Healthfirst (New York)

www.healthfirstny.com

Healthfirst (New York) Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Pat Wang

Pros
  • Free coffee and tea is offered in every kitchen(in 3 reviews)

• My coworkers are for the most part very good people to work with(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • into their medicaid managed care plan with no regards to your work/life balance(in 3 reviews)

• IT is teeming with Indian consultants - maybe they are less expensive but it seems to be a great way of making no one responsible(in 4 reviews)

Bad Upper Management

ProsGood PTO policy. Convenient location. Co workers good to work with.

ConsToo many managers and directors in this company. Telecommuting is frowned upon in most departments. Scapegoating has become a pastime with upper management.

Bad culture, poor management, extensive turnover

Project Manager - Portfolio and Project Delivery Office (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood learning experience and company has made strides over the last few years. Nice building compared to our old office, however we have a serious bedbug problem.

ConsVPs and management are way overpaid. If you don't believe me, take a look at the Form 990 for Healthfirst and be shocked.

There is poor culture and management in Project and Portfolio Delivery Office. The PMs are not trusted to work remotely regularly even though just about every other department has an acceptable telecommuting policy. Some of the brightest people we had left or are about to leave within a short time of being here. These people got much higher positions elsewhere. Senior management wants to know the number of requirements on a project and strives for 80% of achievement of requirements on any given project. This is utterly ridiculous and really is aimed at the lowest common denominator!

This place is truly like the bizzaro world. PMO management has now instructed us that we are baselining our project schedules in Initiation...prior to finalizing the scope or planning the work! The IS department is also very difficult to work for, but at least the CIO got canned because he wanted the "Long Island lifestyle".

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are a C-level executive, you shouldn't need to or want to dive into the weeds of a project plan line by line or feel the need to review requirements for every POG project. Also, PMs seek to achieve 100% of requirements, not 80%. Don't act like we don't know what we are doing by putting this on the PMs within the department.

Poor Healthfirst NJ

Management (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCo - workers care about each other.

ConsThank goodness I am one of the few who transitioned to the New York office. The New Jersey staff is being ignored. Management says they care about the NJ staff and will help to transition the staff as much as possible to the NY office since NJ is being sold off to Wellcare. Most who have applied for NY positions have been rejected. NJ was not included in the business strategy. While the other offices were treated to fruit, breakfast, etc. They were ignored at the company all employee meeting.
    Top level management is what needs to be changed to see effective change. There are too many top level executives, in other words, a whole lot of chiefs.
    The process to have one thing approved requires having your first born promised to them.
    They do have free coffee and a side of bedbugs to go.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Management position is a joke!

ProsI have been working here for more than 5 years. Its a good thing I moved into Project Management area from IS, I gained great experience and visibility.

ConsProject Managers are just administrators. You should do aggressive management and get the crap out of team, otherwise everyone will try to manage you. You should agree 100% with the department head if you want a promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementTerrible Management. Change the PMO management, otherwise you will keep loosing experienced PMs. Project Managers do lot of work and deserve more respect.

Not rewarded for the work done..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPaid time off.New building, dedicated workforce

ConsCultural Change means getting rid of the long time employees and they hired the right HR leader to do it. This is an Employment at will organization. So they don't need to provide a good reason for letting you go.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoving to be a commercial plan does not mean getting rid of those who helped build the organization. Cultural Change should still include cultural diversity. Check senior staff to see what direction you are heading in.

It was a good and learning experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome people do really care.

ConsMicro management and unfairness to workers. Stifling of growth in some areas. Being unfair to employees. I have promised never to be so dedicated to another organization. After all the time I gave this company I was still laid off for no good reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take your lower level workers for granted. Please acknowledge employees effort and dedication.

Top Mgmt. Need to Walk the Walk and Talk the Talk

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat colleagues, plenty of interesting and changing tasks, always challenged and salaries are fair compared to the Market especially in Clinical positions. I am here for the long term and want to see this place achieve #1 and more, but good grief - would someone please do something with the poor management.

ConsTop management talk about great enhancements to our company culture, but then they don't bother to follow it. Lead by example is not a concept they know anything about or just find it to be too much work. It is frustrating to not get a response from management even if you follow-up numerous times. The company also have too many chiefs and not enough support staff - much too top heavy. The staff get burnt out fast because of the work volume and performing 12 hour days or more if unacceptable as a norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart exercising what you are teaching through extensive training modules required for all of management to complete. Stop tried to terminate an employee for one mistake and have a conversation - invest "time" into your staff. Stop promoting unqualified candidates because of nepotism or some other dumb reason to "select" a person before a job is posted.

Get the kitchens up and running with working equipment - not enough microwaves, vending machines often empty, coffee machine parts disappear and the cleanliness of bathrooms during the day is awful.

Get a better process in place for exterminated the bed bug problem because what you are doing today is not working. It is unfair to have people inspect their homes company paid or not and then approve them to return before their work area is signed off as clear. Ridiculous!

Great people, but Financial Analysis department is suffering

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat peers & learning opportunities. Standard benefits, good PTO.

ConsWork life balance is nonexistent and closing procedures change month to month. Top leadership in our department is very unprofessional and fear/bullying are used regularly by this individual. Other department management is OK, but top FA management is insulting, demotivating, and totalitarian. Very high turnover in FA department.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrive changes in Finance department and upgrade systems. Make sure that VPs are professional and actually able to lead people. Also, need more opportunities for promotion in FA department.

Where simple becomes complicated

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI like the easy commute into the office and like the job itself.

ConsCompany lags behind the times. No CRM system in place to effectively manage sales and marketing activities. No way to track prospects. No systems integration in place. Between the "politics" associated with senior management to get things done, the incredible number of steps to get from one to the other and the approval flow, it's no wonder that things take years to ever come to fruition. I'm still waiting and I'm employed over five years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to change and adapt to new technologies faster. Times are changing.

Life Experience!

Sales Representative (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsChallenging, great training department.
    If you want to learn all about manage care this is the place!

ConsNo growth potential, Unnecessary meetings and politics.
    Inadequate solutions to problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to maintain professional level. Don't to be caught up in gossip!
    Unethical and immature behaviors.

Worked for Healthfirst (New York)? Contribute to the Community!