Healthy Directions

Be The First To
Add Photos

Connie Hallquist

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

"Finally a company with great potential"

Operations (Current Employee)
    Potomac, MD

ProsA more secure place to work at than in past years due to better leadership of the current CEO and former CEO last year who both have led the company on the right track with monthly strong sales growth.
    Potential for better atmosphere and communication among employees with relocation to our new building at the end of this year.

ConsNot much to speak of except in the advice to Management (see below).

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your hard working employees below you more and recognize they are the reason for the company's growth and success also. Listen to their imput.Don't distance yourselves from them. Try to put your employees first and yourselves last.

Successful Turnaround....Great Growth Potential

Potomac, MD

ProsEvery day is about helping people lead healthier, happier lives
    Superior nutritional supplements with the best ingredients and best science
    Medium sized company with leadership opportunities for those who want to take on more
    Great work-life balance...most work from 9AM to 5:30PM

ConsTired, old office space (but moving to new office at the end of the year)
    Some employees do more than their fair share, and others won't take on more

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace a meritocracy and reward high performers

Due to budget constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Potomac, MD

ProsThe foundation for success is there. Everyone works extremely hard at trying to meet and exceed expectations on a daily basis.

ConsThere is a level of cruelty that runs ramped with- in Senior Management and how they treat their employees. There is no room for growth, job security does not exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge the hard work your employees do, acknowledge they exist. Do not take them for granted. Respect them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The grass is the same color green all over the place.

Potomac, MD

ProsGreat products. You really feel like you're helping people. Especially when we hear SO many rave reviews about out products and how they're helping people.
    Good opportunity for growth. You just have to be a participant and help make it happen. Most managers are always open to new ideas. Especially the new upper mgmt team.

ConsWe are coming out of a 2+ year struggle so some people still feel a little insecure about things. However, things look better and it's an exciting time. Lots of new adventures around the corner.

When you go the extra mile (or two!) it doesn't seem to be appreciated much. Seems l like it's just expected to put in 12 hour days if necessary. Most people don't mind but once in a while you have to feel like someone has noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck with the worker bees more often. Everyone's putting forth 110+ effort and we need to know it's being acknowledged and appreciated.

Finally, we have a strong CEO--one who "walks his talk!"

Director (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent salaries and benefits
    Nice people to work with
    Good company mission--helping others to age better
    Private offices

ConsMore communication would be helpful.
    Need managers who are more decisive.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower upper management to take action--and truly lead!

Once was great, now not so much

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Potomac, MD

ProsHealthy Directions does good things for people. Their products are high quality, and they know what's hot in the marketplace.

ConsThe company seems to have lost direction. They got behind the marketing curve in the early 00s, and they don't seem to be able to catch up. Much of what's going on now seems like desperation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at long-term goals, not just what will make the next quarter's numbers look good. The strategy from 10 years ago was sound, it was just the execution that was faulty. There's no need to go hunting for a new strategy.

Secure for now

Potomac, MD

ProsTo date, job security was biggest pro. Only recently have they started trimming staff to any degree. Lots of opportunity to learn but you have to really work for it.

ConsLeadership practically nonexistent. Previous insider club has been replaced by new insiders club. Very little recognition or appreciation for performance. Lots of panic management. Ship without a heading.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a pair. Get out of the boardroom once in a while. Keep your word, stop jerking good employees around. Middle managers could use some training and should be held to a higher standard.

Terrible work-life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros*Offices with doors
    *Salary is okay
    *Free products
    *Ice cream in summer

Cons*1970s decor with harvest yellow carpets and dingy walls
    *Putting managers without experience in charge of certain areas
    *No telecommuting (even in an emergency)
    *Clunky "reporting" system that involves manual input of data
    *You can't walk anywhere to lunch. Office building is set in the midst of million-dollar homes.

Managers who did not know what they were doing would give unreasonable deadlines that they pulled from thin air. If you pushed back, they would admit they did not need it right away.

Several of the people I worked with were "laid off" aka fired, so maybe they have better people now.

Some folks had no clue what they were doing. I was shocked they were at the level they were. Other seems to have good ideas, but they could not push them through all the red tape and bad ideas.

They do not allow telecommuting. One time, the power was out and the company could not operate for several days since they did not have a telecommuting policy set up. They lost a lot of money. Oops!

Advice to Senior Management*Allow telecommuting
    *Paint the dingy walls
    *Get customers under 55 (for your future survival)
    *Understand the internet

Low Personal Growth, High Frustration

Potomac, MD

Pros-Great Benefits
    -Family-focused environment
    -Given an office with a door [not cubeland]
    -Monthly/Quarterly company meetings/updates
    -Free products

Cons-Friends rule the roost; don't expect a promotion without kissing someone's butt
    -Bullying is how decisions are made
    -It's a very catty environment; about 80% female, you might not want to consider working here if you're a male
    -You will never be able to live up to your full potential
    -Your ideas will not be accepted, so keep them in a notebook for when you leave [trust me]
    -Title inflation
    -Horrible managers -- you won't find much personal growth here, but you'll definitely learn how to deal with difficult managers

Advice to Senior ManagementSr. Leadership: make sure ALL employees are HAPPY [not just the 10 yrs+ and people with bloated salaries]; most of the work is done by underpaid and undermined talent, make sure you reward their hard work with $$. And, please, for the sake of those still working at the company and those who decide to come work there, realize that not everyone is cut out to be a manager. Being a manager is more than having "manager" in your title.

I heard there's a new CEO in town; to the CEO: this company has a lot of potential, and a lot of great ideas WILL get stopped before they ever reach your ears. Do what you have to do to get the company back on track, even if it means changing all titles to what they should be, or taking a big step and wiping out that Executive Director and VP group and replacing them with REAL Directors or Senior Analysts. I wish you the best of luck, and I'm sorry I was gone before you arrived--I'm sure these are interesting times. I'll be looking forward to hearing positive things from the people who are still employed there.

About as stereotypical TV office life as you can get

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Potomac, MD

ProsHealthy Directions has frequent giveaways and prizes for the products that they promote. Since their target market is for senior citizens ages 55+, you may consider this a benefit. Being that I am under 30 and male, I wasn't able to find use for 90% of the freebies they gave away. Things like vitamins to help with joint pain and free newsletters on how to spruce up your sex life after being married for 40 years doesn't appeal to me.

Since they are a health newsletter company, they have many people who are knowledgeable about health issues and have a decent benefits package to boot. A good place to work for moms who need a flexible schedule and people who understand.

ConsIt's often a place filled with red tape and any changes can take a long time. It's hard for an employee's voice to be heard and really be recognized. It can be a very cold and lonely place to work and I had frequent memories of 'Office Space' working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove on team work between divisions, there was a severe lack of communication and caring between teams. We just got used to it and learned to accept a couple of bad apples because we knew that management didn't care or knowingly didn't do anything about it.

Worked for Healthy Directions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Healthy Directions reviews and ratings in Potomac, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Healthy Directions CEO Connie Hallquist . All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Healthy Directions employees.