HealthTap Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
3.4

HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

Pros
  • Great location, free food, we use Macs (in 6 reviews)

• The regular employees put in insane hours; everyone was upbeat and seemingly very dedicated to the company mission (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Management constantly stresses a sense of urgency for everything, all the time (in 4 reviews)

• Work / Life Balance - There is none (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Real positive change towards a great future

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I will blend pros and cons together:
    I’ve been with HealthTap for a while now, and I wanted to take a minute to write a review, because I think that there’s a very important positive transformation that happened over the past few months that is already felt very positively, and if continues, will make HealthTap as successful as Apple/Google are, if not even more (the size of the opportunity in transforming healthcare is unbelievable).

I’ve been following HeatlhTap almost from when it just started, first from the outside, then I applied, and then as an employee. I’ve seen the founding team working really hard to figure out first the product, then growth, and now the business model. At the same time, I’ve seen most of the other companies in digital health either going out of business or moving to providing services that are not really healthcare (office management software etc…) HealthTap continued to be true to its mission, has grown to be a leader in the field, and raised significant capital from some of the best investors in the world, and it has now helped hundreds of millions of people. Having said that, initially, these guys really worked around the clock. If you ask me if this is necessary, I don’t think it’s the case, but on the other hand, I did not ever built a company that has really changed the world (although now I’m participating in it.) Also, Ron, the CEO, although one of the smartest, most passionate and hard working CEO’s I’ve ever met, did not seem to give direct access to him to employees at all levels – which I think could have been handled better.

In the past few months, I’ve seen a big transformation in the company:
    • HealthTap moved to a new amazing office on University Avenue in Palo Alto
    • Benefits (dental/vision/food/funstuff) are some of the best I’ve ever seen.
    • Periodically successful speakers share their insights in company meetings
    • The CEO has started an open door policy (which I know people have already used), and he actually listens to what employees have suggested (some of the recent changes come from people I know talked with him about these).
    • The company has become much more transparent with data, and now it’s very clear to everyone where we are, and what are our shared and individuals goals – and this is really motivating!
    • Finally, everyone is now participating in both ideation and implementation of growth, and we’re already seeing great results (and people now see how their ideas/work contributes to the company’s success).
    • The bar for hiring has gone up and the interview process has become much more selective.

Cons

See above – but also, it’s still not your corporate 9-6 job. But hey, it’s a world changing startup and I could go back to my previous big company job if that’s what I was looking for (and to be honest, my previous company was a very nice place to work for, but quite boring). Also, the office is not in San Francisco (which could have been nice).

Continue the new trend of listening to employees - it’s a huge boost to morale, and you have very smart people who can help not only in getting things done, but also with ideas of what to do and how.

Also, add more creative outlets: I really like the “whiteboard” glass walls all across both floors. It’s really important to give people freedom to express themselves. Think about more ways to encourage creativity and self-expression.

Fun, exciting, challenging, meaningful

Current Employee - Growth Team Member in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Growth Team Member in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Doing something very meaningful
    * Working with amazing people
    * Changing the world (for real!)
    * Learning from experienced successful managers
    * Fun work environment - lots of perks and great location
    * Growing every day and helping millions of people

Cons

* Not easy to change healthcare
    * Don't have continued learning out of work
    * Healthcare is not gaming :)

* Offer reimbursement for classes out of work to help employees grow beyond their current knowledge.
    * Order more Chinese food in catered lunches

If you want to be treated like crap, this is the place

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at HealthTap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free Food
    Nice people mostly
    Good company mission

Cons

Long hours and abuse
    Culture of fear
    Six day weeks, most employees at work all hours
    You can't leave the office even for an hour, so looking for new job is hard
    Sense of urgency is confused with progress
    CEO gave Ted talk on power of smiling, which is strange since everyone is terrified like beaten puppies.

Do not recommend

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at HealthTap (more than an year)

Pros

Free food
    Office location
    Hard working workforce.

Cons

Pay and benefits are horrible.
    No work-life balance.
    Refer to advice to management section.

Reduce micromanagement & allow employees to do their job, in particular when lacking expertise in a given area (did the leadership team skip marketing classes in business school?)
    A more realistic estimation of how big of a workforce and the functional expertise required for what is undertaken at different stages is needed. Adding product managers will not bring additional functional expertise.
    Boat race analogy?
    Increase compensation/perks and improve how employees are treated to reduce outrageously high attrition rate.
    Hire experienced team members: accept learning from them, accept
    the fact that they are more expensive, that they might have a life outside of work and that occasionally they will disagree with you.
    Inexperienced employees are driven and less expensive but the lack of experience affects the quality of what is being delivered, even more so when being severely overworked. Attributing errors to employees not having an artisan mentality and threatening to call out underperformers publicly is ludicrous.
    Improve operations and communication.
    Consistency between values as announced on website and daily practices would make sense? Revise one or the other.
    Invest in your workforce's professional growth.

Missing strategic direction

I have been working at HealthTap

Pros

Lunch is delivered in office and you have $12 limit for ordering dinner from munchery if you choose to be in office until late which will be every day.

Cons

HealthTap did a very major release in July but with main feature of paid subscription flawed because of lack of vision. Pricing was screwed up. they tried to fix it by giving offers. Unfortunately the "great offer" price was more than the "regular price" for some people. The CEO kept saying not to worry about the price but he really showed what he is capable of. NOTHING.

Put your ego aside and listen to people in leadership role that you hire.

Great, Smart People, Stressful Culture

I worked at HealthTap

Pros

The reviews for healthtap are a bit schizophrenic; don't believe the people who say that everything is horrible and that everyone hates it. But also don't believe the people who say that working at Healthtap is a magical, wonderful, near-perfect experience. The reality is in the middle.

Pros:
    1. People are friendly. Very friendly. This isn't just lip-service or a cliche. I have worked at several places, and people here are by far the most positive and caring, despite the stress and demands they have to deal with day to day.
    2. People are also smart. While there is some turnover, the current employees are good at their jobs and smart people, who pretty much all attended top schools.
    3. The company is actually helping people with problems bigger than putting filters on their pictures. It is hard to overstate how important it is to allow people better access to healthcare and doctors. It literally does save lives and improves quality of life for many people.
    4. Probably going to be successful. Healthcare is very inefficient, and multiple someones will probably make money off of making it more efficient. Given Healthtap's large user base and its investors, it seems like the company has as good a chance as anyone at making that money.
    5. The new office is really,really nice. It is right on University Ave. and the upstairs has these great open windows and patios that look out on the street. Sometimes there is life music and you can go out and listen. Location wise, certainly one of the best offices in silicon valley.

Cons

Cons:
    1. People work all the time. Often, or at least occasionally on weekends. If I had to guess, I would say ~60 weeks are the norm. That might be overstating it, but it is well over 50 hours a week. To be fair, the company is growing, and from what I heard from older employees, the culture has improved over time. So, it may be the case that a year from now, work hours will be more reasonable.
    2. Upper management can be manipulative or at least condescending. Engineers make mistakes, especially if they are working too much and are on tight deadlines. Rather than accept personal blame and think about why the engineers didn't have enough time or help to do the job properly/perfectly, management seems to prefer to blame the engineers. Management needs to realize that the engineers are doing their best, and even more than that sometimes, and that if they don't like the results or progress they need to hire more people or give people more time. Scolding people is not a productive strategy and comes across as callous when people are working as hard as they do.
    3. Not enough process and too much fire drill-esque response to problems. Management constantly stresses a sense of urgency for everything, all the time. This means people are flying around reacting as fast as possible to problems as they occur, rather than deliberately planning ahead for the future and working at a more sustainable, pleasant pace. This is a good way to burn people out, and ultimately makes your workers less efficient, not more. As in 1, the company is growing and maturing, and I know this is an area they are working on, so maybe it won't be a problem a year from now.

See point #2 of the cons. I think you get an unduly bad-rap. From my experience, you are all very nice people who do genuinely care about the company and the employees. Sometimes, like anyone, you get frustrated and you want to push the company as far as you can as fast as you can. These are all understandable things. Still, it is important to realize that there is a limit to what people can do, and that pushing that limit is just going to make people unhappy and more likely to leave or make mistakes. It gets things done in the short terms, but hurts the company in the long term. Also, don't reprimand specific employees in front of large groups. It isn't nice.

Planning to be a "lifer" here!

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Driven, smart, fun to work with people in all roles. Strong experienced leadership, inspiring vision, great execution. Isaac's chocolate shop (within the company) is a legend. Everyone's so nice (but also very driven). The annual retreats are fun and great opportunity to understand other aspects of the company, and to get to know other employees well.

Cons

Only one annual retreat. No foosball, and no ping pong table!

Open an office in San Francisco, or start a shuttle like Google and Facebook!

Dumb and Dumber! WORST PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - Mobile/Front End Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Mobile/Front End Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Food....Did I mentioned the food is free?

Cons

1. CEO and Head of Product are complete idiots. They completely botched the product release. Pricing was way off, they were a complete joke on TV shows, and now nobody is signing up. I can't believe I wasted over a year working for these morons.

2. CEO says the company will be in business for the next 500 years. He'll be lucky to survive the next 500 days

3. The LIE on everything. Details of your offer, bonus, stock options, everything. Even told us no weekend work is required and are making everyone work on Sundays and even Public Holidays

4. Everyone is underpaid and overworked

5. Sinking ship with huge employee turnover. DO NOT JOIN this HealthTitanic

Why bother? You guys think you're smarter than everyone

Changing the world

Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My first ever truly mission driven company. Everyone is so excited about doing good and helping others (both users and other team members). The team is the best I've ever worked with. People are so smart and nice. Ron Gutman the CEO is a real leader. He will take the company public, and make it a huge global force. He spent 2 hours with me past midnight to talk about things that I wanted to share with him, and then went and improved things given the feedback I gave him. The new product is game changing and the new office is world class.

Cons

Working longer hours than in your typical 9-6 job.

Hire more people - changing the world requires work force in the size of Facebook and Google.

Worst Company in Bay Area

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Systems Architect) in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer (Systems Architect) in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company does provide food for employees. If you looking for place to slog and get food - this is it... other than that ... nothing really.

Cons

Fact #1 - All positive reviews on the site are written and posted by CEO himself.
    Fact #2 - There is no trust for employees and management. No product metrics are shared with them
    Fact #3 - Most employees start looking for job within 1 week of joining. 80% of workforce is < 3months.
    Fact #4 - Expected to work >70 hours/week without any appreciation or recognition (monitory or otherwise)

Change CEO asap.