HealthTap Reviews

Reset
4.1
HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

Pros
  • Pays the bills and good free food (in 9 reviews)

• a place to truly have the impacts to change the world, (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Management constantly stresses a sense of urgency for everything, all the time (in 5 reviews)

• Work / Life Balance - There is none (in 4 reviews)

One of the best startups

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a fast growing, cool start up in the peninsula, I can’t think of any company that is as good as HealthTap. The company is making waves in the health care space, so much that there are several companies that shamelessly copy the company. Great people, great technology, entrepreneurial culture. It is on the verge of take off. Join NOW, before it becomes a household name and you cannot get a big enough piece of the action.

Cons

The company is going through some growing pains. Moving too fast and trying to do too many things. Not everyone can handle this environment.

Advice to Management

Speed is not everything. Focus on Quality and Sustainability.

strong engineering-driven culture

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

as an engineer at healthtap, i appreciate the diversity of problems we get to own and manage — all of which are business critical and directly impact millions of users. very few projects don't touch the user. i'm surrounded by really competent engineers and it's definitely an immersive culture of learning by doing. the best part about our projects are that it's very easy to see the connection between our code to people's lives actually being helped.

Cons

as the company is scaling, processes are often being redefined and scaled, and there's work to be done there in making our sprints run more smoothly, but each each set of hires, we graduate in the right direction and i have confidence we'll get through those growing pains.

Advice to Management

i think there are a lot of strong BE engineers, but we need more mobile engineers because the client side teams are still a bit too lean.

3. Adventurers, yeah! - A great learning experience and a fun challenge

Current Employee - HealthTapper in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - HealthTapper in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap

Pros

• The people here are straight up awesome, very intelligent, so much fun, and really do want to help people.

• There are abundant learning opportunities and opportunities to grow as an individual.

• One may find some good tricky challenges ranging from the "minutiae" to global in scale; great for you if you like solving problems.

• Our office is super sweet and close to tasty coffee shops, Whole Foods, chocolatiers, restaurants, fun bars (including a mechanical bull), Stanford, live music in the evenings, and other good times in Palo Alto.

• I like the benefits like the gym membership, and people do enjoy high-quality meals and snacks provided.

• New.all.the.time! There is a lot of exciting innovation, and it is fun to be a part of that.

• Collaboration. There is still so much potential in the team, and we are finding ways to bring out the best in everyone here and inspiring people to bring out the best in themselves. We do best when we work together and communicate openly.

• Back to the people. People here ultimately care about others and especially about the HealthTap Team.

Cons

Sometimes, like most must do when reflecting on where they are and why, I wonder what my life would be like if I hadn't started at HealthTap. It has been a very good challenge, and it hasn't been "easy," but I would not trade this opportunity for anything. I realize there are going to be moments of frustration because we truly care about what we're doing and have accepted a great deal of responsibility. Given all that, I think I may understand the source of some of the negative sentiments in other reviews, although I still find them painful to read. At its core, HealthTap is about the people who are pushing themselves hard and sometimes to great extremes to do something positive in a new realm. Yes, there is always room for improvement; things can always be better; the grass is always greener: however you want to say it, I expect this to be the case everywhere, and that keeps things interesting and means there is always an opportunity to turn situations in a more positive direction. In doing so you get to have fun, learn a lot, help build something that can support and help a lot of people, and experience some moments of joy with incredible friends.

Advice to Management

When the team is happy, healthy, and challenged in the right ways, and we thrive.

Just letting you know that Healthtap forces people to post good things on glassdoor..

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

It's a cool product, it really is. I think that there is so much potential in the product itself. It's just not worth the company culture.

Cons

Ron is crazy. The entire team is working with fabricated data. They are all in it for the money and there is no transparency. It's really sad because there is so much potential for good with the product.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management except for CHANGE THE WAY you deal with things. Everybody knows the way that healthtap deals in the valley. Stanford students know, and you're never going to go places with the reputation that you have!

thought leader in the industry

Current Employee - Software Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part about working at HealthTap is how the brand is so strong in the industry, both tech and health care. As someone who came here from a larger tech company, I often get to chat with my former colleagues about where I work. And the more time I spend here, the more inbound requests I get for intros with others in the company and request to share more what it's like to work here. I definitely see an increasing trend in brand awareness and HealthTap's position as a thought leader.

Cons

I sometimes get asked to explain whether there's truth to some of the negative reviews posted here, which is annoying to deal with. But to be honest, I love working here and I think the nature of the work can be challenging giving the intense winning attitude of everyone and the intrinsic sense of urgency in all that we do, but it also is the kind of environment that attracts the kind of top talent that can grow large companies. I'm happy to be considered part of that founding group of employees.

Advice to Management

A bit random for me review, but I think new employees need a better on-boarding experience. A lot of people are welcome right into their teams and start working right away, which is good, but it would make the learning curve even easier if we had some kind of formal onboarding process. Perhaps we need to invest in more people in Recruiting/HR/People management to help streamline our process around interviewing and onboarding.

7. Great company with an amazing mission

I have been working at HealthTap

Pros

Cool product, food, gym membership, strong leadership team, AWESOME people to work with

Cons

You have to be passionate about your role and the product because it is long hours and a large commitment.

Awesome perks

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

* Walking distance to Caltrain
    * Motivating and Inspiring Team Meetings
    * Rewarding and fulfilling work and projects that leave you with a sense of real accomplishment every day and a personal sense of impact (actually, though)
    * Weekly massages on Fridays
    * Never pay for food! (breakfast, lunch, dinner) catered or present
    * Subsidized gym membership
    * Generous stock options in a company whose value is growing significantly every month

Cons

Usually work weekends, but also end up wanting to because of the intrinsic motivation behind the work!

Advice to Management

Let's close a big round and take this company to profitability so more people can benefit from working here!

Intriguing mission. Poorly executed and failing.

I worked at HealthTap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros. None. The purported pro is "change the world" (it does not) and the new office space, which must be on a loan or perhaps donated because the current monetization structure is poorly implemented and/or non existent. At any event, the noble cause and infusion of optimism quickly evaporates when you realize (a) the majority of American doctors do not condone HealthTap's online "treatment" paradigm (b) the marketing tactics are disgraceful (c) Ron is a certifiable psychopath. If there are limited providers or unsatisfied providers, there is no real product, as technology will only bring you so far to treating patients. (An existent profile does not count as an active user if it's never used). One cannot exist without the other. HealthTap lacks the provider element. The engineers are brilliant, but overworked. Everyone's exhausted and spends time rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship.

Cons

I might also add that there is absolutely no work/life balance. It's frowned upon to leave before 9pm, which is after coming in before 9am in the morning. I used to work Sundays too, which left one day off a week. The company spends a lot of time on how others perceive through email campaigns that fail, instead of actually LISTENING to the providers and patients. They take the good and dismiss the bad. It's a startup, understandably it's important to see a vision through the clutter; but as you forget who you're serving, you also leave responsibility and quality by the wayside. And sales is a one way door. Also, there is extremely high turnover. Everyone I know who used to work there left within a year. Many did not even keep HealthTap on their resumes; it's sort of an embarrassment to be honest. Bring your talent elsewhere. You owe it to yourself.

Advice to Management

Leave, or reorganize and try again, or both.

Don

I have been working at HealthTap

Pros

High intensity. Mostly good people.

Cons

Very low salaries – In negotiations they essentially guarantee a year bonus to off-set the low salary. Turns out what they really meant was that at a year you become "eligible" for a bonus. Sad part: no one we know of has ever received said bonus.

No one is at HealthTap for the money, but working the hours we do, the least we expect is honesty and respect. It does not feel good to be taken advantage of when we're supposed to be on the same team, working toward the same goal.

Advice to Management

Build a loyal team through honesty and transparency.

The Place to Change the World

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most energetic environment with super passion people around you and cover you.

Huge impacts from each engineer.

Great way to stretch yourself and learn faster!

Smart people.

Convenient location on the University Avenue.

Enjoyable environment.

Cons

Very competitive so you have to be very strong to enjoy!

Advice to Management

Bring in more awesome people and grow faster!

RSS Feed </> Embed