Health Management Associates Reviews

48 reviews filtered by

1. Senior Management is the pits

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Naples, FL
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Naples, FL

I worked at Health Management Associates as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, 9-5 working hours, staff is friendly and hard working

Cons

Sr. management is ineffectual. It was the "old boys network". Many executives got to positions of power doing nothing. They are not leaders. Treat the IT staff like animals, always laying off the good workers and keeping the bottom dwellers. Staff is overworked and underpaid. No clear direction set. A lot of "positioning" by management. As a public company, tried to set corporate governance, but was a joke. No advancement, and became scapegoat to anything gone wrong. No accountability, and only interested in profit and bottom line.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bums and put in resources that embrace change, quality of care and advancement

Poor Management

Current Employee - Registration in Amory, MS
    Current Employee - Registration in Amory, MS

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with some really great people in some of the departments. I love working with patients and taking care of their needs.

Cons

This hospital is run by management who care about the all mighty dollar. My job title is one title description, however I work 4 different jobs for the price of one. I am doing jobs that nurses should be doing and not registration. Upper management does not care about their employees-we work with poor equipment that only works half the time, one raise in the 4 years I have been here, and the employees who do hard a job do not get recognized. They changed our ins plan from cigna, which was decent, to humana where premiums went up, then they tell us to take the lesser plan because we will save money, but if you look at it, by doing so, you will benefiting them because HMA is out less money on deductibles and oop expense. Hours are constantly being cut, but they expect you to do a 40-50 hour week job in 32 hours or so which leave employees disgruntled ergo effects patient care. We have lost many good and valuable employees because of policy changes, poor management, and no offering of competitive wages. I was so proud when I first started to work for a HMA hospital, but when I here patients complain of the care and the quality of our hospital, I just hang my head.

Advice to Management

The programs upper management creates like getting to great, actually follow that slogan. Hire management that cares and listens to employee input. Invest in some new equipment and tell your employees what a good job they are doing. I know if I was told every now and then what a great job I was doing or I meant something to this company, doing 4 jobs for the price of one and the lack of a raise wouldn't hurt so bad. Invest, invest, invest....Invest in your employees and hospital to give the best service possibe then you would see more productivity out of your employees and happier patients. Give us an incentive to want to come to work and actually happy to be here....

Do not work here if you can help it

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time

Pros

Will take new grads
    70 hospitals nationwide and opportunities to transfer

Cons

Unloyal to employees
    Poor patient care/reputation
    Dangerously low staffing levels
    High turnover
    Do not incentivize education opportunities

Advice to Management

Invest in the associates and the future. No quarter to quarter numbers and promotions for upper management. Practice what you preach

This company has no appreciation or respect for their employees, management is terrible.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL

I have been working at Health Management Associates

Pros

I like my coworkers, we have a great group of hardworking, conscientious people who really care about doing a good job. Most of the doctors are pretty great as well.

Cons

The directors and upper management staff demonstrate no concern or appreciation for their employees. They constantly push for more and more profit and seem to only care about making money for themselves and getting big bonuses. Patients are basically a commodity to the nonclinical managers at HMA to be used as a source of revenue. The only priority at this "health management" company is money! There is a high turnover of employees for good reason.

Advice to Management

I would ask for management to take a good look at their priorities and stop to consider the employees who work very hard but get treated so badly! Stop touting that "Getting 2 Great" slogan and actually do right by your employees for a change! Stop giving huge bonuses to managers who only look good because of someone else's work.

Fellow employees are great, middle management tries hard, upper management only cares about their bonuses

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winder, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winder, GA

I have been working at Health Management Associates

Pros

Coworkers are wonderful and most truly care about taking good care of the patients. Variety of a la carte benefits are offered.

Cons

Corporate is cheap
    Too many silly little rules that make patient care impossible
    Always short staffed because people get frustrated with policies and quit
    Ugly surroundings
    Cater to doctors but don't care about the staff
    Old equipment, have to make due

Advice to Management

Instead of giving management bonuses, spend the money on really fixing problems at the patient care level. Stop making us cater to the frequent flyers and drug seekers, they won't pay their bill anyway!

7. Extremely stressful

I have been working at Health Management Associates

Pros

get to Work from home.

Cons

Not enough employee support a

Advice to Management

Interact with employees

Very poor management

Pros

Will not be a boring day in the office, able to come into contact with a variety of equipment and software.

Cons

Very high turnover of personal, due to lack of vision and stability in management.

No that good

Former Employee - Underpayment Specialist in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Underpayment Specialist in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to work with different healthcare products

Cons

Leadership does not work for helping the employees they work for the bonus they received

Advice to Management

Who is managing the manager? No one they work above the law without being put in check

Overworked

Current Employee - CNA in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - CNA in Melbourne, FL

Pros

Health Benefits are decent, Coworkers are great and pull together

Cons

Overworked, Tired, no family life. Short staffed, middle management doesn't stay so staff has no guidance We get sick time but when you take it there is a penalty, 1Supplies are lilmited for patients,

Advice to Management

You guys need to look into why middle management and patient care staff are short lived

More work with less staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake City, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake City, FL

Pros

Rural Hospital. Pleasnt staff ( well those that Management has not run off yet. Easy to get hired when they are hiring

Cons

working harder with less staff. Taking on more procedures with out the appropiate staffing levels to safely complete . Unable to hire replacement staff for those that leave facility. Informed last week that we will be unable to accrue Vacation time for the next 4 months and there will be no Raises at all this year ( there goes my 1%). Benefits are poor unless you go to an HMA facility. Corprate Management has shown time and time again they truely do not care about the Employees.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees and your patient satisfaction scores will go up and so will your compensation form medicare.

Health Management Associates Photos