HealthTap

Updated Jun 15, 2014

HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman

Ron Gutman

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun culture, hard work, big results

Palo Alto, CA

ProsStrong culture of fun, hard work, and a drive to get things done. This is a very committed team who loves what they do. It is a great place to learn by doing (your plate will be very full and with a lot worth learning). Personally, the best compensation and benefits I've had at any job.

ConsThat pro about having a very full plate most of the time can feel like a con at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn office activities and parties and perks like massages are great -- add even more out of the office events (like the current sports league and the BBQs in the park)

Keeps getting better

ProsGreat perks
    - very good compensation / market salary and equity
    - excellent benefits like 100% of medical/dental/vision, catered lunch and Munchery dinner every day
    - great extras like massages, dinner, surprise parties, free gourmet chocolate
    Great people
    - first rate people, can't say enough about my peers
    Great projects
    - cutting edge details: lots of challenges and actually doing new things and a great place to learn

ConsLots to do
    - need more people: what we do with the team is amazing but we could develop faster with more people
    - always more do to than hours in the day

Advice to Senior ManagementThings keep getting better so good work. Hire more great problem solvers. Move soon to our newer bigger office so we have space for the new hires.

Working at the cutting edge of digital health

Palo Alto, CA

ProsHealthTap is a unique working environment. The company still thinks of itself as a startup, although it has been around for a few years and is one of the established companies working at the cutting edge of digital health. This mindset is reflected in how projects are initiated (anyone can promote a project), staffed (lean), and managed (hands on in the planning, hands off in the execution). The work environment is extremely collaborative and supportive (the best I've ever seen). Standards are very high, so quality is high. The location is great and perks are excellent (market compensation, equity with upside, lots of free food, full health benefits, etc.). Very strong culture and buy in from the team.

ConsThe workflow is consistently busy, so expect to have a lot to do most all of the time. The limits of a smaller team mean less specialization and less personal opt-in to the projects you work on until the headcount grows. Space is tight, but we are moving to a new office in downtown Palo Alto within a few months.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who seriously want to make a long term commitment to digital health and to HealthTap and who are motivated by the product, mission, culture and industry. Health is a hot space right now, so figure out who is looking for a career vs. just a job. Take more breaks / have more mid-term project milestone celebrations mid-project when doing a longer release.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great product and great people

Palo Alto, CA

ProsBuilding a great product and working with great people. Supportive coworkers. A lot of team spirit in the office. The company invites people to take initiative and suggest projects and ideas and changes for the product and for the company culture. The company regularly implements employee and user suggestions. Opportunity to work on something that will be big.

ConsThe team is still small so if you make a suggestion or run a project you need to own the results. Being efficient, good at prioritizing and proactive about what you need is important. It can be hard to find space in the office for meetings and calls and our current space is very full, but we are moving into a bigger office soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay open to evolving and changing with the input of the team as the company gets bigger. Feeling like your voice is heard and being able to make suggestions and changes is one of the best parts of the company culture.

Great learning environment and getting better all the time

(Current Employee)

ProsGreat learning environment
    Exciting product in development
    Company benefits package
    Meaningful work and meaningful product
    Lots of personal responsibility
    Lots of momentum the company will be very successful

ConsHigh technical bar makes it harder to hire
    Lots of responsibility means constant high expectations and constant work to do
    No telecommuting policy

Advice to Senior ManagementHire faster or consider bringing on contractors or short term help to assist with current needs
    Keep up the good work of celebrating the smaller milestones and the fun surprise office celebrations
    Thank you for encouraging more employee feedback and for acting on it

The personal perspective of a founding team member

Founding Team Member (Current Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsI’ve been with HealthTap from the start and witnessed every step of our tremendous growth, from our very first idea on a whiteboard, though building out our core team (some of whom followed our CEO Ron through two prior companies, and all of whom are still with HealthTap today), through outgrowing two offices, and through accomplishing some very significant milestones.

HealthTap has the greatest potential for success and positive human impact of any startup I know of today. I greatly admire the people who work here, strongly support our team and our leadership, and firmly believe that together we can become an immensely successful company while transforming the digital health space.

As part of the small group that wrote our Vision & Credo, which was created before the first line of our code. (Search online for "vision and credo" or look for it on the company website.) We take these values seriously, individually and as a company, and they are a living reflection of who we are. These values are also a living document: we discuss them at every team meeting, and revisit and refine them every year at our annual company-wide retreat.

I’m enthusiastic about these values not just because of what they say; I'm enthusiastic about them because they are reflected in my every-day experience at the company.

I experience them in the kindness and caring of how we interact with and treat each other. They are reflected in the collaboration that allows us to do an incredible amount with a small group, and in the commitment to quality that moves each of us to do excellent work. They are reflected in our open, positive, and passionate expression of opinions, which always remain focused on reaching the best outcomes. I feel them in the contagious attitude of positive energy throughout the company, and the drive to excel that encourages all here to challenge ourselves and each other. I sense them in our collective desire to create a real impact, and in the individual devotion my co-workers, who go above and beyond what’s required when they spend extra hours on evenings or weekends. Seeing this kind of caring, commitment and devotion from within is part of what makes us successful, and part of what inspires me to go the extra mile. I also experience our values in the prioritization of health and well-being, from company benefits (full insurance to daily catered healthy meals to in-office massages) to how the team encourages each other (from evening group outings to the gym to peer support and motivation in working to reach our personal health and wellness goals).

I’m excited to work in a company whose strong values are embodied not just in the “big things” we do, but in the little ones as well – the countless personal interactions I experience everyday. Working on tackling a big and important problem with a small team comes with unique challenges and significant rewards. It’s a pleasure to work with such smart, highly capable, fun-loving, and dedicated peers. It’s truly exciting to work in a company that’s growing so rapidly and making a positive impact every day. This is a great place for people who are innovative and ambitious, who are ready for an adventure of immense personal and professional growth, and who are committed to transforming a dream into a reality.

ConsThe immense opportunity and possibility of a growth stage startup come hand-in-hand with tremendous responsibility and accountability. At times, this can be intense and at times work can become all-consuming. Creating the new and learning as you go is an adventure and challenge best suited for those with resilience, a strong sense of commitment, and a deep desire to make it happen.

Laughter life and love

Palo Alto, CA

Pros* Lots of laughter life and love in the office...this is a special place
    * Amazing peer recognition at team meetings, fun awards
    * Great office location, free good meals, and Isaac (the nicest person you will ever work with)
    * Becoming a better place to work all the time with better people
    * Positive and inspiring on so many levels

Cons* Expectations are high so its up to you to manage them and your own workload
    * The commitment is not for everyone so there is some turnover
    * People often stay in for lunch and work a lot so socializing out of work is less frequent than at companies where everyone goes out at the same time

Advice to Senior ManagementPreserve the spirit of the company has we grow and keep improving

Amazing company

Online Marketing Analyst (Current Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsVery passionate and exceptionally talented team. Great product that profoundly impacts and saves people's lives. Fast paced innovation. Opportunities for growth. Close collaboration. Inspiring and experienced leadership. Fantastic office location. Delicious catered food. Fun events. Energizing environment.

ConsI am fortunate to have found a company that is a perfect fit for me. :)

Most brilliant, ambitious, passionate minds authentically committed to change the world in a very big way

Head of Product (Current Employee)

ProsThe People
    * A diverse set of top engineers, designers, JDs, MDs, MBAs, informatics specialists, data scientists, marketers, etc. It's not uncommon to find people who hold multiple graduate degrees from elite universities, have years or decades of domain expertise and experience, and bring to to the table a level of energy and commitment that is rare to find in individuals
    * People who are "mensches" -- truly good people who care for others, have a genuine kindness in their heart, and do things for the right reasons. These are the kind of people who strive to surround yourself with in life.
    * Very sharp, quick learning environment. I'd be shocked if even the smartest of people wouldn't be impressed with the caliber of intelligence around the office in your first week here. It's an honor to work amongst my colleagues!

The Mission
    * How much bigger does it get than trying to measurably prolong the life expectancy of humankind and aiming to serve billions worldwide live happier, healthier, longer lives? So few companies (perhaps with exceptions like Google and Facebook) have a vision as grandiose ingrained in their DNA and story since inception.
    * To be able to even save one life in the course of your career can justify anything you do with your work. To have received almost 13,000 notes from our members to date (at a rate of 40 or 50 a day at this point), expressing the sentiment that HealthTap saved their life or the life of a loved one is just an incredibly rewarding and fulfilling sentiment that keeps you motivated.

The Product
    * So few products in the world are universally useful for every human being on the planet in such a fundamental way. Whether you're an engineer in Palo Alto or farmer in rural India, everyone deals with their health and no one would ever refuse immediate and free access to top doctors and their expertise, any time, any where.
    * You get to create products for doctors and the mass consumer audience. We're essentially redefining a marketplace that has existed since the dawn of civilization

The Business Outlook
    * HealthTap has the potential to be one of the first and elite few trillion dollar market cap companies in the world with a userbase in the billions. The value generated for each customer in health care is several orders of magnitude more than selling targeted advertising or even electronic hardware. When HealthTap serves the global masses in health care, the value available for the company to capture will be at an enormous scale.
    * I would not underestimate the tremendous prospective value of the equity at HealthTap. This is the kind of company where an investment of time and money is likely to yield crazy returns.

ConsA company growing as quickly as HealthTap with the grandness of vision and opportunity available is undoubtedly one that requires a level of commitment, energy, and passion that is not for everyone at this stage of the company. At this stage of the company, there are more things to do than hours in the day. The first few hundred employees need to be committed to a long-term vision of what the team is trying to build and bring an intrinsic motivation and ambition to work every day. Working at HealthTap is one of the most rewarding career opportunities one can ever have, but also one that demands a level of accountability and time that are best suited for "missionary entrepreneurs" -- not those seeking just another job. These people need to be incredibly focused, organized, self-driven, and smart project managers who know how to manage their time and prioritize.

A product that will change the world!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsI love being inspired by our leadership and our mission, and also by what we’ve already built. HealthTap is a truly great product. I know this because I’m not just part of the team that builds it, but because I use it and it’s used by all of my close friends and family (and not because I told them to). If you haven’t tried it out you should. It’s incredible, and it’s just the start. Already we’ve built something that doctors love to use and that’s an invaluable resource for people as well. I have family overseas and they use it and they cannot believe they can connect with a US doctor and get answers for free. The same is true for my friends and family here in the U.S. As we continue to scale and improve what we’ve built, in my opinion widespread adoption of HealthTap by both consumers and doctors is inevitable. It’s only a matter of time.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to your standards and always improve the process of bringing in only the best people to join the team and improving the product.

Worked for HealthTap? Contribute to the Community!

HealthTap Videos

HealthTap – Why Work for Us?

Our mission We’re dedicated to improving people’s health and well-being by providing our users with personalized health informationand free online and mobile answers from thousands of the best doctors in the U.S. Our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HealthTap reviews and ratings in Palo Alto, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HealthTap CEO Ron Gutman. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by HealthTap employees.