Health Fitness

Health Fitness Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Health Fitness President & CEO Paul Lotharius

Paul Lotharius

Pros
  • Great people, travel opportunities, comprehensive benefits packages, growth opportunities(in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits; health insurance, dental, etc(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay for the qualifications they require(in 6 reviews)

• They don't listen to the employees and wonder why there is a high turnover(in 3 reviews)

No opportunities, micromanagement, toxic work environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood benefits; health insurance, dental, etc. HR staff are helpful when they're not covering for workplace harassment to avoid a law suit. Otherwise, not a lot of pros to be had at HFC.

ConsEverything else. Underpaying employees, treating them like dirt, having them jump through ridiculous bureacratic hoops. Toxic reviewing with unsubstantiated claims from third parties (not supervisors or peers, just mystery people named to attempt to lend credibility. Managers make a rule today, change it tomorrow, and stand over your shoulder everyday. No technological advancement. Penny wise, pound foolish operations.

Good entry level job but falls short of promises and presented opportunities. Terrible upper management.

Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood for entry level position and for minimal corporate wellness experience. Decent salary.

ConsTerrible management, unclear direction, difficulty taking time off, no support, bad hours, new ideas are not supported, very high turn-over rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your Program Managers and contracts more. Ensure Contract managers are qualified for position. This could be a great company if the right management is in place. Look into exit interviews.

Tepid place, low discipline, domineering product management

Development (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsRemote work ethic, flexibility to a point

ConsUnstated expectations, command and control mentality, uses buzz words without background or commitment. Company trying desperately to become competitive by rebuilding/reworking old software (long outdated) and trying to capture a new market.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak with folks, don't spend so much recruiting only to release when you're unstated expectations aren't met. Learn the basics of good management, regardless of the bind you're in with trying to hit unrealistic deadlines

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

poor, poor, poor should I say poor inexperienced senior management and leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers were great, I don't understand why they stay

ConsSenior management is the weakest, incompetent and most selfish group of people I've ever seen at any company I've worked for. It almost seems unreal at first like you are experiencing some sort of nightmare each day you go to work. Instead of trying to figure out a better way of doing things, they play the blame game to get themselves off the hook for any issues. This involves stealing credit for work that they delegated as well as blaming for things that did not work out as they planned even though all along they ignored the decisions that had to be made to finish something.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would shape up or ship out

Management needs to open their ears and hear us yelling

I Guess IT Looks Good On A Resume (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsFun coworkers. Flexible schedule. Fun office. Lots of office activity’s.

ConsVery low pay. No one listens to you or cares what you have to say. Poor leadership. No growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease please please liston to your employees. All the management does is hire Yes men and woman. There are a lot of very big flaws in the company that our team has been pointing out for the last year but no one will fix them until something falls apart. A very reactive company and not proactive. Pay is very low and they do not give raises. Staff is a revolving door because the good employees go to another company.

A lot of room for improvement

Health Fitness Professional (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with clients and making a difference in their lives was very fulfilling
    Health and dental benefits, 401K
    Paid time off and holidays
    Good work/life balance, although nontraditional hours can be physically and mentally draining

ConsDo not cover certification costs
    Etraining modules not a productive use of time, nor do they help develop skills
    High turnover
    Do not promote advancement of current employees
    Compensation was probably fair when considering actual job duties, but very low when considering education and certification requirements
    Difficult hours (this varies from site-to-site)

Poor management and they will throw you under the bus

Health Fitness Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsJob itself fun as long as it didn't involve management. Loved the client and members. Decent health insurance. Holiday pay and weekends off. Other than horrid management, very laid back work. Good stepping stone to future careers, but not really in the company.

ConsHorrible management. They don't listen to the employees and wonder why there is a high turnover. You can be the most loyal, dedicated employee and still get thrown under the bus. They would not give me a reason for letting me go after receiving a great job review and raise 3 weeks prior. I asked why and they said "we don't feel the need to explain." Poor pay for the qualifications they require and NO reimbursement for continuing education, which is REQUIRED by the job. By the way, they'll tell you they will reimburse, but somehow get out of it. Management played favorites and allowed employees to get away with some stuff while others got written up or fired for the same offense or less. There is very little room to advance. My manager put me down about my abilities and work ethic. I've NEVER been questioned about my work ethic and put in a lot of work doing duties outside my job description, taught 6 classes a week (which were a huge hit with the client, by the way) but now I'm thriving at a another company with twice the salary, so obviously they believe in putting down good employees and have poor judgement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at West/southwest management, increase pay or at least reimburse for CEC, stop playing favorites. Train program managers to be encouraging, not catty.

Don't expect to make a career out of this

Health Fitness Specialist (Current Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsFriendly people, and very easy laid back place to work . Flexible schedules and great cafeteria

ConsAbysmal pay, and no real opportunity to move up. It's a nice place to start out, but you can't really make a career out of this

Experience varies by site, unfortunately my site manager wasn't that great.

HFS (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat people to work with and develop together as professionals. Pretty simple tasks to do and it's easy to get work done.

ConsHorrible management in place. Program managers need to be heavily train to learn how to really develop and serve their employees, not constantly surf youtube for new zumba routines to teach.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop surfing the internet and do what you are paid to do.

It is okay, not the best

ProsFlexible work hours
    Ability to work from home
    Not a lot of work, if that is your thing

ConsNo clear direction for the company
    Pay is WAY below average for this market segment
    No good opportunities to move up
    Only certain people get to work from home while others cant with no good reason why

Advice to Senior ManagementGive clear career paths and increase pay

Worked for Health Fitness? Contribute to the Community!