Health Management Associates

Gary D. Newsome

All in all, stay away!

Former Employee - No Comment No Repercussions in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - No Comment No Repercussions in Naples, FL

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice geographical location.
    Local regular lower ranking folks (including most managers) are "good-people" just trying to work and make a living.

Cons

Upper management is more concerned about cutting corners and saving a buck to line their pockets with (prior or Community Health's acquisition). Don't know how it is now.
    Last CEO while I was there, Gary Newsom, was a dismal person. No personality. Very grim, glum. Left country when he left HMA. Not sure what that was all about. Nothing great happened with his hiring.
    The CFO, while I was there, reminded me of the classic caricature of the slimy, greedy, untrustworthy used car salesman. You just wanted to wash your hands if you shook it.
    The biggest problem I saw? Nepotism. The rise of people in the company because of who they knew or were related to. Nothing to do with their value or skill. This is at corporate office. I overheard many times the popularity contest between the hospital CEOs and higher-ups (or whatever they're called) with the home office 'executives'. Very worrisome situation in my mind. The company was supposed to be about how to help those who need help, not how to get-rich-quick or how to become someones pet at home office.
    Pay was not comparable with the rest of the industry, or country, depending on your specialty. My pay was severely depressed come to find out. Yet no pay raise for the last 2 or 3 years due to company wide policy of no raises due to budget concerns. However, the upper management flauted their high dollar cars and mansions for all to see. Usually the high dollar cars would show up in the garage after their bonuses arrived. Very bad morale issues came from this. Crass. Foul. Just plain bad manners and bad taste. I mean, driving your brand new Ferrari and parking it in your reserved spot in the company garage after telling everyone there is no money for raises or bonuses!? Driving a different high dollar car to work each week/month. Really!?!?!?!? Tacky.

Grow up.
    If you truly are a christian company, act like it! The whole 'god wants you to have money' thing is just....I don't know. The whole idea of making money off other people for your own personal gain is just, icky.
    Take care of those that make you successful. Express gratitude in salary, bonus, but as important as that, in acknowledgement of accomplishments.
    Don't treat those in the hospitals/facilities as 2nd rate citizens to be used as pawns in your 'master plan to conquer the world'. I know it sounds dramatic, but that's how you make people feel.

Stay far, far away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, SC

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Local employees are wonderful, was just bought out by CHS, community health systems. Managers are pretty good. The nurse managers need to retire, been doing it too long. The other managers are still pretty good.

Cons

Cutting hours, not enough staff in any department. CEO is very strange and negative. CFO not in touch with needs. Pay is not great either. Don't value employees.

hard work everyday

Current Employee - Staff RN in Van Buren, AR
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Van Buren, AR

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

small and friendly little hospital

Cons

short staffed much of the time

company merging with a huge company.many changes too soon

Very poor management

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Will not be a boring day in the office, able to come into contact with a variety of equipment and software.

Cons

Very high turnover of personal, due to lack of vision and stability in management.

No that good

Former Employee - Underpayment Specialist in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Underpayment Specialist in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to work with different healthcare products

Cons

Leadership does not work for helping the employees they work for the bonus they received

Who is managing the manager? No one they work above the law without being put in check

HMA has a very fast paced environment.

Current Employee - Confidential in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Confidential in Naples, FL

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

HMA's pay is extremely competitive

Cons

There is a lot of work-related stress at HMA.

Be supportive of your staff.

A ship without a rudder.

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's like living with abusive parents. One minute they are loving you, the next beating you to a pulp.

Cons

This company was akin to 1980s Russia, the tanks are rusting in the street.

Orange is the new black.

Overworked

Current Employee - CNA in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - CNA in Melbourne, FL

Pros

Health Benefits are decent, Coworkers are great and pull together

Cons

Overworked, Tired, no family life. Short staffed, middle management doesn't stay so staff has no guidance We get sick time but when you take it there is a penalty, 1Supplies are lilmited for patients,

You guys need to look into why middle management and patient care staff are short lived

Opportunities at a price

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth & advancement, benefits are great compared to others in the area.

Cons

Long hours, expectation seems to be that you make your job your life. Poor compensation.

Great environment of people who care about our patients and fellow associates!

Current Employee - Clinical Systems Analyst in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Clinical Systems Analyst in Naples, FL

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time

Pros

Environment, positive attitudes, "Getting to Great", people, patients

Cons

No raises, low salaries compared to other large hospital companies, lack of uniformity among sites

Treasure your best associates, they make HMA great!

Health Management Associates Photos