HealthTap Reviews

Updated October 10, 2014
3.4

HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

Pros
  • Great location, free food, we use Macs (in 5 reviews)

• The regular employees put in insane hours; everyone was upbeat and seemingly very dedicated to the company mission (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Management constantly stresses a sense of urgency for everything, all the time (in 5 reviews)

• Work / Life Balance - There is none (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, exciting, challenging, meaningful

Current Employee - Growth Team Member in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Growth Team Member in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Doing something very meaningful
    * Working with amazing people
    * Changing the world (for real!)
    * Learning from experienced successful managers
    * Fun work environment - lots of perks and great location
    * Growing every day and helping millions of people

Cons

* Not easy to change healthcare
    * Don't have continued learning out of work
    * Healthcare is not gaming :)

* Offer reimbursement for classes out of work to help employees grow beyond their current knowledge.
    * Order more Chinese food in catered lunches

If you want to be treated like crap, this is the place

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at HealthTap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free Food
    Nice people mostly
    Good company mission

Cons

Long hours and abuse
    Culture of fear
    Six day weeks, most employees at work all hours
    You can't leave the office even for an hour, so looking for new job is hard
    Sense of urgency is confused with progress
    CEO gave Ted talk on power of smiling, which is strange since everyone is terrified like beaten puppies.

Soul Sucking

I worked at HealthTap (less than an year)

Pros

I'm hard pressed to come up with a pro... The compensation was good, but not enough considering how many hours you end up working for this company.

Cons

Please, please ignore the fake positive reviews if you're thinking of working here and do yourself a favor and google Ron Gutman and Wellsphere. Ron Gutman is a snakeoil salesman who'll try to get you to drink the HealthTap koolaid, then slowly poison you with it. He has a history of shady business practices and a reputation for treating his employees badly.

You'll work 6-7 days a week, at least 10 hour days, and be made to feel like you're working too slowly and not doing enough. You'll constantly be told to iterate and have a sense of urgency, but be given unclear instructions and goals. Be prepared to be told to present on what you're working on with no clear instruction for what to present and then to be yelled at by the CEO in front of the entire company for not having good enough results when no one seems to be clear on what the desired results are. This happens to everyone but a small select group who have been with the company from the beginning.

People quit every week, but then it's made to look like they were let go or they just weren't right for the company. But seriously, it's a revolving door. Having free food (which frankly isn't very good) and some chocolate on a shelf doesn't make up for having to work on the weekends and until late in the evening every week.

The product is bad. The engineering team is a mess. Serious bugs that were reported still weren't fixed, months after I reported them. Projects that were deemed hugely important and involved staying up until 2:00 in the morning for days in a row to finish because we needed to make some mystery deadline were never actually launched. This happened numerous times.

They also try to screw contractors and freelancers out of money, putting off paying them or trying to come up with arbitrary reasons not to pay them at all. So so shady.

After working at HealthTap for only a few months, I was so stressed I could barely sleep or eat. Whatever they offer you, it's not worth it.

Missing strategic direction

I have been working at HealthTap

Pros

Lunch is delivered in office and you have $12 limit for ordering dinner from munchery if you choose to be in office until late which will be every day.

Cons

HealthTap did a very major release in July but with main feature of paid subscription flawed because of lack of vision. Pricing was screwed up. they tried to fix it by giving offers. Unfortunately the "great offer" price was more than the "regular price" for some people. The CEO kept saying not to worry about the price but he really showed what he is capable of. NOTHING.

Put your ego aside and listen to people in leadership role that you hire.

Great, Smart People, Stressful Culture

I worked at HealthTap

Pros

The reviews for healthtap are a bit schizophrenic; don't believe the people who say that everything is horrible and that everyone hates it. But also don't believe the people who say that working at Healthtap is a magical, wonderful, near-perfect experience. The reality is in the middle.

Pros:
    1. People are friendly. Very friendly. This isn't just lip-service or a cliche. I have worked at several places, and people here are by far the most positive and caring, despite the stress and demands they have to deal with day to day.
    2. People are also smart. While there is some turnover, the current employees are good at their jobs and smart people, who pretty much all attended top schools.
    3. The company is actually helping people with problems bigger than putting filters on their pictures. It is hard to overstate how important it is to allow people better access to healthcare and doctors. It literally does save lives and improves quality of life for many people.
    4. Probably going to be successful. Healthcare is very inefficient, and multiple someones will probably make money off of making it more efficient. Given Healthtap's large user base and its investors, it seems like the company has as good a chance as anyone at making that money.
    5. The new office is really,really nice. It is right on University Ave. and the upstairs has these great open windows and patios that look out on the street. Sometimes there is life music and you can go out and listen. Location wise, certainly one of the best offices in silicon valley.

Cons

Cons:
    1. People work all the time. Often, or at least occasionally on weekends. If I had to guess, I would say ~60 weeks are the norm. That might be overstating it, but it is well over 50 hours a week. To be fair, the company is growing, and from what I heard from older employees, the culture has improved over time. So, it may be the case that a year from now, work hours will be more reasonable.
    2. Upper management can be manipulative or at least condescending. Engineers make mistakes, especially if they are working too much and are on tight deadlines. Rather than accept personal blame and think about why the engineers didn't have enough time or help to do the job properly/perfectly, management seems to prefer to blame the engineers. Management needs to realize that the engineers are doing their best, and even more than that sometimes, and that if they don't like the results or progress they need to hire more people or give people more time. Scolding people is not a productive strategy and comes across as callous when people are working as hard as they do.
    3. Not enough process and too much fire drill-esque response to problems. Management constantly stresses a sense of urgency for everything, all the time. This means people are flying around reacting as fast as possible to problems as they occur, rather than deliberately planning ahead for the future and working at a more sustainable, pleasant pace. This is a good way to burn people out, and ultimately makes your workers less efficient, not more. As in 1, the company is growing and maturing, and I know this is an area they are working on, so maybe it won't be a problem a year from now.

See point #2 of the cons. I think you get an unduly bad-rap. From my experience, you are all very nice people who do genuinely care about the company and the employees. Sometimes, like anyone, you get frustrated and you want to push the company as far as you can as fast as you can. These are all understandable things. Still, it is important to realize that there is a limit to what people can do, and that pushing that limit is just going to make people unhappy and more likely to leave or make mistakes. It gets things done in the short terms, but hurts the company in the long term. Also, don't reprimand specific employees in front of large groups. It isn't nice.

Planning to be a "lifer" here!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Driven, smart, fun to work with people in all roles. Strong experienced leadership, inspiring vision, great execution. Isaac's chocolate shop (within the company) is a legend. Everyone's so nice (but also very driven). The annual retreats are fun and great opportunity to understand other aspects of the company, and to get to know other employees well.

Cons

Only one annual retreat. No foosball, and no ping pong table!

Open an office in San Francisco, or start a shuttle like Google and Facebook!

Changing the world

Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My first ever truly mission driven company. Everyone is so excited about doing good and helping others (both users and other team members). The team is the best I've ever worked with. People are so smart and nice. Ron Gutman the CEO is a real leader. He will take the company public, and make it a huge global force. He spent 2 hours with me past midnight to talk about things that I wanted to share with him, and then went and improved things given the feedback I gave him. The new product is game changing and the new office is world class.

Cons

Working longer hours than in your typical 9-6 job.

Hire more people - changing the world requires work force in the size of Facebook and Google.

Dumb and Dumber! WORST PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - Mobile/Front End Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Mobile/Front End Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Food....Did I mentioned the food is free?

Cons

1. CEO and Head of Product are complete idiots. They completely botched the product release. Pricing was way off, they were a complete joke on TV shows, and now nobody is signing up. I can't believe I wasted over a year working for these morons.

2. CEO says the company will be in business for the next 500 years. He'll be lucky to survive the next 500 days

3. The LIE on everything. Details of your offer, bonus, stock options, everything. Even told us no weekend work is required and are making everyone work on Sundays and even Public Holidays

4. Everyone is underpaid and overworked

5. Sinking ship with huge employee turnover. DO NOT JOIN this HealthTitanic

Why bother? You guys think you're smarter than everyone

I have no doubt this company is going to transform society for generations!...

Current Employee - Front End Engineer/Mobile Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Engineer/Mobile Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am a frontend engineer here. The attention to detail, the heart, the care, and the passion that each team member puts into their work here, one pixel, one byte, one email, one phone call, at a time...is magical and rare. It's almost impossibly rare to bring together a critical mass of awesome people that buy in to a common mission and think this way. HealthTap has this. And for this reason, I will be writing code that saves lives here until however long I can.

Cons

You need to commit to this for the long term mission and vision. This is not at 9-5 "gig". It's a sense of purpose on your life. and you need to know that means. And you need to know what a rewarding feeling that really is! :)

Make sure the next 100 hires have the same "founders mentality" so that the next 10,000 employees can build a culture of a global organizational humankind can be proud of producing!

Everyone is highly driven and smart

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Systems Architect) in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer (Systems Architect) in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with some of the smartest, most passionate engineers
    Work on one of the best rated apps in healthcare
    Solve challenging problems everyday
    Make a real, positive impact on people's lives

Cons

If you are not ambitious an willing to work hard, this place is not for you. Only the highly confident, driven individuals thrive here

Maintain the high bar on hiring as you scale