Health Fitness Reviews

Updated August 11, 2014

3.5

Health Fitness President & CEO Paul Lotharius
Paul Lotharius

Pros
  • Great people, travel opportunities, comprehensive benefits packages, growth opportunities (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits; health insurance, dental, etc (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay for the qualifications they require (in 6 reviews)

• They don't listen to the employees and wonder why there is a high turnover (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice company, nice mission, nice people

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time

Pros

Company is growing
    Good mission and values
    Support professional development
    Winning new business; lots of opportunities on the horizon
    They seem to promote from within when possible
    Everyone is very nice
    Great tools to keep you connected to the rest of the company even if you work remotely

Cons

Benefits are a little costly if you have a dependent or spouse on your plan

Make benefits more affordable and consider supplemental benefits for employees and families.

Struggling with balanced growth

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is working to make themselves a better place to work and since this is a growing company it is a good place for upward mobility.

Cons

The company is doing all it can to try to make change smooth but they are not forecasting all the possible down falls well or are not very prepared for them.

No opportunities, micromanagement, toxic work environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Health Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits; health insurance, dental, etc. HR staff are helpful when they're not covering for workplace harassment to avoid a law suit. Otherwise, not a lot of pros to be had at HFC.

Cons

Everything else. Underpaying employees, treating them like dirt, having them jump through ridiculous bureacratic hoops. Toxic reviewing with unsubstantiated claims from third parties (not supervisors or peers, just mystery people named to attempt to lend credibility. Managers make a rule today, change it tomorrow, and stand over your shoulder everyday. No technological advancement. Penny wise, pound foolish operations.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fulfilling

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time

Pros

learning opportunities are endless, everyday is a new day with new adventures, get to think out of the box for ways to engage employees and can be very fulfilling when able to reach out to a group of people, great stepping stone for corporate experience

Cons

limited head count to fulfill work demands, pay does not meet work demands, need to work multiple jobs to cover bill costs

Great company that values their employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance, good benefits, career growth opportunities and development, company culture is fun, access to work out facility in building is free including group exercise classes, and engaging health and wellness programming with a new platform to track your progress and participate in fun activities.

Cons

The company is in a state of growth, and with that can come some growing pains. I am excited about the direction the company is going, so the growth and changes are exciting to experience.

Keep up the good work! We are an industry leader, and with leading edge technology including our new BioVia suite of health management programs and iPads at screening events, we have a very positive outlook for the future of this company.

I have had a great experience until recently.

Current Employee - On Call Screener
    Current Employee - On Call Screener

I have been working at Health Fitness as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The pay is great and work is considerably steady

Cons

They have recently started canceling Screeners the day before an event. They decided to change the way they select Screeners without proper notification. It seems the policy varies from one Recruiter to the next, they are not on the same accord.

Treat the Screeners with a little more respect and consideration. Organizations should have a deadline date to submit the amount of staff attending an event which would then allow for the Recruiters to cancel the amount of Screeners they decide. This allows Screeners to plan accordingly for other events, other companies/jobs, and other commitments.

Great values, poor organization

Former Employee - Worksite Screening Event Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Worksite Screening Event Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Health Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great values to promote health and wellness in the corporate setting
    People working at corporate office are friendly and welcoming, but only at the office- it's a completely different story on the road

Cons

*Complete lack of a team-feel for traveling positions
    *Brought on a new manager for the screenings team and few employees agreed with his management style and direction of the team. He made decisions to hire and give significant raises to thousands of PRN employees without offering anything to the full time employees working hard for him every day- after 1 year with this new manager we lost clients and
    downsized.
    *Known for being the lowest paying company in the industry

Re-prioritize importance of employees- management offers significantly more support to the thousands of PRN employees instead of the full time employees working 60-70 hours a week.

Increase salary

Re-assess the organization of the screenings team.

Excited to be part of a group to influence good health behaviors.

Current Employee - Health Screener  in  Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Health Screener in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Health Fitness part-time

Pros

Great opportunity to pick and choose the event that best one's schedule.

Cons

Events are very few and far in between, so there is not a lot of work so far.

Poor management and they will throw you under the bus

Former Employee - Health Fitness Specialist
    Former Employee - Health Fitness Specialist

I worked at Health Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Job itself fun as long as it didn't involve management. Loved the client and members. Decent health insurance. Holiday pay and weekends off. Other than horrid management, very laid back work. Good stepping stone to future careers, but not really in the company.

Cons

Horrible management. They don't listen to the employees and wonder why there is a high turnover. You can be the most loyal, dedicated employee and still get thrown under the bus. They would not give me a reason for letting me go after receiving a great job review and raise 3 weeks prior. I asked why and they said "we don't feel the need to explain." Poor pay for the qualifications they require and NO reimbursement for continuing education, which is REQUIRED by the job. By the way, they'll tell you they will reimburse, but somehow get out of it. Management played favorites and allowed employees to get away with some stuff while others got written up or fired for the same offense or less. There is very little room to advance. My manager put me down about my abilities and work ethic. I've NEVER been questioned about my work ethic and put in a lot of work doing duties outside my job description, taught 6 classes a week (which were a huge hit with the client, by the way) but now I'm thriving at a another company with twice the salary, so obviously they believe in putting down good employees and have poor judgement.

Take a look at West/southwest management, increase pay or at least reimburse for CEC, stop playing favorites. Train program managers to be encouraging, not catty.

Great entry level job

Former Employee - Health Fitness Specialist  in  Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Health Fitness Specialist in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at Health Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

decent benefits, ok pay, GREAT people, learned a lot

Cons

not a lot of room for advancement, our site closed after they lost the contract and while they tried, they had little to offer us to transfer

Invest more time in the fitness management side of the company, all of the business growths were technological and irrelevant.

Worked for Health Fitness? Contribute to the Community!