Healthline

www.healthline.com

Healthline Reviews

Updated Jun 20, 2014

Dean Stephens

Great environment where strong people can make a strong contribution to a strong and growing company.

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent environment where people who know their trade can have a meaningful impact to the company's product's, growth and bottom line. Its a fast paced high energy type of environment with a lot of hard working, intelligent people steering the ship. But because it is a fast paced company in a fast paced industry it tends to be appreciated most by people who bring a high level of energy to their work and expect the same from those around them. Predominantly smart, good, fun people in an exciting environment energized by growth.

ConsLike many entrepreneurial environments, this company is a great place for people who already possess high levels of skills and confidence to employ them to great effect and have fun in the process. I could however picture it being a challenging place to enter at lower untrained levels. There is no structured 3 month training program after which you spend a week in each department. Its not for the feint of heart. But you do get the chance to earn a lot of responsibility quickly and to seize knowledge on an advanced curve by working with highly skilled, experienced people who will mentor you if you ask., and maybe even if you don't. The company is working on incorporating more of the formalized structures that will create an organized training environment...but in the interim, have the courage to ask.

Advice to Senior ManagementCelebrate the victories. Include the spouses.

I loved it in the beginning, but grew to hate it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Christmas party is worth it.

ConsDemanding management; they want more than is possible from an employee on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry harder to be team players, and more realistic when it comes to results.

Hot Company in a hot industry

Pros- Solid growth in a growing industry
    - Seasoned executive team backed by a strong, engaged board of directors
    - Strong Engineering team; other teams (SEO, Product, Ad Sales, Editorial, etc) also strong
    - Unique technology and data has enabled the company to score powerful partnerships with major brand name companies
    - Most engineers have an opportunity to significantly increase their skills

Cons- As with most companies of this size, there is a constant struggle between the number of projects pursued versus the resources able to deliver, often on tight deadlines.
    - Despite these (very real) challenges, work-life balance is better than most, and there is relatively low turnover

Advice to Senior Management- Keep pursuing the ground-breaking deals and let go of some of the smaller, less important ones. Despite the well-worn cliche, the customer is not always right :-)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growing, profitable company in good businesses. Good work-life balance.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Company has two divisions, both of which are growing.
    - The media business (website) produces great content for consumers. Much better referenced and easier-to-read than other competitors.
    - The licensing business has a world-class health taxonomy -- they've won lots of big companies as clients: GE, United Healthcare, Microsoft, Aetna, Yahoo!, etc.

ConsBeing a small company that is competing in 2 different markets (licensing to big companies and ad-supported consumer health media) does put a strain on resources. As the company has grown and become more successful (and operates the divisions more separately), the product and engineering tradeoffs have lessened, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the companies progress in two different businesses is great...but really hard for most employees to keep up with. Recently there has been better communication on what's going on in each business -- keep that up!

No Company is Perfect!

Mid-Level Management (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsDog friendly, healthy food, very nice, smart people for the most part, great part of town (SOMA), good eats all around, casual environment. I've worked here over 3 years now and have seen it all. In the past 6 months, there have been many positive and seemingly genuine improvements in office management. They are really trying and it shows. Still not sure where senior management is headed as we are on the hunt for a new CEO.

ConsUpper management still seems a bit disconnected and old school. They have a lot of meetings together yet it's not clear what's being accomplished or if they all want the same things. Too many cooks in the kitchen perhaps?

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make positive changes. Listen to your people. Make them feel that they can speak up an not get fired if they do. Look hard at who's really efficient, who is not pulling their weight, who should be promoted or given a higher salary. Promote from within. Don't hire people for the sake of hiring people.

Good Experience working at Healthline

ProsGet to learn a lot

ConsManagement is not proper. No promotion or recognition.

Keeping this one secret.

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSeasoned and nimble team, very strong team lead, working on diverse and interesting projects, leadership is enabling and cares about building their staff's careers. I feel lucky to be here.

ConsMore transparency from the top would be nice. This has gotten better, but for much of my time here I felt like senior leadership didn't have a solid plan, or at least one that was communicated clearly.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep finding ways to make the A-players happy. Hire better people. If you want your staffers to invest in Healthline, then you need to invest more them.

Healthline Lacks a Moral Core and Tends to Reward Incompetence

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- There are some great people working here in the lower and mid management levels
    - Pretty fun work environment - decent office, great location, they try to make it fun with food and parties, etc.
    - Pay is acceptable for the most part

Cons- Nobody is really committed to the cause. It's almost all profit motive, and you can tell.
    - Even so, they treat their employees terribly, by playing favorites and rewarding ineptitude as long as the inept ones are toeing the company line
    - Anyone who speaks up is either "laid off" to supposedly cut costs or ostracized to the point where they leave on their own
    - Senior management never fully commits to anything, and then blames those underneath when their half-baked plans don't work out
    - Many unkept promises

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to cultivate talent and not ineptitude. Don't make promises you can't keep and don't start projects/plans without being willing and able to follow through.

Nice people, interesting technology

Product Management Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsHealthline is a Health IT company with significant technical assets and IP. They are developing very cool products for a huge, growing industry.

One of their 'products' is a consumer web site driven by ad revenue. I think a lot of reviewers mistakenly assume the web site is the whole company. There is so much more to Healthline - they have very complex data driven products - and I felt empowered to be a part of health solutions that are attractive to diverse health companies.

Overall, it's a fun place to develop interesting technology.

I loved the location(!) and the people.

ConsThe company is in transition right now which can be unsettling for people without experience in aggressive tech-focused companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on defining and delivering products and managing (great) people.

They don't follow the 6Ps

Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThere are no best reasons. If you like clicks, get a job here. If you like to work in San Francisco, get a job here. If you like close to public transportation, get a job here. If you like to eat really crappy food, get a job here.

ConsUnless you are planning to get a senior position here, no bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a company that will buy you out. Fire yourselves. Update your website. They fired the CEO and CotB West Shell. You should have fired Dean Stephens, the president, COO, and "self-proclaimed" CFO. Oh, and now interim-CEO. Seriously, Board, you fired the wrong guy.

Worked for Healthline? Contribute to the Community!