Healthgrades Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
54 reviews filtered by
3.1
Roger C. Holstein

Pros
  • Expensive nice office in downtown Denver (in 6 reviews)

• Continues to offer a challenging, fast-paced work environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries are well below market value (in 3 reviews)

• There is no career growth and the pay is at the low end of the bell curve (in 3 reviews)

1. Strong company that helps hospital and health system clients succeed relative to growth and customer retention.

Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO

I have been working at Healthgrades

Pros

Fun place with high expectations. No two days are alike and there is always someone available to help you.

Cons

Evolving at break neck speed; but that is what makes it unique.

Keep listening to work force.

2. High Energy, Pure Web Company

I have been working at Healthgrades

Pros

Leading edge tech with open arms to what's new (React, Angular, WebApi, Solr, Amazon AWS). Full of high-energy people all going the extra mile because they're committed to the mission.

Cons

Not a place to hide - everyone on the floor is accountable and involved

Wonderful Company

Current Employee - User Interface Applications Developer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - User Interface Applications Developer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Healthgrades offers their development staff the opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in their field. I wouldn’t be where I’m at without the help of my coworkers.

Cons

The base salary for developers is below/on par with current industry listings. We work in a field that is highly competitive and monetary incentives will make or break employee retention. Doughnuts and bagels will only get you so far. I would recommend a 30-day sabbatical for those who have reached their 5-year anniversary.

We need more team building activities on the ski slopes, make it happen!

Salary is decent, people are great, benefits are awful

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are, for the most part, good to work with. I've met some very intelligent people who I've enjoyed working with. The premise of the company is a good one - it's a place that (if the promise was delivered on) would feel great to come to everyday.

It's a good place to stay for 1-3 years as a resume builder.

The vacation policy is good. Hopefully it won't get worse like the rest of the benefits have. Pay is decent, depending on what department you're in.

Cons

Overall the company drastically under-delivers on the promise to healthcare consumers. The company doesn't move fast enough to keep up with trends in the digital health space, so you're always playing catch up. Management is very conservative when it comes to innovation and experimentation, which is pretty key to a successful digital company. Focus on healthcare consumers is never the main focus because that contradicts the main focus on hospitals and clients. To transform the space, focus needs to shift to providing an objective, transparent resource to consumers.

The company's single largest problem is with retention and recruitment, yet they do nothing to address that. The benefits over the last year have gotten way worse, and they were pretty bad to begin with. The "best" health insurance plan premium increased by 500% in one year. The generous employee referral program got cut from $2,500 to $500 with a ton of contingencies. The wellness program isn't really a wellness program, it's a website full of webinars that you can listen to if you have time. There are no health and wellness perks and the company doesn't offer transportation discounts for public transportation or parking. You'll either be paying to park every single day or paying to take the bus or light rail every single day.

Don't expect the typical perks of a digital company. Don't expect performance bonuses or increases outside of your annual review. And don't expect pay raises that are more than 2-3% a year.

Focus more on keeping the talent you have. Do something to make up for the bad benefits package. Look around you at the companies people are leaving for, and do what they are doing to attract and keep talented people. You've got a huge opportunity to become an employee-first company that people want to work for. Make that your priority. The reputation of the company in the market should have already alerted you to this. If it hasn't, look through some of these reviews and take action to fix what's broken. It's fixable, but it needs to be a priority.

6. It's Not ALL Bad!

Former Employee - Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Developer in Denver, CO

I worked at Healthgrades full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of good, fun, smart people.
    The company mission seems to have started with a nice idea.

Cons

If you're not a young, good-looking, male WASP, you will not be likely to advance.
    The management team are great cheerleaders, but completely lack substance.

Fire all of yourselves and start over.

Really smart devs but somewhat slow development

Former Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO

I worked at Healthgrades full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of brilliant software developers and a very competent CTO tech-wise.

Cons

Doesn't fully utilize the abilities of the software developers and instead devotes intelligent people to menial tasks. Allow them to utilize their skills ... let loose the hounds!

- Don't overuse your lead devs or they will inevitably leave.

- Take a risk and assign a small group to creative development!

- Formalize the onboarding process.

Lack of female or minority leadership, company is stale.

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time

Pros

There are pockets of brilliance. Casual dress. Free food now and then.

Cons

Unfortunately the pockets of brilliance are held back by the pockets of stale leadership that can't seem to move forward. New leadership just moved in, but they are all "friends of...fill in the blank" looking to make their male buddies rich when the company goes public. Have not seen a woman promoted or brought into the company at a level higher than a VP in a very long time. Very few female VPs as well. Have seen very few minorities, male or female, in general.

Technology is great in Atlanta and Denver. Sadly, not so much in Madison. Products are no longer innovative. Sales teams struggle.

Get some diversity in leadership. Stop the good ol' boy networking. Get your technology in order. Get rid of those who can't move forward. Get on with it.

Healthgrades: Denver HQ

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Healthgrades

Pros

Healthcare Technology vertical, unlimited potential in this space over the coming years.
    Decent compensation and benefits.
    Casual environment, great office location.

Cons

Healthgrades culture is in crisis. There is a serious inability to align teams, projects and priorities. This has lead to massive turnover across Development, QA, Marketing. So much potential, but a lack of leadership is dramatically affecting the culture.

Overworked. Underpaid.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer

I have been working at Healthgrades

Pros

- Free coffee
    - Great peers within department

Cons

- Deadlines are insane and people are overworked
    - Pay should be higher for what is demanded
    - No Gym Membership

- Get connected with whats actually happening on the floor
    - Reconsider project deadlines
    - Unlimited Vacation Policy would be nice, so that people have some incentive for working so hard
    - Give employees Free Gym Memberships

Wonderful company to work for

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company has far exceeded my expectations for the way it treats it's employees. The benefits that it offers are amazing and the way that people treat each other is great to experience every day. I look forward to coming to work each day and hope to be here for a long time. As an added note, I just found out that the benefits include 12 weeks full paid maternity leave, of which I will take advantage of early next year. I was completely floored to find this out. What a wonderful way to value and empower female employees. So thankful. (Another side: the company contributes to my 401K weather I choose to contribute or not. Really amazing).

Cons

It's not a bad thing, but if change and fast-pace is not your thing this is not the place for you. We move quickly and it's important to voice your opinions using whatever data you have. Once a decision is made, get on board and don't look back. I find it to be a wonderful work environment, but it's not for everyone.

Thank you for valuing your employees. Please continue along the path that has brought us here. I understand there are discussions for addition benefits such as public transportation and health club benefits. That would be an awesome addition to all you already do for us.