HealthSpring Reviews

Updated August 7, 2014
Updated August 7, 2014

2.9

Herb Fritch

Pros
  • They are very flexible on working from home (in 4 reviews)

• Cigna seems to be a solid company with decent benefits and good pay (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • More corporate atmosphere since Cigna purchase (in 3 reviews)

• Most of middle management were inept and even though upper management aware little was done (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved my job for 2 years. After Cigna buyout, not so much

Current Employee - Senior Appeals Associate  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Appeals Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthSpring full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, Okay benefits. Nice coffee machines. Comfortable work area.

Cons

Little to no merit increases since Cigna took over. You have to be perfect to get any merit increases or be very well liked by management. If you're not part of the "clique" you'll be treated like an outsider. If you're not a favorite they well hover over your work and wait for every little mistake to harass you about. Management tells you to ask questions, but when you do, they give you attitude and make you feel stupid. Several people have left my department (Part D appeals) because of it. I've witnessed several managers, team leads, and supervisors make rude and offensive comments about other employees in my department.

Start treating non-management like you would want to be treat.

No advancement opportunities. The pay isn't market comparable for some roles. Very top heavy.

Current Employee - Senior Care Assistant  in  Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Care Assistant in Phila, PA

I have been working at HealthSpring full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most mgrs are flexible and understanding, while there are a few who micro-manage. Very laid back enivorment.

Cons

poor internal opportunities for advancement, they trap you in a career band which limit financial growth. Upper management is petty, when it comes to sharing information pertaining to your job performance.

Better pay, everyone does not need to be micro-managed. Prasie and thank you staff for a job well done freq.

Lack of communication, unorganized

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthSpring full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work from home; time-off is okay; Tuition Reimbursement is nice.

Cons

No positive feedback. Never have team meetings and sometimes go several months not seeing a single person from the office. No direction or organization. Sometimes they ask for 20 hrs of overtime each week.

Communicate more effectively. Get appropriate training on new systems instead of acting like you know things, when you really don't.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No complaints!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthSpring full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation is average, benefits are great (401k match, insurances, vacation time, perks and discounts). Options to work from home occasionally are wonderful.
    We have a calendar of FUN external activities for employees to attend to get to know each other (which is great for an almost 400 person department). There is a mentoring program for those who wish to participate, and our department supports local philanthropy efforts. There are fitness classes on campus after hours for employees.
    The CIO actually knows more people than just his direct reports and makes an effort to get to know employees. HS takes interest in career development. It may differ by manager, but my manager takes the time to find out what my career goals are and helps me develop them. They encourage training, seminars and continuing education. They even have tuition reimbursement!

Cons

HS's transition into Cigna is still ongoing and the systems don't interact which makes everything from calendar management, to travel, to video conferencing a challenge.
    There aren't really standardized procedures for most things which makes learning as a new employee difficult. If you don't mind just learning as you go then it's fine.

I know time is precious for the VP's, but try to be more involved with employees who aren't your direct reports.

The company has many opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthSpring full-time

Pros

HealthSpring has been continuously been focused on their customers to provide the best level of service. They also balance this focus with challenging their employees to be great. They provide excellent tools for career growth and all the management levels continuously encourage you to provide feedback for their work. The evaluations are intense but this is something that has been great for me because I love to know how I can improve rather than no feedback. I enjoy the challenge from the industry as well as the individual challenge to improve.

Cons

During peak seasons, their can be difficulties with managing work loads.

Company overall is a good company to work for. But, you have to watch out for the supervisors of your department.

Current Employee - Care Associate  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Care Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthSpring full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Your yearly salary is very good.

Cons

Your direct supervisors does not listen to your concerns and does not help with questions. They expect you to do the work with no assistance.

Consider getting to know the supervisors you hire. They are not there to help your employees and will write you up really quit if you go beyond them.

I love my job

Current Employee - App Dev Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - App Dev Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthSpring full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Healthspring offers great pay, good benefits, and massive amounts of paid time off. There is flexibility on working from home. Each day typically offers an exciting challenge.

Cons

More corporate atmosphere since Cigna purchase. Several stupid rules and policies that were handed down from Cigna. High turnover in the past

A very good, productive experience.

I worked at HealthSpring full-time for more than a year

Pros

Job flexibility to work at the office and/or from home.

Cons

Some of the clients were a little difficult, at times, to deal with.

Acknowledge your staff more and honestly look at the big picture and the little people.

not worth the politics

Former Employee - Lowly Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Lowly Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at HealthSpring full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation/benefits/bonus were excellent (prior to Cigna buy-out)
    Had the experience to work with 2 very knowledgeable managers (unfortunately neither were my direct managers)

Cons

Most of middle management were inept and even though upper management aware little was done. As others have stated, unless you are/were a "favorite" advancement was not an option. Promotions not given on basis of job performance but on ability to be a "yes" man/woman or length of your employment.(which does not put the most qualified people in appropriate positions)
    First experience in working with an actual "Bully" Reported to HR by numerous coworkers and providers/staff, and they are still employed with company

Different

Former Employee - IT Business Analysis Specialist  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - IT Business Analysis Specialist in Nashville, TN

I worked at HealthSpring full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn about Medicare Advantage and working together in teams to meet the same objective. They are really involved in the community. It is wonderful to see they are willing to take care of their members and keep claim cost down.

Cons

Lack of management support and decision follow through. Most of the staff is scared to share information due to the Cigna take over. The business units are too spread out and do not interact as much as they should. Training is lacking.

Make decisions and support your staff

Worked for HealthSpring? Contribute to the Community!