HealthStream

www.healthstream.com

HealthStream Reviews

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014

HealthStream Chairman, President, and CEO Robert A. Frist Jr.
Robert A. Frist Jr.

To be a part of HealthStream is to be important, innovative, and the best of the best.

Current Employee - Senior Director of Regional Client Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Director of Regional Client Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I, like many of my co-workers, am a long term employee of HealthStream. Over the years I have had privilege to grow professionally and personally while my unique skills have been encouraged, challenged, and recognized.

Overall, I am a "HealthStreamer" dedicated to upholding our company values. I know with certainty that I and my co-workers believe in our mission and strive daily to live up to our vision "to improve the quality of healthcare by assessing and developing the people who deliver care".

It is always a joy to bring in new people to HealthStream. We have a waiting list of employees who desire to be part of the dedicated group of employees that play key roles in interviewing, on-boarding, and mentoring. All HealthStreamers enjoy participating in our HealthStream “Buddy” program that supports new employees well beyond the training period.

Lastly, I would be remiss if I left out a mention of our CEO, Bobby Frist and our executive team. No matter what role I have held, I have always known that our CEO and his team are easily accessible. The employee culture supports a positive, driven, excited workforce, independent of whether you are a remote or office based employee.

Cons

Joining HealthStream means that you will be a part of some amazing people doing outstanding things...you have to push yourself to shine! Where it could hit your ego from time to time, I do not see that as a bad thing, but a great way to become better everyday. I can imagine that those applicants out there who do not want to reach excellence would find that a con.

Continue to support and recognize those employees, whether new employees or long term, when they succeed. Continue to be excited about the difference we can make in the talent management process that impact excellence in patient care.

Start up Mentality, Appreciates and values new ideas, Your growth and success truly lies in your hands

Current Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What I love about HealthStream is that it fosters creativity - your position is truly what you make of it. The company is filled with fantastic, creative, hard-working talent. Growth opportunities right now are abundant, as the company continues to rapidly grow. Healthcare industry and HealthStream are both solid places to be in the workforce.

Cons

Fast growth can lead to growing pains. Benefits are so-so.

Continue to invest further in your people. As Nashville continues to grow, so will open jobs in the market. If we want to continue to attract the best talent, we need to ensure our workplace is one that people are inspired by, and want to be a part of.

Take a look at some of the tech companies in SF/Silicon and what they are doing for their employees - as those companies are beginning to open up shop in town, the more competitive the market becomes for keeping and attracting quality employees (a perfect example is Eventbrite).

High Descrimination

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is very interested in a family environment. The higher ups encourage a healthy work-life balance. The company attempts to build pride in the organization through company events, giveaways and functions outside of the building to further emphasize that family dynamic.

Cons

Horrible communication: In the sales division, and overall corporate design, this large company is still ran like a Mom and Pop in many ways. Too many changes to the company structure. For example, just recently an entire division was scrapped, another division went from salaried to hourly and positions are being cut left and right without notice to employees who have been with the company for nearly a decade. There is now, and has been for the past 5 years, a strong belief that there is no place for people of certain ethnicity to grow in the company. Benefits are horrible.

Do not lie to employees. Do not retain so many temporary employees. Put together a genuine HR staff in the Laurel, Maryland office. Leave the technical and corporate jargon alone if the intention is to have a family dynamic. Expand opportunities for employees to truly move up in the company. Please look at some of the top companies, study their benefit and compensation packages, and follow suit.

A large company with a startup mentality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture of the company is top notch. They don't just have values to show to stock holders, they incorporate them into everyday life. The location of the office downtown is amazing. You can also use your parking pass to go to weekend events downtown.

Cons

The biggest challenge is that the company has different branches and if you aren't in one of the favorite branches then you have to deal with a lot more growing pains. Leadership is approachable but fairly out of tune with what is going on.

Before you release a new product or create a sales goal around a product, you need to give operations the time and resources needed to staff and produce it. Too often we have to use the first to buy a product as Lab rats running in a maze trying to find the cheese.

Poor senior management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream

Pros

A lot of young dedicated coworkers

Cons

Benefits are weak. Finally got a 401(k) match in 2014 - a whopping 1% if the employee contributes 10%. Meanwhile, the executive team is cashing in millions of dollars in stock options.

Share the wealth that executive team is cashing in on. Get out of your offices and talk with the employees.

Good Company Overall

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at HealthStream full-time

Pros

Good people who genuinely care about the company and their clients

Cons

Very slow implementing technology

This company has a lot of potential.
    The employees who actually do the work excel within their area of expertise.
    Many processes however have been poorly managed over time and need to be overhauled.

very strict

Former Employee - Interviewer in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream part-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy job
    no real pressure or quotas

Cons

very very boring
    supervisors are jerks
    company is inefficient

treat employees better and with more freedom

Ideals did not match actions

Former Employee - Analyst in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Analyst in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The group I worked with was a very strong team that trusted individuals to take responsibility but would pitch in where needed.

Cons

Despite talk of growth potential, there was absolutely no opportunity. Operations were segmented so there was no natural progression of sills or responsibility. I knew very few people who ever changed positions, even after years of working there. Beyond that,, salary was absurdly low, not just on the low end of the market, but probably 25% lower than the bottom of the market range

Great work culture but poor employee development and poor benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work culture is great. This is a very supportive company.

Cons

The investment in their employees is the bare minimum. Just started a tiny match to the 401K this year, poor raises, expensive high deductible insurance, basic dental, no training budget whatsoever. It is weird because you are treated well in the here and now but managers and peers but the same company will not invest in their employees futures.

Give more equity (better bonus, stock, 401K match, training budget, etc) to your employees. Please stop saying "we are a start up" when you have been in business over 16 years.

Solid and worthwhile company-wide mission

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everything is connected to improving patient outcomes, so you'll feel good about your job. Nice employee recognition system.

Cons

Different locations, different cultures, Nashville best, Baltimore still good. Pay is not always competitive.