HealthStream
www.healthstream.com Nashville, TN 150 to 499 Employees

HealthStream Reviews

Updated Mar 12, 2014

HealthStream Chairman, President, and CEO Robert A. Frist Jr.

Robert A. Frist Jr.

Great work culture but poor employee development and poor benefits

Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream full-time for more than a year

ProsThe work culture is great. This is a very supportive company.

ConsThe investment in their employees is the bare minimum. Just started a tiny match to the 401K this year, poor raises, expensive high deductible insurance, basic dental, no training budget whatsoever. It is weird because you are treated well in the here and now but managers and peers but the same company will not invest in their employees futures.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more equity (better bonus, stock, 401K match, training budget, etc) to your employees. Please stop saying "we are a start up" when you have been in business over 16 years.

Solid and worthwhile company-wide mission

Baltimore, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEverything is connected to improving patient outcomes, so you'll feel good about your job. Nice employee recognition system.

ConsDifferent locations, different cultures, Nashville best, Baltimore still good. Pay is not always competitive.

Solid company with kind, helpful co-workers

I have been working at HealthStream full-time for less than a year

Pros* Employee-driven teams to enhance quality of life (professional and personal) for employees.
* The company appears willing to invest in professional development of its employees
* At about 500 employees, the company makes a good effort to make everyone feel included and create a sense of family.
* Quarterly department goals rewarded with a bonus for each goal met offer a way for an employee to feel actively involved in improving the company's processes.

Cons* There seems to be a definite cultural separation between executive leadership and the remainder of the staff. For example, the employee dress code is casual (jeans are permitted), but the executive team tends to dress on the high-end of business casual, which creates a feeling of "them" and "us", rather than a single "we."
* The company is slow to invest in additional employee headcount, which can be taxing on existing staff
* The company is adding new clients and resources are sometimes at maximum capacity, which sometimes makes it difficult to get answers if you need them quickly.
* No 401(k) match or ESPP

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing an overall great job managing a 500-employee company. While I respect the accomplishment and experience of executive management, it'd be nice to see them blend in more with the rest of the staff culturally. It would eventually be nice to see a matching 401(k) and some kind of stock purchase plan.

Good Culture

ProsPositive Culture, Flexible, Growing Company

ConsBenefits, 401k and Salaries sub par

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up to keep and attract talent

House of Cards

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at HealthStream full-time

ProsPeople are friendly and the building is cool. The company works hard to have employee engagement opportunities such as monthly birthday celebrations, holiday parties, employees committees - sports, events, lunch and learn, etc. However, it would be great if management would participate.

ConsThere is a general sense that the company is making good money so why change anything. This breeds a level of complacency in the company that rewards status quo and punishes benchmarking, incremental improvements, process reviews, or any other new ideas. The company currently survives by under-cutting pricing by selling access to its platform that is at least 5 years behind its competition and is not scaleable. Healthstream brags about holding a large percentage of the market space but the fact is that most of its sales are going to HCA-related (Frist) companies. More and more companies are leaving Healthstream for competitors because they have better functionality. This single-source strategy is not sustainable for the long-term. The CEO, Bobby Frist, is at best a part-time figure head. There is no clear leadership in the company and as a result, each member of senior management has his own agenda, non of which is aligned with the other. This disjointed management has resulted in very reactionary strategies in product development, sales, operations, marketing, finance, and IT that have cost the company millions in lost opportunities, wasted effort and lost talent (high turn-over). Unless their are significant changes made in the very near term, the ongoing viability of this company is questionable.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake Bobby Frist the Chairman of the Board only and hire a full time qualified and motivated CEO who will then bring in a qualified senior management team that is non-remote who will welcome ideas from employees. Invest in your employees the way you want your customers to invest in their employees. Hire the most qualified people rather than your friends.

FANTASTIC place to work!!!!

I have been working at HealthStream full-time

ProsHealthStream is a fantistic place to work! Without question, it is the best place I've been employed in my career. The culture is very entrepreneurial, hard-working, and, frankly, just a fun place to get up every morning and spend my day. Throughout the company, you'll find that there is an enormous amout of sincerity, integrity, and "good heartedness"--which is due, of course, to the great people that work at HealthStream. It's very unpretentious--which I love. Everyone works hard--but we also celebrate our successes and, yes, vacations, are encouraged. You should also know that a lot of smart people work at HealthStream--which keeps things stimulating.

Importantly, HealthStream is wildly successful--and that should be important for anyone looking for a job. HealthStream was just named as the 27th best small company in the U.S. by Forbes magazine!..and that's literally out of many thousands of public companies. The CEO is Bobby Frist and he is one smart guy! I don't know a single person here at HealthStream who doesn't have enormous respect for him. He's very passionate about making a difference in healthcare (I've heard people compare him to Steve Jobs--but, believe me, Bobby is much nicer and probably smarter). HealthStream has been the market leader in our space--ever since there has been a HealthStream. About 60% of U.S. hospitals use HealthStream--which is more than double anybody else in our space. As an employee, it been fun to be a part of such a huge success.

It has been my experience that if you work hard, you will be rewarded--and rewarded well. Personally, I'm not the kind of person who likes having someone looking over my shoulder constantly as I work (i.e. micro-managing me). Luckily, HealthStream is the kind of place that makes sure you know what the goals are and then lets you do your job. Since smart, conscientious people work at HealthStream, this approach works well. People are frequently promoted from within the company; there's plenty of opportunity for advancement. Also, interestingly, I know of at least 10 employees that worked at HealthStream--and then left to go to another company--and then came back to HealthStream because they liked HealthStream so much! In short, I feel extremely lucky to have my job. It's a terrific place to work.

ConsHealthStream is clearly a growing company. I think it's exciting to a part of a growing company--but for some folks, it may not be their cup of tea. If you're comfortable with innovation, change, and---well, growth, HealthStream is a great place to be. I think there are some folks out there that prefer to work at older, larger companies that have relatively more established, structured job boundaries--and there's nothing wrong with that. I've always appreciated the fact that there have been opportunities for me to expand my skills into other areas at HealthStream. It's a really "hands on" kind of place.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! HealthStream's executive team has clearly demonstrated that they have the "right stuff" to lead this company--and, apparently, other really intelligent people agree.....HealthStream's stock has been a HUGE success! HealthStream's stock has more than quadrupled over the last three years! HealthStream's executive team is very humble--and I hope you always maintain that level of humilty. Also, stay progressive. I love the fact that you have two female board members--and won an award for your commitment to diversity.

HSTM does not value its employees

Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you’re a glass-half-full person, you could say that job security was a huge pro. There was so much work to be done in my department that I knew I never had to worry about it running out. Of course, glass-half-empty, that means I was consistently overworked and execs seemed to have no concern about appropriate staffing.

ConsWhere to begin? See above: the amount of work I was doing was ridiculous. Our department's workload more than doubled over the last 3 years, but in that time, we only hired one additional person. When I gave my notice and my boss asked me why I was leaving, he was surprised that I said I was overworked. With his next breath, he asked if I would come in evenings after working a full day at my new job to help them stay caught up. Um, no thanks!

Benefits and pay were horrible. All we would hear from the execs was how great the company was doing and how much money we were making. This money was not re-invested in the employees. At my interview for my new job, the people interviewing me laughed when I gave them a ballpark # for what I was making at HSTM. I once offered a job to a guy who turned it down because he was going to make more money at the PEACE CORPS. Think about that one! No matching 401K and no tuition reimbursement. I'm already getting more time off at my new job than I did after 7 years at HSTM. (And I was earning the absolute maximum at HSTM.)

Communication was absolutely pathetic. Execs were seemingly incapable of understanding how important it is to tell people what is going on. I was amazed at how little I was told as manager. I would find out second- or third-hand about decisions that directly affected my department.

Unfair treatment: Some "leaders" got to work from home and work some interesting hours (like rolling in at 10 and leaving at 3). Doesn’t exactly make you feel engaged and motivated to work hard.

Our job was market research, with one of the main branches of that being employee satisfaction. The last internal employee survey we did was 3 years ago and we never got the results. It was like the company hoped we would all get collective amnesia. Considering that the year before, when they actually did let us know the results, they did nothing to solve any of the issues that were presented, I guess they figured it would be easier to just pretend the survey never happened.

There is no career development. I was never offered any management training and when you combine that with having supervisors who are totally disconnected, it means I was on my own.

The last year or so I was there, it was all about quantity, not quality. Let's sell, sell, sell and not worry about whether or not you have the resources to deliver what was promised. And make sure everyone is focused on arbitrary deadlines, and not on delivering a quality product to clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementOver the last 2 years or so, many long-time, valuable employees have left. This is not a coincidence. If you do not begin to value your employees by paying them more, providing better benefits, and staffing appropriately so that people are not completely stressed out, this "brain drain" is only going to get worse.

Learn how to communicate effectively. Understand that it is better to be open and honest, even about negative things, than to let rumors fester.

Stop writing fake Glass Door reviews. (Either the Feb. 28 review was written by a PR person or it's a parody.)

Better places to work

I worked at HealthStream full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly people. Salary is market for most positions. Interesting building with a couple of restaurants. Nice gym that company will pay a percentage

ConsNoticed that the friendliness has eroded. Employees have been begging for a 401k plan and employee stock for a long time but keep hearing that the C-suite will 'look into it". kinda cheap for a company with 65m+ in cash. Noticed that sub-par employees keep getting hired i.e. bringing in buddies.

Advice to Senior Managementget away from the attitude if it isn't broke; dont fix it

The bar is set to "Mediocrity" (psecific to the IT department)

Senior Level IT (Former Employee)

I worked at HealthStream full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt is really easy to be an "overachiever" by just doing your job. Unfortunately, the reality is most employees don't, and if you have any sort of work ethic whatsoever, you will find yourself picking up the slack of others.

So, maybe, no pros...

ConsLimited experience by senior IT management means limited exposure to different methodologies. They see themselves as industry leaders, but fear the unknown and operate within a very tightly defined sphere of knowledge.

There are several instances where sub-standard work is acceptable and sometimes rewarded because of personal relationships between managers and direct reports.

Annual review process is subjective & annual increases are negligible.

Extremely weak benefit package. No 401(k) match, although it is requested by employees time and again when executive team asks what they can do to make HSTM a better place to work. PTO is weak.

Specific to IT - there is virtually no room for professional growth. While it is possible to come in entry level and be promoted, the management is not capable of mentoring or developing job skills they themselves do no possess.

Average place to work

I have been working at HealthStream full-time

ProsNot a bad place to work. People are nice enough. Benefits and pay are average. Bonus's are quarterly but only 1%. Annual bonus can net about 2%. Easy enought access to I-65. Gym is in Cummins Stataion and can joing at a discount. A few place to eat in the building or walk to the Flying Saucer or the Frist Cafe but other than those choses then you have to drive. Most section managers are good about work/life management and giving time off to take care of personal issues. Revenue growth of the company continues to grow but research a bit deeper and you will find that it may be due too luck more so than sound strategy.

ConsIf you have to travel then be prepared to pay out of your own pocket although HR says it's a quick turn around; do not believe it. This is a SaaS company and not a true healthcare company. Several areas are understaffed especially in IT so do not expect immediate help although MIS tries really hard. I would not recommend this company to anyone who wants to grow professionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe senior management has been lucky to date in that Healthstream enjoy about a 40% piece of the market. but don't get too comfortable.

Worked for HealthStream? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HealthStream reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HealthStream CEO Robert A. Frist Jr. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by HealthStream employees.