Hearsay Social

Clara Shih

Great Company!

Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hearsay Social as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, accommodation, people, culture, perks

Cons

Sometimes disorganized, didn't get promoted while I was here

Oct 28, 2014CTO

Glad you enjoyed your internship! You'll have to come back for another work term and earn that promotion. ;)

Interesting company in transition from startup to expanding market leader.

I have been working at Hearsay Social full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people. This is a very social company; the people at Hearsay like to spend time with each other. There are self-organized activities like ball games, concerts, dinners out, or even just going out for Friday night drinking in the Mission. There is no pressure to be that way, and indeed many people are not, but if you want to work with a group of people who are fun to work with and fun to hang out with as well, this is a great place.

The people (yes they get two paragraphs). I don't work that closely with people across the company, but the engineers here are top-notch. Some of the best engineers I've worked with in my career, even. Not everyone comes from a CS-degree background, and there are a bunch of people who have very non-traditional backgrounds.

Future potential. Hearsay's business is doing really well, and the company is rapidly expanding. This is good not just for your stock options, but for your career path as well, at least as far as the engineering group goes. There are many opportunities to mentor other engineers and based on the growth, there should be long-term potential to manage projects or teams if you're inclined to do so (see note below for clarification about executives, though).

Empowerment. Generally speaking, if you see something wrong, as Hearsay employee is empowered to act and fix the problem. Most of the time this just involves talking to office staff, but the employees are generally pretty proactive about solving other issues, too. In engineering, there is a *ton* of independence and autonomy allowed; engineering is responsible for the product, with input from other groups.

Impact. Hearsay is growing quickly, but it's still a small company. Engineers build new software that impacts our bottom line in weeks, not months. The Hearsay Customer Success team makes an impact daily on end users that call or email with questions.

Cons

Every company gets things wrong. Hearsay impresses me because most of the things that the company gets wrong are what I consider to be relatively small things. At previous companies, I always became frustrated by the number and severity of solvable problems that management didn't pay attention to, but I think because Hearsay employees are generally empowered to fix things, there are fewer of that type of problem.

The office isn't in the sleekest space; I've been to other SF startups in new buildings, and the office at Hearsay doesn't compete with a brand-new building. The Hearsay office is, however, pretty conveniently located next to the Caltrain station, which means that you can get to it on public transit from almost anywhere pretty easily.

Opportunities for executive leadership are limited (VP-level and above); it seems like the company wants to mostly hire-in executive from other companies instead of promoting them from within. There are exceptions, and this is one of those things that I think most companies do, though, so this isn't unusual.

As I mentioned above, there is a lot of growth going on. While this is mostly a good thing, it causes growing pains. Sometimes senior leadership is slow to let go of things that are no longer working as they did when Hearsay was a much smaller company. In addition, because of the growth, processes that were unnecessary when Hearsay was smaller are becoming more necessary and sometimes take too long to be put into place.

For engineering, there has been a "move fast and break things" (a la Facebook) mentality which has served the company well for the first few years. As we've transitioned to a successful business with many users, however, we haven't converted our engineering/coding mindset to one that is more like "move as fast as you can without breaking too much." Sometimes testing and refactoring get squeezed because of that.

Hearsay has a great office vibe and every day validates my feelings of my first interview and the people I met. That is definitely the best part about working here, and I hope that as we grow we manage to maintain that.

As we grow, though, don't cling too tightly to what we did before. "Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth." Change is gonna be necessary, and it's a good thing: it means we're successful as a company.

Company doesn't invest in your career growth unless you're one of the favorites

I worked at Hearsay Social full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There was never anyone here I didn't get along with on a social level - from C-execs down to the receptionist, people here are overall very friendly. The culture was very "startup mentality" - with social gatherings, free lunches and dinners (for those working late), company wide meetings, etc. It's a "fun" vibe and definitely on point with what's trendy nowadays in Silicon Valley.

Cons

The reviews stating the Stanford favoritism are SPOT ON. I felt similarly as a non-Stanford alum. Sure, only a "handful" of folks went to Stanford, but CEO and CTOs favorites are more or less those "handful" of Stanford alums. You can tell as they are continually given the opportunities to lead and grow.

There isn't much room for growth that I experienced. Once you're in X position, it's hard to jump over to Y or Z. For being a startup that's daring to disrupt the space, opportunities felt pretty limited as a previous employee. There wasn't a chance to wear multiple hats, and I heard many grumblings from employees that they felt stuck in their positions with little to no mobility.

The one individual the company hails as the example of someone who made it across departments? Yup - Stanford grad (she's awesome though so nothing negative towards her).

COO was a great hire - have him ground the CEO/CTO. It'd be great to work on career and company goals with each employee so s/he has something to work towards at HSS as well as for their own career growth.

Oct 28, 2014CTO

Really glad that you liked the people -- we've worked really hard to keep that true as we grow.

Sorry that you felt as if there was favoritism...I'm honestly puzzled by this (and it's showed up in
    ... More

Good, bad, and ugly

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hearsay Social full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As mentioned by others, Hearsay is all about the people. The organization is very good at finding great people who are a pleasure to work with and be around.

Cons

The elitist culture is absolutely real. It's not always overt, but definitely exists. The COO (good hire) helped alleviate some of this - but it's still definitely an issue. Beyond that, the single biggest detriment to the organization is the management of its people. Hearsay has always been able to attract talent, but is completely ineffective at inspiring, growing, and keeping its people. The low employ morale and ridiculous amount of turnover speaks directly to this. After rounds and rounds of weak reactive fixes, it's clear that the culture and values the company espouses are purely smoke and mirrors.

Get real, be real. Start living what you're actually selling to potential employees.

Overrated, overhyped, career-limiting

I worked at Hearsay Social full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Far and away the best thing about working at Hearsay Social is the people. They're smart, fun, active, and hard working.

Cons

Hearsay Social is a company far more concerned with looking good than being good. Management spends a lot of time how great of company it is to work at, though no energy actually making it a good place to work. Employees here do not get significant promotions (beyond title bumps), they are not empowered to create change, and they're underpaid - even when compared to other startups. This is evidenced in the enormous turnover they've seen recently and the inability to hire fast enough.

There's a great deal of hubris with which the executives here act; be prepared to be treated like a second class employee if you're not a Stanford grad or you're non-technical. There's a great deal of energy spent on making it *appear* to be a great place to be, with nice offices and offsites, one wonders in fact if the positive reviews here were planted by the company....

Sep 23, 2014CTO

I agree the people are great! I'm sorry that you didn't like some of the other parts; we're always working on making it better. As far as promotions go, both of our overseas offices are run by early ... More

Great Culture and Smart People!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hearsay Social full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone here is really smart and really dedicated to the product and their work. They are also some of the nicest people you will ever meet - including the engineers! All of the awesome startup perks are also offered including onsite fitness classes, catered lunch everyday and team off-sites. Overall it's a great place to work and there's not much to complain about.

Cons

The location is a little out of the way and being so close to the ballpark can be tough on game days with all of the auto and pedestrian traffic. We are also experiencing some minor growing pains as we continue to hire aggressively while attempting to maintain the startup culture.

Keep it up!

Oct 28, 2014CTO

Glad that you're here and happy! I do agree, though, the location has been particularly inconvenient with the World Series played next door two of the last three years! ;)

It's awesome to work here!

I have been working at Hearsay Social full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Very smart, cool, and generous people to be around
    -great location
    -huge degree of autonomy, freedom, and responsibility
    -fun engineering challenges to solve
    -many opportunities to make a huge impact
    -almost no bureaucracy
    -management legitimately cares

Cons

Really don't have any cons to mention. If I did I'd quit.

Keep up the good work!

Good and Bad

I have been working at Hearsay Social full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Non exec employees are all very nice
    - Smart people
    - Fun atmosphere
    - Free food
    - Good location

Cons

- Stanford elitism mentality exists here - coming from the top down (founders both Stanford alums). Didn't go to Stanford? You're 2nd class
    - Not much transparency from upper management to rest of company
    - Bitter employees do exist here - you'll come across many whispering in conference rooms spreading general negativity
    - They over promise and under deliver when it comes to your career trajectory
    - C-execs have favorites - don't expect to move up unless you're one of them

Sep 23, 2014CTO

Glad that you're enjoying at least some parts of the company!

As for Stanford elitism, Clara & I did go to Stanford--but none of the rest of the executive team did, and as far as I know only 1 of
    ... More