HealthStream

Profile Unclaimed

HealthStream Reviews

Updated March 5, 2015
Updated March 5, 2015

HealthStream Chairman, President, and CEO Robert A. Frist Jr.
Robert A. Frist Jr.

Great Workplace

Current Employee - Phone Interviewer in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Phone Interviewer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay Reasonable Hours Considerate Staff

Cons

Testing to get the job more personal space

None

Great visionary leaders with strong mission, vision & values

Current Employee - Product Management in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Product Management in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company is growing like crazy, solid partners, products & customers.HealthStream is in acquisition mode and also has had significant year over year growth for the last 5 years.

Cons

With growth and acquisitions come growing pains. HealthStream leadership treats the company as a small start up, but with 850 employees and a strong growth path, we need systems and business processes in place to be successful. Leadership does not seem interested in investing in the infrastructure we need to succeed.

They also do not do a good job of promoting from within and rewarding employees (other than sales) for doing a good job. If we invested in our employees even a fraction of what we invest in buying new companies, we would all be more successful.

Double down on your great employees, empower your managers to make promotion decisions for their staff and implement a program that allows non-sales people to be rewarded for their hard work.

High growth and fast pace with small company feel

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at HealthStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Generally positive atmosphere with really great people as co-workers
    - Lots of opportunities to try different things, jobs, responsibilities, projects
    - Feels like a smaller company than it is (employees know each other, many employees have good friends at work)
    - Management is highly dedicated to the company and truly wants to see the company and its employees succeed
    - Feedback (positive and negative) is quick and opportunities to learn are high
    - If you show initiative and interest, you will be given more responsibilities that align with your professional desires
    - If you work hard, you are rewarded and recognized
    - Great financial outlook

Cons

- Very fast pace and constant changes can be difficult to manage
    - Definitely more work than could possibly ever get done
    - Some key positions are filled with employees who provide little value to the company and are a negative influence on the culture (and other employees' perspective of management)

The company feels like it is at a critical point in its growth. It's not a small company anymore, but it doesn't seem to know how to be a big company yet. Supporting, mentoring, and helping employees during this time is challenging. Learning when to let go of some of the "old" ways (and frankly, some employees) will be critical to a successful transition.

Laurel

Former Employee - Operations in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Operations in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream

Pros

Casual Dress Code. Birthday Celebration Cake

Cons

The Laurel office was a different company before it was bought over by HealthStream. The Laurel office is treated like the step child you do not want. The Pay is horrible and the employees in Laurel are treated badly. There is no 401k match. There is no room for growth. People keep doing the same thing over and over again for years. It is very monotonous and boring. The office does not close when it snows, you are expected to use your PTO or come in to the office. If you do not use your PTO you have to make up the time or use PTO. The Managers and those with laptops get to work from home but the rest of the office has to come in.

Don't waste your time

Former Contractor - Phone Interviewer
    Former Contractor - Phone Interviewer

I worked at HealthStream as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Met a a lot of great people, supervisor was willing to with his team, nice coffee machine

Cons

Little room for growth, high turn over rate, certain parts of the office gets special treatment a lot of employees are burnt out

Great Culture - Short on Opportunity

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Nashville, TN

I worked at HealthStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of really great people with a great culture and great office space located inside Cummings Sattion downtown.

Cons

Very limited opportunities for advancement except for the usual suspects. Salaries are not competitive with other technology companies.

Create more opportunity for personal growth and advancement. Offer competitive salaries in order to retain talent.

This company is in a tug of war between employees who want to see it grow and those who want to stay small.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at HealthStream as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed atmosphere that fosters creativity with some in leadership who are truly vested in advancing the technologies available to educate healthcare workers and their employees. Atmosphere and technologies used are on the cutting edge of healthcare. Great building and location.

Cons

Employees who hold back departments, leaders that are not interested or invested in their teams, only numbers. There is no support system for employees who want to improve the dynamics, environment, or processes.
    Very high school like environment fostered with aggressive staff that are allowed free reign without reproach by VPs or HR. People who are not part of the buddy system are not promoted or recognized for their work.

Foster a better environment for improvements, support the staff who are trying to grow your company and your staff. Reprimand/remove those managers and employees that foster clicks (implementations/sales) which bully employees outside of the clicks.

Enjoy

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream

Pros

Laid back environment to work in

Cons

Lack of direction from management.

Get on the same page. What's good enought today should be good enough tomorrow

Great company, but still has it's challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- company is in great financial shape and growing fast
    - co-workers are very nice and generally good to work with
    - company still tries to retain a start-up mentality
    - great location in downtown Nashville
    - Bobby Frist is great at visions for the company

Cons

- executive team makes nearly all important decisions, thereby making changes very, very slowly (some decisions can take years)
    - benefits are not great (401k match is only 1% at the end of the year if employee contributes 10%, and it's still discretionary by the company). Seems odd for a company with over $100M in cash
    - very conservatively run -- no major risk taking here
    - opportunities to move up may require moving to a different department
    - bonuses are very low (up to 4% for most, up to 8% for Directors, and less than 15% for Leadership level).
    - for a tech company, things move very slowly in product development
    - too many "half-hearted" efforts rather than focusing on two or three major things at a time
    - antiquated systems don't communicate with each other, creating lots of manual efforts/processes

- get focused on major things and align incentives across the entire company to achieve them
    - invest in better systems before adding headcount. Get more productive with what you have first!

Fast-Growing Company with Lots of Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is not your average "healthcare" company. We are a tech company in the healthcare industry so that equates to a much cooler company culture... casual dress code, flexible work hours and understanding managers, opportunities to work remotely, nice offices/common areas, fun company events.

This is a great place for someone who has a vision and wants to take action. High performers are rewarded with lots of growth opportunities professionally.

Teamwork is highly valued. I go to work every day with some of the best people I know. And we all do what it takes to make things happen and pitch in where needed.

Downtown office location is great. Parking pass is an awesome perk on nights and weekends for personal use.

Cons

We are growing so quickly that often support resources do not grow in lock step. Many departments are over capacity and running just to keep up.

We have "so much money in the bank" yet we often feel that money isn't going toward employee benefits and market-value compensation. As well as department budgets - expectations are high to deliver groundbreaking performance yet the expectation is to do so with as little $ as possible. While that makes for some very resourceful people, it can be frustrating.

For a tech company, I think we could be more innovative. It takes us years to make changes when swift action is what's needed. I think this comes from competing priorities and an unwillingness to pony up the $ it takes sometimes to get things done quickly and the RIGHT way.

This high-growth also brings about acquisitions. In my experience, it has not been a smooth process integrating acquired companies. Management lets divisions spur off independently too long which creates natural barriers between employees and the ability to work efficiently.

Wake up and realize that we are not a start up anymore. It's going to take more generosity with compensation, budgets, and a serious investment in resources to give us the jolt we need to really transition into the big leagues and be a serious force to be reckoned with.