Health Net of California Reviews

Jay M. Gellert

1. it is good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Underwriting Assistant in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriting Assistant in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Health Net of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

healthcare is unstable across the board

Cons

training and compensation was good

Good intentions, insightful CEO (Jay Gellert), weak execution by the rest of the senior management leadership

I worked at Health Net of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Better than average salaries. good bonuses in good earning years. Will do well in a mass market by following the herd. Good place to work if you don't like change. Good financial area keeps the business running, in spite of lack of operational expense controls and management.

Cons

No delivery or integrity to support company values, very weak senior management and leadership, rampant crony-ism, promotions and praise for incumbent 'friends'. Operational management and leaders are over their experience and competency levels to manage their businesses or their people, actively fight any change, and lack mature leadership to make and act on necessary decisions.

Advice to Management

I can't say this more gently: get rid of any management or leader who is not or cannot be objective and professional and with visible experience elsewhere.

3. It is good company to work for

Current Employee - Supervisor in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Health Net of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee benefits: matching 401K, wellness policy, education reimbursement

Cons

executive management and leadership. you cannot trust your management team

Advice to Management

Management should appreciate employees more and do not let good talents leaving to competitor companies. Employees are losing trust in the executive management because of contract restructuring.

No guarantees...Your results may vary!

I have been working at Health Net of California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My experience at Health Net was great as long as the management in my department was good. I worked hard and my manager let me know I was appreciated. I know individuals from other departments that are long term employees an d are very happy and satisfied with the job. The benefits are decent, but they tweak them often, and they seem to be on a downward spiral. Job satisfaction is tied to how efficiently run your department is, and results vary widely.

Cons

My experience at Health Net was great until a new manager was transferred in that was clueless. Everyone under him suffered greatly, and no one above him seemed to care. Several left, many more are looking.

Management skill varies greatly between departments. Many of the managers with absolutely abysmal knowledge/skill are in positions of authority doing very poor jobs, working right alongside other managers who are dedicated top acheivers. Both are treated the same by upper management. NO ONE wants to rock the boat, and bad people are rarely removed, which causes good people to look for other employment. After a few years of this, most of the good workers have moved on. The ones that stay are bitter and unhappy.

No one is sure what the role of the HR department is (Called OE at Health Net). They seem to be defensive of any misconduct by management, and completely unsupportive of the employees. On seeking advice regarding illegal and discriminatory conduct by a manager, one employee was told, "Well you know its an "At Will" state and your manager can fire you for any reason." Yep, that was helpful.

Advice to Management

Give your OE department some power to improve the behavior of your managers. They seem to feel there are no solutions available to them. Health Net is doomed to always trail the competition if we keep losing our best talent and have to get new people up to speed every six months.

Good working environment.

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Health Net of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good employee morale. Everyone is happy to do their work.

Cons

Constant change of senior management strategy.

7. My time at Health Net was a good experience and I enjoyed working there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Health Net of California

Pros

I no longer know because they have outsourced many functions and I believe it is now a very different place than when I worked there.

Cons

Outsourcing has caused problems for the general population.

Advice to Management

none

8. Good company with potential, management seems to have lost focus

Former Employee - Health Care Project Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Health Care Project Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Health Net of California

Pros

Decent benefits, good working enviornment

Cons

Typical highly bureaucratic HMO, communication with Sr. management is unidirectional

Cooperative people amidst a changing environment

I worked at Health Net of California

Pros

For most part there is open information sharing within the company. People are cooperative and happy to assist in projects. The management tries to make employees feel valued.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement might be somewhat limited. Management seems to change strategy every 6 months. The company had been going through a series of layoffs. There isn't a feeling of stability within the company.

Advice to Management

Try to chart a clear course for the company and stick to it. Constant changes make the employees lose faith in the management.

10. Health Net Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Health Net of California

Pros

Great benefits all around. Work / Life balance is good. Great people to work with. Very loose / laid back culture.

Cons

Out of touch leadership. Leadership not seriously in tune with the needs of the business. More talk than action. No aspiration from management to grow, nor compete in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Hold all levels of management accountable. Too many leaders are there to pick up a paycheck and have no interest in moving the company forward.

11. Health Net. The Wrong Decision.

I worked at Health Net of California

Pros

The salary and benefits are standard for the market. The office buildings are convenient to restaurants, shopping malls, freeways and local transportation.

Cons

Lay-offs, budget cuts, and shareholder performance pressure are the norm for Health Net.
    Opportunity for advancement is slim if you are not in Sales or a Sales-related support position.

Advice to Management

Health Net underwent 12 re-organizations in the past 4 years. Poor decisions are being made re: leadership, operations, and the strategic direction for the company. Health Net struggles to maintain market share while ineffectually doing little to improve customer service and retention. Every aspect of company operations is problematic, and often poorly planned "band aid" solutions are put into place that only exacerbate the problems and frustrate employees and customers alike (Health Net's typical method of correcting for these misguided efforts is more lay-offs and budget cuts). Perhaps it's time for Health Net to seriously consider acquisition by another health plan.