HealthTap

Updated November 26, 2014
3.4

HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

Pros
  • Free food and other perks like chocolate and gym membership (in 9 reviews)

• a place to truly have the impacts to change the world, (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't get me wrong, there's still a "sense of urgency" about everything, it's just managed better (in 5 reviews)

• Work / Life Balance - There is none (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

THE place to build a healthy career

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The founders are very smart and driven. Their dedication is inspiring.
    Healthcare is a Great space to be in, now. It is ripe for disruption, and HealthTap is leading the disruption.
    Great investors.
    An environment that encourages you to eat healthy, work out regularly.
    Very friendly group of people

Cons

Location is not great. I wish it were in San Francisco
    While the bar for hiring is high, there are a few weak employees that made through

Be very stringent in hiring
    Allocate more time for research projects. You have very smart engineers. Give them 10% time to work in pet projects. Great things will come out of it.

One of the best

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing team (really, really incredible team)
    Fantastic product
    A culture of contstant improvement
    A team that cares a lot about what we do
    Actually doing good
    Lots of growth opportunities
    Excellent benefits

Cons

High standards help you excel, but can create constant pressure
    Fast pace means racing from one goal to the other

Build more time for reflection between goals or releases
    Hire more "lifers"

All you could desired on an awesome startup

Current Employee - Backend Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Backend Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Am young and ambition, so healthtap is perfect for me. Unlimited opportunities to change the world, my codes and features impact millions of users. The thanks (including live-saved) received everyday is the biggest reward I could expect.

Cons

This is not a really bad thing, but this is the place for dreamers to make the world a better place, rather than doers with routine 9 - 5 jobs, at least at this stage of the company.

Get more resources and grow the company to continue to change the world!

Mission and Data Driven

Current Employee - Growth and Data in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Growth and Data in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I’ve been with the company for a long time. I’m inspired by the good we’re doing in the world, and love the growth and innovation we’re experiencing. I also like that we’re we’ve become very data centric and results driven. It’s not enough to do GOOD – we need to also do WELL, and that requires deep data focus and growth orientation. I’m very happy that data skills and expertise are hired, and utilized heavily, and I enjoy participating in growing our bottom line every day. Not a lot of companies can brag that they can do both amazing things to help people AND succeed with the business – HealthTap can and that’s very cool.

I also like the people in my team. I’m supporting multiple teams and interact with people in all levels in the company. I can say with confidence that it’s great to work with everyone I’ve worked with, and that the management is very supportive and helpful too. In fact, this is the best management team and CEO I've ever worked for.

We also moved to a new office on University Avenue recently, and it’s an unbelievable office. These guys have really thought about everything, and made my life great and people here love it. Also very close to the train!

Cons

We still don’t have the data infrastructure that I see in large comoanies. These later stage larger companies have data infrastructure that makes it easier to work on big data, and we do have a lot of data now and deeper infrastructure will enable us to do amazing things.

Also, we don't have all the interns that we had from Stanford in the summer - there are fewer of them during the year.

Invest more time and resources in building deep data infrastructure. It's an investment that will get the company big reurns in the future.
    Also, bring more interns during the year too. They are great and are both helpful and add a ton of great energy to the office.

it is flying

Current Employee - engrs in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - engrs in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

a place to truly have the impacts to change the world,
    high energy,
    a lot of funs,
    group of awesome ppl who believe its mission,
    core product is amazing helpful and valuable,
    engrs are strong,
    on the wave of newest and sexiest technologies,
    inspired by great hearts of doctors,
    positive culture,
    open communications,

Cons

the bar here is very high so you have to be very self-motivated and grow yourself in a fast way.

more focus, more recognition, faster development,

Poor management, megalomaniac CEO, ridiculous work hours

I worked at HealthTap

Pros

As it's been mentioned, there are some phenomenal people working at HealthTap who are very kind, enthusiastic, and idealistic. But idealism and enthusiasm will only carry you for so long when the management is extremely poor, the product is bad, and the work expectations are ridiculous.

Cons

Just to be clear, I wasn't asked to leave HealthTap. I'm ambitious, I want to do something meaningful, I graduated from a top school, am a very hard worker, and was very qualified to do my job. All the writers in the (fake?) 5-star reviews who say those who complain about HealthTap just weren't a good fit or are haters or aren't ambitious are really wrong.

Those of us who quit HealthTap started out very excited about the mission. And willing to work long hours. But seriously, you can only work until 2 am so many times before you can't do it anymore. And on the weekends. It's not necessary to work this many hours to build a phenomenal product. But what you need is strong team leadership and a solid product.

HealthTap has neither. As has been stated, a sense of urgency is stressed constantly, which really just results in a lot of people running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I was made to work until the middle of the night days in a row when I was sick and on days I had asked to take off to rush out projects deemed absolutely necessary. Which were then NEVER launched. This happened numerous times.

Bugs were reported and never fixed. But new ideas and new projects kept getting pushed without the structure built underneath them to support them or any real rationale why they needed to be launched in the first place. They just sounded fancy. No project can get pushed through without the CEO personally looking at it, which basically means it doesn't get pushed through. Or if it does, you'll be waiting for it all day, then get an email at midnight telling you it's finally approved and you have to send it through right now. But wait, the engineers needed to launch it are in India and they're asleep anyway. So you need to stay up and constantly send them emails and badger them until they launch it. Except they'll then have no idea what project you're talking about, or simply just refuse to do it. So then that project will get shelved, along with everything else that was deemed essential and necessary to work through the weekend on.

So those of us who quit just got tired of hearing about how important the work we're doing is, but really never seeing any results. And being called out publicly in meetings in front of the entire company. Seriously, who does that? And maybe we just didn't want to sit through multiple "team" meetings a week that are really just an excuse for the CEO to stand in front of the room and talk at everyone for over an hour, telling the same pointless stories that are all about him and how important he is, but meaningless to the success of the company.

People with golden hearts and authenticity for doing good in the world

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

What are the qualities of a HealthTapper?

It's not just enough to be exceptionally educated, experienced, and skilled at your trade

You also need to be a missionary and not a mercenary. You need to take your work with a sense of duty and social responsibility to spread a service the world needs that is bigger than any one of us

You need to be SUPER ambitious.

You need to be a true athlete in every sense of the word. You need to revel in the challenge of accomplishing things that most other people can't. You need to constantly strive to improve yourself and do better. You need to have a healthy sense of competition and urgency and strength and perseverance.

You need to have a kind and caring heart and genuinely care about tending to your neighbor, your user, your coworker, etc.

Startups are challenging and hypergrowth companies are challenging. At HealthTap you have both. So you need to be resilient through the highs and lows of the journey.

Does everyone meet that very high bar? No. Few people do.

Is it extremely hard to find these kinds of people? Absolutely.

But when you create a core team with these traits, you have a small group of people with which even the hardest problems are solvable. Even the possible becomes possible. And the passion creates magic and innovation that is very hard for any other company or team to reproduce.

That's what HealthTap is creating it's just one of the most incredible group of people I've ever had the privilege to work with.

Cons

I've read some of these reviews on Glassdoor and I honestly have no clue where some of this criticism is coming from. It's either disgruntled ex-employees who didn't find themselves a fit for the company or external critics.

I've been with the company for a few years now and I've seen faces come and go. And every single employee at HealthTap is such a gem of a person in terms of kindness and caring.

Some people have come and gone -- but I truly feel most times its been due to a lack of performance or cultural fit. We're learning as we go and as the team continues to grow, our hit rate of bringing in exceptional talent is getting better and better over time.

Haters gonna hate. If you're a HealthTapper, you stay focused on the positive and stay true to your mission and keep on going. The world needs us. And if this stuff was easy, everyone would do it

Learn from hiring mistakes. Never compromise the bar of the kind of people we hire and we will be one of the most successful companies in the world -- no doubt.

Immature leadership, no business model

I worked at HealthTap

Pros

- free food - lunch and dinner
    -great location in heart of Palo Alto downtown
    - accessible to Caltrain
    - Palo Alto downtown has great restaurants

Cons

Ron is verbally abusive and if you work at HealthTap you will be facing that. There are team meetings every week and town halls every week that is basically an excuse for Ron to talk for atleast two hours and telling everyone how great he is. Imagine he did that at 10:00pm in the night when a major release was to happen at 6:00am the following day and everyone was required to attend it no exceptions. I could not think of one reason why any CEO would do that. It was of no use when we were trying to solve all issues that were happening. Next day Ron made sure that people did not go home instead stayed in office. One person was there for 2 whole days before he collapsed. He was asked to take Uber and was not refunded. Everyone is office were asked to use their credit card to subscribe to service for testing and not everyone was refunded. Which company lies blatantly to its employees that they will be refunded and they dont. Personally, if Ron did not act like a dictator this company would do much better.

When CEO starts damaging the company, it is time for him to leave.

Horrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pays the bills and good free food.

Cons

A climate of fear. The CEO is manipulative and verbally abusive. The expectations to work into the night and on Sundays are absolutely absurd and unnecessary. No one drinks the kool aid about culture and changing the world; it's scam to justify running employees into the ground. The turn over rate is insane and shady. Based on my experience working there, I wouldn't be surprised if the only positive reviews I see written here were written by management.

Fire the CEO.

Motivating mission, practical hardships.

I worked at HealthTap

Pros

- Amazing mission. You believe you are saving lives and changing the world. Ron Gutman will tell you every day. This is very important and why I gave Healthtap 3 stars despite the many cons.
    - Supporting people. Everyone is friends. Everyone is motivated, so you're motivated too. You WANT to work the long hours. Unless you burnout, which is likely.
    - great community among employees, fueled by a shared mission and extracurricular events like a sports league.
    - Great office and location.
    - Free food and other perks like chocolate and gym membership.

Cons

Despite the awesome product and work environment, HealthTap has an incredibly high turnover rate, especially for engineers. These cons will help you realize why:

- ridiculously high time commitment. HealthTap is expected to be your LIFE. Everyone is there at 9:30AM until late in the evening. I was praised for working 12-14 hours per day. I think at some point Ron said, "I don't need a family because HealthTap is my family", as if expecting everyone to feel the same.
    - low compensation. When you consider that I worked 70 hours a week, I made about $12/hour as an engineering intern, about half the going rate. Partially my fault because I didn't negotiate. A coworker had been granted a second internship even though she was actually full-time because HealthTap didn't want to give her benefits.
    - company may tank soon. The business model is unlikely to be successful.
    - codebase is quite messy
    - constant state of urgency/panic/reaction to crises - You will think "This is crunch time, that's why I'm here until midnight", but in reality it is always crunch time.
    - a lot of strong personalities (cough*ron*cough) who are often in conflict behind the scenes.

- Stop being hypocritical about the work/life balance issue, and DO something to discourage employees from working more than 50 hours per week. While doing this, try to hold on to the awesome sense of motivation toward the mission that keeps people working hard.
    - Stop taking pride in a "Sense of urgency". If you want to be a company for 500 years, you need to be stable and not always panicking.
    - Consider running ads or doing something to make the product profitable.
    - ABSOLUTELY get rid of the "no offer until you accept it" hiring policy.
    - Match compensation to the market level and amount of effort employees are putting in.