Healthways Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Alfred Lumsdaine
1 Rating

Pros
  • work/life balance is satisfying (in 16 reviews)

• A 52 cent match per dollar on the first 6% for 401k, and free gym memberships are also included (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance does not promote a healthy Well-Being (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management contained many people without the skills needed to do their job (in 6 reviews)

1. Love this place

Current Employee - Human Resources in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Healthways full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked here over a year and love it. It is fast paced, challenging, and rewarding. You can wear workout clothes or casual attire every day. You can work out in a variety of onsite classes or the gym during work hours. They promote from within and really care about your happiness.

Cons

There is constant change so it can be concerning about the stability of your job/ company. Health care coverage is also pricey.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! If benefits could be lower and merit raises higher, there would be no complaints at all!

Fun Environment.

I worked at Healthways full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Healthways for almost a year and never got a chance to write a review, but I feel that I should just so other workers can know what to expect. First off, Healthways has a very good environment to work in, The managers are extremely friendly and you can get along well with them, and most of your co-workers will also be the same in that they are really engaging and want to be friends. Here are the pros: -Great environment -Easy job -Nice managers -Excellent cafeteria -Great Parking (Been to quite a few more jobs after Healthways, not all have this.)

Cons

There are a bunch of great things about Healthways, and I feel if you are not a Customer Service Rep, this place ist 4 or even 5 stars. I did my review based off the entire workplace as a whole, not just what I found it my job experience. However, if I were to judge it based on my own job while I was there, the place will get 3 stars. Here's why: A CSR at Healthways is a Call Center worker, so you need to be prepared for what that work entails. The work is extremely easy, but the people you talk to won't always be the most level headed people. Cons: -Overtime(This is based on you, I didn't mind really because my life allowed it, but many people had schedules that didn't work well with it.) -Customer Base: It's a call center, so hey, what can you really expect? Call center's are notorious for attracting people who want to berate you over the phone. Many people can't handle angry people yelling at them, so be prepared. -30 Minute lunches. (They need to be at least an hour.) -Computer programs: Way too many problems. -Coworkers: I said before you have great coworkers, which you do, but unfortunately there are "cliques." Nothing too severe, but gossiping does exist even there, but in the end it won't really weigh on you.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management: Doing a great job, and the cons I listed really have nothing to do with them. To future workers at customer service reps at Healthways: It's a call center, don't be misled by a title. I also did hear that workers had to work with no air, and unfortunately I can believe that because the time that the air went out is crunch time for many the place. In the end, the place will be what you make it. For me, it was fun and an easy job, for others it may be something else entirely.

The Real Truth

Former Employee - Health Coach in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Health Coach in Nashville, TN

I worked at Healthways full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will meet great people you work with every day who will become your good friends. Casual setting (can wear workout clothes every day) and PTO is given up front (22 days plus you get a anniversary day). Options for different shifts (but its hard to change). If you want a short term job (6months-1yr) and are ok with $16/hr then this is the job for you but dont look to stay much longer- get your feet wet and then say goodbye.

Cons

*Correction of Glassdoor Website- You will not make $19/hr unless you work the late shift (1pm- 9 pm because you will get shift diff pay). I worked at Hways for almost 3 years and i have a Masters. You will not make more than $16/hr and if they decide to give a wage increase the following year you will only probably get .40cents and the one year we got a bonus it was for $200. A bonus and pay increase is not guaranteed (first year there did not get one and my friends still there havent received one yet for this year). A good friend has been there over 5 years and is only making $17.80. Your chance of moving "up" is really low (this may be to team lead which does all the work the managers are supposed to be doing)- the only way you can move up is become BFF's with the managers (because a lot of them are BFF's- not joking). There are some managers that never should have been picked to be managers (bad work ethic and dont know the first thing to helping others out). I can only speak about inbound (taking calls as they come in) but you will work at least 5 contacts and will be expected to sit/ stand at your desk all day to take these calls. Metrics line up are terrible because they focus on the wrong things- TOD (time on dialer) Wrap time and %Prep (going from call to call) are the big things and while you should look at these we are supposedly a Healthcare Company and so customer service things arent going to work. If they tell you hey your TOD is low you say on but ive taken 30calls already- are you telling me you want more calls? they will say No we arent saying that just get your TOD up. Also the model they were implementing when i left was to get everyone's call down to <10min for everything- We are a Healthcare Company trying to improve someones health how can you do everything under 10min? Do not voice your opinion or give ideas- they dont like it and will not listen to you. All colleagues were saying team/ employee moral was down and we were taking too many calls/ day and short staffed. They shut this line of convo down so fast and told us to only tell them positive feedback. And employees on other floors really have no idea what we do on our floor (they dont get health coaching at all). The culture is there on the second floor but the values are none existent anymore. Last thing- Medical package is terrible- if you go to the doctor (outside of a annual/ well women's check) you will pay $115-130 for your visit and when you are only taking home 16.40/hr thats a huge loss.

Advice to Management

Go down to the second floor and speak/meet with the coaches and ask them their thoughts (a lot of us are intelligent human beings who have good ideas). Think about the metrics chart you have set up and really think how that works with healthcare. Get rid of the managers and people that have no business being there (go look at your own Gallup poll). Pay us a fair share or give the bonuses/ wage increases due. Hire enough people to cover the phone so people are mentally dead when they leave for the day. And when you have over 12 people quit in 2 weeks time frame be aware and go find out why (maybe sit in a exit interview and listen to what everyone is saying) because that is not normal.Especially when you find out people rather go and work 2-3part time jobs than stay at Hways.

Great people- great mission - needs leadership

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Healthways full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing mission and people working for the betterment of society. Good pay

Cons

Poor benefits package (healthcare) Lack of vision and leadership - lots of people up top wondering around looking to the people below to help set a vision for what we should be doing and where we should be going. Fear of upsetting the current business is causing people to not take risks and innovate

Advice to Management

don't become the next Kodak, don't be afraid to disrupt the current business model with innovative ideas or else the competition will.. Kodak still makes the best film, and they are still convinced that film is better than digital photos.. but no one else cares.

6. End User

Current Employee - Senior BT Support Representative in Spring Hill, TN
    Current Employee - Senior BT Support Representative in Spring Hill, TN

I have been working at Healthways (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, PTO excellent

Cons

no career path, cater to the clinical sid

7. Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great people. Lots of things to learn

Cons

travel, multiple demands and job growth

8. customer service rep

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

I worked at Healthways full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO is great Office culture is great

Cons

no career advancement for customer service reps

Customer service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Franklin, TN

Pros

Has a very laid back environment and get to wear work out clothes everyday, raise evaluations yearly, and parking garage, cafeteria has awesome food but it's a little pricey and they have Starbucks as well.

Cons

very little opportunity to grow, raise increases are usually a small percentage, mandatory overtime, made us work with no air for a week! It was miserable! Had a horrible experience with newest HR member and management can be very inexperienced, very high turn over rate.

Advice to Management

More training for new management, closer management of new members to HR and or management. More opportunity for growth, don't make your employees work in 90 degree temps.

10. Working for a great mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Healthways full-time

Pros

Onsite Fitness Classes, great culture, flexible work day, inspiring mission, data driven, on gym memberships via Prime, great work/life balance, and decent opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Expensive benefits, constant change, bonuses are rare.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin on! Please keep the twice a year meetings to keep us in the loop. Try to have a continuing education for colleagues on all solutions and how they are evolving.

Healthway's Health Coach

Former Employee - Health Coach in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Health Coach in Franklin, TN

I worked at Healthways full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great energy, atmosphere, and spirit of well-being. It is a fun place to work. There are ping pong tables, cafeteria with healthy options, four-square built into the carpets, and innovative walking treadmill desks for meetings or to get out of your normal desk. There are boot camp classes Monday through Thursday and other classes throughout the day in which you are encouraged to attend. Everything the company sells to promote well-being in their programs to clients.... they implement into their own company first. The company gives back to the community during the holidays and the employees get involved. I loved my time there.

Cons

For an individual who just graduated college they have great opportunities for you as a health coach, marketing, business/finance, but do not expect to advance. Even as a high performance worker, advancement opportunities are just not there. If you would like to advance, especially in the call center area, make friends with other managers, directors, etc. That will be the only way you will be promoted. The call center has become more about "numbers" to which has made the quality of the actual health coaching call go down. They have had to change their definition of "quality" several times in order to meet expectations of their clients. Compensation for health coaches is based off of education and experience. I had a bachelors degree, CHES certification, and pursuing a masters online. I started at $16.00 per hour (no chance for overtime) and advanced to $19.00 per hour with my promotion. Looking at other similar opportunities... it is a little low.

Advice to Management

Value the colleagues who are high performers and who are loyal, who want to stay with the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed