Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina

Be The First To
Add Photos

Catherine B. Templeton

Solid values

Training and Development Director (Former Employee)
Columbia, SC

I worked at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSolid values and transparent finances.

ConsCalcified management culture made it hard to advance.

I had a wonderful time with fantastic coworkers.

Pool Inspector (Former Employee)
Columbia, SC

I worked at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina as an intern for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay was great, I had a fantastic management. Great hours and wonderful benefits. I had a blast every day at work

ConsI had to work in the heat and cold sometimes. I personally enjoy working in those conditions but for someone who doesn't maybe pick your job accordingly.

Few opportunities for professional or financial advancement.

Environmental Health Manager (Former Employee)
Columbia, SC

ProsExperience, making contacts, and resume building.
Inherent public employee benefits such as annual leave and vacation
Depending on where in the Agency you work, you may be able to work flex schedules

ConsNo raises available in the Agency during my 4 year tenure (not even cost of living)
-Field staff are payed extremely low
-Low and middle management isn't paid enough either
-Many managers do not have related educational background
-Too often there is a lack of scientific culture and curiosity

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease recognize that most employees receive extremely poor compensation and have equally poor prospects for professional advancement. Due to this problem DHEC is loosing quality staff. The associated high turnover rate is leading to an overall reduction in the quality of the Agency.

Stop the degradation of DHEC by providing a clear pathway to pay increases. Opportunities for advancements within a classification (or by promotion to a new classification) should be used to promote growth of employees.

The only pathway to a bigger paycheck for most employees during was to apply for a new position in a different field. This would "waste" the experience of that employee because their old position is filled by someone who needs training and is often less qualified. This amounts to internal "brain-drain" on top of the obvious losses of staff to other employers.

There are still some great staff left in the Agency but most of them seem to be sticking around out of convenience. Some of these people are unwilling/unable to move from their current location for new employment. Others might have flexible work schedules which allows them to support their family better.

Excellent people who really want to serve the people of SC well despite their own red tape...

Program Manager (Former Employee)
North Charleston, SC

I worked at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople you work with, both internally and externally.
In my area at least, interesting work which presented new challenges and potential for learning.
T-I-M-E...37.5 hr work week (theoretically, at least), 3 weeks paid leave, 3 weeks sick leave
The opportunity to serve the citizens of South Carolina, a fantastic place to live!

ConsToo many layers of upper management means you spend a seemingly endless amount of time accounting for, briefiing, discussing, and reporting rather than actually working on the task assigned.
Knee-jerk reactions are all too common and create a startled and frenzied work environment where prductivity dives as confidence in actions by employees are shaken.
Communication up and across stands to be greatly improved.
Sometimes common sense takes a back seat to a perception-focused interpretation of policies or procedures. Rather than solving an issue, it's more important to appear to be solving the issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down on the appearance of action. Listen, really listen to the folks on te front line every day. Then act, really act upon the actual issues at hand. Make it possible for managers to manage a team of empowered individuals rather than manage a case load of work plus some administrative personnel duties. Stop meeting for meeting sake.

They don't care about the advancement of their employees

EHMI (Current Employee)
Columbia, SC

I have been working at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMinimal work hours and nice co-workers

ConsThey don't care about you or the environment

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least appear that you care about your employees

Awful

Program Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina

ProsTime off when needed. Many learning opportunities.

ConsLack of growth potential, favoritism, lacking compensation, poor moral, lack of communication. Benefits are not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example and stop trying to run the department like your very own corporation. Supervisory training needs to be updated. Respect your employees the way you would want to be respected.

Worked for Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina CEO Catherine B. Templeton. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina employees.