HealthStream

HealthStream Reviews in Laurel, MD

Updated July 19, 2014
Updated July 19, 2014

2.5

HealthStream Chairman, President, and CEO Robert A. Frist Jr.
Robert A. Frist Jr.

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

very strict

Former Employee - Interviewer  in  Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Laurel, MD

Pros

easy job
    no real pressure or quotas

Cons

very very boring
    supervisors are jerks
    company is inefficient

treat employees better and with more freedom

Ideals did not match actions

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Analyst in Laurel, MD

Pros

The group I worked with was a very strong team that trusted individuals to take responsibility but would pitch in where needed.

Cons

Despite talk of growth potential, there was absolutely no opportunity. Operations were segmented so there was no natural progression of sills or responsibility. I knew very few people who ever changed positions, even after years of working there. Beyond that,, salary was absurdly low, not just on the low end of the market, but probably 25% lower than the bottom of the market range

HSTM does not value its employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Pros

If you’re a glass-half-full person, you could say that job security was a huge pro. There was so much work to be done in my department that I knew I never had to worry about it running out. Of course, glass-half-empty, that means I was consistently overworked and execs seemed to have no concern about appropriate staffing.

Cons

Where to begin? See above: the amount of work I was doing was ridiculous. Our department's workload more than doubled over the last 3 years, but in that time, we only hired one additional person. When I gave my notice and my boss asked me why I was leaving, he was surprised that I said I was overworked. With his next breath, he asked if I would come in evenings after working a full day at my new job to help them stay caught up. Um, no thanks!

Benefits and pay were horrible. All we would hear from the execs was how great the company was doing and how much money we were making. This money was not re-invested in the employees. At my interview for my new job, the people interviewing me laughed when I gave them a ballpark # for what I was making at HSTM. I once offered a job to a guy who turned it down because he was going to make more money at the PEACE CORPS. Think about that one! No matching 401K and no tuition reimbursement. I'm already getting more time off at my new job than I did after 7 years at HSTM. (And I was earning the absolute maximum at HSTM.)

Communication was absolutely pathetic. Execs were seemingly incapable of understanding how important it is to tell people what is going on. I was amazed at how little I was told as manager. I would find out second- or third-hand about decisions that directly affected my department.

Unfair treatment: Some "leaders" got to work from home and work some interesting hours (like rolling in at 10 and leaving at 3). Doesn’t exactly make you feel engaged and motivated to work hard.

Our job was market research, with one of the main branches of that being employee satisfaction. The last internal employee survey we did was 3 years ago and we never got the results. It was like the company hoped we would all get collective amnesia. Considering that the year before, when they actually did let us know the results, they did nothing to solve any of the issues that were presented, I guess they figured it would be easier to just pretend the survey never happened.

There is no career development. I was never offered any management training and when you combine that with having supervisors who are totally disconnected, it means I was on my own.

The last year or so I was there, it was all about quantity, not quality. Let's sell, sell, sell and not worry about whether or not you have the resources to deliver what was promised. And make sure everyone is focused on arbitrary deadlines, and not on delivering a quality product to clients.

Over the last 2 years or so, many long-time, valuable employees have left. This is not a coincidence. If you do not begin to value your employees by paying them more, providing better benefits, and staffing appropriately so that people are not completely stressed out, this "brain drain" is only going to get worse.

Learn how to communicate effectively. Understand that it is better to be open and honest, even about negative things, than to let rumors fester.

Stop writing fake Glass Door reviews. (Either the Feb. 28 review was written by a PR person or it's a parody.)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the best place to work

Former Employee - Interviewer  in  Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Laurel, MD

Pros

The environment is quiet and the work load is not heavy. You get your own desk and a semi-comfortable break room.

Cons

Supervisors have preferences when it comes to employees. Although everyone has their own desk, privacy is not enforced well. Awards are chosen randomly, and the people that do a good job but aren't well known with the supervisors do not get recognized.

More flexible scheduling, enforce respect for privacy and personal belongings, bigger break area, more opportunity to get recognized for a job well done.

Worked for HealthStream? Contribute to the Community!