Hearst Corporation

www.hearst.com

Hearst Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Hearst Corporation Vice Chairman and Interim CEO Frank A. Bennack Jr.

Frank A. Bennack Jr.

Pros
  • You aren't required to work non stop, good work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Learned a lot during my employment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, slow ladder climbing(in 10 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be more cut-throat and has become very disorganized(in 8 reviews)

Digital Media Consultant position is the worst job I ever had

Media Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsDiscounted Hearst magazine subscription. Free tickets to events that the company sponsors. Nice co-workers. 401 K match at six percent. Okay health benefits.

ConsYou will not make a dime in commissions unless you meet your quota, which is unrealistic. You are not allowed to contact or up-sell any business you sold once the contract has been signed. They have a team that maintains your accounts and gets credit for up-selling the businesses you brought in. There are no clearly defined territories so everyone is stepping over each other's toes. They have a 50 percent cancellation rate, so chargebacks will eat away at any meager commissions you receive. You will basically live on your base salary. It is one step forward, two steps back. High turnover, high burnout rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit throwing money at the problems by continuing to hire more layers of upper management and giving them hefty salaries believing they have a magic wand to turn things around. Give those on the front lines some respect. After all, they are getting the feedback from the customers and potential customers. Give Media Consultants commission for selling a new business without holding out the money until they reach their quota. It is demoralizing and kills their drive to succeed.

Great benefits, but lack of direction

Account Executive/Sales (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFair benefits, great base, company that is in a transition between print and digital. Managers were good, hard working people, but we're limited to products that that did not really help small business success in their digital marketing campaigns.

ConsNo clear direction for digital media account executives. Sub par products in the market place that were not competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many packages that are outdated for the small business. Focus and specialize in one vertical and branch out from there.

Overall Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat building and perks, very nice location and people. The work life balance is good and is normal 9-5 format.

ConsA bit rigid in structure compared with a more entreprenueral workplace.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to intern

Editorial Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMade lasting connections as an intern, senior editors willing to help a recent graduate out. Never felt overworked or undermined.

ConsWould have liked to write more

Solid in Seattle

Key Account Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWork hard, paid well lots of opportunity to earn.

ConsExpensive benefits, operations done in another office make last minute launches hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing Karl.

Hearst is a well established company.

ProsGreat experience, but no room for growth.

ConsThe salaries are not fair to the employees.

Great internship experience

Editorial Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI did very few administrative tasks and was never assigned busy work, which I did not expect from an internship at a massive corporation. The editors really take the time to work with you and they appreciate what you do for them. The staff is on the younger side but all very experience and qualified. The work environment is fun and competitive, and I looked forward to going to work everyday.

ConsUnpaid, hard to get noticed because the corporation is so large, but that's part of the business!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great if interns were given opportunities to write more, since that is what many are looking to do.

Hearst Digital has got it together

Senior Web Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAt least when I was there, Hearst was pretty much the only one of the major publishers who had a clue about what to do with digital (esp compared to Conde Nast and Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia). Smart people, and pretty nimble about technological changes. The CMS was custom built in-house, so it was much easier to get problems worked on and upgraded than with outside systems.

And the Hearst Tower, what a glorious building! So much natural light. And the corporate gym. Oh, the corporate gym. That was the best perk I had at a job ever. EVER!

ConsSalaries. They are really on the low side of competitive. Also, not much room for advancement. Have heard of lots of changes in Digital lately that have led to low, low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementPAY MORE! Give more opportunities for advancement.

Fantastic company to work for. Great pool of talented people, high standards, known for quality work.

ProsTalent still matters here. Good work environment here in Uniondale, Long Island. Centrally located near Roosevelt Field mall.

ConsIt can feel a little too corporate here sometimes and there appears to be a lack of diversity at the executive and corporate levels.

Educating

Ad Sales Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsStrong team environment
    full of opportunity to learn

Conspoor communication amongst top heads and employees
    little to no opportunity for growth

Worked for Hearst Corporation? Contribute to the Community!