Healthfirst (New York)

www.healthfirstny.com
Employer Engaged

Too much politics and less work done.

I worked at Healthfirst (New York)

Pros

Onboarding process was good in the new hire training.

Cons

Healthfirst has realized the out poring bad reviews that they have placed fake reviews of their company to bring more new hires in. This company has a high turnover rate with majority of management with no management skills, no degree and no experience. My experience at Healtfirst was terrible since day one and I am so glad I am no longer working there. Healtfirst doesn't have a marketable reputation in New York, as a nonprofit company it should provide the best experience as other nonprofit companies do but at Healthfirst, you earn the experience needed to advance your career.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. ITS NOT WORTH THE STRESS.

Bad company

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in New York, NY

I worked at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best part was that eventually you were able to telecommute from home.

Cons

This was like working for big brother. The job was for case management but our job was just data entry. They actually counted key strokes on you computer to make sure you were working 9+ hours a day!!!

Consider hiring employees for the job they are applying for and not be like big brother. It was a highly stressful job. It was all data entry not case management.

One of the best companies to work for!

I worked at Healthfirst (New York) (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have the best medicare and medicaid sales training in the industry. Wonderful benefits and opportunity for growth.

Cons

Very strict policies. No more than two weeks of consecutive vacation.

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Ancillary Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ancillary Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people in lower management and below

Cons

Dealing with decisions or promotions made for personal reasons

To work more closely why staff is leaving in droves

It was a positive learning experience!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Healthfirst (New York)

Pros

One of the best places to work for. I had a supportive manager. I learned a lot and as a result I was able to add a lot of value to the team.

Cons

I had a positive experience. There were no cons.

Continue mentoring your staff! I know it made me feel valued as an employee.

Project Management and Implementation

I worked at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice environment and good people. Benefits are standard but not exceptional. They have a good program for on-boarding new employees. It is very thorough and informative. The location is very convenient.

Cons

A training program for the various computer systems used would be very helpful and an overview of the data flow for the systems as well. It would also be good to have an informational directory of contacts in the various operational areas readily available.
    I found that my management didn't support me when I made decisions and they got involved in minute parts of my project where they should have just been providing support for the issues I escalated. In fact, my management would question my decisions at meetings with other areas in lieu of discussing the strategies ahead of time to be fully informed of why I am making the decisions in the first place.

Management style is too individual and without a centralized goal or methodology. More policy decisions should be made at the top levels of management and enforced rather than leaving decisions up to individual managers for their areas. One example is the telecommuting policy which should be more evenly distributed rather than at the discretion of one manager for their team. Additionally I found that there was no career path in my area to which I could aspire. Also, flex hours should be flexible for everyone and of course within reason.

Slave labor/Hard core capitalist/unscrupulous managers

Current Employee - Field Medicaid Marketing Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Field Medicaid Marketing Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get health insurance coverage but you will need it as working for them can be sickening.

Cons

Pseudo Non-profit company, they are very much about profit behind closed doors.  They pressure field reps to meet an unattainable quota to enroll  every minorities that they can find in the ghettos  into their medicaid managed care plan with no regards to your work/life balance.  This pressure results into working beyond your 8 hour shift and on weekends and you get no overtime pay.  This is how  this company strives to make much of its  profit.  Managees are ignorant and completely out of touch with reality.  I doubt they possess any more than a GED/ high school/community college and that goes for the field representatives as well. Corporate bosses plays managers  like fools and they don't eve know it as this  job is the best they can do.  There was a lawsuit filed against them which they settled for several millions for failing to pay their field reps. overtime, the majority of whom are minorities.

Stop stooping so low in order to appease your money hungry corporate bosses. Get some education so that you never forget where you came from.  Your bosses will use and abuse you, and their marketing reps just like the masters did to their slaves back in the days.

It was a very good experience until it was time to move on. They aren't as open with they're opportunities as they say.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Healthfirst (New York) full-time

Pros

Friendly Staff, Nice work environment, good place to work.

Cons

Managerial Issues, HR takes unauthorized authority, salaries are not great.

Get better leaders and if your willing to train people don't ask for so much in the requirements. Also update salaries.

Poor Healthfirst NJ

Current Employee - Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Management in New York, NY

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co - workers care about each other.

Cons

Thank goodness I am one of the few who transitioned to the New York office. The New Jersey staff is being ignored. Management says they care about the NJ staff and will help to transition the staff as much as possible to the NY office since NJ is being sold off to Wellcare. Most who have applied for NY positions have been rejected. NJ was not included in the business strategy. While the other offices were treated to fruit, breakfast, etc. They were ignored at the company all employee meeting.
    Top level management is what needs to be changed to see effective change. There are too many top level executives, in other words, a whole lot of chiefs.
    The process to have one thing approved requires having your first born promised to them.
    They do have free coffee and a side of bedbugs to go.

Not rewarded for the work done..

I worked at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid time off.New building, dedicated workforce

Cons

Cultural Change means getting rid of the long time employees and they hired the right HR leader to do it. This is an Employment at will organization. So they don't need to provide a good reason for letting you go.

Moving to be a commercial plan does not mean getting rid of those who helped build the organization. Cultural Change should still include cultural diversity. Check senior staff to see what direction you are heading in.

Healthfirst (New York) Photos