HealthEast Care System

Kathryn Correia

I LOVE MY JOB!

Current Employee - EHR Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - EHR Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at HealthEast Care System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

HealthEast has always provided opportunities for me to grow and find positions that accommodate my needs. I absolutely love my job and the people I work with, and I am compensated well for my skills and take pride in my work.

HealthEast provides generous amounts of PTO, retirement savings matching, fitness and well-being classes, and many more great benefits.

Cons

Some management is hit or miss and poor managers or employees not pulling their weight are not often dealt with or moved out quickly. I would not say that this is a large problem but it exists.

VBI is not a one-size-fits-all approach in this type of environment and seems to be producing some discord with employees who are not finding it valuable.

There is a point where LEAN is too lean.

Exciting at first until the realization sets in

Former Employee - Nutrition Services Aide in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Nutrition Services Aide in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at HealthEast Care System part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Interacting with patients is definitely a plus if you are looking for experience.
    -Pay is decent but certainly comes with the cost of being expendable and slave mentality.

Cons

-Management is unfortunately unwilling to compromise. For a few of those in the senior positions, it is their way or the highway.
    -Management is very noisy concerning private/ personal issues.
    -Hiring managers consistently make poor hiring decisions which causes the workload to increase for the rest of the employees.
    -Employees are expendable

Learn to respect your employees. They work extremely hard and receive little admiration if any from management. In addition, you MUST reformat your hiring process. The screening must be more rigorous as many are hired not possessing the drive they need to succeed. The reason many of your top employees are leaving/ dissatisfied is directly correlated with your hiring decisions and negligence to work with student schedules as many of them are pursuing degrees. However, in the interview, the impression given is that management is willing to work with students. This is entirely not the case.

Generally nice people, good starting pay

Current Employee - Storekeeper in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Storekeeper in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at HealthEast Care System

Pros

Nice people, good entry-level pay

Cons

They take forever to fire horrible employees and they take months to hire replacements even after they are given two weeks notices.

Welcoming, friendly IT atmosphere

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at HealthEast Care System as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great office culture, at least in the IS department. People are mostly friendly and genuine.
    Decent work-life balance

Cons

I worked as a contractor for only 2.5 months, so I did not encounter any cons during my brief stay

LEAN, LEAN, LEANING

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at HealthEast Care System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Okay starting wages...if you bargain your wage up front (continuous pay freezes, low to non-existent cost of living increases).

Cons

I am tired Of LEANING backwards, forwards and sideways . I am sick of LEAN, I am sick of LEANING over all the time and I am not going to take it anymore!
    No quality management system is one-size-fits-all. There are no magic bullets, and LEAN isn’t right for every institution. Notably, the principles of LEAN are typically applied to manufacturing not healthcare. It can take between two and ten years for LEAN implementation to take place. Significant drivers of this change have been economic constraints resulting from changes in reimbursement for care, rapid advances in clinical technologies and care modalities, and corporatism of health care systems. Hospitals and health systems have been forced to focus on cost control and restructuring of operations to achieve maximum efficiencies. Many cost savings in healthcare have been realized at the expense of direct caregivers, including downsizing of the professional healthcare workforce, restructuring of services, changes in staffing mix, rapid movement of patients to alternative care settings, and decreased support services for patient care. Furthermore, poor collaboration amongst the health care providers hampers efforts to provide quality care in today's health systems. Many of the employees describe the current work environment as highly stressful and professionally unfulfilling.

Time may not be on your side for implementing LEAN initiatives, unless you aren't concerned about your best employee's leaving for greener pastures.

This was once a good place to work, and now? Pathetic

I have been working at HealthEast Care System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is not bad and my colleagues are great. It is centrally located and the work itself is challenging and interesting. We have a strong union.

Cons

Upper management consists of con artists spouting New Age nonsense and palming it off as innovative strategy. Middle and lower management is generally incompetent and dishonest. Employees are forced to participate in time-wasting activities which seem to serve only to validate CEO's delusional management theories. All departments are woefully understaffed and there are far too many managers who continually harass employees regarding sick time, picking up extra shifts, etc. I.T. is a joke and we are expected to "work around" extremely flawed software. In my department there have been no full-time hires for almost 8 years; employees who retire or leave have been replaced by part-time staffers who earn limited benefits. Staffing cuts and incoherent management have severely compromised patient care and safety.

Get out of our way! Nurses and technologists here know what they are doing. The CEO needs to step down (or perhaps serve prison time for fraud). Self-indulgent faux-Zen sloganeering is no excuse for competent realistic management of what was once a great health care system. Pretending to listen to employee feedback is not the same as listening to employee feedback; you're not fooling anyone.

Genuine Snake-In-The-Grass Strikes Again!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Maplewood, MN

I worked at HealthEast Care System

Pros

Expected wages and compensation for the surrounding metro area.

Cons

Some of the employees in the department I worked in, caused employee turnovers by working behind their backs to slander and sabotage them. Pushing them out the door because they declared them as terrible employees and they believe management made a mistake by hiring them, in the first place.

Be advised of employee turnover, especially as the economy gets better.

Staff member

I have been working at HealthEast Care System

Pros

Great place to work; changes are leading the company in the right direction.

Cons

Employees that so not want things to change.

None

I Loved My Job !

Former Employee - Medical Records in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Medical Records in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at HealthEast Care System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Industry average compensation and benefits.

Cons

The cons are, you are treated like another employee number and they let you know it. When you first get hired and you are at orientation you sign their paper saying they can fire you for any reason, you can bet that is to be true! Personally, I found the HR department and management to have no accountability. Along with bad management you will find the facilities to be broken on a daily basis. Its a wonder they need comprehensive employee assistance programs. they are horrible to work for. Not only do they want you to do a 1000 things at once. Some have God-like personalities and think they are more important than others. In this type of enviorment as a result, everyone is stressed out and it trickles downhill. Some employees will gossip about you and if they don't like you they will make things up to get you into trouble and overtly set you up for failure...so much for the on-boarding! Where no one is unofficially allowed to take breaks and if you do - watch out, others will make you regret it. If you plan on working here, know that its a watch your back situation. it's by far the worst company I've worked for. Please be assured, any positive reviews and ratings are coming from the boss and/or Hr...in one way or another.

Making employees feel valued, competent and part of something great will go a long way toward making them feel they had made a great career move. The quicker they feel that way, the faster they feel engaged and are able to contribute to your organization. This needs to be consistent all the way through and not just the first six months.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Professional/Management
    Former Employee - Professional/Management

I worked at HealthEast Care System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The staff performing front line work are caring and compassionate. They support each other. Pay is average. Benefits average.

Cons

Change in CEO was disappointing. Was a long time employee and thought I would retire from this company, but the changes to our system have made it an impersonal and thankless environment. Expected to do more than is realistic and not complain. Difficult to maintain a work/life balance anymore. When discussed in exit interview, it was basically brushed off as "that's the way it's going to be."

Start listening to your middle managers and staff and start caring about them as people again. The exodus of many excellent staff and leaders should make you stand up and take notice.

HealthEast Care System Photos