Health Fitness

Updated February 27, 2015
3.1

Health Fitness President & CEO Paul Lotharius
Paul Lotharius

Pros
  • The full time positions offer salary and good benefits as well as paid time off (in 5 reviews)

• Great people, travel opportunities, comprehensive benefits packages, growth opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No bonuses, very low pay, and not alot of room for growth (in 7 reviews)

• They don't listen to the employees and wonder why there is a high turnover (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Happy employee!

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful training, responsive management team, responsive support from several departments, pretty flexible work schedule

Cons

There is a super quick learning curve, but I don't know that that's exactly a con, just a challenge to overcome. Also, I think it's not really a con either, but perhaps gym membership subsidy? I mean we are a Health and Fitness company, so we compensated with assistance and encouragement to do that. It's a pretty standard benefit these days.

Keep up the good work! Continue with the great communication long after the employee is hired and encourage professional growth.

Incredible People, Amazing Potential

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people, their passion, leadership, and the ability to make a difference are the highlights of the company. It's not a company that's plagued by politics; rather, it's an organization of hard working, caring, bright, dedicated people.

Cons

The biggest challenge is workload. The organization runs lean, so it takes discipline, time management skills and the ability to prioritize to stay focused.

Keep doing what you're doing. You're on the right path, in my humble opinion, and I am excited about the future of HealthFitness. Leadership is comprised of some of the most genuine and talented people I have had the privilege to work for.

I enjoy working for this company, they have great leadership!

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

They help guide you through you career, from entry level on up and become not only mentors but friends. This company is consistently growing.

Cons

Depending on contracts, there may or may not be room for much professional growth.

NA

Great company, good pay, and professional coworkers.

Current Employee - On Call Screener in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - On Call Screener in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Health Fitness part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good which includes up to $24 per hour, depending on your education/experience; and mileage reimbursement. You get to choose your own schedule with plenty events to keep you busy. Also, the coworkers are professional, friendly, and helpful.

Cons

As a full time manager, it is hard to balance your personal life and work with all the traveling you must do.

They are doing a great job.

Great Company

Current Contractor - Medical Assistant in Merrillville, IN
    Current Contractor - Medical Assistant in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at Health Fitness as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Very professional, recommend highly to whoever needs employment!!

Cons

Advancement opportunities, always room for advancement!!

None

Great company that values their employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, good benefits, career growth opportunities and development, company culture is fun, access to work out facility in building is free including group exercise classes, and engaging health and wellness programming with a new platform to track your progress and participate in fun activities.

Cons

The company is in a state of growth, and with that can come some growing pains. I am excited about the direction the company is going, so the growth and changes are exciting to experience.

Keep up the good work! We are an industry leader, and with leading edge technology including our new BioVia suite of health management programs and iPads at screening events, we have a very positive outlook for the future of this company.

Excellent

Current Employee - Health Fitness Nurse in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Health Fitness Nurse in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Health Fitness part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Always willing to work with me and my schedule.

Cons

So far no cons for me in this RN position

Keep up the good work.

Over 20 great years and going strong...

Current Employee - Recruiting in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiting in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

HealthFitness has always offered opportunities for career growth, but over the past years the opportunities have expanded into a variety of areas of the business and allowed employees to venture into areas they may have never thought possible. I always feel challenged and supported by management and my co-workers (they are like an extended family) and always there to support you.

Cons

Honestly I can't think of any. I have always enjoyed the company and people I work with.

Continue to grow and expand as a company, so opportunities for associates grow too. Expand on benefit options, great add with Vision Care & tuition reimbursement, maybe some Orthodontics coverage.

FT Remote Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Flexibility. In my position as a remote full-time employee delivering services in the KC area, I have maintained a phenomenal work/life balance. You never can be sure of the weather, or predict when you might get sick, so being able to work from home was a huge plus. This would be one of the top reasons I took the position in the first place.
    2) Management. Obviously I can only speak for myself, but my department had a relatively quick management turnover but steadied itself with probably the best supervisor I've had to date. Again, this is just our department, but this manager was able to communicate extremely effectively with our team remotely and actually implemented much of our input.
    3) Position. The role I currently serve may not have all the advancement opportunities one could hope for (see "Cons" section) but has been very beneficial in various aspects of professional growth, such as public speaking and engagement.
    4) Compensation. This is a 'tweener, because while though salary might not be on the high end of the spectrum, nor potential raises, the compensation is still nothing to shake a stick at when one considers the flexibility as well as cell phone and mileage reimbursement, once and twice per month, respectively.

Cons

1) Advancement. My manager has been great at following through and inquiring about our professional goals and what steps we may take to learn more about HealthFitness as a company and the opportunities therein. The only problem is that they're headquartered out of Minneapolis, and more than likely a meaningful move up would involve relocation.
    2) Compensation. As noted above, this is a 'tweener because everyone would love to make more money and as I as told in my initial interview, most remote employees work two jobs. That honesty was appreciated.
    3) Electronic Systems/Platforms. Whether it's unveiling a new iPad tool for screenings or updating their work order environments, sometimes it feels like the company is quick to want to jump on the "new" thing or rush to a platform that may save them money in the long run but the short run is a stumble, trip, and fall.
    4) Work is here 'n there. I'm only saying this for those who may be interested in joining as an independent contractor for screenings. Remember, the role is "independent contractor" so you are not guaranteed events on a regular basis or at all. I've worked events for numerous companies since 2004 and this is supplemental income, not a full-time job.

With PGs to worry about and many eggs in a few very important baskets, my only concern is rushing a system and implementing it before it's ready to be unveiled. Don't get me wrong, even apps go through version updates and tweaks are always going to have to be made, but sometimes paying a little more for certain systems can pay off even better in the long run by retaining clientele with the fewest amount of headaches possible.

Innovative and Strategic Company, Passionate Employees

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

I have been here a year and half and the whole time my manager gave me opportunities to be involved in more than just my core job function which helped me to receive a recent promotion. I do not work in a health related field but I love wellness and fitness. For those who feel a similar way, working at the corporate headquarters is a great environment because we participate in all kinds of wellness activities (company sponsored 5k, nutrition challenges, parties, healthy Friday breakfast, etc.) that you wouldn't find in many work environments. This is a company full of educated, friendly and motivated people and the atmosphere at the corporate office is generally positive.

We are kept well informed of the company's direction, strategy and performance. Our CEO and senior leaders speak to us directly on a regular basis to keep us up to date of where we are and where we are going as a company and as a department.

Cons

401k is not competitive, the health benefits are pretty good (we get incentives for participating in wellness challenges) but it would be nice to receive a discount on gym memberships as well, PTO and paid holidays are just average

Stay innovative and flexible, recognize the great people who work here and offer opportunities for challenge and growth, continue to communicate well from the top down