HealthSmart

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.7

Daniel D. Crowley

I enjoyed working for HealthSmart.

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Irving, TX

I worked at HealthSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about working for HealthSmart is the benefits, co-workers, and management.

Cons

The biggest challenge was the lack of having a training program.

Keep up the good work!

This is the worst place I have ever worked in my career of almost 30 years as a nurse!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at HealthSmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay starts right away, you are eligible for health insurance w/in 30 days of employment.

Cons

This company does not value it's employees. They do not invest in any training or retention of employees. The place is run like a military state where every breath you take is watched and evaluated. The place is run in total chaos with the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. Due to their inability to retain staff, employees are always "new" and not trained giving out misinformation to customers and making other department's jobs more difficult. In the three short months I was there, 8 registered nurses left out of a department with only 10-12 nurses to begin with. One of them was our manager who had been hired 5 weeks before I started. They don't care to train you, but care that the capris you are wearing are 1/2 " too short per dress code. Worst nightmare of my life. Compensation is low for area.

Look at the big picture and get your priorities straight. If you don't train and retain your employees it is going to cost you a lot of money and you are going to provide terrible service to the consumer. You need a major housecleaning in upper management. That is where all the negativity is coming from.

This is a company that wants to grow into many sectors but does not want to compensate the people who are doing the work

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster

I worked at HealthSmart full-time

Pros

I found no pros with the company.

Cons

There is no contribution to a 401K. Dental and health insurance premiums are very expensive. As well as a lot of out of pocket expense from a high deductible. Senior management is not involved with daily functions to make the work place flow better. Basically the employees doing the work are not considered and the company is wanting to grow but seems to only care about that and not the people behind the company doing the work.

Given the type of company this is, the company should reconsider the benefits it offers it's employees. One would think since that is what you specialize in that you would offer great benefits to your employees as well as a contributing 401K.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Patience is key

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Englewood, CO

I worked at HealthSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

A very understanding company to work for. Base pay is competitive.

Cons

Commission structure is off. Lots of management changes and areas are spread all over the US. Do not pay out vacation time at end of employment.

Petty Good

I have been working at HealthSmart

Pros

They are good at moving the right people into jobs where they think their employees will be a good fit.

18 vacation/personal days per year.

They reward innovation.

Rapid growth and easy to change jobs to any of the companies many locations nationwide.

Cons

Punishing criticism of people moved into the wrong job.

If you work for HS, don't take a salary position. They encourage their salaried emps to skip lunch and eat at their desks - while docking pay for taking time off.

For a health insurance company, terrible and expensive benefits (unless you're a diabetic enrolled in Disease Management). You'd do better to buy from the Marketplace.

Slow down the acquisitions. It's difficult for the ship to steer while bulging at the sides.

Win Some, Lose Some

Current Employee - Operations Administrator  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Administrator in Englewood, CO

I have been working at HealthSmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, laid-back atmosphere, results-driven promotions: if you're willing to demonstrate numbers/productivity, professionalism is rewarded with stability and opportunities.

Cons

Organized like a plate of spaghetti: numerous acquisitions, high management/client turn-over and unclear 'department' goals without definitive training. While the health insurance/benefits packages for this Third Party Administrator are probably "par for the course," they are expensive and rather limited.

The company all but invents Health Insurance and its inner workings, Healthsmart could set a gold standard for taking care of the employees that know better.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at HealthSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company is small enough to change direction somewhat easily, being available to tailor solutions for clients.

Cons

Senior management communication has been an ongoing problem, called out consistently in employee reviews. This makes it difficult to keep up with changes made corporately, but not shared timely in the field. Company seems to do a lot on the "fly" and not everyone is consistently on the same page. Makes for appearance of chaos and below par leadership. Company appears to be also prepped for future sale by equity firm that owns it. Makes it difficult to get money for things needed to help improve & service customers (internal & external) because HS is actively buying companies, but is slow to get new acquisitions integrated. Makes for a fragmented organization and a lot of competing priorities that probably should not all be priorities because they do not get the consistent attention necessary to optimize one's success.

Don't be afraid to talk about what's not working. There was the appearance that Executive Management only shared what was positive instead of having frank peer discussions about some of the problems across the enterprise. Get your real priorities straight. Hearing something is a priority and not getting the comprehensive support to make it happen makes it NOT a priority.

Very Disorganized!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at HealthSmart

Pros

They have a free clinc downs stairs which is a good benefit, PTO is pretty good 4 weeks given for first yr, Pay is decent, Lunch is provided to us every now and then.

Cons

Lack of organization as a whole, Constantly being pulled aways to complete other RUSH tasks , nothing stays the same!! answers to previously asked questions change daily. Training is TERRIBLE, Given "crash" training in 3 days and then youre own your own. Dont ask questions or you will be told, "refer to your notes" Manager is incompotent, rude, disrepectful, unproffesional. The VP and President of my area very nice though they are unaware of how this particular manager treats her team. Company has recently laid off and have still continues to hire in orther areas which I dont understand. Everyone ther is fairly new and has been there less than a yr...with makes me wonder....Medical benefits are that great although the free clinic makes up a little for that. Overall all it can be a stressful enviroment if working for this particular manager. I have heard that in other areas within the dept that it can be a bit stressful to. A few people have quit because of this and how they have been treated. I wont be surprised if more do!

Take the time to listen to your employee!! Dont make one feel inferior because they asked a question. Just because you are stressed does not mean you should disrespect your employee. Also, be more consistant with infomation given.

Ok so far, I have hope for better days ahead

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at HealthSmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

forward thinking
    focus on good business
    promotes good health

Cons

still a bit of 'good ole boy' network going on
    low pay, but getting better

Don't forget about the small areas and sub-divisions, they are the grease that keeps all the bigger parts moving.

Worked for HealthSmart? Contribute to the Community!