Health Management Associates Reviews

Reset
2.3
Health Management Associates President, CEO, and Director Gary D. Newsome
Gary D. Newsome

Pros
  • a lot of hard working staff and leadership team members (in 4 reviews)

• Local regular lower ranking folks (including most managers) are "good-people" just trying to work and make a living (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Yet no pay raise for the last 2 or 3 years due to company wide policy of no raises due to budget concerns (in 4 reviews)

• Very high turnover of personal, due to lack of vision and stability in management (in 3 reviews)

1. don't work for this company

Former Employee - Mid Management
    Former Employee - Mid Management

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time

Pros

good if you are corporate employee, stock options were good when company was doing well. Good discounts on healthcare at organization owned hospitals and doctors

Cons

Terrible corporate leadership
    poor vacation time
    low salary

Advice to Management

Sell

2. Radiology Technologist

Former Employee - Radiology in Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Radiology in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at Health Management Associates

Pros

Staff was awesome to work with.

Cons

Constant change in Administration made it difficult to build community confidence.

3. Patient Care comes second to drama

Former Employee - Surgical Services in Winder, GA
    Former Employee - Surgical Services in Winder, GA

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck... that's about the only pro there is to this place. Not much else to say there.

Cons

The hospital is so small that everyone gossips about everyone. No one has anything better to do than stir up the pot. It's sad because patient care comes second to drama. There is nothing nice about the place. There are so many problems and its something new everyday. They by no means have it together. They need a total revamp and its hard to say where to even start with that place. During the time I was there no one communicated with me about anything that was happening in the department. During the time that I was there I learned that they have had 45 nurses in a matter of 3 years.

Advice to Management

Please hire more staff. In all departments. If you pay people a comparable rate maybe they will be more willing to stay and not go to another facility.

5. Don't expect competent management or staff

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relatively easy if you don't want to work.

Cons

Poor Management, Poor Project Management, Implements systems that have not been tested.

Advice to Management

Pay is less than average for area, office culture is very political, and incompetent management and staff with no repercussions for those you don't know how or cannot complete their job.

6. The worst place I have ever worked.

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid instead of living on the streets. You get a 30 minute unpaid lunch break. The office is nicely decorated.

Cons

It seems that poor management is a part of the culture at HMA, from the home office, the hospitals to the billing office. When you have poor managers mentoring others, what do you expect? The few good people have left. We worked long hours under a tremendous amount of pressure where your only point of evaluation is how much money you collect. No one considers whether you know the rules or regulations, whether you treat people kindly, whether you care about your customers. There are no opportunities for growth unless you are a young, white man with a college degree.

Advice to Management

Please please consider evaluating how you treat people. Treat people as if God is watching.

All in all, stay away!

Former Employee - No Comment No Repercussions in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - No Comment No Repercussions in Naples, FL

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice geographical location.
    Local regular lower ranking folks (including most managers) are "good-people" just trying to work and make a living.

Cons

Upper management is more concerned about cutting corners and saving a buck to line their pockets with (prior or Community Health's acquisition). Don't know how it is now.
    Last CEO while I was there, Gary Newsom, was a dismal person. No personality. Very grim, glum. Left country when he left HMA. Not sure what that was all about. Nothing great happened with his hiring.
    The CFO, while I was there, reminded me of the classic caricature of the slimy, greedy, untrustworthy used car salesman. You just wanted to wash your hands if you shook it.
    The biggest problem I saw? Nepotism. The rise of people in the company because of who they knew or were related to. Nothing to do with their value or skill. This is at corporate office. I overheard many times the popularity contest between the hospital CEOs and higher-ups (or whatever they're called) with the home office 'executives'. Very worrisome situation in my mind. The company was supposed to be about how to help those who need help, not how to get-rich-quick or how to become someones pet at home office.
    Pay was not comparable with the rest of the industry, or country, depending on your specialty. My pay was severely depressed come to find out. Yet no pay raise for the last 2 or 3 years due to company wide policy of no raises due to budget concerns. However, the upper management flauted their high dollar cars and mansions for all to see. Usually the high dollar cars would show up in the garage after their bonuses arrived. Very bad morale issues came from this. Crass. Foul. Just plain bad manners and bad taste. I mean, driving your brand new Ferrari and parking it in your reserved spot in the company garage after telling everyone there is no money for raises or bonuses!? Driving a different high dollar car to work each week/month. Really!?!?!?!? Tacky.

Advice to Management

Grow up.
    If you truly are a christian company, act like it! The whole 'god wants you to have money' thing is just....I don't know. The whole idea of making money off other people for your own personal gain is just, icky.
    Take care of those that make you successful. Express gratitude in salary, bonus, but as important as that, in acknowledgement of accomplishments.
    Don't treat those in the hospitals/facilities as 2nd rate citizens to be used as pawns in your 'master plan to conquer the world'. I know it sounds dramatic, but that's how you make people feel.

Stay far, far away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, SC

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Local employees are wonderful, was just bought out by CHS, community health systems. Managers are pretty good. The nurse managers need to retire, been doing it too long. The other managers are still pretty good.

Cons

Cutting hours, not enough staff in any department. CEO is very strange and negative. CFO not in touch with needs. Pay is not great either. Don't value employees.

A ship without a rudder.

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's like living with abusive parents. One minute they are loving you, the next beating you to a pulp.

Cons

This company was akin to 1980s Russia, the tanks are rusting in the street.

Advice to Management

Orange is the new black.

Poorly managed at every level.

I have been working at Health Management Associates

Pros

None. Don't waste your skills with them.

Cons

Terrible planning and budgeting. Ridiculous information systems. They cannot access the data needed to make straightforward business decisions. When they fail to meet their ludicrous budgets they "solve" the problem by laying off staff-- but they never seem to lay off the bozos that budgeted badly in the first place.

Poor experience in every way

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Besides the fact that I am resigning? Generally, the worker bee level employees are very good to work with and care about each other. Because there are a lot of hospitals run by them, you can transfer - IF they feel like letting you.

Cons

Not enough room or time to give a complete report, but the biggest con is that the sole purpose for this company's existence is to make money, hand over fist. Fortune 500 Company where money matters, and corners are cut at the patient level so the stock stays profitable and the executives look good on paper. Having also been a patient, care was frequently non-existent and/or unsafe due to extremely poor staffing. Department directors found out they were being fired by finding an advertisement online for their position. This company has absolutely NO morals or ethics. Insurance is expensive and horrible. Retirement plan is a joke.

Advice to Management

Take a college level ethics course, pay attention in class and learn a few new things, and quit bullying and abusing your employees. Hopefully Community Health Systems will come in and clean house. Maybe the takeover will be a positive thing for employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed