Healthfirst (New York)

Updated November 23, 2014
Updated November 23, 2014
2.5

Pat Wang

Pros
  • A lot of opportunity for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• Also, depending on the department, you have different levels of work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • into their medicaid managed care plan with no regards to your work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Growing pains are common and needed when a company changes and evloves to become better (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Growing & Changing Company

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a company that is growing very rapidly, in an industry that is changing even more rapidly. In growing/changing environments, there will be conflict, new processes and turnover. New people need time to learn new things, folks who built old processes are resistant to change. The entire healthcare industry is under the same pressure.

The Healthfirst experience is very unique in that a mid-sized regional carrier has such a "small company" feel to it. The experience is what you make of it - there is a seemingly infinite amount of work to get done in a short time frame. There is every opportunity to build a really strong knowledge base for your career in whatever area you choose. The small company environment creates very high visibility; if you are good at what you do, you can stand out as a high performer and get ahead. Unfortunately, if you're not good at what you do, you also stand out. But if you are up for a fast-paced, evolving environment, Healthfirst offers a unique opportunity to grow.

While many employees complain of "growing pains," Healthfirst is in a very good place compared to other companies in the industry. Healthfirst is adding employees, investing in tools and building out new products - a lot of other companies are losing licenses, shedding members and merging/downsizing. As new processes, tools and people are added, there's a chance to learn something about them. This is in stark contrast to companies where things are changing, and you have to worry about being laid off after all the hard work you've put in. Most companies fit in the latter statement - Healthfirst is one of the few places with a huge amount of opportunity.

By far, the best part of this company is the people. Everyone I have worked with is extremely friendly, positive and helpful. The team outings, both social gatherings and sporting events, are all a blast. Everyone cares deeply about what they do, and the value we provide to our members. There's a great sense of pride and teamwork, and that makes it really fun to work here.

Cons

You have to be the right type of person to work at Healthfirst. Given how much everything is changing, and how fast-paced it is, it's not a great place for people who want to come in, casually "turn a crank," collect a paycheck and go home. The work/life balance does get a little tough at times - but good focus, planning and communication can limit the downside (that's the same for any job where long nights/weekends are a problem). As I mentioned earlier, due to the visibility, if you're not good at what you do, you tend to stand out as a low performer.

Compensation is fair, PTO is very fair; the only downside is the workload - which can be an upside for the right person.

Be patient with your team - a lot of them are new and learning.
    Lead by example - show your team how you want them to act.
    Go on the offensive - any business can be made profitable and sustainable, but securing that top-line growth is hard to come by. Get membership. Your team is very good about building on member and financial health.

Certified Application Counselor , Healthcare Specialist . FE

Current Employee - HCS CAC in New York, NY
    Current Employee - HCS CAC in New York, NY

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee development program. Executive is even more motivating than management. Undergoing great cultural evolution.

Cons

Is almost impossible to professionally progress to a department other then the one you started. Specially if you are in sales.

Right track. Don't let the Daily activities and old ways get in the way of what the organization is trying to improve.

One of the best companies to work for!

I worked at Healthfirst (New York) (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have the best medicare and medicaid sales training in the industry. Wonderful benefits and opportunity for growth.

Cons

Very strict policies. No more than two weeks of consecutive vacation.

Great place to start your career

Former Employee - Member Services Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At Healthfirst I have encountered the ones of the nicest, most professional people that I ever worked with. The job is what it is but people make a whole lot of difference. The office culture is great, people are very friendly, my immediate supervisor was very always available for any assistance that I needed be it personal or professional.

Cons

I had a late schedule and it didn't work for me.

It was a positive learning experience!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Healthfirst (New York)

Pros

One of the best places to work for. I had a supportive manager. I learned a lot and as a result I was able to add a lot of value to the team.

Cons

I had a positive experience. There were no cons.

Continue mentoring your staff! I know it made me feel valued as an employee.

Excellent work environment

Current Employee - Facilitated Enroller in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Facilitated Enroller in New York, NY

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

annual raises
    bonus twice a year
    excellent management, very flexible and pushes you to do your best
    friendly work envorinment

Cons

No downsides here. Great company overall

promote within the company for management positions rather than hiring from outside. A seasoned staff with prior knowledge and experience would be much more efficient and productive compared to a new hire from another agency outside of the company. Also, give compensation and raises more frequently to those who are deerving of it.

Field worker

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Able to work independently; Tool are given to complete the job succesfully.

Cons

Constant changes within the healthcare system.

Great company values!

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time

Pros

Healthfirst has the desire to grow and push the organziation to the next level.

Cons

Growing pains are common and needed when a company changes and evloves to become better.

Healthfirst is a great company to work at!

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Internal growth, ability to put members first, offers wonderful working enviornment.

Cons

This is not really a con but Healthfirst is evolving into a efficient forward moving company and during this move companies have to deal with growing pains. This is normal and seems to maintain the customer and employee focus attitude. I give them great respect.

Taking your career in healthcare to new heights!

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York)

Pros

If you're looking for an innovative company that promotes career development, then Healthfirst is the place for you! I've had an exceptional experience in my time at Healthfirst thanks to structure, diversity, and overall opportunity this company has afforded me.

Cons

No cons; this is a great company to work for!

Share more of your past career experiences with those who you manage. It's always good to hear how someone made it to the top!

Healthfirst (New York) Photos