HealthMarkets Reviews

73 reviews filtered by
3.9
HealthMarkets President and CEO Kenneth J. (Ken) Fasola
Kenneth J. (Ken) Fasola

Pros
  • Provides good work life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Best lead program in the industry and cutting edge technology which will make your job easier and be able to close more clients (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Granted their business model is in MAJOR flux and their product/service has a multi-level marketing aspect (in 3 reviews)

• Poor communication from upper management (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Incredible Opportunity!

Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Through all of the twists and turns of the Affordable Care Act and the changing rules of the game... HealthMarkets continues to know that the key to their success is the agent on the street! We are stock holders and corporate continues to bend over backward to put the tools and opportunities in your hands to help the agent succeed. I have heard horror stories about other insurance agencies and have been impressed by the incredible culture at HealthMarkets. How can you not succeed when the mission is to help your client obtain the best & most cost effective insurance to protect their families and businesses. As independent brokers, we are appointed to sell nearly every product available in the market place.

Cons

It can be a little overwhelming to take on the appointment with so many carriers and products. I would recommend focusing on one part of the business the first year and then add other products to your tool belt as you become more confident. Ex: Focus on the under 65 health insurance the first year and then add Medicare the 2nd year. The national marketing efforts are very effective and the number of leads that come your way can be almost overwhelming. You need to take on what you can handle and follow through on those.

I have had nothing but the best experience with great sales leaders and territorial vice presidents. Great values and motivated in a very positive way to help you succeed.

2. Great Opportunity!

Current Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent in Springfield, IL
    Current Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent in Springfield, IL

I have been working at HealthMarkets as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

HealthMarkets in leading the industry with their business model. They provide every agent with the tools, technology and support needed to succeed in a constantly evolving industry.

Cons

It is not the right fit for everyone.

Continue to support those around you.

3. This company has a great business structure in the health and Medicare line of insurance.

Current Contractor - Insurance Advisor in Jackson, MS
    Current Contractor - Insurance Advisor in Jackson, MS

I have been working at HealthMarkets as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have the ability to work independently to reach our goals. We also have a weekly team meeting to go over updates and changes in the market place. I really enjoy working with a team on independent agents and having a business manager available if we need help. Also, a majority of our business is written over the phone.

Cons

Just like any other business, the only bad part of this line of work is the no-shows if you are meeting with someone face-to-face.

We have companies that we can write business through. We need a few more options on the Medicare supplements business.

5. good company, great trainers and training

Former Employee - Licensed Sales Producer
    Former Employee - Licensed Sales Producer

I worked at HealthMarkets

Pros

fair compensation, relatively low stress.

Cons

benefits are okay, not as comprehensive as other companies

Offering a work from option would be great. This work could easily be done from a home office

6. On a island left to figure it out on my own

I have been working at HealthMarkets

Pros

work/life balance, and being able to help people

Cons

lack of direction and training from leadership

more training, and more hands on

Working with this company as an independent contractor is exactly the way it should be.

Current Employee - Broker in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Broker in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at HealthMarkets

Pros

You are provided with all the tools to be as successful as you are capable of . The opportunity to earn a good living is like low hanging fruit, but you have to make the personal investment of time and effort to cultivate your business. Technology is amazing, making the job smooth and efficient. National advertising is very professional, leading the company to building a brand in Health Markets. Now is a great time to be on board.

Cons

If you are asssigned to a team whose leader is egocentric it creates an unneccessary challenge. Be sure stay away from a short guy with a bald head.

Keep up the great work!

8. Some training but...,.,

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Hartford, CT

I have been working at HealthMarkets

Pros

Meetings (very few) to help train you. Even with a license hard to find prospects. Agencies everywhere tons of agents.

Cons

Want $250.00 for a leads list.

Provide lists with actual fresh leads as a start. Everyone I called had insurance or wasn't interested. At least one short FRESH leads list would be an incentive. (A free list)

Great experience

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in San Diego, CA

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (less than a year)

Pros

compensation and training is amazing! The resources and leads are really good and benefits are outstanding.

Cons

I don't really have any cons here except the micro management and Quality Assurance audits that are done weekly.

Bit by a venomous snake - Lies, deception and shady business practices.

Former Contractor - Insurance Agent
    Former Contractor - Insurance Agent

I worked at HealthMarkets as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

It appeared to be a work at home 1099 independent contractor position.

Cons

Where to start ... Agents are encouraged to lease their own storefronts and pay 100% or operating costs with no help from the company. The company (at least the South Florida Office) treats contractors like employees, and terminates contracts for ANY insubordination. Which is understandable to a degree, however, when agents are contractors and being treated as employees (for example, management uses words such as you're expected to be at all Friday meetings, not required and terminates agents for not being there) who lose 100% of their hard earned business when they are terminated, left with debt and a storefront, it's not good.

There are hidden fees you won't know about until you see them on your report, if you're good enough at crunching numbers to figure it out. Additionally, if you call the corporate office, you may have management threaten to terminate your contract. If you're averse to stress, avoid that place like the bubonic plague.

Start being honest about the fees you charge your contractors. For example, don't avoid questions about what the commission statement actually is. If you don't know what it is, how on Earth did you get promoted to manager? Honesty if a great building block. It would help to practice it.

11. Stay away from this company!!!!!

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time

Pros

I found out about the company before I wasted more money or time

Cons

1. Company are sharks. More concern for making money then caring about customer
    2. Having to wait to get appointed with companies but forced to sell anyway
    3. Not getting paid for the sales
    4. Waiting a year to get paid on health insurance
    5. Being charged for the mandatory weekly conference call.
    6. Being told that we are independent but forced to go to meetings that take up alot of time.
    7. Being forced to sell Suppliments that don't offer so much to the customer but week bring big bucks to the agent
    8. Paying for leads
    9. Calling on the leads I paid for to find out that those leads had all agents calling the same customer
    10. Cares more about bragging about the big sales instead of who they were able to help.

If you hire someone, get all their appointment paperwork done so the agent can get paid for their hard work.