Health Decisions

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Rosenberg

Good group of people-need more training

In House CRA (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsI enjoy working here. There are negatives, however I feel no company or job is perfect and after 10+ years experience in clinical research, I feel this is a good company, with good people and I hope to stay for a very long time. All the people I have met here have been really great to work with. Everyone is hard-working and knowledgeable about the field. The work is interesting and upper management seems to listen to issues or concerns. My manager is not a micromanager and they trust you to be professional and get the job done. The hours are flexible, you can work from home some days, bring your dog to work, and the dress code is casual. There is matching 401K, decent medical and generous PTO. Teamwork seems to be a big focus here. I have been very impressed by the positive and upbeat culture. The building is nice and pretty centrally located in the Triangle so commuting there is easy. There are walking trails and picnic areas around the office park so it's easy to go outside for a walk during lunch and get a little exercise in. CEO is accessible and friendly as is the rest of upper management. Employee outings such as Durham Bulls game, Dave and Busters and a HUGE Cinco de Mayo celebration.

ConsTraining here is lacking and that is the biggest problem HD has. The training received is not adequate and does not prepare you for the job and the lack of training causes stress on the teams. They have brought in some new people in training department so hopefully it will get better, but right now, the training is the worst of any company I have ever been at. The trainer, while nice, is not engaging and does not know enough about being a CRA to train them. If you don't have previous clinical research experience you will be lost. There is also not enough push back to the sponsors for going outside of the contract. My team is constantly asked to do more and more that is not part of the scope of work and it is telling on the team. Management needs to grow a backbone with the sponsors and be truthful and upfront about what can and cannot be done and what is and is not reasonable. While the managers do listen I'm afraid HD will lose valuable people if they don't recognize that this is making the work load unmanageable even though people are working long hours. There is a feeling of being constantly behind. There is also a lot of change in what the teams are asked to do. Project Managers need to provide clear direction and guidance and provide better team/study training. The clinical trial data management system designed by the company is SLOW. It needs drastic improvements. The speed severely hampers what the team can get done and affects quality of work. The system is easy to use, can give GREAT reports, is intuitive and I like everything about it except the speed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't underestimate to amount of time, resources and work it will take to get a job done so you can underbid and get a new contract. Seems like you just shoot yourself in the foot doing that. Upgrade CDMS to provide faster response time. Improve the training department and study training.

Miserably mismanaged

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsGenerous PTO. Starting pay isn't too shabby. Subject area is interesting (women's health). Cubicles are big. Building looks nice. Some talented and nice people at the bottom ranks. Looks like a nice place to work on the surface.

ConsEXTREMELY low morale. "Good ol' boys" culture (you're either in or you're out). High turnover endemic throughout every department. Abysmally-low job satisfaction. Mushroom management. Bonus program is a joke and a lie. Homophobia and sexism are both acceptable and encouraged by management. Shady (possibly illegal) business practices. Passive aggression to the max. "Serpico" draws some comparisons.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmit to yourself you don't know what you're doing. Learn basic management principles. Hint: It's more than simply lording over your subordinates and claiming credit for their labor.

Small but flexible

In House CRA II (Current Employee)

ProsSmart, relaxed, casual environment with interesting projects. Some automated processes that make your job a lot easier. You can bring your dog to work. Ability for sponsors to get real time reports. People seem to move up here and are rewarded for their hard work and initiative. The political games I've seen at larger companies don't seem to go on here. CEO and senior management is very accessible.

ConsThere does seem to be endless spreadsheets. They need a CTMS system and work the kinks out of the current EDC system. Training department needs a complete overhaul, needs to provide more clarity on what they expect and what you need to complete and need better trainers. A lot of times team members have to step in to help new employees with things that should have been covered in training.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeef up the training department. The training that was received was mediocre at best. Better training leads to fewer mistakes and people feel less 'lost' when they are put on a team. Training department also needs more transparency and instruction. This problem will continue to snowball if not addressed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe hours are reasonable, the atmosphere is generally relaxed, the dress code is easygoing. My senior manager was relatively hands-off and let me do my own thing, within reason. There are opportunities to get involved in various aspects of the company, which made it a great place to get experience.

ConsMy senior manager was relatively hands-off; I didn't exactly get any training. The modus was to fly by the seat of their pants. While this provided for opportunities to get involved/noticed, the lack of structure made it feel like a startup. Sometimes it felt like the executive leadership's expectations were disconnected with reality. Turnover felt high, but some people had been there for a long time. My salary wasn't stellar.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I could make one suggestion, it would be to invest a little bit in employee training. It doesn't have to be much, just an introduction and a couple of follow-up meetings to see if there are any concerns.

Great company to move up and learn quickly.

In House CRA II (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, flexibility, promotions within

ConsLower salary than most companies, since it's a smaller company its a lot of who you know, not how well you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementBase promotions/salary on merit and not friendship.

Still not sure what it wants to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people (if they have not reached burnout)
    Flexible scheduling
    Employee culture driven to improve

ConsCEO is an entrepreneur-type who should have sold out years ago, and is too involved in sales
    Too much of a personality cult around the leader

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide if you want to be an excellent small company or seriously invest in growth. Either way is good, but you have to decide.

Learned a lot of cutting edge technology, but very bad experience overall

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsCutting edge technology in statistical and clinical research software.
    Learned a lot about software development process

ConsUnprofessional behavior in upper management.
    Drama every day wore out good people.
    Nepotism put incompetent people into management, and they torpedoed people lower down the hierarchy.
    Sexually explicit language was the norm.
    CEO openly insulted members of management team, especially women

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the difference between pretending to run a business and really running a business.
    Respect others.

GGood

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood place to get varied experiences.

ConsInexperienced project management, very nepotistic culture

worked at Health Decisions for more than 3 years

Director (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsInteresting people, good life/work balance tho has to be earned. If you're good, you get opportunities you wouldn't have anywhere else. Culture is relaxed but don't mistake that for being a no-work kind of place--you need to learn and grow to be successful. There's a real commitment to the customer.

ConsWork can be pretty demanding at times. IT's not for everybody--if you want a relaxing place, this isn't it. Turnover has been an issue, including at higher levels (but that has its good parts, too)

Advice to Senior ManagementStability!

Health Decisions

Senior CRA (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsVery relaxed atmosphere. Willing to give applicants with little to no experience exposure to clinical research.

ConsLittle to no orientation to current operating procedures. Lack of sufficient training on current guidelines. Little to no oversight by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater attention to quality and fiscal responsibilities to clients would be of great help in retaining clients.

Worked for Health Decisions? Contribute to the Community!