Healthgrades Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

3.2

Roger C. Holstein

Healthgrades has far exceeded my expectations as an employer.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Madison, WI

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time for less than a year

Pros

Healthgrades is an innovative organization which is continually undergoing positive changes to make the organization stronger. The leadership at Healthgrades is extremely transparent and they treat all employees equally regardless of your title. Healthgrades has a lot of opportunity for career growth. Healthgrades offers competitive pay and has a very friendly atmosphere. Healthgrades is very focused on employee wellness and offers a lot of incentive programs and challenges to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Cons

I have yet to encounter any cons with regard to my employment at Healthgrades.

Good and bad, like any company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really like working at Healthgrades. The location in downtown Denver is great, benefits package is really great as well (401k, options for medical coverage, maternity/paternity leave, etc.). The place is growing like crazy and the people really are the "best and brightest" - I've never worked with such a talented and intelligent group of people. The innovation is really remarkable. The company does do a lot of fun things like company outings (baseball games, picnics, Holiday Parties), monthly social activities and a cool wellness program.

Cons

Like anywhere, there are challenges. Managers need more/better training and in general, there should be better development opportunities.

Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to.

Plenty of opportunities for career growth alongside great colleagues

Current Employee - Scrum Master  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Denver, CO

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time for less than a year

Pros

Healthgrades is currently in a state of expansion. Given this, anyone coming in that has high energy has the potential to get involved in shaping what this place will become. Many reviews reflect many of the issues encountered during the cycle of a venture capital purchase, which seemingly, this place is on the tail end of. By and large it feels that most of those issues are behind the organization. Most employees are highly motivated and want to get things done quickly. This is an opportunity to work on a very active consumer facing website and get exposed to all of the day to day activities that come along with it. The environment is very fast paced.

Cons

Due to the fact that the place is in a state of great transition (though at the end of it) there are problems with having too small of a staff to accomplish all of the goals of the organization. Also, the organization is now too BIG to act like a start up. Being in the middle is a tough spot and will take awhile to implement and respect the processes that will mitigate a lot of the growing pains.

Start to implement a middle management layer and delegate. Leads need more ownership of their respective domains. Develop training materials for people that are on-boarding to get them up to speed as quickly as possible.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time

Pros

I'm so impressed with this company, the employees and the benefits. People work here because they believe in the company's mission and vision. The high quality equipment they provide employees in their workspace, the environment we work in makes it easy to come to work. Large break rooms, free coffee and tea, cubicles with windows, ping pong tables, yoga stretching area, wearing jeans and flipflops support a positive work place. Every day, I feel appreciated and supported. Folks are responsive to every issue and concern, whether it's a helpdesk issue or HR. Over 4 weeks PTO a year (and this doesn't include holidays). Compared to my previous IT company, my health insurance costs me $300 less a month and yet the benefits are much better!! Nice 401k contribution by the company. Easy to get office supplies without micromanaging every dime in a department's budget. Easy to travel - things can go awry on work trips, it takes the stress and pressure off when their policies are flexible and clearly written by someone who was a road warrior like myself.

Cons

nothing comes to mind right now

I appreciate that my VP reaches out to me personally to make sure things are going well, even though I don't report directly to him.

Growth company in evolving market.

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Healthcare is a fascinating, important and changing industry. Healthgrades sits in an interesting place in the market with the ability to actually connect consumers with the right doctors. If we execute well, we can do a lot of good for a lot of people and have strong business results to go along with it. We have a lot of smart, passionate people who are chasing this opportunity.

Cons

Depending on the location and part of the organization, career advancement is not as well defined as many other companies. This is largely a factor of size. As we grow, there will be more opportunities for progressions within a group instead of having to progress by moving around in the organization.

Fail faster. We are sometimes too cautious and don't take as many smart risks as we should. I'd rather us behave more like the fast growing digital company we are and less like an old-school data company.

Strong leadership and vision

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been very impressed with how many intelligent people I have meet at Healthgrades as well as the clear and analytic approach taken to address opportunities for improvement. Working together with my manager, we have set clear goals with logical steps towards achieving, and succeeding, within those goals. Personal and professional development has been strongly supported and encouraged.

Cons

I think that all companies can work on training opportunities for employees.

One thing that would be great to see as part of the health and wellness programs the company has been working on recently would be some sort of partnership/reimbursement opportunities for gym memberships.

Toxic Mess!

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time

Pros

Made friends along the way. Misery loves company and I was able to make some friends

Cons

Many challenges at this place

-Upper and middle management is loaded with political backstabbing
    -Equipment and tools outdated, which is forcing the customers to bolt!
    -No upward growth. You can get stuck in one place forver
    -MASSIVE TURNOVER. Clients hate it and we are always shuffling people around
    -There are finance issues as mentioned in other reviews here, but never happened to me personally. However, my co-workers have complained about missing pay periods and having to take issue with finance team.

Give you team a chance. Invest in people for a change and they will shine. In the end, its pretty hopeless. This place has no shot.

Fatal Mistake! Avoid this Place

Current Employee - Data Manager  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Data Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The mission of HG in helping people find a doctor is a good one.

Cons

-Lack of talent. No one in organization is fluent in healthcare. Lot of GED's who like using buzzwords, but have no idea what they are talking about (I asked someone about ACO's and they had no idea what it was)
    -Finance team either delays your monthly salary payment or will try and renegotiate lower salary. Plenty of horror stories with many of my co-workers
    -Politics is off the charts! No good work can get done with constant backstabbing
    -Clients are leaving for competitors and leadership is clueless in responding to it
     -Sales practices are unprofessional
    -No upward mobility.
    -Lack of good data for HG.com. Physician information continues to be wrong and misleads the consumer

I was told there would be an IPO in 2014. Where is it? Success does not come when clients leave. I suggest Vestar to dump HG and exit this business.

Great and Awful

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Healthgrades full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Location.

The people excluding executive and HR teams.

Paid time off (PTO) benefit.

Cons

The executive team is shady in their supposed company goals. They seem to be like most other corporations in their greedy dealings, even though their message to employees at quarterly meetings is all about helping Americans make better healthcare choices. Meanwhile, they sign multi-year contracts with clients who own facilities (and sponsor their physicians) that make the content displayed on their site biased -- and not for the consumer's or patient's better interest. Example: If a client pays the right price to have data suppressed such as physicians' survey results or background history, they abide to the client's demands.

The HR team is not trustworthy.

Management overworks employees on a regular basis. They say that 12 hour work shifts including weekends will be over when a project is completed, but the projects and unrealistic deadlines set by them never really end. And when they get the team pizza or expense whatever delivery for dinner, they make people feel like it's a favor they're doing the employees.

Their technical teams don't follow any healthy project management methodologies. They went from Waterfall to Scrum to chaos. Hence, their unrealistic deadlines and unhealthy work schedules.

*** As of the summer of 2014, I still can't easily schedule time with my ex-coworkers who've remained friends for lunch, happy hour or dinner because they continue to be slave driven by their management / executive team.

The development team's management team should be required to not only take Management 101 courses but pass actual exam requirements and go through some sort of fair employee evaluation period.

Otherwise, the executive team should stop playing "favorites" and put in place competent managers for human resources and projects.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management listens to clients and grows with their demands. Very client focused. Team atmosphere. Committed employees for the most part. Treats employees like adults.

Cons

Management a little slow to weed out dead weight. In a team oriented atmosphere this can have a real impact on productivity.

Don't allow employee morale to suffer because of a few bad eggs.

Worked for Healthgrades? Contribute to the Community!