Health Fitness Reviews

Reset

Health Fitness-The Snake Pit

Current Employee - Biometric Screener in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Biometric Screener in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Health Fitness (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck, flexible scheduling, helping people enhance their health.

Cons

Favoritism, gossip, sleaziness, unprofessional leads. The more professional credentials you have, the more mind-numbing tasks you get. If you are not in the 'in group' you will be stuck taking height and weight all day or doing blood pressures. I just spent 11 hours on my feet, doing the above. Needless to say, I am not in the favored circle. I have BA, RN, BSN, MS. My friend, an RN, BSN, Ph.D, is in the same boat. The MA's and PCT's get the sit down jobs. Nobody in HR cares.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep the professionals, treat them that way.

Health Fitness Specialist

I worked at Health Fitness part-time

Pros

Human Resources seems to be the only thing good about this company

Cons

- Poor management - No auditing of contracting sites

Advice to Management

You need to be more accountable of site managers.

Ergonomics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Health Fitness (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance and reasonable hours, (I do not work in a Fitness Center though) opportunities for growth and continuing education/program development

Cons

working as a contractor embedded within a large company has its drawbacks. We work along side the employees and are managed by a manager for the host company.

Management lacking professionalism

Former Employee - Program Coordinator
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator

I worked at Health Fitness full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Help others overcome health barriers. Inspire behavior change and celebrate the wins when someone males the commitment to a better lifestyle.

Cons

There is no management training and virtually no accountability for management to conduct business professionally.

Advice to Management

Better yourselves by attending trainings. The management structure consists of being promoted without any resources targeting effective leadership skills building.

Not a Place to Grow

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time

Pros

The best coworkers you could ask for. Free breakfast on Friday mornings.

Cons

Weird works hours that only change if you are a favorite of the supervisors. Supervisors and managers not open to new ideas that would improve the work environment. No job security. Being on the phone at a desk all day, you would think a health and wellness company would be more concerned about the health of their employees. Turnover rate is outrageous.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas that would improve the advising department and the company as a whole. So far people who have shared ideas have been fired or laid off.

7. Health Fitness Assistant

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

Great entry level experience for the fitness industry. Well rounded atmosphere

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. No room for advancing

Advice to Management

Open up more opportunities in the northeast

8. Health Fitness Professional

Current Employee - Health Fitness Professional
    Current Employee - Health Fitness Professional

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent exposure to the corporate wellness industry. Great programs and high ideals. Corporate world and corporate skills and responsibilities meets personal training, group exercise, and fitness center management.

Cons

Not a place to make a good living commensurate with the work being done. Fine for mature competent twentysomethings just starting out.

Advice to Management

Fight to achieve competitive salaries that are adequate for your degreed/certified employees that moves beyond the stigma of "working in a gym" that obviously hinders this position. It's an extension of human resources with its focus on health improvement initiatives and employee wellness. If the position was seated in the HR department, it would easily command up to 50% greater salaries!

Great place to work at with wonderful management and teams!

I worked at Health Fitness

Pros

Very team oriented and access to a variety of services for clients

Cons

Work-life balance is challenging at times.

FT Remote Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Flexibility. In my position as a remote full-time employee delivering services in the KC area, I have maintained a phenomenal work/life balance. You never can be sure of the weather, or predict when you might get sick, so being able to work from home was a huge plus. This would be one of the top reasons I took the position in the first place. 2) Management. Obviously I can only speak for myself, but my department had a relatively quick management turnover but steadied itself with probably the best supervisor I've had to date. Again, this is just our department, but this manager was able to communicate extremely effectively with our team remotely and actually implemented much of our input. 3) Position. The role I currently serve may not have all the advancement opportunities one could hope for (see "Cons" section) but has been very beneficial in various aspects of professional growth, such as public speaking and engagement. 4) Compensation. This is a 'tweener, because while though salary might not be on the high end of the spectrum, nor potential raises, the compensation is still nothing to shake a stick at when one considers the flexibility as well as cell phone and mileage reimbursement, once and twice per month, respectively.

Cons

1) Advancement. My manager has been great at following through and inquiring about our professional goals and what steps we may take to learn more about HealthFitness as a company and the opportunities therein. The only problem is that they're headquartered out of Minneapolis, and more than likely a meaningful move up would involve relocation. 2) Compensation. As noted above, this is a 'tweener because everyone would love to make more money and as I as told in my initial interview, most remote employees work two jobs. That honesty was appreciated. 3) Electronic Systems/Platforms. Whether it's unveiling a new iPad tool for screenings or updating their work order environments, sometimes it feels like the company is quick to want to jump on the "new" thing or rush to a platform that may save them money in the long run but the short run is a stumble, trip, and fall. 4) Work is here 'n there. I'm only saying this for those who may be interested in joining as an independent contractor for screenings. Remember, the role is "independent contractor" so you are not guaranteed events on a regular basis or at all. I've worked events for numerous companies since 2004 and this is supplemental income, not a full-time job.

Advice to Management

With PGs to worry about and many eggs in a few very important baskets, my only concern is rushing a system and implementing it before it's ready to be unveiled. Don't get me wrong, even apps go through version updates and tweaks are always going to have to be made, but sometimes paying a little more for certain systems can pay off even better in the long run by retaining clientele with the fewest amount of headaches possible.

11. It's a starting job but not a place for long-term employment

I have been working at Health Fitness

Pros

The people you work with are great.

Cons

Little room for advancement and no chance to make any money.

RSS Feed </> Embed