HealthTap

Updated August 16, 2014

3.8

HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

I have no doubt this company is going to transform society for generations!...

Current Employee - Front End Engineer/Mobile Developer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Engineer/Mobile Developer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

I am a frontend engineer here. The attention to detail, the heart, the care, and the passion that each team member puts into their work here, one pixel, one byte, one email, one phone call, at a time...is magical and rare. It's almost impossibly rare to bring together a critical mass of awesome people that buy in to a common mission and think this way. HealthTap has this. And for this reason, I will be writing code that saves lives here until however long I can.

Cons

You need to commit to this for the long term mission and vision. This is not at 9-5 "gig". It's a sense of purpose on your life. and you need to know that means. And you need to know what a rewarding feeling that really is! :)

Make sure the next 100 hires have the same "founders mentality" so that the next 10,000 employees can build a culture of a global organizational humankind can be proud of producing!

Pays 20%-30% below market wage

Current Employee - Android Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Android Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

The product helps people and does some good in the world.

Cons

The CEO is constantly trying to less the company and tell everyone how lucky the are to work there. It is also a revolving door of people constantly quitting, and you make way below the market compared to Angel List.

Pay people more, ship product faster and stop over working people so much.

Fun culture, hard work, big results

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Strong culture of fun, hard work, and a drive to get things done. This is a very committed team who loves what they do. It is a great place to learn by doing (your plate will be very full and with a lot worth learning). Personally, the best compensation and benefits I've had at any job.

Cons

That pro about having a very full plate most of the time can feel like a con at times.

In office activities and parties and perks like massages are great -- add even more out of the office events (like the current sports league and the BBQs in the park)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Keeps getting better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Great perks
    - very good compensation / market salary and equity
    - excellent benefits like 100% of medical/dental/vision, catered lunch and Munchery dinner every day
    - great extras like massages, dinner, surprise parties, free gourmet chocolate
    Great people
    - first rate people, can't say enough about my peers
    Great projects
    - cutting edge details: lots of challenges and actually doing new things and a great place to learn

Cons

Lots to do
    - need more people: what we do with the team is amazing but we could develop faster with more people
    - always more do to than hours in the day

Things keep getting better so good work. Hire more great problem solvers. Move soon to our newer bigger office so we have space for the new hires.

Low compensation and bad management

Current Employee - Mobile/Front End Developer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Mobile/Front End Developer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

The people are very nice, but the management sucks. A person leaves about every other week. In the short time I've worked there I've seen many people leave.

Cons

Worst CEO I have ever seen. I can't get across how bad the management team is. When the CEO is gone everyone in the office is happier.

Get a new CEO

Assured success

Pros

The quality and inspiration of the team and the potential of the company assure its success
    Could truly be the next big thing, so this is a great time to join
    Talented people who love working here and a great place for people who love what they do
    Great location, free food, we use Macs!

Cons

Constant fast pace means you need to pace yourself
    Efficiency is important and it's easy to get behind if you don't find your rhythm
    Great location but tight office space

Hire more managers who have experience in successful startup companies
    Hire managers and people who want to preserve the best parts of the company culture while making improvements as we grow

Working at the cutting edge of digital health

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

HealthTap is a unique working environment. The company still thinks of itself as a startup, although it has been around for a few years and is one of the established companies working at the cutting edge of digital health. This mindset is reflected in how projects are initiated (anyone can promote a project), staffed (lean), and managed (hands on in the planning, hands off in the execution). The work environment is extremely collaborative and supportive (the best I've ever seen). Standards are very high, so quality is high. The location is great and perks are excellent (market compensation, equity with upside, lots of free food, full health benefits, etc.). Very strong culture and buy in from the team.

Cons

The workflow is consistently busy, so expect to have a lot to do most all of the time. The limits of a smaller team mean less specialization and less personal opt-in to the projects you work on until the headcount grows. Space is tight, but we are moving to a new office in downtown Palo Alto within a few months.

Hire people who seriously want to make a long term commitment to digital health and to HealthTap and who are motivated by the product, mission, culture and industry. Health is a hot space right now, so figure out who is looking for a career vs. just a job. Take more breaks / have more mid-term project milestone celebrations mid-project when doing a longer release.

Very low compensation

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Systems Architect)  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer (Systems Architect) in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Close to home! And I like the people around me, just made a mistake to take the job. If they knew any better, they would be out of here in a heart beat.

Cons

Bought into the mission of the Company, but clearly something is wrong when the pay is so far below market. Ron Gutman is disingenuous (not smiling on this one, see his Ted talk). For a Company to raise so much money and pay such a pittance, it's embarrassing. Treating engineers like crap is just one manifestation why this start-up will likely not succeed.

Amazing company

Current Employee - Online Marketing Analyst  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Online Marketing Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Very passionate and exceptionally talented team. Great product that profoundly impacts and saves people's lives. Fast paced innovation. Opportunities for growth. Close collaboration. Inspiring and experienced leadership. Fantastic office location. Delicious catered food. Fun events. Energizing environment.

Cons

I am fortunate to have found a company that is a perfect fit for me. :)

Great learning environment and getting better all the time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Great learning environment
    Exciting product in development
    Company benefits package
    Meaningful work and meaningful product
    Lots of personal responsibility
    Lots of momentum the company will be very successful

Cons

High technical bar makes it harder to hire
    Lots of responsibility means constant high expectations and constant work to do
    No telecommuting policy

Hire faster or consider bringing on contractors or short term help to assist with current needs
    Keep up the good work of celebrating the smaller milestones and the fun surprise office celebrations
    Thank you for encouraging more employee feedback and for acting on it

Worked for HealthTap? Contribute to the Community!