Hearst Corporation

Hearst Corporation Reviews

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.5

Hearst Corporation Vice Chairman and Interim CEO Frank A. Bennack Jr.
Frank A. Bennack Jr.

Pros
  • You aren't required to work non stop, good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Learned a lot during my employment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management somewhat disorganized, food bar is expensive (in 12 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours, not unbearable (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern

I worked at Hearst Corporation

Pros

Mostly positive experiences while interning at different titles at Hearst Corporation. It is a good place to network, and most of the time people want to help and mentor you. You definitely have to work hard first and prove yourself before anything though.

Cons

Unpaid internships and long work hours, but that's something you should expect before even applying to magazines.

Good learning experience

Current Employee - Art/Photo Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Art/Photo Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Hearst Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great building, cafeteria, and love the free museum perks. learned a ton and met people in the industry. great company to have on resume. hands on experience with several departments.

Cons

it's hard to move up- upper management in my department is really slow. tight on budget. slow when it comes to switching over to digital. they're trying though! they make you work long hours and give assistants a lot of busy work.

if you want to keep great, talented, and hardworking people- you must ask how they're doing and compensate! weed out bad, lazy managers.

Editorial Intern

Former Employee - Editorial Intern in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Hearst Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful learning experience and great for your resume. I was afraid I would only be involved in clerical and administrative tasks, but was given the opportunity to learn and increase knowledge of the industry, as well as become familiar with the editorial and creative processes.

Cons

Nothing negative to say! Perhaps I was lucky, but I enjoyed every moment of my internship.

Strong Team ~ Power Industry Leading Web Solutions

Current Employee - Web Designer in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Web Designer in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Hearst Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy being part of a team where quality and solutions matter - it feels great!
    We not only design and develop websites, we offer true business drivers for our clients; measuring success and impacting conversion daily. It’s very hard to compete with a full service team like ours. The collective team knowledge and commitment to clients is second to none. I have the opportunity to design a brands identity online and to ultimately impact their business through my UI and UX knowledge. This is proving to be a great training ground to tune my skills as a designer.

Cons

I sometimes find it hard to pull away from my work. I am naturally driven and dedicated to create wonderful sites for my clients. Unlike other places I have been, here I feel like I am making a true customer impact. This along with my project portfolio makes it necessary that I manage my time well.

Keep investing in our future, help us eliminate barriers and reduce obstacles. Continue to bring the teams together to map out the overall vision. We are excited by the products, platforms and direction you have brought to us. We finally feel like we have a voice and that someone is listening.

Not the same company

Former Employee - Editorial in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing headquarters bldg in midtown Manhattan. Smart, talented colleagues. Employee gym. Nurse on premises. Great cafe that serves breakfast and lunch and has sushi bar. Historied brand. Quality titles. Successful launches of new magazines with TV tie-ins. Company diversified interests outside of media.

Cons

Magazine division is scared of the future. Industry changes and the way people get their information has them scratching their heads. Test way too much in order to validate their decisions. Newsstand is dead. Yet they put all their attention there. Family-owned company used to treat their employees more like family. Now employees are just a headcount and salary. Lots of firings in 2014. Many staff wiped out and replaced--often asked to clear out in less than two hours. Those who are left live in climate of fear.

Okay.

I have been working at Hearst Corporation

Pros

Decent pay, PTO, no overtime.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement in some departments.

Great Place to work but very busy

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time

Pros

Great people, Great experiences,

Cons

Very busy, Early mornings and late nights. No room for error.

Good So Far! 1

Current Employee - Media Consultant in Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - Media Consultant in Danbury, CT

I have been working at Hearst Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

the ability to make $$$ - if you are performing well, manager leaves you alone. Good group of people and lots of incentives to do well.

Cons

office is dumpy, it is stressful, but the stress is a good thing in a sales job. you have to learn the ropes in order to succeed.

sometimes praise is a good thing. it should always be whats next? sometimes you need to live in the now and acknowledge how hard people are working

Great internship program

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The interns get real world experience at a publishing giant and everyone in my department was super nice and helpful. It was very social and all birthdays/weddings/babies were celebrated with a cake and small gathering in the conference room, which really helped with feeling like a team. The Hearst Tower in NY is a spectacular building and has a great cafeteria.

Cons

Because different department interns are hired for fall, winter, summer and spring sessions, the job does not lead to a job offer after graduation. I actually applied for a job after graduation but Hearst wanted 1-2 years experience for a position in my department that was similar to what I had been doing. Also, the internship is nonpaid, which can be tough in an expensive city like NY.

none

Great place to work at

I worked at Hearst Corporation as an intern

Pros

Good benefits, nice people, amazing office

Cons

HR team wasn't so nice to me - conflicting advices

Give chance to internationals and this company will grow a lot more - my team wanted to keep me badly. But, could not do so because of "company policies"

Hearst Corporation Photos