Healthcare Scouts

Updated October 11, 2014
Updated October 11, 2014
3.4

CJ Rodriguez

RUN, RUN, RUN! IF...you just want $35K, want to hide behind everyone else's success and want a free ride!

I have been working at Healthcare Scouts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

These poor reviews are a joke and probably come from people who couldn't handle being part of a winning team that actually holds you accountable. The company is set up for producers and team players NOT slackers. Get over yourself and move on to your next average job where I'm sure you will continue to be average at best. Everything is explained up front several times about expectations, training, culture and more. If you don't work you won't last period. There's no secret in this and there's nothing wrong with this. Some people might find it harsh but I appreciate that the CEO Don Langmo and COO CJ Rodriguez weed out these people. They put in a new Director of Recruiting, Christy Byrd who is great too! They gave me and many others who didn't have experience a chance to learn recruiting and make a good career. Yes, I have seen turnover but why would a smart company want to hold on to unproductive people and why would YOU want to stay somewhere that you don't like. I don't appreciate people who come in and are okay making $35K and want to complain that their feelings are hurt because they can't handle a REAL conversation. To the reviewer who "cant wait to find another job"... you are EXACTLY why I appreciate the CEO & COO. Stop trying to slam a good company, quit and let us who are here for a real career and to help people actually do it. I believe the good reviews are REAL!!! I'm a current employee and I DO approve of the COO, CJ Rodriguez. I've met some really great people here that have become my friends. There are a LOT of perks:

- Advancement (not based on favoritism but on actual PRODUCTION!)
    - Good base slary + excellent commission
    - M-F 8am - 5pm (I've only had to work OT once but they DO pay for OT) and it's never on weekends AND they are flexible if you have kids, school, etc.
    - Good benefits
    - PTO
    - Company trips
    - Car incentive program
    - Award & recognition
    - Team outings
    - Potluck luncheons
    - Training (Lots of it!)
    - AND MORE!

Cons

NONE, none, none. Just do your job.

Keep up EVERYTHING you are doing! I have goals and don't want someone coming in working on my team orders and not doing a good job. This takes money away from me and others here to make a great living and career.

Ruthless and cutthroat. Do not even consider applying unless you only want to be employed for 6-8 months.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Healthcare Scouts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They provide a good training program

Cons

Where do I begin. The CEO and COO Don Langmo and CJ Rodriguez are ruthless they have a successful model set up where they make lots of money and every employee is dispensable. They do not invest in their employees nor care if they retain them or not. Bottom line you don't make them money you're gone. No questions asked. 2-3 employees get fired on average every month. I promise you every positive review you have read on the company is false and written by the company.

Take time to invest and retain your employees.

Hard Work is Appreciated and Noticed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Healthcare Scouts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Atmosphere
    People willing to help and train
    Great bonus and incentive programs
    Company Culture
    Recognition/Promotions for working hard
    It breaks my heart to read the review below. It says a lot when people cannot see the bigger picture of where they work. Everyone has choices, choose to work hard and succeed and there is no negative outcome. If you choose not to contribute and take things seriously then there are consequences. This is true at ANY company. HCS is a professional atmosphere and promotes a team environment. As a note, the Not to Compete that the other reviewers mentioned DOES NOT keep you from recruiting in healthcare, get the facts straight.

Cons

No definitive con, maybe a richer health plan and 401k match

High-Stress, Low Return of Investment

Former Employee - Recruiter in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Healthcare Scouts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is not a lot to say "pro" about this company, unfortunately. Other than copious amounts of coffee that you can consume.

Cons

Where to start, top-down, or bottom-up? Top. The CEO and COO have one thing on their mind: making money, and they don't care who they are running over to do it, If you aren't making money or kissing up to them or others, you aren't of value, your opinions don't matter, and you are completely replaceable. They sell you on how great this company is in your first couple weeks of training, and the hammer comes down the SECOND you are not on your "A" game. You will have mandatory overtime (how they can make it mandatory is beyond me), and you only get half-time pay; not the time and a half. If you leave the company, whether involuntary or voluntary, you forego ANY commissions that you earned (which I'm not sure how that works as well). You will be required to sign a non-compete that indicates if you leave for any reason you will not be able to work in healthcare for 2 years (which will NEVER hold up in court by the way, because you cannot legally limit someone on their opportunity to gain an income- so, Scouts good luck with that lawsuit when it comes down the pipeline, it's only a matter of time). Promotions are not based off of work ethic or production, they are based on how much you kiss up to the COO. Favoritism is the name of the game if you want to be "successful" at HCS. If you want to work for a quality company, this is not going to be it. The turnover rate is about 2-4 employees a month due to people quitting or being fired. And you can kiss any type of employment claim goodbye, because that isn't going to happen. The company culture is bred off of fear, anxiety, and resentment. The CEO likes to tell you that "this generation" is all about accepting handouts, "what's in it for me" mentality - which is the same philosophy you will find of the COO and CEO, and entitlement. I'm glad I got out when I did, because if I wanted to work for terrorists and communists, I would go live in the Middle East.

Stop with the favoritism, condescending attitudes, "holier than thou" mentality, and insincerity. Truly invest in your workers and you may have a better outcome rather than the over 70% turnover you are seeing. QUALITY will always win out over QUANTITY.

Unstable company that will probably implode soon if they don't change literally everything about how they operate.

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Healthcare Scouts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- M-F 8-5 schedule
    - Lot's of coffee/tea readily available for employees
    - 1 hour lunch break
    - Recruiter base salary is better than most other recruiting firms in Orlando ($35K)
    - Company car incentive (if you manage to stay here long enough without being fired or quitting due frustration)
    - The benefits are good (again, if you can stay there long enough to qualify)
    -2 week training program is really thorough and informative. Training manager genuinely wants to see you be successful.

Cons

Everything, just everything. This is a classic "churn and burn" company that goes out of their way to remind their employees how expendable they are, and if you have a problem with it, they're happy to fire you too. The COO and the CEO are a match made in heaven: their number one concern seems to be protecting their paycheck. If that becomes endangered, definitely expect to see employee "transition" and implementation of policies intended to make you fear for your job in an effort to boost productivity. In my experience here, this is a company whose motivation strategy is fear, intimidation and bullying. Yes, recruiting is a sales position, and any sales field naturally comes with a notable amount of turnover, but at least 2-4 get fired per month at Healthcare Scouts. Every Friday, recruiters come in and wonder if it is THEIR job that will be lost that day if they've had a rough 2-3 weeks in productivity. Sales goals are actually attainable if you're able to quickly pick up the tricky business of recruiting, but the pressure and condescension coming from management is unbearable to live with regardless. You spend more time worrying about keeping your job than actually doing your job. If you're not one of those that can pick it up almost immediately and fall below initial standards, expect to be subject to intense scrutiny and criticism, and then termination if immediate improvement is not exhibited. This company will tell you that they are growing---don't let them fool you. If you are contacted by this company for prospective employment opportunities, hang up the phone. It is their job to make you want to work there, because they make money off of you. The only reason they maintain adequate staff levels is because they have to constantly hire to backfill as many people as they fire or who quit per month...aka revolving door company. The interview process and new-hire training are enticing and designed to excite you, and the COO seems very charismatic during this process. Sadly, reality hits you very quickly once you are out on the recruiting floor after the training period, that this place is not at all what it seems and that you've been played.

Additional points:
    -you won't receive any bonus for 60-90 days after you place a candidate due to company policies, and if you quit/get fired, they are not obligated to pay you for outstanding commissions
    -overtime pay is not time and a half
    -There is a non-compete clause that you sign, so if you decide you DO actually like healthcare recruiting (the job itself is interesting and rewarding), and just want to leave this place to try it out with a better firm, you're unable to do so
    -CEO goes off on random and awkward tangents about how he thinks that we are all part of the "trophy" and "entitlement" generation, and that you won't get any praise from him for success because he doesn't believe that he needs to congratulate you for doing your job...very uncomfortable and demoralizing to those work hard.

Enjoy watching your company inch closer and closer to falling apart completely as you continue to embrace a revolving door environment, intimidation-based motivation, and consistently reminding your employees that they are expendable and mean nothing to you other than potential profit. Wise words to consider, from whom I can only assume was a CEO highly successful, financially stable company with much better Glass Door ratings: "happy employees, are productive employees."

Nothing short of a nightmare company..Don't believe the false positive reviews.

I have been working at Healthcare Scouts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There really is not many, other than being employed and not working at McDonalds.

Cons

Too much to list but to summarize: A revolving door, back-stabbing culture, favoritism, poor leadership, and just the most tedious, boring work anyone could possibly ask for. Do not believe the false positive reviews that make this company seem so great. I do not approve of the COO CJ, and the way the business is run, and cannot wait to find a new job to get out of this place.

Bring in completely new leadership, quit the revolving door mentality, actually INVEST in your employees and their satisfaction, increase ramp period, and DON'T PLAY FAVORITES!!

Healthcare Scouts Response

Oct 7, 2014COO

Thank you for the continued feedback. We strive to create and protect a positive and performance driven culture as our clients and candidates rely on our professional team members to deliver high ... More

Impressed with their interview process!

I have been working at Healthcare Scouts

Pros

I found their corporate recruiter to be extremely professional in his approach with me. I was at my previous employer for a few years and wasn't looking for a change. His persistence had me engaged. When I spoke with him initially he had done his research on me and defined specifically why he felt my skills and background would be a good partnership. I initially had a phone screen then in-person with the Recruiting Director. I continued to do my research on HealthCare Scouts and discovered it was a solid company with a good reputation. My next interview step was another phone screen with the COO who have me more details about the growth and long-term goals of the company. I came in for a work day which lasted 1/2 day where I was introduced to the team, toured the office and had some one-on-on time with a sales rep, recruiter and met the COO in person. Their process was thorough but I appreciated the time they took before making a hiring decision.

Cons

Interview process may seem a bit lengthy but they move swiftly. I was done with the entire process and offered a position (which I accepted) in less than 2 weeks. I was unsure about the work day and calling candidates with limited knowledge about the positions or company but they set it up in a very easy format that keeps the calls conversational. I enjoyed speaking to the candidates and being able to see the office energy in a live setting. It was the best interview experiences I've had.

Love It!!

Current Employee - National Recruiting Manager in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Healthcare Scouts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best company I've ever worked for when it comes to earning opportunities, rewards, training & leadership! All are excellent and every part of the team is set up to succeed. They are very transparent about expectations and you know exactly where your growth and performance should be for the first year! I can't say I've ever experienced that with my other employers. Fun place to work with lots of team building going on. Be ready to work and be motivated by competition. My peers are awesome and keep me at my best.

Cons

None. This isn't a company for the weak hearted. It's a professional environment where you are constantly challenged (in a good way) to give your best everyday. They really care about their candidates and clients as well as us as employee.

Keep it up! Thanks for making this a great company to work for!!!

If you are money-motivated, this is the where you want to work.

Current Employee - Recruiter in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Healthcare Scouts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Two weeks of hands-on training and plenty of manager/leadership support. Great Benefits, strong base salary to get you started, awesome atmosphere. Great incentives beyond commission (car incentive, annual trips, beach condo, etc).

Cons

If you don't like sales goals or working productively for a full 8 hours a day, then I guess you could say that's a con. It is made plain and simple during the hiring process that it is a results-driven employment. Work hard, stick with it and the rest is simple.

Nerve Wrecking

I have been working at Healthcare Scouts

Pros

Starting Salary is good, They can be encouraging at times and the coffee is plentiful

Cons

High Turnover is an understatement, Nearly 2 people are fired every week, Constantly making phone calls, management breathing down your neck , They have been around since 2008 and have 1 person there since 2009, maybe 7 since 2012. Very boring and tedious work.

Relax, Lower the Demands and focus on quality rather than quantity

Healthcare Scouts Response

Sep 13, 2014COO

Our goal is to ensure that all of our employees are well taken care of and have a positive experience with HealthCare Scouts. Turnover is inevitable in a production based environment where the cost ... More