HealthStream

www.healthstream.com

HealthStream Reviews

Updated January 25, 2015
Updated January 25, 2015

HealthStream Chairman, President, and CEO Robert A. Frist Jr.
Robert A. Frist Jr.

High growth and fast pace with small company feel

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at HealthStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Generally positive atmosphere with really great people as co-workers
    - Lots of opportunities to try different things, jobs, responsibilities, projects
    - Feels like a smaller company than it is (employees know each other, many employees have good friends at work)
    - Management is highly dedicated to the company and truly wants to see the company and its employees succeed
    - Feedback (positive and negative) is quick and opportunities to learn are high
    - If you show initiative and interest, you will be given more responsibilities that align with your professional desires
    - If you work hard, you are rewarded and recognized
    - Great financial outlook

Cons

- Very fast pace and constant changes can be difficult to manage
    - Definitely more work than could possibly ever get done
    - Some key positions are filled with employees who provide little value to the company and are a negative influence on the culture (and other employees' perspective of management)

The company feels like it is at a critical point in its growth. It's not a small company anymore, but it doesn't seem to know how to be a big company yet. Supporting, mentoring, and helping employees during this time is challenging. Learning when to let go of some of the "old" ways (and frankly, some employees) will be critical to a successful transition.

Great company, but still has it's challenges

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- company is in great financial shape and growing fast
    - co-workers are very nice and generally good to work with
    - company still tries to retain a start-up mentality
    - great location in downtown Nashville
    - Bobby Frist is great at visions for the company

Cons

- executive team makes nearly all important decisions, thereby making changes very, very slowly (some decisions can take years)
    - benefits are not great (401k match is only 1% at the end of the year if employee contributes 10%, and it's still discretionary by the company). Seems odd for a company with over $100M in cash
    - very conservatively run -- no major risk taking here
    - opportunities to move up may require moving to a different department
    - bonuses are very low (up to 4% for most, up to 8% for Directors, and less than 15% for Leadership level).
    - for a tech company, things move very slowly in product development
    - too many "half-hearted" efforts rather than focusing on two or three major things at a time
    - antiquated systems don't communicate with each other, creating lots of manual efforts/processes

- get focused on major things and align incentives across the entire company to achieve them
    - invest in better systems before adding headcount. Get more productive with what you have first!

Fast-Growing Company with Lots of Opportunity

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is not your average "healthcare" company. We are a tech company in the healthcare industry so that equates to a much cooler company culture... casual dress code, flexible work hours and understanding managers, opportunities to work remotely, nice offices/common areas, fun company events.

This is a great place for someone who has a vision and wants to take action. High performers are rewarded with lots of growth opportunities professionally.

Teamwork is highly valued. I go to work every day with some of the best people I know. And we all do what it takes to make things happen and pitch in where needed.

Downtown office location is great. Parking pass is an awesome perk on nights and weekends for personal use.

Cons

We are growing so quickly that often support resources do not grow in lock step. Many departments are over capacity and running just to keep up.

We have "so much money in the bank" yet we often feel that money isn't going toward employee benefits and market-value compensation. As well as department budgets - expectations are high to deliver groundbreaking performance yet the expectation is to do so with as little $ as possible. While that makes for some very resourceful people, it can be frustrating.

For a tech company, I think we could be more innovative. It takes us years to make changes when swift action is what's needed. I think this comes from competing priorities and an unwillingness to pony up the $ it takes sometimes to get things done quickly and the RIGHT way.

This high-growth also brings about acquisitions. In my experience, it has not been a smooth process integrating acquired companies. Management lets divisions spur off independently too long which creates natural barriers between employees and the ability to work efficiently.

Wake up and realize that we are not a start up anymore. It's going to take more generosity with compensation, budgets, and a serious investment in resources to give us the jolt we need to really transition into the big leagues and be a serious force to be reckoned with.

Enjoy

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream

Pros

Laid back environment to work in

Cons

Lack of direction from management.

Get on the same page. What's good enought today should be good enough tomorrow

This company is in a tug of war between employees who want to see it grow and those who want to stay small.

I worked at HealthStream as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Very relaxed atmosphere that fosters creativity with some in leadership who are truly vested in advancing the technologies available to educate healthcare workers and their employees. Atmosphere and technologies used are on the cutting edge of healthcare. Great building and location.

Cons

Employees who hold back departments, leaders that are not interested or invested in their teams, only numbers. There is no support system for employees who want to improve the dynamics, environment, or processes.
    Very high school like environment fostered with aggressive staff that are allowed free reign without reproach by VPs or HR. People who are not part of the buddy system are not promoted or recognized for their work.

Foster a better environment for improvements, support the staff who are trying to grow your company and your staff. Reprimand/remove those managers and employees that foster clicks (implementations/sales) which bully employees outside of the clicks.

Wonderful people and culture

I worked at HealthStream

Pros

The culture is one that encourages collaboration even outside of your assigned team. The people are by far the best asset of the company.

Cons

Benefits are lacking for a company of the age and size. Salary for long term employees is often not near market.

Update your benefits and compensate people at market rate.

To be a part of HealthStream is to be important, innovative, and the best of the best.

Current Employee - Senior Director of Regional Client Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Director of Regional Client Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I, like many of my co-workers, am a long term employee of HealthStream. Over the years I have had privilege to grow professionally and personally while my unique skills have been encouraged, challenged, and recognized.

Overall, I am a "HealthStreamer" dedicated to upholding our company values. I know with certainty that I and my co-workers believe in our mission and strive daily to live up to our vision "to improve the quality of healthcare by assessing and developing the people who deliver care".

It is always a joy to bring in new people to HealthStream. We have a waiting list of employees who desire to be part of the dedicated group of employees that play key roles in interviewing, on-boarding, and mentoring. All HealthStreamers enjoy participating in our HealthStream “Buddy” program that supports new employees well beyond the training period.

Lastly, I would be remiss if I left out a mention of our CEO, Bobby Frist and our executive team. No matter what role I have held, I have always known that our CEO and his team are easily accessible. The employee culture supports a positive, driven, excited workforce, independent of whether you are a remote or office based employee.

Cons

Joining HealthStream means that you will be a part of some amazing people doing outstanding things...you have to push yourself to shine! Where it could hit your ego from time to time, I do not see that as a bad thing, but a great way to become better everyday. I can imagine that those applicants out there who do not want to reach excellence would find that a con.

Continue to support and recognize those employees, whether new employees or long term, when they succeed. Continue to be excited about the difference we can make in the talent management process that impact excellence in patient care.

Start up Mentality, Appreciates and values new ideas, Your growth and success truly lies in your hands

Current Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What I love about HealthStream is that it fosters creativity - your position is truly what you make of it. The company is filled with fantastic, creative, hard-working talent. Growth opportunities right now are abundant, as the company continues to rapidly grow. Healthcare industry and HealthStream are both solid places to be in the workforce.

Cons

Fast growth can lead to growing pains. Benefits are so-so.

Continue to invest further in your people. As Nashville continues to grow, so will open jobs in the market. If we want to continue to attract the best talent, we need to ensure our workplace is one that people are inspired by, and want to be a part of.

Take a look at some of the tech companies in SF/Silicon and what they are doing for their employees - as those companies are beginning to open up shop in town, the more competitive the market becomes for keeping and attracting quality employees (a perfect example is Eventbrite).

There are plenty of healthcare tech jobs in Nashville. Don't bother with this one.

I have been working at HealthStream

Pros

- Genuine focus on improving healthcare
    - Downtown location is nice (parking pass is a nice perk on the weekends)
    - Casual dress
    - Collaborative office culture within each department
    - Flexible work hours
    - Bobby Frist is genuinely a nice guy. Very well-intentioned. Just wish he was a better CEO.

Cons

- HealthStream is growing too quickly for its own good. The org structure changes once a quarter, people's desk assignments are changed constantly, sales goals and new products are launched without increasing resources to operations to ensure success. There is very little cohesion between departments.
    - No clear path for advancement. HealthStream seems content to bring in A-level talent, overwork them for two or three years, and replace them, rather than nurturing the employees they have and creating pathways to long term success. Ironic, for a company that sells talent management solutions.
    - Strong resistance to expanding resources. Profits have more than tripled in the last few years, but staff has barely increased. Everyone is scrambling to keep their head above water.
    - Most employees believe this job dictates their life. They're forced to work evenings, weekends, vacations, holidays, even all night, because HealthStream has fostered a workaholic environment where employees are expected to be available whenever the company demands. Nearly every one I know says they would be actively looking for a different job, if they had time, but this job dominates their time to the point that job hunting becomes impossible.
    - Very much an "old boys club". Gendered pay disparities are frequent. Certain ethnicities are frequently paid less, and given less opportunities for advancement as well.
    - CEO is recklessly loyal to long term employees, even those who no longer make any contribution to the company and hinder progress.
    - CEO insulates himself from company issues and has very little insight into how disjointed his company is.
    - Pay is not at industry standard. Most employees transition out of HealthStream to a 20% pay increase.
    - Benefits are a joke.
    - Company has a history of acquiring companies to expand its product suites, but fails to integrate those acquisitions at all. The result is four different companies with four different business operations and four different management structures, all attempting to operate as one unit. It's not sustainable.

Stop treating your company like a start-up and learn to manage a corporation. Instead of condescending to your employees with "aspiring manager" seminars where employees are taught how to write an email, spend that money on additional FTEs. Take a long, hard look at the employees you've shuffled from department to department over the years, paying them an obscene amount of money, rather than firing them for gross incompetence.

High Descrimination

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is very interested in a family environment. The higher ups encourage a healthy work-life balance. The company attempts to build pride in the organization through company events, giveaways and functions outside of the building to further emphasize that family dynamic.

Cons

Horrible communication: In the sales division, and overall corporate design, this large company is still ran like a Mom and Pop in many ways. Too many changes to the company structure. For example, just recently an entire division was scrapped, another division went from salaried to hourly and positions are being cut left and right without notice to employees who have been with the company for nearly a decade. There is now, and has been for the past 5 years, a strong belief that there is no place for people of certain ethnicity to grow in the company. Benefits are horrible.

Do not lie to employees. Do not retain so many temporary employees. Put together a genuine HR staff in the Laurel, Maryland office. Leave the technical and corporate jargon alone if the intention is to have a family dynamic. Expand opportunities for employees to truly move up in the company. Please look at some of the top companies, study their benefit and compensation packages, and follow suit.