HealthEast Care System

I LOVE MY JOB!

Current Employee - EHR Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - EHR Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at HealthEast Care System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

HealthEast has always provided opportunities for me to grow and find positions that accommodate my needs. I absolutely love my job and the people I work with, and I am compensated well for my skills and take pride in my work.

HealthEast provides generous amounts of PTO, retirement savings matching, fitness and well-being classes, and many more great benefits.

Cons

Some management is hit or miss and poor managers or employees not pulling their weight are not often dealt with or moved out quickly. I would not say that this is a large problem but it exists.

VBI is not a one-size-fits-all approach in this type of environment and seems to be producing some discord with employees who are not finding it valuable.

There is a point where LEAN is too lean.

I Loved My Job !

Former Employee - Medical Records in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Medical Records in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at HealthEast Care System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Industry average compensation and benefits.

Cons

The cons are, you are treated like another employee number and they let you know it. When you first get hired and you are at orientation you sign their paper saying they can fire you for any reason, you can bet that is to be true! Personally, I found the HR department and management to have no accountability. Along with bad management you will find the facilities to be broken on a daily basis. Its a wonder they need comprehensive employee assistance programs. they are horrible to work for. Not only do they want you to do a 1000 things at once. Some have God-like personalities and think they are more important than others. In this type of enviorment as a result, everyone is stressed out and it trickles downhill. Some employees will gossip about you and if they don't like you they will make things up to get you into trouble and overtly set you up for failure...so much for the on-boarding! Where no one is unofficially allowed to take breaks and if you do - watch out, others will make you regret it. If you plan on working here, know that its a watch your back situation. it's by far the worst company I've worked for. Please be assured, any positive reviews and ratings are coming from the boss and/or Hr...in one way or another.

Making employees feel valued, competent and part of something great will go a long way toward making them feel they had made a great career move. The quicker they feel that way, the faster they feel engaged and are able to contribute to your organization. This needs to be consistent all the way through and not just the first six months.

NO APPRECIATION

Current Employee - Clinical Analyst (Health Informatics/Statistics) in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at HealthEast Care System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My Team and cube mates

Cons

HealthEast has cut benefits, scheduled staff for 80 hour weeks and paid them for 40, while you are bleeding your PTO. Expectations on staff are unrealistic, exploits hard work and dedication. They expect you to work long hours, expect to use your cell phone for call yet offer no stipend for doing so. Pay you $1.50 an hour for call (seriously). I am aware of many looking for the door. Maybe if there was a thank you! I don't know, you get yelled at by Doctors , Nurses, Leads,and no support from managers.

Pay you staff for the value they provide. Show them there hard work and dedication means something, give us a reason to stay.

Unfortunately unfriendly and not supportive.

Former Employee - CMA in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - CMA in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at HealthEast Care System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Over all a top health company to work for.
    If working in the hospital setting it is a great place to work.

Cons

OutPatient clinics are run with a lot of disorganization and not professional. Most of the out patient clinics are managed with managers that don'[t have a medical back ground, therefore are run by what looks good on paper.

Should be required to either have a medical back ground or should have to follow in each area OF THE CLINIC FOLLOWING AN EMPLOYEE SO THEY HAVE FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT REALLY HAPPENS. Also to keep a standard of professionalism and not share employee information with other employees.

Used to be good

Former Employee - Lpn in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Lpn in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at HealthEast Care System (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Doctors and co-workers were great!
    Good hours though you were not supposed to work any overtime even though it's unavoidable

Cons

The centralization of the company is a HUGE letdown to employees and patients. Took a "family" atmosphere and made it 100% impersonal. Valued long term employees were let go due to not fitting in with the new model. VERY disappointing

Voice your opinion to change-keep good staff on hand

Used to be a 5 star company, now not so much

Current Employee - Management in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Management in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at HealthEast Care System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Used to be the best place in the world to work, if you are in direct patient care maybe it still is. I would not know as I am in middle management and it is just dreadful. See below

Cons

Out of 500 managers/directors company wide, I would guess probably 450 of them are very unhappy with how HealthEast is being led at this time. The implementation of LEAN has turned into a grind that no one wants to do (pushed in areas where it did not even make sense), the new computer system is going to be implemented soon and nothing gets dropped off your plate and the CEO "appears" to dislike people of any kind.

People who leave the company are now physically and emotionally healthier than ones who stay. CEO needs people skills badly and both she and the senior leadership team are enclosed in a stainless steel bubble on what is happening in the organization. My advice is for the board, WAKE UP!

Great place to work for!

Current Employee - Production Applications Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Production Applications Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at HealthEast Care System full-time

Pros

Good benefits, willing work around your life, good locations, great people.

Cons

Driving in St. Paul.

Good while I was there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at HealthEast Care System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Direct manager trusted the team to get the work done without standing over our shoulders. No micro-managers there that I encountered.

Cons

After the change to a new CPOE system, the working conditions (i.e. office space) became more crowded and factory-like. Too many people crowded into one room with small work spaces for each.

Management is horrible

I have been working at HealthEast Care System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

At one time HE was a good company to work for.

Cons

Management treats their employees like crap. They show favoritism toward some employees and treat others unfairly. Management seems to think it is professional to tell their female employees that they need to "Pull up their big girl panties and move on." Very hostile toward employees and very disrespectful regarding employees feelings and thoughts. Comments made by management are degrading.

Don't work in management if you are unable to communicate with your employees with a level of respect. People do not deserve to be treated with such disregard. I work with a great bunch of people and they don't deserve the way they are being treated on a daily basis. People are leaving because they are unable to deal with the abusive treatment. Very sad.

Excellent health care employer in Twin Cities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at HealthEast Care System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HealthEast provides great benefits, they encourage professional development and often promote from within. I can't imagine working for a different health care company.

Cons

Wish work was closer to home.

HealthEast Care System Photos