HealthEdge Software

2.8

Rob Gillette

Challenging but rewarding

I have been working at HealthEdge Software

Pros

6 months ago this was hard to say but now the organization is heading in the right direction. Several members of the management team have been upgraded with people who get the right things done ...good leaders. Company is growing and makes my personal time investment so far good. Product quality is high. Engineering team is great and I am happy with the quality of my peers.

Cons

Same as others: teams are to lean and people are working hard all the time nonstop. Company culture still trying to find an identity. People turn over too much and that seems random and avoidable. We need training. Most people are working on different things without a clear understanding of why.

We work hard and want to see the company succeed, most of us are very happy to be here. Good changes recently and hopefully more to come. More places to grow would be nice

Great work environment and work/life balance with challenging and exciting projects

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at HealthEdge Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong management team and very impressive co-workers, who work smart and hard
    Autonomous working environment with good work/life scheduling flexibility
    An abundance of challenging and interesting projects
    Excellent health insurance plan

Cons

Most departments are a little too lean, causing delays in forward progress
    Extremely limited admin support, limited opportunities to delegate low level tasks

Remain vigilant on increasing business at existing customers and upgrading the core product

Going down hill fast

Current Employee - Vice President/Practice Director in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Vice President/Practice Director in Providence, RI

I have been working at HealthEdge Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some good people there working under really horrible conditions. Top Management skills are missing. The COO was just replaced and has been given a chair next to the door. The Board is made up of venture capital firms to whom money is owed. Stock options are worthless. They have not made a solid sale in 18 months. The Board is extremely nervous. The positive aspect about the software is also its weakness. Flexible business rules which results in over complex configurations which do not work. The technical direction folks are completely clueless about HIPAA compliance, EDI and ETL technologies.

Cons

In April 2014, of 250 current employees - 70 were let go. Those not let go, have been leaving on their own. The company is waiting for the magic unicorn (large sale to a BCBS chapter) to save them. Not realizing that this would be the equivalent of catching a 1000 lb tuna in a row boat.

The board should replace the whole lot of you. Give up the pretense of having any management capabilities never mind top mgmt capabilities. I would wish the remaining good people well but their best bet is to leave now.

Management gives lip service to compliance efforts but doesn't follow through

I worked at HealthEdge Software full-time

Pros

A lot of great people who want to do the right thing

Cons

Upper Management lives in la, la, land. They have no grasp of what it really takes to be HIPAA compliant. Nor do they understand what it takes to move from a small company mentality to a growing large company. They think everything is a paper exercise. They continuously give forward looking statements that they know will never come to fruition.

Employees are constantly putting out fires. There is no leadership and no direction from the top. The CEO lives in a glass tower and no one dares to cross him.

Really do what you say you are doing no and what you say you are going to do in the future. Stop giving lip service to compliance and actually take the time to educate yourselves on what it really takes to be compliant, which includes people, processes and technology, then do what it takes to get it done. Learn what think, plan, do means and actually do it.

Product

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at HealthEdge Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some great people interesting rules engine They are eager for java programmers

Cons

Very tense atmosphere. Women have different work but men get promoted. I am filling with MCAD. Not a place for women. Product has only been in production 1 1/2 years and many bugs are popping up. They do not seem to value industry knowledge. It is engineering driven, build first, spec later.

Everyone knows you are leaving as soon as you can win a big sale and can go public. This is resented every time staff is reminded.

Great company, Great product, fast paced environment, opportunities for employee growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at HealthEdge Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Exciting times, plenty of growth in the market, great people to work with. I've been with company for almost a year and really enjoy working here.

Cons

Fast paced, I like that in a company (was in Health Care prior, and day to day became stagnant), however not everyone likes fast pace or change. Not a good fit for someone who does not conform to change well.

The challenges of any startup but with a good team and a great product.

Current Employee - Professional Services
    Current Employee - Professional Services

I have been working at HealthEdge Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- A growing company with a solid core product
    - Professional services team management is improving the culture and level of support
    - Generally bright, motivated, and engaged peers

Cons

As with any startup
    - much of the information about the product, the company, procedures and best practices is not well documented so learning as a new-hire is difficult
    - roles and responsibilities and procedures are in flux so sometimes it's hard to know who to talk to

Mostly continue efforts already underway, like
    - improve support (documents, procedures, tools) for professional services staff
    - move from 'someone knows the answer' to 'the answer is available here'
    - more frequent contact between remote employees and the home office

Strong Management Team, Great Product and Passionate Colleagues!

I have been working at HealthEdge Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

• One of the strongest C-level teams I've ever worked for - they really operate as a team and have been very successful bringing in some exceptional new management talent to join the ranks.

• The company has developed a very strong product, one that everyone at HealthEdge genuinely appears to be excited about growing & supporting, across all levels of the organization.

• With a great product and all-star team behind it comes growth - and HealthEdge is certainly growing! It's an exciting time to be a part of the the team here - we have a rapidly growing customer base, a lot of new faces and talent, and a ton of opportunity.

• Despite our quickly growing team, Sr. Management appears to be working diligently at maintaining the "family" type of atmosphere in the office. I definitely see a concerted effort to recognize hard work and contributions - and amazingly, even with our growth, our Sr. Management folks have remained connected and in-tune with day-to-day operations.

• Management is very supportive of investing in the tools & technology needed internally to help our teams be more effective and productive - it's great to have that kind of support from each corner to help us collaborate in the ways we need to.

Cons

• Growth, especially at the rapid rate we are experiencing, can be challenging. It means we need to adapt quickly to growing employee support needs and it means that we need to become more effective communicators internally. Most folks seem to recognize and appreciate these things though, which makes rolling with the punches much easier. It also helps to have colleagues that you trust and can laugh with.

• With so many new faces, some regular, informal company-sponsored social activities could help with on-boarding and relationship building between teams.

Keep up the momentum building! You have all of the ingredients needed to take HealthEdge to the next level - continue to invest in our product and our team here. Folks genuinely appreciate knowing that you are aware of and appreciate our hard work - we'll continue to work hard for you if we know you are there to support us!

Exciting, Demanding, Complex, but Fun

Current Employee - Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at HealthEdge Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is leading its market
    Enterprise Software that is exciting to work on.
    Some kind of new partnership with Optum that seems to be adding to growth
    Management team seems to know what their doing
    Company has been more than fair to me. (Unscheduled raise and bonus in year one)

Cons

Office space is very tight but we are supposed to move to new HQ soon. Need more info.
    Infrequent company wide meetings.
    Management was frugal during start up phase. Now that company is growing they need to relax a little. No coffee provided for example. I bring my own K-Cups but why?

Get serious about regular company meetings. Share the strategy and the good news more often.
    Make the environment more relaxed. The recent MVP thing was a good idea.
    Rumors about benefit changes due to merger. What will this mean?

The Health Insurance Software a Dot Com Like Ride!

I have been working at HealthEdge Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- High Salaries
    - Agile Shop
    - Nice people to work with
    - Good road warrior support

Cons

- Poor benefits: No matching 401K
    - Very little work - life balance (50 - 60 hrs/week)
    - Can be called to any client site in the US at a moments notice
    - Egotistic Upper Management
    - If you don't have a strong background in health insurance operations - Forget this place

You have a slash of cultures. HealthEdge is an Agile software shop and all their clients are medium to large anal health insurance companies. Don't shove Agile down their throats. Also, hire more SMEs & Tech Leads. To many PMs & PDs. There are only a handful of people with more the 3 years experience at the company.

HealthEdge Software Photos