Health Management Systems

Once enjoyable

Current Employee - Ops Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Ops Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at Health Management Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amount of time off given.

Cons

Stability in the company; outsourcing alot of jobs.

HMS has lost its way

Former Employee - Paralegal/Caseworker in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Paralegal/Caseworker in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Health Management Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love the job itself, but there is no love lost for the company and the managers.

Cons

Untrained managers that have no leadership skills. Favoritism is the name of the game at HMS. There is no training for new employees. Pay is lower than average. Pay raises are based on whether your manager likes you or not. The metric system in place is inefficient and causes low quality work results.

Train managers, find a better way to measure productivity, develop training new employees and crack down on favoritism. Pay employees what they are worth and you will keep good employees.

Not a good idea

Current Employee - Title in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Title in Irving, TX

I have been working at Health Management Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO-you can take time off when you need
    You can make up hours, to avoid using your PTO
    Flexible Hours

Cons

Hard work does not count. You have to be a "favorite" of management to get anywhere. Backlash and pettiness is the name of the game at HMS. Systems are horrible. People can manipulate the system to achieve good metric numbers and avoid being on the phone. Supervisors are literally from the ghetto, and speak to you as such. Managers have no clue, no back-bone and offer empty promises. Upper management sits in their ivory towers.
    Bottom line-if you want to feel good about yourself and have a good work ethic, then find somewhere else to work.

It is time to clean house. You need to see the crap for what it is.

Good 'ole boy' company atmosphere

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Irving, TX

I worked at Health Management Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers and annual VENDOR fair

Cons

Training and low level of team work

Treat all staff equal. Stop the good ole boy behavior with the clicks, favortism, and childish work gangs

Horrible Company-Look Elsewhere

I have been working at Health Management Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not enough to counter the incompetence of management.

Cons

Nepotism and Favoritism runs rampant. It is extraordinarily difficult to be fired here - bad attitude, poor service, etc. are all overlooked. Raises are based if you supervisor/manager "likes" you. One employee literally bought her position as a team lead. If you listen to employees on the phone, they are horrible to the clients. Customer Service does not exist.

Encourage a culture of accountability. Develop a corporate strategy and communicate it to the organization.

Went out of business in our area, enough said.

I worked at Health Management Systems as a contractor

Pros

Got to listen to podcasts while verifying.

Cons

Poor management, company went out of business in NY area.

I had a pleasant work experience with this company.

Former Employee - Staff Ultrasound Tech in Amory, MS
    Former Employee - Staff Ultrasound Tech in Amory, MS

I worked at Health Management Systems part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the radiology staff I worked with. Pay was fair. I was not eligible for benefits because I didn't work enough hours, at my own request. This is a great hospital with a family feel between the staff.

Cons

I worked mostly call. I thought their policies and procedures were mostly standard.

Worry more about the needs of your staff. If the staff is very happy and loves coming to work, then they will show it. Patient satisfaction runs parallel to staff satisfaction.

Floundering due to Poor Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Health Management Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cons

Upper management has been in full-on panic mode as stock prices have dropped over the last couple of years; rather than reevaluating counterproductive strategies and processes, numerous 'task groups' are chasing their tails trying to identify root causes when the real problems are plain as day - the company's siloed structure causes inefficiency, hides ineptitude, and rewards sycophants over skilled workers. A deep culture change needs to take place if HMS is to succeed; the business opportunity is there, but HMS is too cumbersome to take advantage of it.

Day-to-day, this organization is loathe to reward those who give 110%; pay raises are generally limited to less than 5%/year regardless of performance, bonuses are not tied to individual contributions, and salaries are held so low that talented individuals rapidly seek greener pastures, leaving behind those who either can't find work elsewhere or are happy to be able to coast along below the radar. Benefits are degraded every year (e.g. health benefits have gotten more expensive but cover less).

Encourage a culture of accountability, where those who do the work are responsible for its completion and quality. Work harder to integrate the companies that have been purchased in the last few years and ensure they are on board with the corporate strategy. Develop a corporate strategy and communicate it to the organization. Reward those who contribute to the organization.

Overworked and under paid

Former Employee - Paralegal/Caseworker in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Paralegal/Caseworker in Irving, TX

I worked at Health Management Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My immediate Supervisors and team were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

To much work for the compensation being offered, slow raise movement and the ability to move up in the company is not accessible

Better pay and opportunities

Good, but Bad.

Current Employee - Operations Analyst - Cost Avoidance in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst - Cost Avoidance in Irving, TX

I have been working at Health Management Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Coworkers are pretty easy to get along with and blend! Managers are easy to talk to. No shortage on the career advancement possibilities.

Cons

The training at HMS is almost non-existent. There's a peer to peer -if I have time - training module in full effect here! Also pay is not the best, I would say a tad below average.