged down.

Switching to product line staffing model was a big plus. Gotta keep an eye on scale.

A company focused on success of customers and making a real difference in healthcare.

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee and culture focused organization encouraging employees to magnify their strengths. Greatest company i have worked for.
    I love the unique culture - encouragement of work life balance through unlimited PTO, providing generous benefits, providing and encouraging healthy lifestyles, and recognition of all employees at all levels for jobs well done.
    I love the unique approach to measuring success across the organization - defined measures equally across all levels of the organization, transparency in the goals as well as our achievements, and including actual customer success as a measure for the company.
    I love the recognition and management involvement with the employees - monthly all team member meetings where all are encouraged to participate (not just a ra-ra pep rally), Sr. Management participation in day to day activities, and full transparency and disclosure of decisions that affect each and every employee.

Cons

The company seems to be in the 'Teenager' stage of maturity. With all kinds of activity firing inside showing ideas (good and bad) actively trying to influence the organization causing, at times, a struggle for various identities. This is a phase and maturity is bound to prevail....as with all teenagers, they eventually they grow up.

Stay true to the promise:
    'Make sure those things don’t change as you grow. Lots of other things will need to change, but make sure you identify the things that can’t change.'

Believe the hype!

Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Seriously the best place I've ever worked. I know that sounds hokey and rings false, but I really mean it. The people here care and are among the smartest group you'll ever be around. The mission and cultural attribute of Health Catalyst are real, and we live them, from the newest person up to our CEO and President.

Cons

We're still in start-up mode and we all work very hard. Not necessarily a con, but sometimes you really have to take the initiative to achieve work-life balance. It's possible thanks to the amazing PTO policy, but with so much work to do, it doesn't always feel like a good time.

In addition to the gym (which is great by the way), starting a mindfulness program would be a great way to spark creativity and help mitigate the effects to working long hours. Also, ensuring every employee has access to a window or outside light from their work station would help a lot with productivity I think.

Mar 19, 2015Chief Financial Officer

Would love to hear more about a mindfulness program. You can contact Heather Metcalfe (or me) with ideas on this topic.

Also agree that windows/natural light are an important part of
    ... More

Health Catalyst is a unique, mission focused company focused on transforming healthcare by improved outcomes!

Current Employee - Improvement Line Leader in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Improvement Line Leader in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is mission focused and principle based. Leadership lives the principles and emulates the 'Catalyst Way' everyday. In my 25 year career in healthcare and HIT, Catalyst is the best organization I have worked for. I heartily recommend joining the team for anyone that loves to innovate, work hard, collaborate with a fantastic team, and make a positive difference in a company and bringing data driven change to healthcare! Smart, hardworking and humble. Solid benefits, compensation, in a dynamic, growing, stimulating environment. Simply the BEST!

If you are the type of person who sees a problem you can help solve, are eager to jump in with both feet, organize a team, and take action; you will likely be successful. If you like to see problems, identify them and wait to be assigned to task a force or gab at the water cooler to about the latest dumb management decision; look somewhere else.

Cons

Agile environment, rapid change, make some people uneasy. If a start up makes you nervous, if you need lots of direction to succeed, you will not be happy here.

Push even more responsibility and decision making down a level or two. With the rapid growth of customer base, product offerings, and employee growth, scale will depend on autonomous daily operations and great leaders across the organization, not just the SLT.

Mar 19, 2015Chief Financial Officer

I could not agree more with your advice. We will only succeed as we push down responsibility and decision making, and trust not only the next level down, but another two levels below that, to make ... More

It really is as awesome as people tell you that it is.

Current Employee - Data Architect in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Current Employee - Data Architect in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time

Pros

Great culture, great people, powerful mission-driven company; an industry leader; very generous compensation and unlimited PTO

Cons

We all understand that there will sometimes be tasks that are not the most glamorous or exciting.

Thank you!

Most people don't believe my description of Health Catalyst

Current Employee - Data Architect in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Data Architect in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Health Catalyst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are on paper things that everyone looks for: ~20 company holidays, unlimited PTO, highly competitive salary, stand up desks, on site gym, plenty of snackage, yada yada. All fantastic.

But I think what sets Health Catalyst apart is how they treat and motivate employees. They give you ownership, and they trust you to make decisions like an owner. You feel empowered and respected and appreciated. For those reasons alone, I would stay here even if offered significantly more money at a different company. It's hard to put a number on being valued.

Cons

Because of the fast pace of growth and sense of ownership, it feels like I always have several highly important things to do. Even though we are given plenty of opportunity to take PTO and keep a work life balance, it is hard to do so when you know you have a lot of work to do. I find myself wanting to work at night, or over the weekend, to finish up one more thing, or provide value here or there. Its great to work for a engaging company, but hard to know when to stop when you know you'll be appreciated for the extra work. Is this even a con...?

Absolutely none. They are always looking for ways to be better and innovate in management.

Mar 18, 2015Chief Financial Officer

I know how you feel. I have found myself on more than one occasion having to step back and "rebalance". Whether its putting off something I planned to do over the weekend to Monday in favor of ... More