Health Plan of San Joaquin Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.5
CEO

Overall a good place to work

I worked at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good mission statement and values

Cons

Compensation, benefits, opportunities for advancement

In desperate need of good leadership

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time

Pros

Decent pay and benefits even though they've recently taken away benefits/perks, alternate work schedules, good employees.

Cons

Leadership - very poor leadership, inconsistent in applying policies, unwilling to address issues, have consultants in key leadership positions that have no interest in what we've done historically.

Advice to Management

Work with the employees - you taking the lead in determining how to address issues identified in the employee satisfaction survey is a joke. You have been and continue to be the problem. Get the line level staff in there and work together to determine how best to move forward. This is why we now have the union coming in - which by the way not all of us are thrilled with having them here.

Brutal, bumbling, blunders of a tenderfoot CEO who isn't cutting the mustard.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in French Camp, CA

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice walking trails right outside French Camp office. Gives staff a place to escape from horrible, hopeless, harmful work environment spawned by CEO.

Cons

Amy Shin, the CEO, is self-centered, insecure, unprofessional, destructive and in way over her head in a job she wasn't qualified for in a community she couldn’t care less about. Not a leader. But, she sees herself as ruler and we as her subjects. Staff meetings are her embarrassing monthly self-tributes. The Health Commission is unprepared, unqualified, uninterested, and unable to lead a local health plan. It has delegated all of its governance and decision-making responsibilities to Amy and given her its permanent thumbs-up. Commission is now acting as if is afraid Amy Shin will fire, publicly humiliate, outsource, or abuse them if they ask questions or disagree with her. Sure not looking out for the community, the providers, the employees, the members, or the taxpayers. Commission meetings are an embarrassment. If not so sad, would be worth watching simply for the comedy of errors and ineptitude. Amy’s ongoing reign of terror supported by the Commission’s reign of error has resulted in a tyrannical, toxic work environment with startling staff turnover and now a union. Amy has driven the health plan into crisis and dysfunction at every level, but Commission blissfully ignores/is unaware of this massive crisis due to nine months of rate-relief generated income and Amy’s willingness to evade responsibility for crisis she has caused by throwing blame at everything and everyone else everyday.

Advice to Management

Be transparent. Do what other public agencies (San Joaquin County for example) do and post all public commission materials including minutes on website for easy access. Staff, providers, and general public should be able to see what is being presented at public meetings and how commission is acting at this public agency. Require that CEO of local health plan care enough about its service area to live in it. May prevent risk of something crazy like CEO destroying local relationships being built up over years and seeking to merge HPSJ with a plan closer to CEO's bay area home for no apparent reasons other than to reduce commute time and limit time in service area.

Desperate need of new competent Executive Team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in French Camp, CA

Pros

It's a job with pay.

Cons

Leadership at all levels are incompetent, the CEO lies, reports reimbursement for bottled water. She doesn't care about her employees. She backed staff against the wall to unionize, which never was considered before Amy Chin came along. She stripped down benefits, vacation, and sick time. The turnover of staff is unbelievable. The company has never experienced such turnover. The Commission members don't care giving leadership the ability to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars without asking questions. No one has a voice except for dictators Amy Chin and Victoria Hazen.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to leave and the company needs restructuring. Amy Chin continues to run a once strong and trusted community based company into the ground.

Claim managers need to learn people skills

Current Employee - Analyst in French Camp, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in French Camp, CA

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time

Pros

Employees are great to work with and very helpful.

Cons

Our new claim managers need to learn to treat the Analyst with respect, for them only being there a short time they need to be replaced with new Managers that don't walk around with a stick up there butt. For the many years of experience they really don't know anything except how to be rude, unfriendly, and play favorites. They need to go back to billing and take there friends with them.

Advice to Management

CEO,COO and CFO needs to stop lying and stop spending tax payers hard earned money on remodeling buildings that aren't even theirs. Managers need to stop acting like they walk on water, they crap in the toilet just like the rest of us unless there an animal

Dictator CHIN

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I worked at Health Plan of San Joaquin part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Absolutely nothing, run as far away from HPSJ as possible, save your self!! This place is a joke. Chin is not right in the head.

Cons

Amy chin/CEO has completely taken HPSJ down a path of self destruction. Chin's comments have been discriminatory, sexist, racist, and absolutely inappropriate especially coming from an immigrant. I am thoroughly disgusted with chin's actions and or decisions to "run" HPSJ. Chin is a completely and utter failure not only at being a person but equally as a leader; unfortunately the commissions fail to realize what this monster has done. I have never been as humiliated, disrespected, and unappreciated to the effect that chin has done. Chin's definition of CEO - Cold hearted, evil, and Oligarch. I questioned myself to figure out how chin qualified to be a CEO, we both know that you Amy Chin are a phoney, everything comes to an end, and believe me I trust in the lord. You will be held accountable for you destruction.

Advice to Management

Hitler chin- it's time for you to leave what you have ruined; I suggest you travel back to China and continue to push pills.

All the negative reviews are true!!!!

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time

Pros

Good retirement benefits but I'm sure that it will be the next thing that is taken away.

Cons

Inexperienced CEO. Commission needs to start taking some action regarding all the red flags; worst employee satisfaction ever, union organization by employees, spending tax payers money foolishly, etc...

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and value their knowledge and experience. Practice what you preach.

Glass door lol

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in French Camp, CA

Pros

A few good co workers left but most have moved on. The operation is run by third rate execs, they have the track record to prove it.

Cons

The IT room literally has a glass door now.

Advice to Management

If you truly care about the community and want what is best for the company, realize you are all out of your league and leave. We need motivational leaders just as HPSJ had up until 3 years ago. With how things have turned completely polar opposite to what the company used to be with high employee satisfaction, it is irrefutable HPSJ leadership is lacking and in large part responsible for this horrible work environment. Exec team is out of touch and is free to travel to other continents and vacation homes so it is understandable that their outlook is great. HPSj is the hand that feeds them, but the employees are that hand so stop biting it!

Leadership and values matter

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time

Pros

With 300,000 members, has big share of MediCal market in San Joaquin and Stanislaus Counties. With new rates from state starting last fall, it is currently doing good financially for now. Some strong, good, dedicated staff members driven by mission and values are hanging on and doing the very best we can under circumstances. Good retirement benefits if can stay long enough to vest and/or they aren't cut. Until two years ago was a respected, innovative, financially strong organization, with at least a few interested and involved commissioners, satisfied employees and members and providers, and good rep in community.

Cons

"Leadership" and values of current CEO/executive team and place transformed turned place into a total mess in less than two years. A long-time positive workplace with good rep and good relations with community and providers is now a toxic, hostile work environment with BAD morale, lack of trust among staff at all levels, finger-pointing everywhere, BAD communication between departments, fear of risk-taking/innovating, and BAD coordination and collaboration. Big-time performance issues in every department and rep among providers sinking. Cause is a domineering, bully of a CEO without leadership abilities. Made worse because others at all levels of organization now have role model. So there is now a company culture of negative, bullying, finger pointing, blaming, excuse making, ect. Either CEO or others when CEO not around. Most recent employee survey conducted by HR (results Feb 2015) had terrible results. Found staff had no-confidence in CEO and executive team. Results were way worse than even the previously all-time bad survey of 2013 that reflected only 6 months of "leadership" of current CEO and executive team. The Feb 2015 results were MUCH WORSE than national norms on EVERY single one of the multiple measures surveyed. Measures like employee satisfaction, belief and trust in leadership and what they communicate, teamwork and collaboration, career development, and ethics and values. 3 months since staff got the employee survey results and only significant response from CEO so far has been to remove employee satisfaction as corporate metric for all employees (even the CEO and Executive Team responsible for it). Dilbert approved. Staff confidence/ trust of CEO and executive team is worse now than when survey results were released. . Big probs finding, hiring, and keeping staff at all levels. Seems people may not like working for CEO. The first two executive team members hired by CEO either quit or asked to change jobs within 6 months of being hired. Now, having to recruit from way way way out of California for upper management now. Toxic work environment, weak response to the really bad results to the late 2013 employee satisfaction survey conducted under current CEO, and the unanticipated benefits cuts that shocked staff and were poorly announced by CEO near end of 2014 drove staff to consider and then decide to unionize. Management fought, but passed very fast. Union certified last month. Listed as con because of what caused unionizing efforts and uncertainty around it. But, considered pro by majority of staff. Weak, uninformed, rubber stamp health commission.

Advice to Management

Health Commission – Time to get serious and start asking questions of staff, providers, and one another or is short-term profit all that matters? Learn what is really going on throughout the organization and act. Stand up and represent the values and long-term interests of the health plan, doctors and other providers, members, the health of the local community, ect CEO and executive team – Thank your lucky stars for size of last rate adjustment. Elsewise, wouldn't even have short-term profits to boast about. Time to stop blaming the past, current commissioners, former commissioners, the possible union, the now union, current providers, past providers, others, growth and change, stagnancy, conspiracy, ect. For two years staff has been counting on you for thoughtful, inspiring, dignified, leadership it can trust and a commitment to our values. Getting none of it Your "leadership" and values have failed for each of those years. Please get serious, get better, or get out. Leadership and values matter. Try to be open and honest with Commission.

Don't committ career suicide, stay far, far away from this place!

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time

Pros

Nice building, although it is next to a cemetery and the county jail. Prisoners get released every morning and try to ask you for money. Technology was decent. It wasn’t the greatest but it wasn’t the worst I’ve ever seen either. They experienced recent growth into a new county.

Cons

Weak, disorganized management that micromanage people – HPSJ is filled with weak managers that all have their fair share of poor performance, missed deadlines and failed projects. When upper management barks at these horrible results, it all rolls downhill in the form of micromanaging their staff. This micromanaging will make employees quit or end up getting fired for foolish reasons. Then, when the manager tries to hire a replacement, they change the job description to look for more experienced and more educated employees because they don’t plan on training new hires. Whatever skills you walk in the door with as a new hire, are the skills you will leave with. Low pay, poor benefits – HPSJ is practically located in Stockton, CA. An area known for gang violence, prostitution, political corruption and bankruptcy. The high paying jobs are in the San Francisco Bay area, which is about an hour’s drive from Stockton. A highly talented person would have to be a fool to leave a high paying Bay Area job to come work for nearly 30% less pay and mediocre benefits. Clock out and continue working – My department manager makes us (the hourly staff) clock out at 5pm and continue to work off the clock until we finish our work. I can't what until the union gets in here so I can file a grievance. Employee Surveys – Every year, HR would try to make us fill out an employee satisfaction survey (that they claim is supposed to be confidential). Every year, the results would be so bad that the Executive Team would get embarrassed by the results and nothing ever happens. The new CEO even claimed that when she came onboard, there would be change if we spoke up and participated in the survey. So much fo that. If you don’t plan on fixing work issues, stop giving the survey! Manual processes – None of the processes are written down. When you start as a new hire, you bounce around from person to person learning different parts of your job. If you don’t write it down, you will struggle because everything is a manual process. The way you’re supposed to do your job here is committed to memory. Nothing is automated. You either learn it or get fired for not learning it. What’s sad is that when someone leaves, all that company knowledge goes right out the door with them. Overworked, heavy workload – At HPSJ, there are 500 things that are priority #1, but then only 3 things that are priority #2 and maybe 1 thing that is priority #3. No matter what department you work in, you are going to feel like a slave. In fact, on Halloween a few year ago, the whole department dressed up in prisoner costumes because that what it feels like. Working at HPSJ was like doing hard time in Alcatraz! Change in focus – The Executive Team changes the company’s focus so much that we never know the goal. First, we were going to be in the Exchange, then we weren’t. Then, we were going to get NCQA certified, then we weren’t. Then, we were going to expand to take on more members, then we weren’t. There used to be a company called Radio Shack that recently had this same problem. If HPSJ continues to change their focus four or five times in the same year, we will face the same fate. Corruption – There’s a whole lot of lying, cheating and stealing going on at this company. Turnover – It’s a revolving door at this company. You may be working on a project with someone in another department and the very next week, you are told that this person is no longer with the company.

Advice to Management

Let the union in so they can show you how to treat your employees!

RSS Feed </> Embed