HealthMarkets Reviews

1. Featured Review

Incredible Opportunity!

Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Through all of the twists and turns of the Affordable Care Act and the changing rules of the game... HealthMarkets continues to know that the key to their success is the agent on the street! We are stock holders and corporate continues to bend over backward to put the tools and opportunities in your hands to help the agent succeed. I have heard horror stories about other insurance agencies and have been impressed by the incredible culture at HealthMarkets. How can you not succeed when the mission is to help your client obtain the best & most cost effective insurance to protect their families and businesses. As independent brokers, we are appointed to sell nearly every product available in the market place.

Cons

It can be a little overwhelming to take on the appointment with so many carriers and products. I would recommend focusing on one part of the business the first year and then add other products to your tool belt as you become more confident. Ex: Focus on the under 65 health insurance the first year and then add Medicare the 2nd year. The national marketing efforts are very effective and the number of leads that come your way can be almost overwhelming. You need to take on what you can handle and follow through on those.

Advice to Management

I have had nothing but the best experience with great sales leaders and territorial vice presidents. Great values and motivated in a very positive way to help you succeed.

2. Sales Leader

Current Employee - Sales Leader/Agent in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Leader/Agent in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at HealthMarkets (More than 5 years)

Pros

Represent over 180 of the Nation's top Insurance companies. I get to be self-employed, yet have support of a brand that has over 3,000 agents. Training was awesome, and weekly meetings keep me on the top of new changes in the industry. I have worked here for over 6 years, and have made more income every single year than what I had ever achieved before. The company spends millions on advertising which gets all of us agents tons of appointments from people calling in from the commercials. The technology makes it very easy for me to keep up with my book of business.

Cons

Can not think of any cons. Best job I've ever had. I get to work my own schedule, and provide for my family better than I ever was able to in the past.

Advice to Management

Our management staff, from corporate on down to each satellite office is all in unison. They make moves to set us agents up for success. My advice for management would be to keep doing what they're doing.

3. Sales Leader

Current Employee - Sales Leader in North Liberty, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in North Liberty, IA

I have been working at HealthMarkets

Pros

You get out what you put in and then some! If you work 40 hours, you'll do well. If you work 50 hours, you do exponentially better! This is a great career decision if you are willing to work for yourself (but not by yourself). The training has streamlined so a new agent can get up and running quicker than ever before. This is a great company to be a part of!

Cons

You have to go to work. (sarcasm) Nothing is easy that is worth it, go to work and there are no cons.

5. Love this Company!

Current Employee - Agent in North Liberty, IA
    Current Employee - Agent in North Liberty, IA

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make your own schedule around your life No limit on amount of income you can bring in Fantastic training program available to new and veteran agents Work with a variety of carriers

Cons

100% Commission based (Don't Work, Don't get paid)

Advice to Management

Keep improving the training program and bonuses

6. Nice place to work

Current Employee - Assistant
    Current Employee - Assistant

I have been working at HealthMarkets

Pros

My boss is kind and helpful. A lot to learn in organization.

Cons

The hour is not enough.

7. Independent Agent

Former Employee - Independent Life and Health Agent in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Independent Life and Health Agent in San Diego, CA

I worked at HealthMarkets (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful environment and leadership team. Very effective training program ensuring success at every step. The leadership team provides continuous education and work with agents at all times.

Cons

No downside. The leadership has a very effective team building program.

8. Great company to work for

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time

Pros

Healthmarkets brings the very best talent and carriers to the insurance industry,. As a contracted agent, you are given the very best opportunity to suceed and will be well trainined in all product lines

Cons

The position is all commision and the carriers are sometimes slow in paying all commission earned.

Advice to Management

In order to protect the agents, management needs to do a better job in expressing to the carriers the frustration that the agents have in not getting paid in a timely manner.

9. Territory VP

Current Employee - Tvp in North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Tvp in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at HealthMarkets

Pros

Health Markets is at the forefront of a changing landscape called Health Care Reform. The training platform and support are phenomenal. The coaching and mentoring are top notch. You have the ability to EARN what you are worth! (What your consistent work ethic allows) Lastly, the lead platform allows you to get in front of A LOT of qualified buyers. I am seeing agents building a book of business in one year...that it used to take 3 or 4 years in the past. I talk to agents that were not with HM and Those NOT PARTNERED with Health Markets are not able to build a business anywhere near as fast unless they are willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get there.

Cons

You need to work and maintain a positive attitude as you are dealing with HCR and many bureaucracies in Health Care today that have been created. These challenges are what are causing the massive opportunities for those that listen to their training and are willing to help their clients diversify their risk.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the Health Markets lead in the industry!

10. Amazing Opportunity!!

Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Making my own hours and getting paid what I think I'm worth! Sounds like a dream, but it's real. I can't think of a better place to be. By far, the training is #1! It's ongoing, and we get access to industry experts. We have the opportunity to open a store in our community and be active members in it. Nothing compares to waking up and knowing that I can help people build a wall of protection for their health and income, and make a great living at it!

Cons

Managing my time has never been more challenging then working here. I have to punch my own time clock, but it is well worth having to over come the desire to sleep in, or work from home, in order to advance in my career.

Advice to Management

With how busy we all can be during the open enrollment season, I know it can be hard to stay visible in front of the team. The only suggestion that I could give is to find a way to stay in contact and in front of us during these busy times.

Excellent Training

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time

Pros

I came to HealthMarkets with my license, but no training. I feel like I was really set up for success by the in house training program! There is also a large amount of carriers represented, so you can really find the best options for your clients.

Cons

You have to be cut out for sales to work on commission only, but there are a lot of bonus and incentive opportunities that really help balance that out.

Advice to Management

Being more transparent, as far as start up projection would have been helpful. The training is excellent, but I should have been financially prepared for starting my own business.

RSS Feed </> Embed