Health Fitness

Updated September 14, 2014
3.6

Health Fitness President & CEO Paul Lotharius
Paul Lotharius

Pros
  • Great people, travel opportunities, comprehensive benefits packages, growth opportunities (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits; health insurance, dental, etc (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay for the qualifications they require (in 6 reviews)

• They don't listen to the employees and wonder why there is a high turnover (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Excited to be part of a group to influence good health behaviors.

Current Employee - Health Screener  in  Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Health Screener in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Health Fitness part-time

Pros

Great opportunity to pick and choose the event that best one's schedule.

Cons

Events are very few and far in between, so there is not a lot of work so far.

Poor management and they will throw you under the bus

Former Employee - Health Fitness Specialist
    Former Employee - Health Fitness Specialist

I worked at Health Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Job itself fun as long as it didn't involve management. Loved the client and members. Decent health insurance. Holiday pay and weekends off. Other than horrid management, very laid back work. Good stepping stone to future careers, but not really in the company.

Cons

Horrible management. They don't listen to the employees and wonder why there is a high turnover. You can be the most loyal, dedicated employee and still get thrown under the bus. They would not give me a reason for letting me go after receiving a great job review and raise 3 weeks prior. I asked why and they said "we don't feel the need to explain." Poor pay for the qualifications they require and NO reimbursement for continuing education, which is REQUIRED by the job. By the way, they'll tell you they will reimburse, but somehow get out of it. Management played favorites and allowed employees to get away with some stuff while others got written up or fired for the same offense or less. There is very little room to advance. My manager put me down about my abilities and work ethic. I've NEVER been questioned about my work ethic and put in a lot of work doing duties outside my job description, taught 6 classes a week (which were a huge hit with the client, by the way) but now I'm thriving at a another company with twice the salary, so obviously they believe in putting down good employees and have poor judgement.

Take a look at West/southwest management, increase pay or at least reimburse for CEC, stop playing favorites. Train program managers to be encouraging, not catty.

Great entry level job

Former Employee - Health Fitness Specialist  in  Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Health Fitness Specialist in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at Health Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

decent benefits, ok pay, GREAT people, learned a lot

Cons

not a lot of room for advancement, our site closed after they lost the contract and while they tried, they had little to offer us to transfer

Invest more time in the fitness management side of the company, all of the business growths were technological and irrelevant.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good entry level job but falls short of promises and presented opportunities. Terrible upper management.

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for entry level position and for minimal corporate wellness experience. Decent salary.

Cons

Terrible management, unclear direction, difficulty taking time off, no support, bad hours, new ideas are not supported, very high turn-over rate.

Support your Program Managers and contracts more. Ensure Contract managers are qualified for position. This could be a great company if the right management is in place. Look into exit interviews.

Don't expect to make a career out of this

Current Employee - Health Fitness Specialist  in  Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Health Fitness Specialist in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly people, and very easy laid back place to work . Flexible schedules and great cafeteria

Cons

Abysmal pay, and no real opportunity to move up. It's a nice place to start out, but you can't really make a career out of this

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Wellness Program Coordinator Intern  in  Fort Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Wellness Program Coordinator Intern in Fort Washington, PA

I worked at Health Fitness as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Organized company, very friendly and cooperative staff, decent training, flexible hours, values family and obligations outside of the organization, the work is almost never boring and there's always something to do

Cons

Limited number of open positions, small budget, potential employees must have personal training/group fitness certification for most jobs even if they're not planning on using them often, undercompensated for the amount of work employees do for the company

Tepid place, low discipline, domineering product management

Former Employee - Development  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Development in Omaha, NE

I worked at Health Fitness as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Remote work ethic, flexibility to a point

Cons

Unstated expectations, command and control mentality, uses buzz words without background or commitment. Company trying desperately to become competitive by rebuilding/reworking old software (long outdated) and trying to capture a new market.

Speak with folks, don't spend so much recruiting only to release when you're unstated expectations aren't met. Learn the basics of good management, regardless of the bind you're in with trying to hit unrealistic deadlines

Kept me very busy

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Need more training in order to understand processes

Need more training

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Onsite Delivery Management  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Onsite Delivery Management in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ever changing work environment, able to meet vast array of people, and many opportunities to improve your managment style. You are either home or on the road. Get to see and experience what different cities around the country offer that you wouldn't otherwise. There is usually down time around the holidays.

Cons

100% travel, no day of the week is off limits. We have a great management team unfortunately you rarely get to see them. Have very little control over your schedule, flight delays and weather conditions. Compensation/salary for this traveling job is not stellar.

Increase salary

Excellent

Current Employee - Health Fitness Nurse  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Health Fitness Nurse in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Health Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

Always willing to work with me and my schedule.

Cons

So far no cons for me in this RN position

Keep up the good work.

Worked for Health Fitness? Contribute to the Community!