Health Management Associates

Gary D. Newsome

hard work everyday

Current Employee - Staff RN  in  Van Buren, AR
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Van Buren, AR

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

small and friendly little hospital

Cons

short staffed much of the time

company merging with a huge company.many changes too soon

HMA has a very fast paced environment.

Current Employee - Confidential  in  Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Confidential in Naples, FL

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

HMA's pay is extremely competitive

Cons

There is a lot of work-related stress at HMA.

Be supportive of your staff.

Opportunities at a price

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity for growth & advancement, benefits are great compared to others in the area.

Cons

Long hours, expectation seems to be that you make your job your life. Poor compensation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exceptional learning position.

Current Employee - Negotiator  in  Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Negotiator in Naples, FL

Pros

Freedom to innovate and see your progress.

Cons

Merging with CHS and the company will evolve.

na

Challenging and most times demanding work but excellent compensation packages

Current Employee - Manager  in  Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Naples, FL

Pros

Located in SWFL, excellent weather. Corporate headquarters has small amount of people, you feel sort of like family. Excellent compensation package with bonus and stocks.

Cons

Extremely busy, have to serve 70 hospitals in various time zones.

not a whole lot now that the merger is happening, wouldn't matter.

This was a good learning experience

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have self-funded health insurance plan
    There are a lot of hard working people in this company

Cons

Progress is slow and planning seems to be an after-thought

Planning

This company does not support their employees.

Current Employee - Emergency Room Nurse  in  Spring Hill, FL
    Current Employee - Emergency Room Nurse in Spring Hill, FL

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Self Scheduling, flexible uniform code.

Cons

Low pay, lack of management support and visibility, lack of credible CEU's only provides the basic requirements. Slow ER process of patients, no working system.

There needs to be applicable education for the department. Upper management needs to be more visible to be plugged into what works and doesn't work in the department and who is an effective worker and who is just taking up space with very little productivity. Increase pay to be more competitive instead of sending out emails that state you are giving pay equitable raises and then not following thru. You will have an increase in job satisfaction if you do these simple steps and retain your nurses instead of losing employees to all other local hospitals and being short staffed on a day to day basis.

EVS

Former Employee - Evs  in  Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Evs in Jackson, MS

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Job Security, co-workers, and ability to complete work

Cons

Outsourced EVS, new company has a different culture

Think of the little guy when making big decisions

WHO IS HE AND WHAT DOES HE BELIEVE?

Current Employee - CPhT
    Current Employee - CPhT

I have been working at Health Management Associates

Pros

HMA owns several hospitals in mostly rural areas. Hospitals are a necessity for health care and employees working at hospitals will usually maintain employment through bad economical times. The job is less prone to lay offs when compared to other fields of employment.

Cons

HMA focuses on management of rural hospitals. I happen to work at a hospital in Southwest Florida area. Some of the financial practices that HMA has adopted for those small rural hospitals do not work well for the more urban hospital of a larger city. For instance, we have antiquated software that is so time consuming that it is a waste of manpower! Sometimes, we are limited to the type and amount of supplies we need to do our job effectively. Perhaps, these practices work well for more rural hospitals, but, times have changed and technology is the key to healthcare. HMA does not lead the way in technological advances and/or practices.

Also, they seem to hire many individuals that would be overlooked by other hospitals. We have several sharp, educated, sincere employees. However, we have some that are given tasks that are above their scope of understanding. When you work in the medical field, the patient relies on the employee to provide care and expertise. Honestly, I would want to hand pick my nurse should I be admitted to our hospital! The hospital hires many LPNs, perhaps because it costs them less in salaries. And don't get me wrong...there are many LPNs that are even better than an RN. I really do not think that management has a clue as to what makes a good nurse. They have appointed some nurses as Team Leaders and a few of these individuals should not be practicing. I am not sure that HMA really performs a quality background check on employees.

HMA has recently brightened our New Year by telling us that they will not be giving us a raise this year and they will not be matching our 401K contributions. This does not appear to be an effective way to maintain employee satisfaction!
    I wonder if Management gets their bonuses! I did hear that they did not get the year end bonus. Why not examine the Upper Management and can one of them! instead of robbing from those faithful, dedicated employees who may make a meager yearly salary (that may be equal to the bonus stipend of Upper Management) Share the wealth among the many dedicated, blue collared workers who are working hard so management does not have to!

Take care of all employees. Ancillary departments are just as crucial to Nursing as Nursing is crucial to patient satisfaction. I have not figured out a good reason why nurses get salary perks when ancillary staff do not. Nurses would have it very difficult to perforn their jobs if there was no Pharmacy or no Radiology, Lab or Respiratory Department. How can management cater to the nurses when it is all of us that rely on each other to foster the system to provide patient services? Often times only the nursing staff is offered bonuses for extra hours worked.

401K benefits are important. PTO hours equally important. Providing the staff with the right equipment to perform our jobs is a necessity.

I understand that Senior Management has to be concerned with finances. But, honestly, it seems like management is too concerned with the "Almighty Dollar' and not concerned about their employees There has to be a happy medium! Management has difficulty hearing from their employees. Typically, management has no idea how things really happen!
    I think they would benefit from on-the-job experience, like working in the various departments, to broaden their understanding. It should not be all abouth the dollar!

Burke Whitman is doing a good job. It'll be interesting to see if he can turn this company around.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Naples, FL

I worked at Health Management Associates

Pros

The corporate staff is so small that one gets a chance to know all the players. In some departments (I guess depending on the manager), developing their employees is top priority. HMA has probably the best CFO training program in the industry.

Cons

Accountants run the company. Therefore, in order to increase margins, they customarily cut costs. Over the years, decreased in spending in infrastructure has come back to haunt the company. What used to be their competitive advantage, Information Systems, has become a burden.

Look outside the industry for innovations. There comes a point in time that you can't admit everyone under the sun and that payers will decrease payments. If HMA seeks to be the #1 provider of health care services in term of quality, then they should leverage their name nationwide, especially in the Florida and Mississippi markets.

Why start all the initiatives and spend all that money if not to build a recognizable brand? The days of "every market is different" excuse is over. Sole-source markets will be very competitive soon, if not already.

Gain stability. Do things well. Build a brand. Leverage the heck out of it.

Worked for Health Management Associates? Contribute to the Community!