Health Fitness Reviews

Reset
3.1
Health Fitness President & CEO Paul Lotharius
Paul Lotharius

Pros
  • The full time positions offer salary and good benefits as well as paid time off (in 5 reviews)

• decent benefits, ok pay, GREAT people, learned a lot (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No bonuses, very low pay, and not alot of room for growth (in 7 reviews)

• There is no room for growth and they don't encourage professional development (in 3 reviews)

1. Assistant program manager

Current Employee - Assistant Program Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Program Manager

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get to help employees become healthier. Company refunds you for continuing education (up to $500/year).

Cons

Too much favoritism; low merit increase based on annual performance - not even equal to industry standards. Growth opportunities and learning enhancements not given correctly by program manager (varies by site).

Advice to Management

Keep your staff happy with many opportunities for growth, fair working conditions with no favoritism and great merit increases!

2. HealthFitness Professional

Current Employee - HealthFitness Professional in Covington, KY
    Current Employee - HealthFitness Professional in Covington, KY

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full-time employees receive full benefits and 401K match. They offer certification reimbursements if you can prove that your site is in demand of the certification that you are trying to fulfill. They have great programs to deliver to your site and you can learn a lot simply by delivering these programs. PTO is accumulated and you earn PTO hours per paycheck. PTO rolls over into the next year, so you can save up your PTO hours and take a big trip if you wanted to. Although HealthFitness Corp is a good company to work for, it really depends on the site that you are at. I really enjoy my site and the Fitness Center members, my manager and co-workers. I never take my job home with me. I am off on holidays and weekends and I have set hours that I work. If you are a personal trainer, you can train people and earn extra money during your workday. At least that was the case for me at my site.

Cons

Insurance offered is not great. They only offer the high deductible plan for full-time employees (which most companies are switching to if they have not already). But it is expensive per paycheck if you have a spouse or dependents and you have to pay a lot out of pocket on top of that. You don't save any money with the high deductible plan. If the site you are at decides not renew their contract with HealthFitness, you are out of a job. You will be sent lists of job openings for HealthFitness Corp across the country, but you are not guaranteed a job with them at another location. It is hard to move up in HealthFitness Corp. I started out as an intern and was lucky enough that when my internship was over, the current part-time employee (who had been working part-time for 3 years) left to get a full-time job. I worked part-time for a year and was also lucky enough that my site opened a second Fitness Center on campus and I was promoted to full-time to run that Fitness Center. Otherwise, I probably would have been stuck working part-time with no benefits and no raises. Your raise depends on the merits given to you from the site you are at. I have never received a raise from HealthFitness Corporation, only from the corporation I am contracted to work in. So no matter how well you do on your annual review, you will not get a raise, only if you are in management.

3. Unpaid internship

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

great facilities and staff present

Cons

Not very structured Not many advancement opportunities

5. Health Fitness Specialist

Current Employee - Health Fitness Professional
    Current Employee - Health Fitness Professional

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time

Pros

Benefits, Job Security, opportunities for growth & development, positive reinforcement from management

Cons

Pay is competitive for the area; but with so many credentials, it would be nice to see a little more pay out.

6. Interview process

Current Employee - Fitness Instructor
    Current Employee - Fitness Instructor

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

The interview process was great and I look forward to being part of their team. Seems like a great company with many opportunities for career growth.

Cons

The distance is not ideal.

It is a good starting position but nothing else.

Former Employee - Reporting Analyst
    Former Employee - Reporting Analyst

I worked at Health Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work was very easy and my director and head of my department were very easy to get along with and have an open discussion. Due to the position that I was in, I was able to work out of my home and didn't have to report to the Dallas or Minneapolis office. The management was flexible in my work hours and I found that they were almost always willing to meet any sort of vacations, PTO, or issues I had. The benefits weren't bad but there was talk of them moving to a high deductible only type of insurance plan in the near future. I cannot comment on the conditions of working in their HQ since I never had to.

Cons

There was/is a serious lack of growth and employee investment in the company. We were given very little opportunity to grow within the dept and there was no future plan in site for my position. The career goals seemed to be pulled out of thin air with very minimal requirements for completion. There was also a lot of removal of certain responsibilities from my team without any rhyme or reason why. We were also given false information on timelines in terms of a new platform we were to be using in the future that was supposed to alleviate a lot of manual work, but it never came through properly. There is also a lot of favoritism in my dept in terms of "new" opportunities and work distribution. Basically if you weren't there from the beginning or made a mistake on something, all of your opportunities were cut off and never given back to you. The pay was also abysmal. It was well below industry and local standards. They claimed to have done an equity survey but I was still below the median income.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, make them feel welcome. Give them proper training, career goals, paths, and compensation. There is a lot of turn over due to unhappy employees and you seem to do nothing to retain good employees. A lot of peoples skills and strengths go unused due to favoritism and lack of opportunity to grow and learn.

Program Coordinator

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

Laid back atmosphere with enjoyable responsibilities

Cons

Low income, networkability and subjective elements are considered over objective duties and performance during promotions

9. FItness Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Normal, IL

I have been working at Health Fitness (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great environment, plenty of site locations all over country. Variations in client sites keep the job interesting

Cons

Pay. HealthFitness needs to pay their employees more, it is an issue among all employees thoughout the company.

Advice to Management

pay your employees more, create more opportunities for people to move up in the company.

10. Modern Day Egypt

Current Employee - Health Advisor in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Health Advisor in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting paid money. Friends. Coffee, Clocking out and leaving.

Cons

"Come let us deal shrewdly with them to stop their increase." Health Fitness in modern day Egypt. Many groups conspire to stop our increase: doctors, nurses, therapists, talk show hosts, government agencies, Health Fitness. At the head of this conspiracy is satan. satan has used his pawns to shrewdly attempt to take control of others. Poor leadership, low pay, unrealistic expectations, owners and leadership who care less than zero about being actual leaders and helping each other out. An inept HR department, fake leaders, and always fires to put out yet an installation of fear in the masses makes helpful feedback impossible. Similar to prison work release.

Advice to Management

Recuse yourselves from any semblance of leadership to start.

Outstanding Company

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Health Fitness (More than 3 years)

Pros

Phenomenal people to work with and a product that really does some good. I am in product development, so some of the things I read hear seem odd. Is the product perfect? No, it's only 99+% accurate, and getting better all the time. It is more than good enough to convince our users to lose weight, stop smoking, start exercising etc, and as a result save our clients a lot of money. And that is a tribute to the product and the people who support it. I have personally seen a number of instances of people being promoted to better playing jobs and/or jobs with more responsibility. I have seen people laid off when things were tight, only to be rehired when things improved. I have seen people leave and come back. This is a place people like to work.

Cons

This is a fast growing business. The work can be long, hard, and sometimes pressure packed. I have seen some talented people burn out. It is not a punch-the-time-clock collect-a-paycheck type business. So if you want something slow-paced or low pressure, this might not be for you.

Advice to Management

This is one of the better managed companies I have worked for. We are in a high grow subsidiary of a solid insurance company. That probably cause strains but they don't seem to filter down to my level, so keep up the good work.

RSS Feed </> Embed