HealthSpring

www.healthspring.com

HealthSpring Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Herb Fritch

Pros
  • They are very flexible on working from home (in 4 reviews)

• Cigna seems to be a solid company with decent benefits and good pay (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • More corporate atmosphere since Cigna purchase (in 3 reviews)

• Most of middle management were inept and even though upper management aware little was done (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

No advancement opportunities. The pay isn't market comparable for some roles. Very top heavy.

Senior Care Assistant (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsMost mgrs are flexible and understanding, while there are a few who micro-manage. Very laid back enivorment.

Conspoor internal opportunities for advancement, they trap you in a career band which limit financial growth. Upper management is petty, when it comes to sharing information pertaining to your job performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay, everyone does not need to be micro-managed. Prasie and thank you staff for a job well done freq.

Lack of communication, unorganized

Anonymous (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsWork from home; time-off is okay; Tuition Reimbursement is nice.

ConsNo positive feedback. Never have team meetings and sometimes go several months not seeing a single person from the office. No direction or organization. Sometimes they ask for 20 hrs of overtime each week.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more effectively. Get appropriate training on new systems instead of acting like you know things, when you really don't.

No complaints!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsCompensation is average, benefits are great (401k match, insurances, vacation time, perks and discounts). Options to work from home occasionally are wonderful.
    We have a calendar of FUN external activities for employees to attend to get to know each other (which is great for an almost 400 person department). There is a mentoring program for those who wish to participate, and our department supports local philanthropy efforts. There are fitness classes on campus after hours for employees.
    The CIO actually knows more people than just his direct reports and makes an effort to get to know employees. HS takes interest in career development. It may differ by manager, but my manager takes the time to find out what my career goals are and helps me develop them. They encourage training, seminars and continuing education. They even have tuition reimbursement!

ConsHS's transition into Cigna is still ongoing and the systems don't interact which makes everything from calendar management, to travel, to video conferencing a challenge.
    There aren't really standardized procedures for most things which makes learning as a new employee difficult. If you don't mind just learning as you go then it's fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know time is precious for the VP's, but try to be more involved with employees who aren't your direct reports.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The company has many opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsHealthSpring has been continuously been focused on their customers to provide the best level of service. They also balance this focus with challenging their employees to be great. They provide excellent tools for career growth and all the management levels continuously encourage you to provide feedback for their work. The evaluations are intense but this is something that has been great for me because I love to know how I can improve rather than no feedback. I enjoy the challenge from the industry as well as the individual challenge to improve.

ConsDuring peak seasons, their can be difficulties with managing work loads.

Company overall is a good company to work for. But, you have to watch out for the supervisors of your department.

Care Associate (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsYour yearly salary is very good.

ConsYour direct supervisors does not listen to your concerns and does not help with questions. They expect you to do the work with no assistance.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider getting to know the supervisors you hire. They are not there to help your employees and will write you up really quit if you go beyond them.

I love my job

App Dev Manager (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsHealthspring offers great pay, good benefits, and massive amounts of paid time off. There is flexibility on working from home. Each day typically offers an exciting challenge.

ConsMore corporate atmosphere since Cigna purchase. Several stupid rules and policies that were handed down from Cigna. High turnover in the past

A very good, productive experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJob flexibility to work at the office and/or from home.

ConsSome of the clients were a little difficult, at times, to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge your staff more and honestly look at the big picture and the little people.

not worth the politics

Lowly Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompensation/benefits/bonus were excellent (prior to Cigna buy-out)
    Had the experience to work with 2 very knowledgeable managers (unfortunately neither were my direct managers)

ConsMost of middle management were inept and even though upper management aware little was done. As others have stated, unless you are/were a "favorite" advancement was not an option. Promotions not given on basis of job performance but on ability to be a "yes" man/woman or length of your employment.(which does not put the most qualified people in appropriate positions)
    First experience in working with an actual "Bully" Reported to HR by numerous coworkers and providers/staff, and they are still employed with company

Different

IT Business Analysis Specialist (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsLearn about Medicare Advantage and working together in teams to meet the same objective. They are really involved in the community. It is wonderful to see they are willing to take care of their members and keep claim cost down.

ConsLack of management support and decision follow through. Most of the staff is scared to share information due to the Cigna take over. The business units are too spread out and do not interact as much as they should. Training is lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions and support your staff

Excellent benefits, average technology, poor politics

IT (Former Employee)

ProsEven at the lowest bands there is a lot more vacation time than most places and the medical/dental/vision benefits are low cost yet solid. They are very flexible on working from home. Some groups will work with different technologies like SSIS and SSRS, which are not typical for a developer, while other groups will do different design patterns like the latest version of MVC and newer JavaScript libraries.

ConsThe favoritism and politics, echoed as concerns by many other reviewers, seriously call into question whether promotions, advancement, and/or bonuses are based on the merits of one's performance or simply based on whether one is "liked" by "the right people." Not only was there a lot of turnover but there were also a lot of folks (contractors especially) who were simply terminated and in a lot of cases because they didn't "click with the clique." Career opportunities and culture is excellent so long as you are in the "in crowd," else you will not see your responsibilities change that much or have your opinion count that much.

Advice to Senior ManagementCigna needs to step in more and get rid of the "good ole' boys club" and evaluate them and everyone else based on performance as opposed to political standing. Otherwise, there will be a revolving door with only "the clique" staying.

Worked for HealthSpring? Contribute to the Community!