Hearst Corporation

www.hearst.com

Hearst Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Hearst Corporation Vice Chairman and Interim CEO Frank A. Bennack Jr.

Frank A. Bennack Jr.

Pros
  • You aren't required to work non stop, good work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Learned a lot during my employment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, slow ladder climbing(in 10 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be more cut-throat and has become very disorganized(in 8 reviews)

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat company, great perks to working here, amazing building to work in, many internal opportunities to grow

ConsNone that I can think of

A great company to work for if you can get over their traditional views.

Associate Producer (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsTreat staff very well and it is a very organized enviornment.

ConsThe company's views are very conservative and traditional and in the news that's pretty difficult when the media is ever changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like to see a little more creativity and better management when it comes to the website portal.

Lots of Perks

Technical Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat company, lots of perks

ConsSlow growth as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your talent, promote from within.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience. No room for growth.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat learning experience. Great company to put on your resume. I loved the middle management of my magazine - super friendly and encouraging. Upper management was cold and stand-offish. Great building - cafeteria and gym are wonderful! Great location. Perks - discounts,exclusive opportunities, etc.

ConsTurnover is quick. No room for growth. Low starting salaries. Assistants are told they are paid hourly, however, at the magazine I worked at, we only got paid for 35 hours no matter how many hours we worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more room for growth. I was given this advice while working there - "If you want to move up, you have to leave and then try to come back in." Raising starting salaries for assistants would be nice. Your current is not livable. Also, paying interns wouldn't be a bad idea or at least a travel stipend.

Not a friendly culture or work environment

Editorial (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat building and cafe, very cool to work in Columbus Circle. Once you get an in here easier to meet people at other magazines as well.

ConsSnooty people, little connection to the corporation when I was working at Good Housekeeping. GH had a very cold culture and the work as an intern was very tedious

Advice to Senior ManagementStructure your internship program. They never even introduced the interns to one another. paying the interns wouldn't be a bad thing either

The digital marketing department is a mess. Great ideas but leadership isnt very knowledgeable.

Digital Marketing Representative (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou control your paycheck. Coworkers are great.

ConsDigital advertising department is a mess. Many growing pains. Still in the toddler stage.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize and make the environment friendly to upward mobility.

Stagnant.

Flash Designer (Former Employee) Danbury, CT

ProsThe people are friendly and are amazing. The employees do more to help each other than the management does.

ConsThere is constant turn-over. There is literally no room for growth, or promotion. You get passed over and blamed. It's an extremely tedious job.

It was an exciting opportunity and great learning experience.

Fashion Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are lots of opportunities to learn. Friendly staff. The company has great connections for anyone that wants to work in fashion.

ConsI can't think of any cons.

This is the company I am so proud to work for and a company that works hard for me, I have been there less than a year.

DME (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsAbout 6 month ago, we attained Mike DeLuca as our, SVP at Hearst Digital Media Services & President at LocalEdge, since then our company has grown leaps and bounds by creating a new culture.

ConsOH, did I mention I just returned from a companywide meeting, all-inclusive four days, three nights in Port St. Lucie, Florida? Wait, that's not a con, lol, guess I don't have one...

Advice to Senior ManagementThe senior management staff that Mike DeLuca has put in place is an award winning group of individuals that is rocking the industry and other companies in our field are asking, “What is going on over there?”

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart, nice people, good job security

ConsLow salary for the amount of work they expect.

Worked for Hearst Corporation? Contribute to the Community!