Healthcare Services Group

Updated October 20, 2014
2.1

Healthcare Services Group Chairman and CEO Daniel P. McCartney
Daniel P. McCartney

Pros
  • The company doubles in size every 5-7 years and is constantly providing new opportunities for hard working, customer service oriented people (in 10 reviews)

• staff was like a family in the places i worked in, with the exception of upper management (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Broken Promises, Management Development, Upper Management not qualified just tenured (in 24 reviews)

• long hours, low pay, disrespectful and stressful overall experience (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Treat their employees poorly.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Healthcare Services Group

Pros

I can not think of any unless you like to be micro managed.

Cons

Very low pay and poor upper leadership.

Treat your employees better. Allow your management team to manage without constantly micro-managing.

Strangest work environment yet.

Current Employee - Cook
    Current Employee - Cook

I have been working at Healthcare Services Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoy improving the quality of life for long term care residents by doing the very best with what I have available to provide a tasty, nutritious meal for them. Managers have been caring and do the best they can under the circumstances.

Cons

Very little training (I trained myself by asking lots of questions and using my own common sense and experience). Essential supplies are hard to come by, including safety items and cleaning supplies. Management is constantly changing. Pay is lower than average, so it is hard to retain good kitchen staff(the good employees tend to move on to where the money is). Too many corners cut.

Give your kitchen staff what they need to do their jobs!

Cold Hearted Mediocre Company

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Healthcare Services Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed working with long term and rehab residents in nursing homes. Was able to make a difference in their lives by maintaining clean environment.

Cons

Upper Management is not pro active. Ran a large SNF for over 2 years and was left to resolve many issues on my own. Was struggling in my building and did not receive help until it was a crisis. This resulted in the Administrator asking to have me removed from building. They shipped me to a site that was twice my commute and when their Account Manager returned from FMLA, they transferred me again, made me a housekeeper and cut my pay. After I left, they took steps to fix problems that would make the Account Manager's job easier; these steps would have been very helpful of they had been implemented when I was struggling, but they didn't do it until after I left. They like to hire managers and wring them out for all they are worth, jack them around, an then toss them aside, especially if they are young. Cover your butt.

Good company with management development in a growing healthcare field in the non-clinical aspect in nursing homes.

Former Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Healthcare Services Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great way to develop self as a manager.
    -Motivation and hard work with pay out -- with promotions within reach.

Cons

-Lots of labor work even as a management development company.
    -Nights/weekends are almost a must.

Benefits can be better.

Hmmm, Good if you are good at playing games....

Current Employee - Regional Training Manager in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Regional Training Manager in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Healthcare Services Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities are endless, if you can figure out who to schmooze and you work really hard. Been with them for 5.5 years and all was great till my regional manager quit and it all changed from there. They are expanding so uncontrollably quick there is tons of room for people to make their names and get promoted through the ranks at a very quickly.

Cons

After some changes at the regional management level everything changes. Work to life ratio doesn't happen until at a regional role and sometime not even at that point. Night projects without any more compensation = anger. Health insurance3 is nonexistent and they are a billion dollar company. You are the dog to be kicked at the facility level. They want to hire YOUNGER managers due to them coming in cheaper but the problem with that is they are not ready for that level scrutiny. Do not ever ever turn down a new position, you will never have another opportunity for progress after that.

Give everyone the tools they need to do to complete the job that is needed whether it is enough pay for frontline staff so having a full staff can actually happen, or make sure they have all the materials they need, make sure there is enough help to complete large projects. Maybe try a manager on call on the weekends so if a facility is uncovered you have a manager who can cover that way there can be a balanced work to life ratio for everyone. GET SOME REAL HEALTH INSURANCE.

I have big responsibility in the job I love to works in the company ,

Current Employee - Account Manager in Youngstown, OH
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Youngstown, OH

I have been working at Healthcare Services Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Because I have a lot potential in my cereal and good attitude, to do the job

Cons

have the big challenge, and big opportunity in the experiences

MIT Program.

Current Employee - MIT in McLeansville, NC
    Current Employee - MIT in McLeansville, NC

I have been working at Healthcare Services Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with HCSG for about 5months and am in the MIT (Manager in Training) Program. I love the residents! It is very rewarding to be a part of their lives. The intro salary is pretty good and they also have stock options and a 401k. There are also plenty of opportunities for promotion due to the rapid growth of the company.

Cons

The MIT program is terrible, at least at the facility I have been assigned to. No manager I have worked with to this day follows the training program and when upper management comes and something goes wrong asks if you are following the program. The majority of management are awful, they do not know what they are talking about and have no issue mistreating employees. The MIT program requires you work a minimum of 50 hours a week. You are running around doing all the work while management does nothing but kick up their feet and watch. When something goes wrong, you the MIT are to blame. I have seen management cheat employees out of pay, use the schedule as a grudge holding mechanism, load off their tasks on other employees, lie about payroll, food ordering and much more. Management will say one thing to your face and go behind your back to someone else and contradict themselves. Management does not seem organized or have any clue what they want. They do not trust their employees and blame them for their short comings. This company has great potential if they would learn to hire competent people that are honest and hard working. When I get my own facility I will strive for excellence through honesty, integrity and hard work unlike the management I have been given as my example.

Follow through with promises, and treat employees with respect.

its not too bad, they need to take care of their employees though

Current Employee - Assistant Food Service Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Food Service Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Healthcare Services Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

co-workers are nice and the hours are flexible. Plus you can move up with the company if you want a career in the food service

Cons

management is kinda suck, and they don't take good care of most of their managers

benefits, work-life balance

Great Company!

Current Employee - District Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - District Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Healthcare Services Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get what you put in. Most complaints on here come from disgruntled employees who have very weak work ethic. This is truly a company of giving more opportunity to those who put in the effort. If you want an opportunity to shine and have strong work ethic this is the place for you.

Cons

Long hours at first until you can hire strong people around you. Follow the systems and build a team you can trust. Over time it will get easier.

Continue to support your middle management with consistent training at Regional Meetings.

Texas

Unprofessional Company

Former Employee - Account Manager in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Healthcare Services Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None. This should only be entry level work if you're in the management field.

Cons

Everything. This is a very cheap company. I've had to buy supplies out of my own pocket many times just so my employees would have what they needed. The communication link is very poor from the top down and the company never gives the manager a raise, no matter how good the manager performance might be.

Keep track of all supply orders and emails sent to your DM because they will screw you over, but hold them accountable.

Healthcare Services Group Photos