Health Service Executive

Updated July 17, 2014
2.1

CEO

HSE Ireland

Current Employee - SHO  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - SHO in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Health Service Executive as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours - Co operative staff - Light work load

Cons

Best for temporary placements only - permanent positions are difficult to get - Regulations are sometimes in gray areas

Satisfactory

HSE support services

I have been working at Health Service Executive

Pros

Stable guaranteed continued employment, pension, holiday days.

Cons

Unions have paved the way for lazy people to be lazy, and most take full advantage. Employees have set duties and seldom get asked, or dare to be asked to do extra. Bloated management/administration.

Actually be managers and instill discipline/consequences, realistic pay for what the work involves. i.e too generous!

Stay Clear

I have been working at Health Service Executive full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If all that interests you is a consistent wage and security, you will get that. There is very little you could do to compromise your job security - which is a very big part of the problem, particularly in management.

Cons

Mis-managed corrupt organisationn, run by egos. If you have any interest in getting things done, efficiency, being given the opportunity to provide a good service - avoid the HSE. It must be the most frustrating organisation in the world to work for. The level of bullying and abuse is rampant since the economic downturn. THe problem seems to be heavy overloading of incompetent management, which has never been vetted for the role.

Management need to remember that the staff on the dround are professionals, not slaves to be bullied and abused.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Abusive, exploitative, disorganised

Former Employee - Nchd  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Nchd in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Health Service Executive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very few good things to say

Cons

36 hr shifts regularly for doctors.
    Not paying doctors.
    Treating doctors very very poorly

Where do I start?!

job for life

Current Employee - Grade IV  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Grade IV in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Health Service Executive full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

pension if you are old enough

Cons

nothing new, very slow to change

Depends on what you're looking for...

Former Employee - Clerical Officer  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Clerical Officer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Health Service Executive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- It's extremely difficult to get fired.
    - The work is beyond easy.
    - Flexi time, shopping day at Christmas, annual salary increase for merely existing.
    - If you don't care about your career and you just want a secure job that pays the mortgage the HSE is the place for you.

Cons

This is not the place to work if you are in any way ambitious or hate bureaucracy. I worked here on and off for years, most of it during the boom times so I wasn't subject to the doom and gloom there is now but I doubt much has changed.
    - It's impossible to advance unless you're willing to play the game of corporate politics and nepotism is rampant (relatives on hiring panels for other relatives, conflict of interest much?).
    - If you try to change anything or do something more efficiently people will stare at you blankly and say "but we've always done it this way".
    - Useless layers of middle managers who do literally nothing.
    - Consultants constantly brought it to run up high bills and make recommendations no one listens to.
    - Lots of turning a blind eye to some very serious infractions that would easily get people fired elsewhere.
    - If someone high up doesn't like you they'll ship you off to a crappy department or location.

Run it like a private company.

particularly punitive towards junior doctors

Current Employee - Non Consultant Hospital Doctor  in  Tallaght, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Non Consultant Hospital Doctor in Tallaght, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Health Service Executive full-time for more than a year

Pros

other staff who are similarly disillusioned

Cons

Still not addressing illegal hours against ewtd. There is a general lack of respect for junior doctors with the mentality of 'importing new doctors' if the current don't toe the line.
    Nil tax reliefs or financial help with exams or medical registration fees or continuous professional competency expenses, all of which are huge expenses.
    Lack of any stable position unlike other countries who have staff grade doctors and may allow people to work part time.

great talent, excellent teaching and learnign opportunities if you chase them, poor management

Current Employee - Registrar  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Registrar in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Health Service Executive full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

large public teaching institutions in ireland are the backbone of the healthcare sector. many of their departments, though underfunded and outdated equipment-wise, have some of the worlds leaders in research and teaching and international guideline development. your experience here is based on pure volume, as well as access to learning that you might have to fight for more aggressively in the us

Cons

it is what you make of it. if you don't want to move forward you can easily remain stagnant. you have to fight beaurocracy, horrendous working hours, and increasingly exorbitant examination and course fees.

have clinicians on the board. compensate them for staying relevant with examinations by covering those costs or you will end up with a workforce that is purely service and not the innovators you have today. work laterally with the uk and the colleges to prevent the need for multiple examiantions fo rthe same psecialty, multiple registrations for the same colleges in diffierent countries. try to implement the ewtd rather than pressurizing people to cover for the lack of staff.

It pays my bills.

Pros

Guaranteed pay check even if the money is crap.

Cons

Too many chiefs. Too many people with job titles they dont need.

Stop giving job titles to people where its not needed. Staff officers do nothing except approve annual leave. Anyone can do that.

Brilliant

I have been working at Health Service Executive

Pros

Working at HSE is unique experience because HSE provides me perfect platform to launch my career in a very challenging environment.

Cons

No more opportunities in HSE as cutbacks have crippled the whole infrastructure of the org. and there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Worked for Health Service Executive? Contribute to the Community!