HealthTap Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.4

HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

Pros
  • Great location, free food, we use Macs (in 6 reviews)

• The regular employees put in insane hours; everyone was upbeat and seemingly very dedicated to the company mission (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Management constantly stresses a sense of urgency for everything, all the time (in 4 reviews)

• Work / Life Balance - There is none (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, exciting, challenging, meaningful

Current Employee - Growth Team Member in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Growth Team Member in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Doing something very meaningful
    * Working with amazing people
    * Changing the world (for real!)
    * Learning from experienced successful managers
    * Fun work environment - lots of perks and great location
    * Growing every day and helping millions of people

Cons

* Not easy to change healthcare
    * Don't have continued learning out of work
    * Healthcare is not gaming :)

* Offer reimbursement for classes out of work to help employees grow beyond their current knowledge.
    * Order more Chinese food in catered lunches

Planning to be a "lifer" here!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Driven, smart, fun to work with people in all roles. Strong experienced leadership, inspiring vision, great execution. Isaac's chocolate shop (within the company) is a legend. Everyone's so nice (but also very driven). The annual retreats are fun and great opportunity to understand other aspects of the company, and to get to know other employees well.

Cons

Only one annual retreat. No foosball, and no ping pong table!

Open an office in San Francisco, or start a shuttle like Google and Facebook!

Changing the world

Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My first ever truly mission driven company. Everyone is so excited about doing good and helping others (both users and other team members). The team is the best I've ever worked with. People are so smart and nice. Ron Gutman the CEO is a real leader. He will take the company public, and make it a huge global force. He spent 2 hours with me past midnight to talk about things that I wanted to share with him, and then went and improved things given the feedback I gave him. The new product is game changing and the new office is world class.

Cons

Working longer hours than in your typical 9-6 job.

Hire more people - changing the world requires work force in the size of Facebook and Google.

I have no doubt this company is going to transform society for generations!...

Current Employee - Front End Engineer/Mobile Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Engineer/Mobile Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am a frontend engineer here. The attention to detail, the heart, the care, and the passion that each team member puts into their work here, one pixel, one byte, one email, one phone call, at a time...is magical and rare. It's almost impossibly rare to bring together a critical mass of awesome people that buy in to a common mission and think this way. HealthTap has this. And for this reason, I will be writing code that saves lives here until however long I can.

Cons

You need to commit to this for the long term mission and vision. This is not at 9-5 "gig". It's a sense of purpose on your life. and you need to know that means. And you need to know what a rewarding feeling that really is! :)

Make sure the next 100 hires have the same "founders mentality" so that the next 10,000 employees can build a culture of a global organizational humankind can be proud of producing!

Everyone is highly driven and smart

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Systems Architect) in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer (Systems Architect) in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with some of the smartest, most passionate engineers
    Work on one of the best rated apps in healthcare
    Solve challenging problems everyday
    Make a real, positive impact on people's lives

Cons

If you are not ambitious an willing to work hard, this place is not for you. Only the highly confident, driven individuals thrive here

Maintain the high bar on hiring as you scale

Fun culture, hard work, big results

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

Strong culture of fun, hard work, and a drive to get things done. This is a very committed team who loves what they do. It is a great place to learn by doing (your plate will be very full and with a lot worth learning). Personally, the best compensation and benefits I've had at any job.

Cons

That pro about having a very full plate most of the time can feel like a con at times.

In office activities and parties and perks like massages are great -- add even more out of the office events (like the current sports league and the BBQs in the park)

Keeps getting better

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great perks
    - very good compensation / market salary and equity
    - excellent benefits like 100% of medical/dental/vision, catered lunch and Munchery dinner every day
    - great extras like massages, dinner, surprise parties, free gourmet chocolate
    Great people
    - first rate people, can't say enough about my peers
    Great projects
    - cutting edge details: lots of challenges and actually doing new things and a great place to learn

Cons

Lots to do
    - need more people: what we do with the team is amazing but we could develop faster with more people
    - always more do to than hours in the day

Things keep getting better so good work. Hire more great problem solvers. Move soon to our newer bigger office so we have space for the new hires.

Working at the cutting edge of digital health

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

HealthTap is a unique working environment. The company still thinks of itself as a startup, although it has been around for a few years and is one of the established companies working at the cutting edge of digital health. This mindset is reflected in how projects are initiated (anyone can promote a project), staffed (lean), and managed (hands on in the planning, hands off in the execution). The work environment is extremely collaborative and supportive (the best I've ever seen). Standards are very high, so quality is high. The location is great and perks are excellent (market compensation, equity with upside, lots of free food, full health benefits, etc.). Very strong culture and buy in from the team.

Cons

The workflow is consistently busy, so expect to have a lot to do most all of the time. The limits of a smaller team mean less specialization and less personal opt-in to the projects you work on until the headcount grows. Space is tight, but we are moving to a new office in downtown Palo Alto within a few months.

Hire people who seriously want to make a long term commitment to digital health and to HealthTap and who are motivated by the product, mission, culture and industry. Health is a hot space right now, so figure out who is looking for a career vs. just a job. Take more breaks / have more mid-term project milestone celebrations mid-project when doing a longer release.

Amazing company

Current Employee - Online Marketing Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Online Marketing Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very passionate and exceptionally talented team. Great product that profoundly impacts and saves people's lives. Fast paced innovation. Opportunities for growth. Close collaboration. Inspiring and experienced leadership. Fantastic office location. Delicious catered food. Fun events. Energizing environment.

Cons

I am fortunate to have found a company that is a perfect fit for me. :)

Great learning environment and getting better all the time

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

Great learning environment
    Exciting product in development
    Company benefits package
    Meaningful work and meaningful product
    Lots of personal responsibility
    Lots of momentum the company will be very successful

Cons

High technical bar makes it harder to hire
    Lots of responsibility means constant high expectations and constant work to do
    No telecommuting policy

Hire faster or consider bringing on contractors or short term help to assist with current needs
    Keep up the good work of celebrating the smaller milestones and the fun surprise office celebrations
    Thank you for encouraging more employee feedback and for acting on it