Healthgrades

www.healthgrades.com

Healthgrades Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Roger C. Holstein

Growth company in evolving market.

ProsHealthcare is a fascinating, important and changing industry. Healthgrades sits in an interesting place in the market with the ability to actually connect consumers with the right doctors. If we execute well, we can do a lot of good for a lot of people and have strong business results to go along with it. We have a lot of smart, passionate people who are chasing this opportunity.

ConsDepending on the location and part of the organization, career advancement is not as well defined as many other companies. This is largely a factor of size. As we grow, there will be more opportunities for progressions within a group instead of having to progress by moving around in the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementFail faster. We are sometimes too cautious and don't take as many smart risks as we should. I'd rather us behave more like the fast growing digital company we are and less like an old-school data company.

Strong leadership and vision

ProsI have been very impressed with how many intelligent people I have meet at Healthgrades as well as the clear and analytic approach taken to address opportunities for improvement. Working together with my manager, we have set clear goals with logical steps towards achieving, and succeeding, within those goals. Personal and professional development has been strongly supported and encouraged.

ConsI think that all companies can work on training opportunities for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne thing that would be great to see as part of the health and wellness programs the company has been working on recently would be some sort of partnership/reimbursement opportunities for gym memberships.

Great and Awful

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsLocation.

The people excluding executive and HR teams.

Paid time off (PTO) benefit.

ConsThe executive team is shady in their supposed company goals. They seem to be like most other corporations in their greedy dealings, even though their message to employees at quarterly meetings is all about helping Americans make better healthcare choices. Meanwhile, they sign multi-year contracts with clients who own facilities (and sponsor their physicians) that make the content displayed on their site biased -- and not for the consumer's or patient's better interest. Example: If a client pays the right price to have data suppressed such as physicians' survey results or background history, they abide to the client's demands.

The HR team is not trustworthy.

Management overworks employees on a regular basis. They say that 12 hour work shifts including weekends will be over when a project is completed, but the projects and unrealistic deadlines set by them never really end. And when they get the team pizza or expense whatever delivery for dinner, they make people feel like it's a favor they're doing the employees.

Their technical teams don't follow any healthy project management methodologies. They went from Waterfall to Scrum to chaos. Hence, their unrealistic deadlines and unhealthy work schedules.

*** As of the summer of 2014, I still can't easily schedule time with my ex-coworkers who've remained friends for lunch, happy hour or dinner because they continue to be slave driven by their management / executive team.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe development team's management team should be required to not only take Management 101 courses but pass actual exam requirements and go through some sort of fair employee evaluation period.

Otherwise, the executive team should stop playing "favorites" and put in place competent managers for human resources and projects.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

(Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsManagement listens to clients and grows with their demands. Very client focused. Team atmosphere. Committed employees for the most part. Treats employees like adults.

ConsManagement a little slow to weed out dead weight. In a team oriented atmosphere this can have a real impact on productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow employee morale to suffer because of a few bad eggs.

Posers who claim to have "clinical knowledge" evaluating health care

Everyone Here IS An Analyst (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsExpensive nice office in downtown Denver

ConsClueless Clicky Unprofessional people coming to work in t shirts and flip flops, no one works, always on vacation, think they are milking the buyout cash until it runs out. The talk is very negative towards healthcare providers, very biased, and they lack the clinical knowledge to make recommendations to their clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the "posers" and the clicks in the office including those of you who hired each other because of your allegiences. If you want to consult, you are going to have to raise the bar and loose the bias, and get rid of the unprofessional flip flop wearing people that just won't be taken seriously. Conflict in discussions means there is something wrong, your people are not taken seriously in the industry for obvious reasons, no experience clinically, flip flops and t shirts, you won't make it.

Good place to work

Pros401k worked out great. Also, there are some good people in the technology area of the company. Overall, it's been decent.

ConsIt's very rare to see a promotion come around. More people come in from the outside.

Growing Company and hiring more everyday

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThis company is transforming into a new consumer brand. There are Great opportunites to learn and grow with this company.
    We not only work hard but we enjoy our fun events like Ice Cream socials, bring your child to work day, leader chats.
    Lunch and learns

ConsWe still have some issues between the Denver and Madison offices. Power struggle, but each team is working hard to overcome this.

Advice to Senior ManagementNotice those of us who have been here awhile, we are here because we believe in what the company does.

Fast-paced, innovative and fun!

(Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat central downtown location in Denver. Tons of fun events like Ice Cream socials, Code-a-thons, free lunch and dinners - during deadlines, ping-pong/foosball tables, and even pumpkin carving contests cross offices. Management listens - and recently they went through an extensive employee survey and there was extensive followup with employees. The equipment has improved (computers, etc).

If you work at HealthGrades you are working with some of the best and brightest people in Denver. Feels a lot like a startup. Lots of room for advancement.

ConsThe fire damage in Denver is taking too long to complete - which impacts team cohesion. Give the employees free coke and soft drinks. Redecorate the office. Have a summer picnic and include family events.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a product more like OpenTable and Yelp that allows consumers to enter open-ended comments about their doctors. Improve the cost of medical coverage.

Re-Org in progress

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSolutions are top notch and impressive

ConsCompany is very political which is difficult between Madison and Denver

Total Failure

Director (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThere were some sharp people who once worked there. I learned a lot from some talented people

ConsThe upper and middle management are clowns and cheerleaders who know zilch about healthcare. The politics are insane and if you are in sales you need to constantly worry about actually getting paid what you earn. Finance is always looking for reasons to not pay people. They just held a client conference and force you to pounce on prospects and sell them til they blue in face in most unprofessional way.

Also, clients are leaving each day for better digital solutions. It's a total mess trying to satisfy clients with an obsolete platform.

Needless to say, I'm already looking for something else

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave. Retire. Sell the company. It's a failure.

Worked for Healthgrades? Contribute to the Community!