Hearsay Social Reviews

Reset
3.9
Clara Shih

1. Best decision I've ever made

I have been working at Hearsay Social full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was hesitant to join Hearsay initially, because I was confused about the product and its value to the challenging market the company targets. Social media in financial services didn't really make much sense to me. What sold me was the very apparent strength of the senior leadership team and the various managers I met with during the interview process. Extremely intelligent, enthusiastic, passionate (and yet practical) bunch, and clearly on a mission. Since I've joined I've seen that these descriptors apply well to almost everyone who works here. It's a very fun, bright, engaging group. Moreover, the company is strong. Leadership sets a good course, there's consensus, and in general a sense of working towards the same goals. Moreover, leadership is unafraid to recognize when a decision they've made is failing and undo or correct it. That's very important for a company in this stage, when committing to a mistake can be fatal. I've worked for a number of different companies at different stages of their development and Hearsay has been the best experience I've had.

Cons

The company could do more to foster and grow talent. We repeatedly see turnover from extremely bright people who hit a ceiling in terms of their career development. In fairness, this seems to usually be because of an unmet interest in a managerial role, and a company of 180 is never going to have enough organizational room to meet all interest in managing. Also in fairness, the company is actively trying to address this problem. Aside from that, I can't think if serious cons. I have read several negative reviews on here complaining of elitism. To be frank, I've never seen anything like that here. I've seen it in plenty of other places, but not here.

Advice to Management

Broader input in corporate decision making could be useful. I don't think everybody should have an equal voice, but more direct solicitation for input from the rank and file probably wouldn't hurt.

Thankful for the Experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hearsay Social full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Tons of really smart people here -As an engineer you can get a chance to get experience in just about anything you want to. With any sort of nifty Python project out there, Hearsay probably has some implementation of it in the code base Pretty much all of the pros listed in the rest of the reviews are accurate, no need for me to repeat them :)

Cons

The reason I wanted to write this review was to clear the air about some of the other negatives I read on Glassdoor. I would recommend to take most of them with a grain of salt since some of these are notably from clearly disgruntled employees, and I can honestly say that their experience does not reflect the average employee at Hearsay. First off, regarding the claim that Stanford elitism permeates the culture: I can count on one hand the people I know of at Hearsay that went to Stanford, and I don't think they get special treatment. The only time I even hear the word "Stanford" would be the rare occasion when someone asks how the company started, and the answer involves a story where Steve and Clara were classmates at Stanford. Otherwise, nobody cares. I don't think it's right to take potshots at your employer by anonymously posting negatives reviews on Glassdoor. I think it's unlikely that the people that wrote negative reviews took their concerns to their manager where it's extremely probable that an attempt would have at least been made to fix it. With regards to Clara and Steve in particular, those 2 would bend over backwards to help anyone out if they asked. With regards to complaints of the culture...what you see is what you get. I don't think there were ever any surprises to me about what the company or its employees valued. The vibe I got from my initial interview has been the same vibe throughout. To those that say the culture is bad...maybe the company was never the right fit for them. But regardless, it should be easy to gauge if you interview. The people are generally extraverted and friendly. I never met anyone I didn't like there. With all that said, my perspective of the cons here are outlined in the same way I'd express to a friend joining the company, and some of those have in fact been voiced already: Many people did in fact take a pay cut to come work at Hearsay. But there's a flip side to that coin: -Stock options presumably will have a lot of value over time and the company has been doing well. Whether that tradeoff is worth it depends on your current circumstances. -There is minimal to no BS. Need to come to work late? Ok. Want to work on a particular project? Ok. Need to expense something company related? Ok. Want a beer? Ok. Do you need a new Redis server in order for a project to work? Ok. -Lots of company parties. Those don't seem cheap. Experiences may vary with wages from person to person, but in truth I've never heard of Hearsay being reputed for "paying above market value." The location is certainly cool, but the commute can get old from the East Bay. The use case for Hearsay's customers isn't how a Hearsay employee would use the app (i.e. we don't actually need some type of workflow in order to make a post to Facebook and we generally don't manage Facebook Pages). The result is that it's an uphill battle to truly empathize with the end-user and feel the pain points that they might.

3. Hard work, real results & personal growth

I have been working at Hearsay Social full-time

Pros

Team that works hard and has a bias towards action

Cons

Fast growing company that has faced normal growing pains

5. Best company I have ever worked for....and I'm old!

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hearsay Social full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very inspiring CEO. Strong Senior leadership. Everyone is smart, kind and embodies G.S.D. culture. Free food, fun environment. Great product. Strong investment in new Sr. Management - CFO hire, VP of People hire.

Cons

Open Desk environment is NOT for everyone. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it. The company has SONOS which is cool. Some employees wear headphones if concentration is really needed. Turnover is a concern. Need to fully understand why people leave.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, keep investing in the culture.

6. A company that really shines in its culture...

I have been working at Hearsay Social full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to be exposed to the front lines of building a product that people actually care about using. There isn't a day that goes by where you're surprised by how the customer is using the application and how it's helping their business. You get a lot of freedom to pursue your own ideas and empowered to work on stuff that you think is important.

Cons

You may not use the product yourself each day, but it's building a product that really resonates with customers and there are a strong pulls each day to make things better.

Advice to Management

Continue to identify training opportunities as people ascend to new roles.

7. Not perfect, but hands down the best place I have worked

I have been working at Hearsay Social full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. Everyone is smart but also fun, caring, and not arrogant. Generous workplace perks especially for an enterprise company. The last place I worked had free pizza once a month and that was it. Here we get healthy catered lunch everyday, breakfast foods, dinner, huge selection of snacks, coconut water, better benefits for us and our families than I had working at a big company before. The company vision is very clear. Each person and group know how they contribute, and it feels like a team collaborating on a common goal.

Cons

Growing pains- they are still figuring some things out. We have so many smart people but you can't promote everyone, so some people leave. Some of the most successful people at the company went to junior college or didn't go to college. But definitely expect to work hard and have to prove yourself, which is high-stress at times. The location is great if you live in SF or south bay, but is a 20-minute walk from BART if you live in the east bay, which can add up.

Advice to Management

KEep listening and following through on what you promise!

Challenging and Fast-Paced!

Current Employee - Customer Success in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hearsay Social full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people are amazing - intelligent, hard-working, and simply fun to be around. - The office environment - how can you not like free lunch, ping-pong tables, and kegs in the office? - The work is challenging and constantly evolving - I am never bored.

Cons

- Challenges of scaling and managing growth at such a high rate.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees!

What Glitters is sometimes Gold

Current Employee - Customer Success in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Success in New York, NY

I have been working at Hearsay Social full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot express how lucky I feel that I found my way to Hearsay Social. The company genuinely lives up to the message it sells you while recruiting and onboarding, which is something that very few companies can claim. In essence: - Hearsay Social is a company that has a clear and intelligent sense of what it aspires to be for its employees, for its customers, and for its future success/longevity. There is a deep sense of trust that saturates every aspect of this company and that, I believe, will assure its success. This is a company where you will feel genuinely cared for and excited about where it could potentially go. You may even find yourself psyched for the week ahead, waking up early (because you want to) on a weekend/holiday in order to get your ducks in the row for the next work day's tasks and/or to dig in on passion projects, or spontaneously writing a Glassdoor review about how great your company is... . Again, you will find yourself doing these things not because you HAVE to but because you WANT to. (I know this sounds unbelievable; I was surprised too). - ^This is incredibly empowering. You have a real sense that you have the ability to make an impact and influence the company trajectory. -Your colleagues are going to be incredibly intelligent, unpretentious, capable, and fun individuals. - The work you do will be appreciated and the feedback you receive will be honest, to the point, and data-driven. - I have no idea what the Stanford bias issue mentioned here is about. If it ever did exist, it's been scaled out.

Cons

- We're scaling, which is great, but sometimes clumsy-- like the adolescence of anything. If you're willing to lend your ideas to how to make our institutions stronger, though, this shouldn't be so much of a con.

Advice to Management

- Continue to listen and trust your employees as you do currently

Ridiculous.

I worked at Hearsay Social full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hearsay has all of the perks that have become typical of the modern tech start up. Free food, the ability to work from home, no rules, a fun and convenient location with a workplace environment to match.

Cons

All the pros about this place is where the problem lies. Employees are incredibly laid back to the point where a lot of them spend entire work days shopping online. This general incompetence can range from frustrating to downright laughable. Most of the employees are working for the first time out of college and don't receive the direction they need. Senior leadership plays favorites based on non-work related details. If they don't like you on a personal level, you are shunned until you are fed up and leave on your own.

Advice to Management

Make a plan to decrease turnover; losing half the company in one year isn't normal. Create core values that make sense and try sticking to them. Lose the entitlement and the passive aggressiveness. Make decisions that have a positive impact on long term business goals and the development of the people working there. Think about others, learn what they do best, what they are passionate about and use that to your advantage.

Hearsay Social Response

Apr 23, 2015 – CTO

Sorry that you didn't enjoy your time here, or at least the end of it (if you stayed for more than a year, I hope you at least enjoyed the first part!) We put a lot of trust in people to get their ... More

Cool Place. Smart People. Product needs help.

I worked at Hearsay Social full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool place, easy going people who are super collaborative (most of the time). If what you care about is a really social atmosphere, this is the place to be in SF. There is also a ton of expansion going on, so room for growth is there. Can't say much about the maturity or helpfulness of the product, but the leadership team has respect in the industry - and they are smart.

Cons

The product lacks substance and is pretty buggy. It's great if highlighted as a compliance solution, but not so great if it's really being used to drive sales, in any sort of substantial way. The go-to-market organizations are great at this company, but the product and engineering teams could use more leadership, process, and people who really understand SaaS. Culturally, it's very young-SF-tech bubble glory. If you're not into all of that, all the time than you'll probably get over the place pretty quickly. Also, I was surprised by how high the turnover was, upwards of 30% is not good! Also, pretty much everyone I talked to had to take a pay cut before joining.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at how much value the product is actually bringing to customers, and how many people are actually using in consistently. Make sure you understand where the product is good, and where it needs improvement so that your teams are more self aware too, else it's the blind leading the blind!

Hearsay Social Response

Feb 15, 2015 – CTO

Glad to hear that you liked the people -- at least that part we're getting consistently right! Re: the product, sorry to hear that you found it buggy ... the engineering team does its best to ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed