Healthcare Services Group

Healthcare Services Group Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Healthcare Services Group Chairman and CEO Daniel P. McCartney

Daniel P. McCartney

Pros:
  • "The company doubles in size every 5-7 years and is constantly providing new opportunities for hard working, customer service oriented people"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Upper management (regional, district managers, VP) are very supportive and want to see hard workers succeed"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours and overnight shift, even when you are told that isn't in your job description when you were hired"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Broken Promises, Management Development, Upper Management not qualified just tenured"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Worked there for a year, was very so-so

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDefinitely a job that pushes you to be your best. Need to learn multiple different roles and blend them into one. Challenges you every day and teaches you a ton.

ConsScrubbing floors in a shirt and tie

Avalon was able to choose my fate

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThe upper management I had were great. Always there when I had questions.

ConsAvalon was able to choose my fate. When my building manager for Avalon wanted to have me fired for a misunderstanding not only did Iget asked to move to another building but my wages were cut. My wages were cut and I couldnt afford to work for a company that couldnt give me what my ccontract was originally. I dont believe another manager outside the company should have a say on your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop letting other managers from Avalon control the fate of your employees.

You get out what you put in.

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMeeting all types of people.

ConsLong hours sometimes. Can be tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe organized or you will fail. Always listen to the customer. Accept some bad attitudes sometimes from front line staff, not everyone is management material.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible upper Management

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Corpus Christi, TX

ProsGreat people working in the trenches.

ConsUpper management micro manages everything you do. For being a billion dollar company , everything is still faxed. No information given on new contracts at new facilities. No support structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to change your good o'boy network. Some region managers shouldn't be in that position.

would not recommend

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible shifts depending on the manager. staff was like a family in the places i worked in, with the exception of upper management.

ConsSome mid to upper level managers would belittle and degrade employees to the point the employee was visibly upset or crying. a few instances of sexual harassment from upper management. long hours, low pay, disrespectful and stressful overall experience.

Absolute Joke of a Company.

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAfter a couple years with the company I was able to make an above average salary

ConsWhere do I start?! In all honesty, I had never experienced a company like HSG. As account managers, we would get emails saying to cut labor hours and were also told to keep it a secret! The email specifically said to not discuss cutting the hours with anyone-including fellow managers.
    So basically, the contract would say that HSG would give the facility, say, 1000 labor hours, but as managers we were told to not go above 960!
    The benefits are a joke! Roughly $350-$400/check for a family medical plan.
    In 4 years, neither myself, nor any other manager that I knew, was once shown any form of gratitude, ALL you hear is negativity and details about all the things your doing wrong.
    The DM's usually are in their mid 20's and they must have been beaten up a lot in school, because now they feel like they hate a little power and they're some of the most arrogant people I've ever met in my life.
    Obviously, I've gone on quite a rant, but I honestly would not wish this job on my worst enemy-believe me, it's THAT BAD!!

Advice to Senior ManagementAbsolutely no point in giving advice, upper management has never shown an ounce of humility-how dare us give them advice!

Healthcare Services Group has been good to me

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFlexibility, entrepreneurial spirited, hard work is rewarded, sky is the limit if you have talent, the cream rises to the top fast

ConsSometimes its a grind, sometimes pay doesn't equal the work

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is vital to success

Slimy Company to Work For

Housekeeping/Laundry (Former Employee)

ProsI worked in housekeeping and actually loved my job, my co-workers, and the residents.

I worked in a union building; therefore there was very little that this company could get away with, even though they tried. LOL

ConsIf it were not for the manager that HCSG had in our buliding (I forget the title of that manager, but the lowest on the totem pole, the manager that was in our building everyday), I never would have gotten my raise, never would have been paid overtime, never would have been paid my ETO time, because upper management tried earnestly to withhold all of that. (It will be on the next pay, next pay, next pay, was the mantra).

At one point, we had a district manager that consistently wouldn't even order enough cleaning supplies and paper towels! Paper towels! Anyone that works in a nursing home knows that hand washing is constant and critical!

And then all the higher ups would come in weekly or bi-weekly in their suits, looking like they were going to a funeral, and had the nerve to complain about our quality of work, after not giving us the tools we needed to perform our jobs. Kind of reminded me of that story of Pharoah taking away what the slaves needed to to their jobs, while requiring more. (If you don't like seeing a ring in the dang toilet, get some toilet cleaner. Problem solved!)

From what I observed, it seemed the manager that was put in our building in order to be the scapegoat for upper management. Very sad to watch. Not only that, but our manager was required to work all day, and then come in at night and do what they called "projects", which would be another full shift of stripping and waxing floors, at a moments notice.

Anyway, this company was so slimy from the little that I saw when I worked for them, that one day I started looking for reviews about this company, and read something about a class action lawsuit against this company. I would say good luck to them, because they don't treat their employees very well. It's because if companies like this, that we have unions today, and honestly, until I worked for this company, I was not pro union at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the word integrity and incorporate it into your company. If that is problematic, then you'll probably learn the word karma.

Just ok.

Sacramento, CA

ProsLots of potential for growth, good starting pay. You will move up fast if you put the work in.

ConsYou have to train yourself. They are all about making money for the company. Upper management ride you on cutting hours from the buildings but still want to keep clients happy which makes no since. They don't care about the workers who are the ones actually doing the ground floor work. They don't pay the lower employees anything. and barley give raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to always make your bonus.

Terrible

Denver, CO

ProsNot too many - except the people i worked with

ConsToo Many to list - Especially Managaement...

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a Clue - Treat people like humans and not underpaid work machines

Worked for Healthcare Services Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Healthcare Services Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Healthcare Services Group CEO Daniel P. McCartney. All 129 reviews posted anonymously by Healthcare Services Group employees.