HealthTap

Updated December 8, 2014
3.9

HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

Pros
  • Free food and other perks like chocolate and gym membership (in 9 reviews)

• a place to truly have the impacts to change the world, (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't get me wrong, there's still a "sense of urgency" about everything, it's just managed better (in 5 reviews)

• Work / Life Balance - There is none (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

51 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One of the most important uses of Technology

Current Employee - Android Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Android Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to impact lives. And millions of them. It is an amazing experience to do that by writing lines of code.
    The company profoundly believes in making people live better lives. And as a result we have an awesome product that constantly strives towards that goal. There are incredibly smart people who come up with amazing product ideas and love solving problems by employing cutting edge technologies. Over all this leads to a very stimulating work environment where you learn at every step.

Cons

The benchmarks of quality are high and the belief is in doing it quick. At times, it can be a bit challenging but if you can handle that for the ultimate tempting end goal, these things start appearing trivial.

Need more people to join our mission.

Awesome mission, Outstandingly Smart people, Amazing Opportunities, Tough Technical Challenges!

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The title of the review kind of sums it up.
    - The missions statement of the company is great and some of the smartest people in the world are working as one cohesive unit to achieve that mission.
    - The work is technically very fulfilling.
    - The perks and compensation is great.

Cons

Occasionally, when the releases are approaching you have to really have to try hard to avoid losing the work-life balance but I am assuming that is the case with every technical company, when the releases are near.

- Keep up the good work!
    - Pool table in the office. :)
    - More hackathons in the office.

THE place to build a healthy career

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The founders are very smart and driven. Their dedication is inspiring.
    Healthcare is a Great space to be in, now. It is ripe for disruption, and HealthTap is leading the disruption.
    Great investors.
    An environment that encourages you to eat healthy, work out regularly.
    Very friendly group of people

Cons

Location is not great. I wish it were in San Francisco
    While the bar for hiring is high, there are a few weak employees that made through

Be very stringent in hiring
    Allocate more time for research projects. You have very smart engineers. Give them 10% time to work in pet projects. Great things will come out of it.

One of the best

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing team (really, really incredible team)
    Fantastic product
    A culture of contstant improvement
    A team that cares a lot about what we do
    Actually doing good
    Lots of growth opportunities
    Excellent benefits

Cons

High standards help you excel, but can create constant pressure
    Fast pace means racing from one goal to the other

Build more time for reflection between goals or releases
    Hire more "lifers"

A company you can take pride in

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

Over the Thanksgiving holiday I thought a lot about what I'm thankful for. Jobs haven't always been on this list, but it was this year. I'm thankful for it because it's more than just a job, the company is doing good, it challenges me and gives me something to be proud of. I have always wanted fulfillment from my job, but had pretty much given up on finding it until his company. I am thankful for being fulfilled personally and professionally in what I do, and I understand now this is pretty rare.

Cons

Working here is not without some challenges. Mostly, I think this can be summed up as follows: this is a hard working place with high expectations with a small group doing a lot of work. The "long hours" I've heard about are exaggerated. Right now, the hours are manageable, but you will see long hours around releases (everyone) and there are some people who are here all the time by choice. Because those who choose to work long hours regularly stay in the office rather than work from home, you will need to learn to work well with others in this position if your peers or team lead are among them.

Keep evolving and growing and collecting feedback. Things like the recent brainstorming in team meetings where ideas can be shared companywide is a great example of the kind of collaboration that makes this company unique (I've worked places where this would never happen). Find ways to make this work at scale and keep sharing alive between groups. Everyone cares a lot and is very smart and knows the product well. Be unique in ways like this and we will be able to grow faster.

Mission and Data Driven

Current Employee - Growth and Data in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Growth and Data in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I’ve been with the company for a long time. I’m inspired by the good we’re doing in the world, and love the growth and innovation we’re experiencing. I also like that we’re we’ve become very data centric and results driven. It’s not enough to do GOOD – we need to also do WELL, and that requires deep data focus and growth orientation. I’m very happy that data skills and expertise are hired, and utilized heavily, and I enjoy participating in growing our bottom line every day. Not a lot of companies can brag that they can do both amazing things to help people AND succeed with the business – HealthTap can and that’s very cool.

I also like the people in my team. I’m supporting multiple teams and interact with people in all levels in the company. I can say with confidence that it’s great to work with everyone I’ve worked with, and that the management is very supportive and helpful too. In fact, this is the best management team and CEO I've ever worked for.

We also moved to a new office on University Avenue recently, and it’s an unbelievable office. These guys have really thought about everything, and made my life great and people here love it. Also very close to the train!

Cons

We still don’t have the data infrastructure that I see in large comoanies. These later stage larger companies have data infrastructure that makes it easier to work on big data, and we do have a lot of data now and deeper infrastructure will enable us to do amazing things.

Also, we don't have all the interns that we had from Stanford in the summer - there are fewer of them during the year.

Invest more time and resources in building deep data infrastructure. It's an investment that will get the company big reurns in the future.
    Also, bring more interns during the year too. They are great and are both helpful and add a ton of great energy to the office.

it is flying

Current Employee - Engrs in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engrs in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

a place to truly have the impacts to change the world,
    high energy,
    a lot of funs,
    group of awesome ppl who believe its mission,
    core product is amazing helpful and valuable,
    engrs are strong,
    on the wave of newest and sexiest technologies,
    inspired by great hearts of doctors,
    positive culture,
    open communications,

Cons

the bar here is very high so you have to be very self-motivated and grow yourself in a fast way.

more focus, more recognition, faster development,

Saving Lives 24x7

Current Employee - Mobile Lead in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Mobile Lead in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lot of my friends volunteer for social causes every weekend. I do it during my office hours, since the code I write saves lives one way or another and helps someone even when I am sleeping.

I have been working with HealthTap for more than 2 years now with one of the most awesome teams I have ever worked with throughout my professional career.

Everyone has the ability to drive the key technology decisions and it is not limited to few people. You want to drive a new technology change, have a chat with CTO, build out business case, and he is more than supportive to help you implement that.

Over the last few months, we have developed a game changer product which is going to boost the life expectancy of millions of people all around the world.. Sure it has been a challenging journey, but so were for the team which developed the iPhone.

Cons

No company is perfect, We have to work together to make it better. And that's what we have been working at. I read through some of the scathing reviews but didn't understood the logic behind it. If we are on to achieving greatness, path wouldn't be easy.

Let's get more rockstars on board. World needs HealthTap more than ever.. :)

Amazing experience working with an amazing team for an awesome mission

Former Employee - Software Engineer (Quality) in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer (Quality) in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Love its mission
    -A good environment to work in
    -An environment that encourages you to give your best.
    -Very friendly group of people
    -Lots of new things to learn

Cons

-A lot more innovative and dynamic environment, at times get hard when it comes to you daily
    -Long working hours

-Keep up the good work
    -Stay open to evolving and changing with the input of the team as the company gets bigger
    -Preserve the spirit of the company as it grow and keep improving

Great company, Quality work

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Excellent team
    2. Learning
    3. Flexible timings
    4. Supportive management

Cons

You really need to work hard when there is some release.