Health Market Science
www.healthmarketscience.com King of Prussia, PA 150 to 499 Employees

Health Market Science Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014
Health Market Science – King of Prussia – “The Red Room”

Matt Reichert

Latest technology and great people, glad I made the move to this place

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Market Science full-time for less than a year

Pros* I'm encouraged to get my hands on the latest big data technology and learn new ways to solve problems.
* There are lots of smart and enthusiastic people to learn from; weekly cross-team lunch and learn sessions help to spread knowledge.
* It's a tech-friendly environment that is open to new ways of thinking.
* Smallish-size company means you get to work with people from across the organization and really make a difference; also, promotion prospects are good.
* People here get involved in the open-source community, meetups and hackathons, so you feel part of the bigger tech community in Philly.
* Commute from center city Philly is pretty easy.

Cons* The pace is very fast and technology learning curve can be high which is good if you like that environment, but could be uncomfortable for some.

Great place to work - Very flexible management

I have been working at Health Market Science

ProsManagement has been very flexible with my schedule and they have a great work from home policy which is great being a parent.

Very good healthcare options available and much cheaper than many places I have worked.

Always on the cutting edge of hot new technology!

IT doesn't force Apple products down your throat like some other places. This makes me quite happy with all of the human rights violations that Apple is responsible for.

Close to mass transit which makes my life much easier without owning a car.

ConsThe company does free pizza on fridays but only if the Sales team makes their numbers.

Sexy technology, Brilliant people, Creative / Innovative atmosphere

I have been working at Health Market Science for more than 3 years

Pros- flat organizational structure
- self-directed, team-oriented delivery
- supportive, risk-taking environment
- positioned to capitalize on two hot trends: big data and healthcare
- fun, collaborative team spaces for agile development
- flexible work from home policy

Cons- many products and opportunities means juggling priorities
- use of bleeding edge technology, means rapid experimentation and shifting directions
- company does not currently provide mac's for development

Advice to Senior Management- need new chairs in conference rooms

Spreading Itself Too Thin

I have been working at Health Market Science full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCasual dress, Monday-Friday
Free coffee
Ample parking
Flexible work schedule/ability to telecommute
Smart people
Game room onsite with pool table

ConsUnfriendly environment
Each department works in a silo
Sales department is the only department the company cares about
Everything is motivated by quotas, sales goals

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be the biggest and the best in every solution within the industry. You're spreading the company way too thin. Focus on one or two products/solutions and deliver them well. Listen to your clients, who have expressed dissatisfaction in the products/solutions, and take their comments into consideration and solve the problems before moving on to another version/platform of a broken solution! Stop allowing 2 or 3 VP control the entire vision & outcome of the company.

Was great until all they cared about was meeting numbers and over critiquing standards

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Health Market Science full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTelecommuting, Ability to work on your own and make decisions to a certain degree.

ConsUpper management has no clue what injustices mid level management is doing.
Very thankless no matter what you have done over the years for the company

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved with how your managers are handling things before your departments collapse from the inside out.

Small company with as many positives as negatives.

I have been working at Health Market Science full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmall company with small company atmosphere. Innovative leaders stay ahead of technology curves and understand market drivers. Need to wear multiple hats enables employees to learn new skills.

ConsCompany owner/board have been discussing selling the company for years. They are reducing their expenses and working on paying down their debt this year which indicates the desire to sell it within a year. Sales team is not held accountable for goal attainment or for bleeding the company budget with reckless travel and entertainment expenses.

Some employees are overloaded with too much work while others do bare minimum and fly under the radar with ease as they laugh about not being found out.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly two activities lead to sales: 1. Going on appointments, 2. Making appointments. If a sales team member is not attaining their goals monthly, then they should be in the office making the appointments to go on. This will help with accountability.

The sales team member operating as if the business is a 4th quarter business is always going to miss the goal. Require weekly goal setting and reporting. Goal attainment will be evident in the production of revenue.

A double faced nightmare

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Health Market Science full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is a certain amount of scheduling flexibility. Remote working opportunities.

ConsUnreasonable, unattainable expectations
Not enough vacation time
Everything is quantified and micromanaged
You are an object, not a person
Out of touch with reality
High on ego, low on competency
Boring, boring, boring
You'll have to put up with a whole lot of crazy

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there is a general trend of unproductive employees and a lot of attrition, rather than insisting "heads will roll" it might be a good idea to instead take a deep breath, and make an honest investigation on what is going on throughout the organization. The problems will always manifest themselves on the ground. There is a lot of talk about accountability. But there is no accountability for management.

Decent Place to Get Experience...Not Much More

I have been working at Health Market Science full-time for more than a year

ProsSome cool, smart people work here (at least those that haven't left already)

Laid back atmosphere and hours - jeans and t shirt are OK, no one will say anything if you come in late or leave early as long as you get your work done.

Pretty open to new technology / ideas.

ConsComp - Expect to get severely lowballed if you get an offer from here. For annual raises, expect to get the absolute minimum they can give you to keep you from quitting, if you even get one. Bonuses are basically non-existent.

No respect for work/life balance - Expect to get chewed out if you dare take off during busy times, if you're even allowed to take off at all.

No real stability - there's constant reorgs, rebranding, shuffling...employee turnover is insane. Basically anyone talented stays for like a year or so then leaves. Why is that?

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate your middle managers, some of them are really ineffective.

Recognize and pay good employees before they walk out

Great place to grow your career

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Health Market Science full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHMS truly promotes career growth within the company. Executive management does a good job of recognizing and rewarding talent. Very flexible working environment. Some people work hours other than 9-5 and work from home one day a week. For a smaller company, HMS has a very wide range of clients across healthcare, which make a pretty impressive, diverse, portfolio.

ConsThere seems to be very little promotion/salary activity aside from the yearly reviews. it would be nice to recognize talented people outside of a mass yearly promotion across the entire organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to pay talented employees what you know they deserve before they look elsewhere.

Stay away

Programmer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Health Market Science as a contractor

ProsSome of people are kind/nice. Others not nice.

ConsNo opportunity to switch roles or departments. Middle management is very much a nightmare.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease train managers need to be better

Worked for Health Market Science? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Health Market Science reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Health Market Science CEO Matt Reichert. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Health Market Science employees.