Health Management Associates

www.hma.com

Health Management Associates Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Health Management Associates – US – “Nursing Staff, Barrow Regional Medical Center”

Health Management Associates President, CEO, and Director Gary D. Newsome

Gary D. Newsome

HMA

Medical Technologist (Former Employee) Monroe, GA

ProsThe particular HMA hospital that I worked for was accomodating to working mothers and flexible with scheduling.

ConsThe pay rate compared to surrounding hospitals was far less than competitive. Management would act like they cared and that employees opinions mattered but it was clear that they didn't.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more visible by department rounding and implement a better competitive salary package.

The worst place I have ever worked.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get paid instead of living on the streets. You get a 30 minute unpaid lunch break. The office is nicely decorated.

ConsIt seems that poor management is a part of the culture at HMA, from the home office, the hospitals to the billing office. When you have poor managers mentoring others, what do you expect? The few good people have left. We worked long hours under a tremendous amount of pressure where your only point of evaluation is how much money you collect. No one considers whether you know the rules or regulations, whether you treat people kindly, whether you care about your customers. There are no opportunities for growth unless you are a young, white man with a college degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease please consider evaluating how you treat people. Treat people as if God is watching.

All in all, stay away!

No Comment No Repercussions (Former Employee) Naples, FL

ProsNice geographical location.
    Local regular lower ranking folks (including most managers) are "good-people" just trying to work and make a living.

ConsUpper management is more concerned about cutting corners and saving a buck to line their pockets with (prior or Community Health's acquisition). Don't know how it is now.
    Last CEO while I was there, Gary Newsom, was a dismal person. No personality. Very grim, glum. Left country when he left HMA. Not sure what that was all about. Nothing great happened with his hiring.
    The CFO, while I was there, reminded me of the classic caricature of the slimy, greedy, untrustworthy used car salesman. You just wanted to wash your hands if you shook it.
    The biggest problem I saw? Nepotism. The rise of people in the company because of who they knew or were related to. Nothing to do with their value or skill. This is at corporate office. I overheard many times the popularity contest between the hospital CEOs and higher-ups (or whatever they're called) with the home office 'executives'. Very worrisome situation in my mind. The company was supposed to be about how to help those who need help, not how to get-rich-quick or how to become someones pet at home office.
    Pay was not comparable with the rest of the industry, or country, depending on your specialty. My pay was severely depressed come to find out. Yet no pay raise for the last 2 or 3 years due to company wide policy of no raises due to budget concerns. However, the upper management flauted their high dollar cars and mansions for all to see. Usually the high dollar cars would show up in the garage after their bonuses arrived. Very bad morale issues came from this. Crass. Foul. Just plain bad manners and bad taste. I mean, driving your brand new Ferrari and parking it in your reserved spot in the company garage after telling everyone there is no money for raises or bonuses!? Driving a different high dollar car to work each week/month. Really!?!?!?!? Tacky.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up.
    If you truly are a christian company, act like it! The whole 'god wants you to have money' thing is just....I don't know. The whole idea of making money off other people for your own personal gain is just, icky.
    Take care of those that make you successful. Express gratitude in salary, bonus, but as important as that, in acknowledgement of accomplishments.
    Don't treat those in the hospitals/facilities as 2nd rate citizens to be used as pawns in your 'master plan to conquer the world'. I know it sounds dramatic, but that's how you make people feel.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay far, far away!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chester, SC

ProsLocal employees are wonderful, was just bought out by CHS, community health systems. Managers are pretty good. The nurse managers need to retire, been doing it too long. The other managers are still pretty good.

ConsCutting hours, not enough staff in any department. CEO is very strange and negative. CFO not in touch with needs. Pay is not great either. Don't value employees.

Very poor management

ProsWill not be a boring day in the office, able to come into contact with a variety of equipment and software.

ConsVery high turnover of personal, due to lack of vision and stability in management.

HMA has a very fast paced environment.

Confidential (Current Employee) Naples, FL

ProsHMA's pay is extremely competitive

ConsThere is a lot of work-related stress at HMA.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe supportive of your staff.

No that good

Underpayment Specialist (Former Employee) Sarasota, FL

ProsThe opportunity to work with different healthcare products

ConsLeadership does not work for helping the employees they work for the bonus they received

Advice to Senior ManagementWho is managing the manager? No one they work above the law without being put in check

Overworked

CNA (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsHealth Benefits are decent, Coworkers are great and pull together

ConsOverworked, Tired, no family life. Short staffed, middle management doesn't stay so staff has no guidance We get sick time but when you take it there is a penalty, 1Supplies are lilmited for patients,

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys need to look into why middle management and patient care staff are short lived

Opportunities at a price

ProsOpportunity for growth & advancement, benefits are great compared to others in the area.

ConsLong hours, expectation seems to be that you make your job your life. Poor compensation.

Great environment of people who care about our patients and fellow associates!

Clinical Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Naples, FL

ProsEnvironment, positive attitudes, "Getting to Great", people, patients

ConsNo raises, low salaries compared to other large hospital companies, lack of uniformity among sites

Advice to Senior ManagementTreasure your best associates, they make HMA great!

Worked for Health Management Associates? Contribute to the Community!