HealthStream Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

2.5

HealthStream Chairman, President, and CEO Robert A. Frist Jr.
Robert A. Frist Jr.

Good Company Overall

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at HealthStream full-time

Pros

Good people who genuinely care about the company and their clients

Cons

Very slow implementing technology

This company has a lot of potential.
    The employees who actually do the work excel within their area of expertise.
    Many processes however have been poorly managed over time and need to be overhauled.

very strict

Former Employee - Interviewer  in  Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream part-time for more than a year

Pros

easy job
    no real pressure or quotas

Cons

very very boring
    supervisors are jerks
    company is inefficient

treat employees better and with more freedom

Ideals did not match actions

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Analyst in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The group I worked with was a very strong team that trusted individuals to take responsibility but would pitch in where needed.

Cons

Despite talk of growth potential, there was absolutely no opportunity. Operations were segmented so there was no natural progression of sills or responsibility. I knew very few people who ever changed positions, even after years of working there. Beyond that,, salary was absurdly low, not just on the low end of the market, but probably 25% lower than the bottom of the market range

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work culture but poor employee development and poor benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work culture is great. This is a very supportive company.

Cons

The investment in their employees is the bare minimum. Just started a tiny match to the 401K this year, poor raises, expensive high deductible insurance, basic dental, no training budget whatsoever. It is weird because you are treated well in the here and now but managers and peers but the same company will not invest in their employees futures.

Give more equity (better bonus, stock, 401K match, training budget, etc) to your employees. Please stop saying "we are a start up" when you have been in business over 16 years.

Solid and worthwhile company-wide mission

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everything is connected to improving patient outcomes, so you'll feel good about your job. Nice employee recognition system.

Cons

Different locations, different cultures, Nashville best, Baltimore still good. Pay is not always competitive.

Solid company with kind, helpful co-workers

I have been working at HealthStream full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Employee-driven teams to enhance quality of life (professional and personal) for employees.
    * The company appears willing to invest in professional development of its employees
    * At about 500 employees, the company makes a good effort to make everyone feel included and create a sense of family.
    * Quarterly department goals rewarded with a bonus for each goal met offer a way for an employee to feel actively involved in improving the company's processes.

Cons

* There seems to be a definite cultural separation between executive leadership and the remainder of the staff. For example, the employee dress code is casual (jeans are permitted), but the executive team tends to dress on the high-end of business casual, which creates a feeling of "them" and "us", rather than a single "we."
    * The company is slow to invest in additional employee headcount, which can be taxing on existing staff
    * The company is adding new clients and resources are sometimes at maximum capacity, which sometimes makes it difficult to get answers if you need them quickly.
    * No 401(k) match or ESPP

Management is doing an overall great job managing a 500-employee company. While I respect the accomplishment and experience of executive management, it'd be nice to see them blend in more with the rest of the staff culturally. It would eventually be nice to see a matching 401(k) and some kind of stock purchase plan.

Good Culture

I have been working at HealthStream full-time

Pros

Positive Culture, Flexible, Growing Company

Cons

Benefits, 401k and Salaries sub par

Step up to keep and attract talent

House of Cards

Current Employee - Director  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Director in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream full-time

Pros

People are friendly and the building is cool. The company works hard to have employee engagement opportunities such as monthly birthday celebrations, holiday parties, employees committees - sports, events, lunch and learn, etc. However, it would be great if management would participate.

Cons

There is a general sense that the company is making good money so why change anything. This breeds a level of complacency in the company that rewards status quo and punishes benchmarking, incremental improvements, process reviews, or any other new ideas. The company currently survives by under-cutting pricing by selling access to its platform that is at least 5 years behind its competition and is not scaleable. Healthstream brags about holding a large percentage of the market space but the fact is that most of its sales are going to HCA-related (Frist) companies. More and more companies are leaving Healthstream for competitors because they have better functionality. This single-source strategy is not sustainable for the long-term. The CEO, Bobby Frist, is at best a part-time figure head. There is no clear leadership in the company and as a result, each member of senior management has his own agenda, non of which is aligned with the other. This disjointed management has resulted in very reactionary strategies in product development, sales, operations, marketing, finance, and IT that have cost the company millions in lost opportunities, wasted effort and lost talent (high turn-over). Unless their are significant changes made in the very near term, the ongoing viability of this company is questionable.

Make Bobby Frist the Chairman of the Board only and hire a full time qualified and motivated CEO who will then bring in a qualified senior management team that is non-remote who will welcome ideas from employees. Invest in your employees the way you want your customers to invest in their employees. Hire the most qualified people rather than your friends.

FANTASTIC place to work!!!!

I have been working at HealthStream full-time

Pros

HealthStream is a fantistic place to work! Without question, it is the best place I've been employed in my career. The culture is very entrepreneurial, hard-working, and, frankly, just a fun place to get up every morning and spend my day. Throughout the company, you'll find that there is an enormous amout of sincerity, integrity, and "good heartedness"--which is due, of course, to the great people that work at HealthStream. It's very unpretentious--which I love. Everyone works hard--but we also celebrate our successes and, yes, vacations, are encouraged. You should also know that a lot of smart people work at HealthStream--which keeps things stimulating.

Importantly, HealthStream is wildly successful--and that should be important for anyone looking for a job. HealthStream was just named as the 27th best small company in the U.S. by Forbes magazine!..and that's literally out of many thousands of public companies. The CEO is Bobby Frist and he is one smart guy! I don't know a single person here at HealthStream who doesn't have enormous respect for him. He's very passionate about making a difference in healthcare (I've heard people compare him to Steve Jobs--but, believe me, Bobby is much nicer and probably smarter). HealthStream has been the market leader in our space--ever since there has been a HealthStream. About 60% of U.S. hospitals use HealthStream--which is more than double anybody else in our space. As an employee, it been fun to be a part of such a huge success.

It has been my experience that if you work hard, you will be rewarded--and rewarded well. Personally, I'm not the kind of person who likes having someone looking over my shoulder constantly as I work (i.e. micro-managing me). Luckily, HealthStream is the kind of place that makes sure you know what the goals are and then lets you do your job. Since smart, conscientious people work at HealthStream, this approach works well. People are frequently promoted from within the company; there's plenty of opportunity for advancement. Also, interestingly, I know of at least 10 employees that worked at HealthStream--and then left to go to another company--and then came back to HealthStream because they liked HealthStream so much! In short, I feel extremely lucky to have my job. It's a terrific place to work.

Cons

HealthStream is clearly a growing company. I think it's exciting to a part of a growing company--but for some folks, it may not be their cup of tea. If you're comfortable with innovation, change, and---well, growth, HealthStream is a great place to be. I think there are some folks out there that prefer to work at older, larger companies that have relatively more established, structured job boundaries--and there's nothing wrong with that. I've always appreciated the fact that there have been opportunities for me to expand my skills into other areas at HealthStream. It's a really "hands on" kind of place.

Keep doing what you're doing! HealthStream's executive team has clearly demonstrated that they have the "right stuff" to lead this company--and, apparently, other really intelligent people agree.....HealthStream's stock has been a HUGE success! HealthStream's stock has more than quadrupled over the last three years! HealthStream's executive team is very humble--and I hope you always maintain that level of humilty. Also, stay progressive. I love the fact that you have two female board members--and won an award for your commitment to diversity.

HSTM does not value its employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you’re a glass-half-full person, you could say that job security was a huge pro. There was so much work to be done in my department that I knew I never had to worry about it running out. Of course, glass-half-empty, that means I was consistently overworked and execs seemed to have no concern about appropriate staffing.

Cons

Where to begin? See above: the amount of work I was doing was ridiculous. Our department's workload more than doubled over the last 3 years, but in that time, we only hired one additional person. When I gave my notice and my boss asked me why I was leaving, he was surprised that I said I was overworked. With his next breath, he asked if I would come in evenings after working a full day at my new job to help them stay caught up. Um, no thanks!

Benefits and pay were horrible. All we would hear from the execs was how great the company was doing and how much money we were making. This money was not re-invested in the employees. At my interview for my new job, the people interviewing me laughed when I gave them a ballpark # for what I was making at HSTM. I once offered a job to a guy who turned it down because he was going to make more money at the PEACE CORPS. Think about that one! No matching 401K and no tuition reimbursement. I'm already getting more time off at my new job than I did after 7 years at HSTM. (And I was earning the absolute maximum at HSTM.)

Communication was absolutely pathetic. Execs were seemingly incapable of understanding how important it is to tell people what is going on. I was amazed at how little I was told as manager. I would find out second- or third-hand about decisions that directly affected my department.

Unfair treatment: Some "leaders" got to work from home and work some interesting hours (like rolling in at 10 and leaving at 3). Doesn’t exactly make you feel engaged and motivated to work hard.

Our job was market research, with one of the main branches of that being employee satisfaction. The last internal employee survey we did was 3 years ago and we never got the results. It was like the company hoped we would all get collective amnesia. Considering that the year before, when they actually did let us know the results, they did nothing to solve any of the issues that were presented, I guess they figured it would be easier to just pretend the survey never happened.

There is no career development. I was never offered any management training and when you combine that with having supervisors who are totally disconnected, it means I was on my own.

The last year or so I was there, it was all about quantity, not quality. Let's sell, sell, sell and not worry about whether or not you have the resources to deliver what was promised. And make sure everyone is focused on arbitrary deadlines, and not on delivering a quality product to clients.

Over the last 2 years or so, many long-time, valuable employees have left. This is not a coincidence. If you do not begin to value your employees by paying them more, providing better benefits, and staffing appropriately so that people are not completely stressed out, this "brain drain" is only going to get worse.

Learn how to communicate effectively. Understand that it is better to be open and honest, even about negative things, than to let rumors fester.

Stop writing fake Glass Door reviews. (Either the Feb. 28 review was written by a PR person or it's a parody.)

Worked for HealthStream? Contribute to the Community!