Health Fitness

Health Fitness Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Health Fitness President & CEO Paul Lotharius

Paul Lotharius

Pros
  • Great people, travel opportunities, comprehensive benefits packages, growth opportunities (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits; health insurance, dental, etc (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay for the qualifications they require (in 6 reviews)

• They don't listen to the employees and wonder why there is a high turnover (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

No opportunities, micromanagement, toxic work environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood benefits; health insurance, dental, etc. HR staff are helpful when they're not covering for workplace harassment to avoid a law suit. Otherwise, not a lot of pros to be had at HFC.

ConsEverything else. Underpaying employees, treating them like dirt, having them jump through ridiculous bureacratic hoops. Toxic reviewing with unsubstantiated claims from third parties (not supervisors or peers, just mystery people named to attempt to lend credibility. Managers make a rule today, change it tomorrow, and stand over your shoulder everyday. No technological advancement. Penny wise, pound foolish operations.

Fulfilling

Proslearning opportunities are endless, everyday is a new day with new adventures, get to think out of the box for ways to engage employees and can be very fulfilling when able to reach out to a group of people, great stepping stone for corporate experience

Conslimited head count to fulfill work demands, pay does not meet work demands, need to work multiple jobs to cover bill costs

I have had a great experience until recently.

On Call Screener (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is great and work is considerably steady

ConsThey have recently started canceling Screeners the day before an event. They decided to change the way they select Screeners without proper notification. It seems the policy varies from one Recruiter to the next, they are not on the same accord.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the Screeners with a little more respect and consideration. Organizations should have a deadline date to submit the amount of staff attending an event which would then allow for the Recruiters to cancel the amount of Screeners they decide. This allows Screeners to plan accordingly for other events, other companies/jobs, and other commitments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company that values their employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsWork life balance, good benefits, career growth opportunities and development, company culture is fun, access to work out facility in building is free including group exercise classes, and engaging health and wellness programming with a new platform to track your progress and participate in fun activities.

ConsThe company is in a state of growth, and with that can come some growing pains. I am excited about the direction the company is going, so the growth and changes are exciting to experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! We are an industry leader, and with leading edge technology including our new BioVia suite of health management programs and iPads at screening events, we have a very positive outlook for the future of this company.

Great values, poor organization

Worksite Screening Event Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat values to promote health and wellness in the corporate setting
    People working at corporate office are friendly and welcoming, but only at the office- it's a completely different story on the road

Cons*Complete lack of a team-feel for traveling positions
    *Brought on a new manager for the screenings team and few employees agreed with his management style and direction of the team. He made decisions to hire and give significant raises to thousands of PRN employees without offering anything to the full time employees working hard for him every day- after 1 year with this new manager we lost clients and
    downsized.
    *Known for being the lowest paying company in the industry

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-prioritize importance of employees- management offers significantly more support to the thousands of PRN employees instead of the full time employees working 60-70 hours a week.

Increase salary

Re-assess the organization of the screenings team.

Excited to be part of a group to influence good health behaviors.

Health Screener (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsGreat opportunity to pick and choose the event that best one's schedule.

ConsEvents are very few and far in between, so there is not a lot of work so far.

Poor management and they will throw you under the bus

Health Fitness Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsJob itself fun as long as it didn't involve management. Loved the client and members. Decent health insurance. Holiday pay and weekends off. Other than horrid management, very laid back work. Good stepping stone to future careers, but not really in the company.

ConsHorrible management. They don't listen to the employees and wonder why there is a high turnover. You can be the most loyal, dedicated employee and still get thrown under the bus. They would not give me a reason for letting me go after receiving a great job review and raise 3 weeks prior. I asked why and they said "we don't feel the need to explain." Poor pay for the qualifications they require and NO reimbursement for continuing education, which is REQUIRED by the job. By the way, they'll tell you they will reimburse, but somehow get out of it. Management played favorites and allowed employees to get away with some stuff while others got written up or fired for the same offense or less. There is very little room to advance. My manager put me down about my abilities and work ethic. I've NEVER been questioned about my work ethic and put in a lot of work doing duties outside my job description, taught 6 classes a week (which were a huge hit with the client, by the way) but now I'm thriving at a another company with twice the salary, so obviously they believe in putting down good employees and have poor judgement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at West/southwest management, increase pay or at least reimburse for CEC, stop playing favorites. Train program managers to be encouraging, not catty.

Good entry level job but falls short of promises and presented opportunities. Terrible upper management.

Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood for entry level position and for minimal corporate wellness experience. Decent salary.

ConsTerrible management, unclear direction, difficulty taking time off, no support, bad hours, new ideas are not supported, very high turn-over rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your Program Managers and contracts more. Ensure Contract managers are qualified for position. This could be a great company if the right management is in place. Look into exit interviews.

Great entry level job

Health Fitness Specialist (Former Employee) Newtown Square, PA

Prosdecent benefits, ok pay, GREAT people, learned a lot

Consnot a lot of room for advancement, our site closed after they lost the contract and while they tried, they had little to offer us to transfer

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more time in the fitness management side of the company, all of the business growths were technological and irrelevant.

Don't expect to make a career out of this

Health Fitness Specialist (Current Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsFriendly people, and very easy laid back place to work . Flexible schedules and great cafeteria

ConsAbysmal pay, and no real opportunity to move up. It's a nice place to start out, but you can't really make a career out of this

Worked for Health Fitness? Contribute to the Community!