HealthTap Reviews

Reset
4.5
HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

Pros
  • Pays the bills and good free food (in 9 reviews)

• a place to truly have the impacts to change the world, (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Management constantly stresses a sense of urgency for everything, all the time (in 5 reviews)

• Work / Life Balance - There is none (in 4 reviews)

Love the team meetings

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm a remote employee and one of my favorite things is that we have two all-hands meetings each week, Team Meeting and Town Hall. If you ever wanted a dose of inspiration and a sense of true family camaraderie among a team, this is the place to get it.

Cons

HealthTap needs to open satellite offices in my city so we can build a culture like in HQ here too :)

Advice to Management

Keep the family spirit and culture of winning and metrics focus. It gives me a lot of supreme confidence that we will win big as a company with a mission.

2. Would work for them again in a heart bear

Former Employee - Copywriter in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a good team with good people and an excellent mission. I had to move to the east coast so left the company on good terms. I have to tell you, companies like HealthTap are a rare find for the ambitious types looking for a big fulfilling challenge.

Cons

There were times where there was a lot of pressure around urgent deadlines, but I never once regretted the eventual outcome because I felt so proud of the work and service we created and the quality of the results we delivered and the headlines we made in the press. As the company had each subsequent release, we got better at planning for the unexpected and front loading our releases. So it seemed to be getting much better each time!

Advice to Management

Open an office in NYC. I would work at HealthTap again in a heart beat! Just need something closer to me here ;)

3. Artisans at work!

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Ive been here for a couple of months now as a contractor and hope to convert to a full-time employee with stock soon because I see the kind of talent I am surrounded with and the kinds of amazing projects we accomplish, and I am so excited to be a part of it. Everyone here takes pride in their work and is an artisan because they care about quality and making things better — even when it's hard to do given resource or time constraints. People put heart into their work and are motivated intrinsically. Being around colleagues like this inspires you to put more of yourself into things you care about and in the short time I've been around, the skills and experiences I've gained have been so valuable and accelerated.

Cons

Given how fast things move here, you really have to be a strong independent learner. While people are always willing to help and advise, many times you need to figure things out on your own. IN some ways this makes you better at things for sustainably.

Advice to Management

We should create some kind of buddy system where new employees are paired with someone else who will show them the ropes and be an unfficial guide. That would have been helpful for me! But honestly, I'm just really impressed with what is already here.

One of the best startups

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a fast growing, cool start up in the peninsula, I can’t think of any company that is as good as HealthTap. The company is making waves in the health care space, so much that there are several companies that shamelessly copy the company. Great people, great technology, entrepreneurial culture. It is on the verge of take off. Join NOW, before it becomes a household name and you cannot get a big enough piece of the action.

Cons

The company is going through some growing pains. Moving too fast and trying to do too many things. Not everyone can handle this environment.

Advice to Management

Speed is not everything. Focus on Quality and Sustainability.

strong engineering-driven culture

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

as an engineer at healthtap, i appreciate the diversity of problems we get to own and manage — all of which are business critical and directly impact millions of users. very few projects don't touch the user. i'm surrounded by really competent engineers and it's definitely an immersive culture of learning by doing. the best part about our projects are that it's very easy to see the connection between our code to people's lives actually being helped.

Cons

as the company is scaling, processes are often being redefined and scaled, and there's work to be done there in making our sprints run more smoothly, but each each set of hires, we graduate in the right direction and i have confidence we'll get through those growing pains.

Advice to Management

i think there are a lot of strong BE engineers, but we need more mobile engineers because the client side teams are still a bit too lean.

Adventurers, yeah! - A great learning experience and a fun challenge

Current Employee - HealthTapper in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - HealthTapper in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap

Pros

• The people here are straight up awesome, very intelligent, so much fun, and really do want to help people. • There are abundant learning opportunities and opportunities to grow as an individual. • One may find some good tricky challenges ranging from the "minutiae" to global in scale; great for you if you like solving problems. • Our office is super sweet and close to tasty coffee shops, Whole Foods, chocolatiers, restaurants, fun bars (including a mechanical bull), Stanford, live music in the evenings, and other good times in Palo Alto. • I like the benefits like the gym membership, and people do enjoy high-quality meals and snacks provided. • New.all.the.time! There is a lot of exciting innovation, and it is fun to be a part of that. • Collaboration. There is still so much potential in the team, and we are finding ways to bring out the best in everyone here and inspiring people to bring out the best in themselves. We do best when we work together and communicate openly. • Back to the people. People here ultimately care about others and especially about the HealthTap Team.

Cons

Sometimes, like most must do when reflecting on where they are and why, I wonder what my life would be like if I hadn't started at HealthTap. It has been a very good challenge, and it hasn't been "easy," but I would not trade this opportunity for anything. I realize there are going to be moments of frustration because we truly care about what we're doing and have accepted a great deal of responsibility. Given all that, I think I may understand the source of some of the negative sentiments in other reviews, although I still find them painful to read. At its core, HealthTap is about the people who are pushing themselves hard and sometimes to great extremes to do something positive in a new realm. Yes, there is always room for improvement; things can always be better; the grass is always greener: however you want to say it, I expect this to be the case everywhere, and that keeps things interesting and means there is always an opportunity to turn situations in a more positive direction. In doing so you get to have fun, learn a lot, help build something that can support and help a lot of people, and experience some moments of joy with incredible friends.

Advice to Management

When the team is happy, healthy, and challenged in the right ways, and we thrive.

8. Great people, fun environment

Current Intern - Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are the ones that make HealthTap what it is. Very diverse group of people. Highly talented. Very friendly and fun to work with. You get to work on a product that your friends and family can benefit heavily from.

Cons

Wish there were more opportunities to mingle with the people in a non-work environment.

Advice to Management

Organize more company events where employees can bond more with each other. It will improve collaboration.

thought leader in the industry

Current Employee - Software Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part about working at HealthTap is how the brand is so strong in the industry, both tech and health care. As someone who came here from a larger tech company, I often get to chat with my former colleagues about where I work. And the more time I spend here, the more inbound requests I get for intros with others in the company and request to share more what it's like to work here. I definitely see an increasing trend in brand awareness and HealthTap's position as a thought leader.

Cons

I sometimes get asked to explain whether there's truth to some of the negative reviews posted here, which is annoying to deal with. But to be honest, I love working here and I think the nature of the work can be challenging giving the intense winning attitude of everyone and the intrinsic sense of urgency in all that we do, but it also is the kind of environment that attracts the kind of top talent that can grow large companies. I'm happy to be considered part of that founding group of employees.

Advice to Management

A bit random for me review, but I think new employees need a better on-boarding experience. A lot of people are welcome right into their teams and start working right away, which is good, but it would make the learning curve even easier if we had some kind of formal onboarding process. Perhaps we need to invest in more people in Recruiting/HR/People management to help streamline our process around interviewing and onboarding.

The Place to Change the World

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most energetic environment with super passion people around you and cover you. Huge impacts from each engineer. Great way to stretch yourself and learn faster! Smart people. Convenient location on the University Avenue. Enjoyable environment.

Cons

Very competitive so you have to be very strong to enjoy!

Advice to Management

Bring in more awesome people and grow faster!

Very fulfilling

Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap (More than a year)

Pros

1. An environment that challenges you to stretch to your fullest potential 2. Great team - each and everyone of the employees is great to work with 3. Gourmet lunches and dinners everyday 4. Great product in a great space

Cons

1. An environment that challenges you to your fullest potential. Not a place where you can chill

Advice to Management

Scale faster. The world needs the service

RSS Feed </> Embed