Health Fitness

Updated January 26, 2015
2.9

Health Fitness President & CEO Paul Lotharius
Paul Lotharius

Pros
  • The full time positions offer salary and good benefits as well as paid time off (in 5 reviews)

• Great people, travel opportunities, comprehensive benefits packages, growth opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No bonuses, very low pay, and not alot of room for growth (in 7 reviews)

• They don't listen to the employees and wonder why there is a high turnover (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Incredible People, Amazing Potential

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people, their passion, leadership, and the ability to make a difference are the highlights of the company. It's not a company that's plagued by politics; rather, it's an organization of hard working, caring, bright, dedicated people.

Cons

The biggest challenge is workload. The organization runs lean, so it takes discipline, time management skills and the ability to prioritize to stay focused.

Keep doing what you're doing. You're on the right path, in my humble opinion, and I am excited about the future of HealthFitness. Leadership is comprised of some of the most genuine and talented people I have had the privilege to work for.

A good place to work, a lot of young health professionals work here. Everyone is so friendly.

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

Good stepping stone into the health field. Most of the people working here are recent graduates, so it's easy to meet a lot of people. It's nice that you actually use your education to inform people about lifestyle choices, it's a fulfilling job.

Cons

The hours aren't the best, usually working from 12-9. A lot of the staff is overqualified for the position, and the pay doesn't compensate for it.

Innovative and Strategic Company, Passionate Employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

I have been here a year and half and the whole time my manager gave me opportunities to be involved in more than just my core job function which helped me to receive a recent promotion. I do not work in a health related field but I love wellness and fitness. For those who feel a similar way, working at the corporate headquarters is a great environment because we participate in all kinds of wellness activities (company sponsored 5k, nutrition challenges, parties, healthy Friday breakfast, etc.) that you wouldn't find in many work environments. This is a company full of educated, friendly and motivated people and the atmosphere at the corporate office is generally positive.

We are kept well informed of the company's direction, strategy and performance. Our CEO and senior leaders speak to us directly on a regular basis to keep us up to date of where we are and where we are going as a company and as a department.

Cons

401k is not competitive, the health benefits are pretty good (we get incentives for participating in wellness challenges) but it would be nice to receive a discount on gym memberships as well, PTO and paid holidays are just average

Stay innovative and flexible, recognize the great people who work here and offer opportunities for challenge and growth, continue to communicate well from the top down

Life of a health advisor

Current Employee - Health Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Health Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Passionate co-workers. Great Vision. Flexible vacation requests.

Cons

Odd working hours. Lack of growth. Small compensation for the amount of work done.

At first I thought this company was good. Then it came to light all of thr fraudulent activity that takes place.

I worked at Health Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will meet a bunch of fellow like minded health professionals that are in this field for the right reasons.

Cons

The corrupt managment team. Look up how many medical doctors are actually involved in this operation, setting up the programs, creating what is supposed to be the gold standard for health and you will come up with a big fat zero as your number. The entire concept is fraudulent. A way to have clients that have Trustmark insurance (parent company) sign up for yet another service to get Trustmark more revenue. Additionally, their state of the art IT softwade and programs have so many reported flaws that are simply brushed under the rug and not corrected and then advertised to the next customer as state of the art. Management is not available most of the time, they leave early, take long breaks, full vacation. When they return they expect things served to them on a silver platter. They will delete your name off documents and the put their name on top and present or send the work out as their own. If you say something about to them, they claim they had to make some changes because they found errors. They use the HR team to bury the hatchet on all of the fraud, sexual harrassement (reported), hiring of relatives and friends, misappropriation of assets and resources. HR has employees that have 2 year college educations and do not know how to handle situations appropriately.

Trustmark should replace the whole team of them especially HR.

employees treated like crap

Current Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

U and fellow employees are in it together
    power hungry managers especially human resources . U are allowed to travel if they have work

Cons

The people in charge of human resources. These people are trained to lie and drive out employees who have the nerve to complain. There is no room for advancement just to be tormented by managers. There is a severe shortage of jobs because of the attitude of management reflects how employees behave and clients have been lost u tell human resources but the people in charge if human resources hide it from management, They are clueless to how detrimental HR is too the company

Hire attorneys for clash action lawsuit as well as human resources allowing employees to be assaulted and harassed they lie and let it continue till u leave or are so hurt you can't returnThere is 1 woman who is the cause of the problems upper management knows what a criminal she is and she will eventually have to answer for her crimes. The company is a joke and a lot of the reviews written because we have been ordered by this woman to give positive reviews

Health Fitness is not what it appears to be.

Current Employee - Health and Fitness Professional
    Current Employee - Health and Fitness Professional

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Facilities look impressive however everything else is depressive. I can't wait to leave this company.

Cons

Bad management. Poor HR department. I was asked to do things that I don't believe are ethically correct to the customer by my manager. The manager is a name dropper and bully and threatens employees that they will use HR as a tool against them. HR will not support the employee, only the manager. We were even asked to go on this site to create a review to help increase their rating!

Low pay compared to the industry.

Lack of growth potential.

Lack of support or communication from the parent company.

Replace your HR department and then comb through your upper management by reviewing each persons history, turnover, personal relationships to others in management, credentials etc, you may be surprised at what is found.

I was told to do this

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was told to do this but want to be honest. You get to meet a large variety of people,clients and their employees. Being able to help others to maintain their health. Having a decent human resources would really help the employees and the company.They cover up any issues mistakes or concerns. If they do not like your complaints they will do everything they can to get you to quit. They tried to get me to quit but they could not drive me out. The company has been fined thousands of dollars in penalties for not having the correct staff at some screening events. Get new managers, supervisors, Vice Presidents and clean up the dishonesty.

Cons

There is no room for advancement. Trying to work and deal with a supervisor who was not well trained. You can ask a a simple question and the response you get has nothing to do with what you asked. There is so much confusion that I am not sure how the company can prosper. The company has one of the worse human resource department you will ever deal with. You can express a concern or a complaint u will be completely ignored and told to talk to your supervisor who is the reason you went to HR. HR is unable to handle any problems, concerns or complaints. They will lie, ignore you or just tell you they do not know what to do. The higher ups in HR are not interested in what you have to say.They are the people who are responsible for covering up issues. You are suppose to get an increase in salary after working for a certain amount of time. They will not tell you. You have to tell your manager who will not give HR the message. Then you go to them on your own and they delay the increase as long as possible. They send u policies but then never follow them. You are told you can not drink anything but water but the people in charge drink coffee pop
    snacks they are often hypocrites.

New Management would really help especially in human resources. They cover up any issues mistakes or concerns. If they do not like your complaints they will
    do everything they can to get you to quit .They tried to get me to quit but they could not drive me out. Get new managers, supervisors, Vice Presidents and clean up the dishonesty

Incompetence is their name

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Health Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is absolutely no reason to work for this place. It is much too hard to call it a corporationy

Cons

Run away if they offer you a job. Human Resources will decide after about a month if you will become a target. Do not file any complaints they will do nothing. The top dogs in HR to go after you if you make a single complaint. Be very careful they will drive you out.. They may pretend to back you then the top dogs will lie openly and make things up their lies will be will be obvious and you can not do anything they do not help you but persecute you will be harassed and tormented by the top dogs in HR also the Tina wigs also go after you. Beware this is not a joke.

Try a new line of business. Overhaul the big wigs and Tiny wigs of HR. The Tiny wigs
    of hr follow the big wigs it is time that they be replaced. The company's upper management need to start protecting employees from the nasty supervisors, Managers and HR. They are corrupt and it will never end.

There are no jobs or respect

Former Employee - Screener in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Screener in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Health Fitness as an intern (more than 5 years)

Pros

I can not really find a lot of pros. You do get to travel to little towns. You can pick what screening events you want to work if there is work available and you are one of the favorites.

Cons

Where to start. The company has no work at this time. They have lost so many clients. I have reported unproffessional behavior but the company never listens. I tell HR we are going to lose this client due to behavior of coworkers they never listen. As a result there has been a loss of clients and depleted and so little work. I have witnessed a coworker practicing his karate moves during a work event where wood goes flying across the room. I have seen the people who run the events throw cans of pop at people. They would rather lose the client then listen. The supervisors only know how to send out policies not interact or listen and communicate with Staff. You are suppose to be scheduled in a hotel if the client and work is out of town you get to the hotel they will never check u in till person in charge arrives which could be 10pm at night. The company should call in authorization so u can check in and get into your room. People who have been promoted to managers have little knowledge of their rolls. It is a struggle to get basic information. if u work an 8 hour day and it is a same day event company will no longer reimburse you for meals it could be a 12 to 16 hour day by the time u get home.

HR is very ineffective. They do not listen to you they really do not care what goes on nor do they handle any issue problems complaints by employees. Why employee feed back is not important i will never understand. I use to love the job but it has changed gone downhill so I moved on. There is no real work. I believe the supervisors managers know and cover up problems or complaint so upper management doesnt know what is really going on. They need to learn how to respect and care for employees especially when ur traveling out of town. U can just drive around or wonder around till u can get into your hotel room. If u call the company it takes 5 people till u get to a person who can assist you. Perhaps retraining HR employees to be proactive in dealing with employee complaints instead of hostility they want u to go away.