Health Fitness

Updated February 27, 2015
3.1

Health Fitness President & CEO Paul Lotharius
Paul Lotharius

Pros
  • The full time positions offer salary and good benefits as well as paid time off (in 5 reviews)

• Great people, travel opportunities, comprehensive benefits packages, growth opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No bonuses, very low pay, and not alot of room for growth (in 7 reviews)

• They don't listen to the employees and wonder why there is a high turnover (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

FT Remote Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Flexibility. In my position as a remote full-time employee delivering services in the KC area, I have maintained a phenomenal work/life balance. You never can be sure of the weather, or predict when you might get sick, so being able to work from home was a huge plus. This would be one of the top reasons I took the position in the first place.
    2) Management. Obviously I can only speak for myself, but my department had a relatively quick management turnover but steadied itself with probably the best supervisor I've had to date. Again, this is just our department, but this manager was able to communicate extremely effectively with our team remotely and actually implemented much of our input.
    3) Position. The role I currently serve may not have all the advancement opportunities one could hope for (see "Cons" section) but has been very beneficial in various aspects of professional growth, such as public speaking and engagement.
    4) Compensation. This is a 'tweener, because while though salary might not be on the high end of the spectrum, nor potential raises, the compensation is still nothing to shake a stick at when one considers the flexibility as well as cell phone and mileage reimbursement, once and twice per month, respectively.

Cons

1) Advancement. My manager has been great at following through and inquiring about our professional goals and what steps we may take to learn more about HealthFitness as a company and the opportunities therein. The only problem is that they're headquartered out of Minneapolis, and more than likely a meaningful move up would involve relocation.
    2) Compensation. As noted above, this is a 'tweener because everyone would love to make more money and as I as told in my initial interview, most remote employees work two jobs. That honesty was appreciated.
    3) Electronic Systems/Platforms. Whether it's unveiling a new iPad tool for screenings or updating their work order environments, sometimes it feels like the company is quick to want to jump on the "new" thing or rush to a platform that may save them money in the long run but the short run is a stumble, trip, and fall.
    4) Work is here 'n there. I'm only saying this for those who may be interested in joining as an independent contractor for screenings. Remember, the role is "independent contractor" so you are not guaranteed events on a regular basis or at all. I've worked events for numerous companies since 2004 and this is supplemental income, not a full-time job.

With PGs to worry about and many eggs in a few very important baskets, my only concern is rushing a system and implementing it before it's ready to be unveiled. Don't get me wrong, even apps go through version updates and tweaks are always going to have to be made, but sometimes paying a little more for certain systems can pay off even better in the long run by retaining clientele with the fewest amount of headaches possible.

Eh.

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free breakfast on Fridays. Treadmill workstations. Some really great people.

Cons

No bonus potential, no room for advancement. HR managers are uncaring, Pto is horrible, 401(k) match is not competitive, health benefits horrendously expensive and getting worse every year.

Benefits need to be upgraded and cost less. HR managers need sensitivity training.

Happy employee!

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful training, responsive management team, responsive support from several departments, pretty flexible work schedule

Cons

There is a super quick learning curve, but I don't know that that's exactly a con, just a challenge to overcome. Also, I think it's not really a con either, but perhaps gym membership subsidy? I mean we are a Health and Fitness company, so we compensated with assistance and encouragement to do that. It's a pretty standard benefit these days.

Keep up the good work! Continue with the great communication long after the employee is hired and encourage professional growth.

Misery loves company. Joint this company if you are looking to be unhappy.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice "front" for a first impression especially if you see the parent company Trustmark offices, they have fancy offices.

Cons

That money doesn't trickle down to the employees, low raises, lack of advancement potential. They will work you to death with no appreciation. Management behaves like gods. Management will undermine your contributions.

Go to some management training sessions to learn how to behave like managers.

Health Fitness is not what it appears to be.

Current Employee - Health and Fitness Professional
    Current Employee - Health and Fitness Professional

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Facilities look impressive however everything else is depressive. I can't wait to leave this company.

Cons

Bad management. Poor HR department. I was asked to do things that I don't believe are ethically correct to the customer by my manager. The manager is a name dropper and bully and threatens employees that they will use HR as a tool against them. HR will not support the employee, only the manager. We were even asked to go on this site to create a review to help increase their rating!

Low pay compared to the industry.

Lack of growth potential.

Lack of support or communication from the parent company.

Replace your HR department and then comb through your upper management by reviewing each persons history, turnover, personal relationships to others in management, credentials etc, you may be surprised at what is found.

Health Fitness Response

Feb 4, 2015SVP & Chief Human Resources Officer

Your comments include several unsubstantiated allegations, and this is the first we are hearing of them. HealthFitness and Trustmark, HealthFitness’ parent company, take violations of our ethical ... More

At first I thought this company was good. Then it came to light all of thr fraudulent activity that takes place.

I worked at Health Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will meet a bunch of fellow like minded health professionals that are in this field for the right reasons.

Cons

The corrupt managment team. Look up how many medical doctors are actually involved in this operation, setting up the programs, creating what is supposed to be the gold standard for health and you will come up with a big fat zero as your number. The entire concept is fraudulent. A way to have clients that have Trustmark insurance (parent company) sign up for yet another service to get Trustmark more revenue. Additionally, their state of the art IT softwade and programs have so many reported flaws that are simply brushed under the rug and not corrected and then advertised to the next customer as state of the art. Management is not available most of the time, they leave early, take long breaks, full vacation. When they return they expect things served to them on a silver platter. They will delete your name off documents and the put their name on top and present or send the work out as their own. If you say something about to them, they claim they had to make some changes because they found errors. They use the HR team to bury the hatchet on all of the fraud, sexual harrassement (reported), hiring of relatives and friends, misappropriation of assets and resources. HR has employees that have 2 year college educations and do not know how to handle situations appropriately.

Trustmark should replace the whole team of them especially HR.

Health Fitness Response

Feb 4, 2015SVP & Chief Human Resources Officer

Innovative and Strategic Company, Passionate Employees

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

I have been here a year and half and the whole time my manager gave me opportunities to be involved in more than just my core job function which helped me to receive a recent promotion. I do not work in a health related field but I love wellness and fitness. For those who feel a similar way, working at the corporate headquarters is a great environment because we participate in all kinds of wellness activities (company sponsored 5k, nutrition challenges, parties, healthy Friday breakfast, etc.) that you wouldn't find in many work environments. This is a company full of educated, friendly and motivated people and the atmosphere at the corporate office is generally positive.

We are kept well informed of the company's direction, strategy and performance. Our CEO and senior leaders speak to us directly on a regular basis to keep us up to date of where we are and where we are going as a company and as a department.

Cons

401k is not competitive, the health benefits are pretty good (we get incentives for participating in wellness challenges) but it would be nice to receive a discount on gym memberships as well, PTO and paid holidays are just average

Stay innovative and flexible, recognize the great people who work here and offer opportunities for challenge and growth, continue to communicate well from the top down

Life of a health advisor

Current Employee - Health Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Health Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Passionate co-workers. Great Vision. Flexible vacation requests.

Cons

Odd working hours. Lack of growth. Small compensation for the amount of work done.

A good place to work, a lot of young health professionals work here. Everyone is so friendly.

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

Good stepping stone into the health field. Most of the people working here are recent graduates, so it's easy to meet a lot of people. It's nice that you actually use your education to inform people about lifestyle choices, it's a fulfilling job.

Cons

The hours aren't the best, usually working from 12-9. A lot of the staff is overqualified for the position, and the pay doesn't compensate for it.

I was told to do this

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was told to do this but want to be honest. You get to meet a large variety of people,clients and their employees. Being able to help others to maintain their health. Having a decent human resources would really help the employees and the company.They cover up any issues mistakes or concerns. If they do not like your complaints they will do everything they can to get you to quit. They tried to get me to quit but they could not drive me out. The company has been fined thousands of dollars in penalties for not having the correct staff at some screening events. Get new managers, supervisors, Vice Presidents and clean up the dishonesty.

Cons

There is no room for advancement. Trying to work and deal with a supervisor who was not well trained. You can ask a a simple question and the response you get has nothing to do with what you asked. There is so much confusion that I am not sure how the company can prosper. The company has one of the worse human resource department you will ever deal with. You can express a concern or a complaint u will be completely ignored and told to talk to your supervisor who is the reason you went to HR. HR is unable to handle any problems, concerns or complaints. They will lie, ignore you or just tell you they do not know what to do. The higher ups in HR are not interested in what you have to say.They are the people who are responsible for covering up issues. You are suppose to get an increase in salary after working for a certain amount of time. They will not tell you. You have to tell your manager who will not give HR the message. Then you go to them on your own and they delay the increase as long as possible. They send u policies but then never follow them. You are told you can not drink anything but water but the people in charge drink coffee pop
    snacks they are often hypocrites.

New Management would really help especially in human resources. They cover up any issues mistakes or concerns. If they do not like your complaints they will
    do everything they can to get you to quit .They tried to get me to quit but they could not drive me out. Get new managers, supervisors, Vice Presidents and clean up the dishonesty