Healthy Directions

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Connie Hallquist

Terrific vision, strong financial and strategic leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsVery transparent. Senior folks do what they say they're going to do. Senior team highly committed. Very solid finance leadership, overall leadership and vision and great physical environment

ConsToo far from my home and not a lot of room for upward movement right now

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. You are on the right track. Be more aggressive to eliminate underperforming staff. The Wellness program, although just beginning, is terrific and will make a difference.

Offline Company in an Online World

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsHealthy Directions has great products and three very valued doctors behind the key products. The product quality is key to their loyal customers.

ConsThe company is stable/growing but via expensive and old fashioned direct mail. Attempts to grow the online business have stagnated - turnover in the online department is virtually nonstop. The company is owned by a bank and they need to get the company from 20% online sales to 50% online sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a strategy - a company that prides itself on being a premium product, yet has to offer huge online sales multiple times a month to try and reach budget is not a long term strategy.

"Finally a company with great potential"

Operations (Current Employee) Potomac, MD

ProsA more secure place to work at than in past years due to better leadership of the current CEO and former CEO last year who both have led the company on the right track with monthly strong sales growth.
    Potential for better atmosphere and communication among employees with relocation to our new building at the end of this year.

ConsNot much to speak of except in the advice to Management (see below).

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your hard working employees below you more and recognize they are the reason for the company's growth and success also. Listen to their imput.Don't distance yourselves from them. Try to put your employees first and yourselves last.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Getting back on track

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Offers a great work/life balance for most employees.
    - Growth industry as many seniors and boomers focus on healthy living.
    - Ability to experience products and to provide beneficial products.
    - After an extended period of suppressed growth, new female CEO has started to introduce new doctors, new products and new channels as well as introduce a new culture to the organization.

Cons- Some employees are still mired in past practices.
    - Has been a hard climb back to growth as a result of past executive management missteps and turnover, followed by several years of the economic downturn, and all resulting in layoffs and other attrition.
    - Workspace needs to be updated.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build on new opportunities for the consumers and continue to put "fun" back into the employees' vocabulary.

Successful Turnaround....Great Growth Potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Potomac, MD

ProsEvery day is about helping people lead healthier, happier lives
    Superior nutritional supplements with the best ingredients and best science
    Medium sized company with leadership opportunities for those who want to take on more
    Great work-life balance...most work from 9AM to 5:30PM

ConsTired, old office space (but moving to new office at the end of the year)
    Some employees do more than their fair share, and others won't take on more

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace a meritocracy and reward high performers

Great place to put talents to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTeam atmosphere within departments
    Opportunity to cross train for other positions
    Open to new ideas
    Lots of information for analysis
    Casual atmosphere
    Open doors

ConsProduct line is challenging b/c of competition in the industry
    Inability to telecommute
    People have more to do than they have time to do it

Advice to Senior ManagementStay open to new ideas
    Look at branching out into other product lines that suit the market

Due to budget constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Potomac, MD

ProsThe foundation for success is there. Everyone works extremely hard at trying to meet and exceed expectations on a daily basis.

ConsThere is a level of cruelty that runs ramped with- in Senior Management and how they treat their employees. There is no room for growth, job security does not exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge the hard work your employees do, acknowledge they exist. Do not take them for granted. Respect them.

The grass is the same color green all over the place.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Potomac, MD

ProsGreat products. You really feel like you're helping people. Especially when we hear SO many rave reviews about out products and how they're helping people.
    Good opportunity for growth. You just have to be a participant and help make it happen. Most managers are always open to new ideas. Especially the new upper mgmt team.

ConsWe are coming out of a 2+ year struggle so some people still feel a little insecure about things. However, things look better and it's an exciting time. Lots of new adventures around the corner.

When you go the extra mile (or two!) it doesn't seem to be appreciated much. Seems l like it's just expected to put in 12 hour days if necessary. Most people don't mind but once in a while you have to feel like someone has noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck with the worker bees more often. Everyone's putting forth 110+ effort and we need to know it's being acknowledged and appreciated.

Finally, we have a strong CEO--one who "walks his talk!"

Director (Current Employee) Potomac, MD

ProsExcellent salaries and benefits
    Nice people to work with
    Good company mission--helping others to age better
    Private offices

ConsMore communication would be helpful.
    Need managers who are more decisive.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower upper management to take action--and truly lead!

Once was great, now not so much

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Potomac, MD

ProsHealthy Directions does good things for people. Their products are high quality, and they know what's hot in the marketplace.

ConsThe company seems to have lost direction. They got behind the marketing curve in the early 00s, and they don't seem to be able to catch up. Much of what's going on now seems like desperation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at long-term goals, not just what will make the next quarter's numbers look good. The strategy from 10 years ago was sound, it was just the execution that was faulty. There's no need to go hunting for a new strategy.

Worked for Healthy Directions? Contribute to the Community!