Hearst Corporation Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Steven R. Swartz

Pros
  • The work life balance is good and is normal 9-5 format (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, Great experiences, (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Disconnect with upper management (in 12 reviews)

• In magazines, long hours are expected (in 10 reviews)

1. Fabulous Company

Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time

Pros

Great teams who take care about their own and promote from within if they can. Healthy environment, hard working and fun. Are privately owned so they are run a bit like a smaller company. You get the power and support of a corporation without some of the issues that make a public company a less enjoyable entity.

Cons

Compensation is lower than Conde Naste and their are fewer material perks. You have to love working in their newer building that doesn't have any offices. Unless you are high up you won't have an office but a low cubicle. I find hearing very on else's conversations and not having any privacy during the day very distracting. I am not someone who likes having people approach me from behind.

Advice to Management

Keep your humanity. You culture is what makes you special. Your yearly sales meetings are a time for inspiration so don't forget the people left back at the office providing support for those attending workshops and meetings you put together. The little people at the company are your first point of contact in many cases. Educate both from the too down and the bottom up.

Jul 6, 2015Recruiter

The open floor design on most floors is meant to encourage group collaboration, while keeping teamwork transparent and fluid. It also allows people to approach one another in a warm welcoming way.

2. ELLE Magazine

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Hearst Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team is incredibly supportive, dedicated, and intelligent. I think this varies magazine to magazine.

Cons

Because it's a large corporation, my immediate supervisor, and our boss, have to run significant changes by the corporate team.

3. low salaries, too corporate

I worked at Hearst Corporation

Pros

Hearst has nice offices and a nice company cafeteria.

Cons

Hearst pays low editorial salaries compared with other similar companies. Too much corporate red tape; often, they value mind-numbing, overly time-consuming processes rather than allowing individual managers to create efficient procedures tailored to their staff.

Advice to Management

Pay people more competitive salaries.

Jul 6, 2015Recruiter

We have made a significant effort recently to improve and modernize our processes in order to appeal to all groups in a cross functional pattern. One example is our brand new internal learning and ... More

5. Great company

Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Hearst Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back work enviroment.
    Decent pay.
    Good Management.

Cons

slow advancement.
    small raises.
    Lack of work culture.

Advice to Management

Allow for more promotion opportunities.
    better raises for promotions.

6. Good Company

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hearst Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative company
    Access to management
    Quickly changing

Cons

No room for growth in Chicago
    Bad pay

Marketing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hearst Corporation (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall Hearst offers a great physical working environment--nice building, great cafeteria, gym, etc. The culture encourages the sharing of ideas, creative thinking and accessibility.

Cons

There can be too many layers and hurdles to get things done. Working with the Hearst Digital team can be challenging as there still does not seem to be a clear process after years of changes.

Advice to Management

Give more visibility to employees in more junior positions and opportunities to grow. Some of the cost cutting moves seem to be shortsighted and will result in poor morale and lost business

Jul 1, 2015Recruiter

Scaleability is essential here and we keep our teams agile and small in order to promote collaboration. We offer everyone in HDM the opportunity to be strategic and grow.

All

Current Employee - Executive Director Sales & Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Director Sales & Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Hearst Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Great brands, people and work environment. Digital team has come a long way. Now everyone from a sales, marketing and post sales account mgmt actually has a digital back ground. As opposed to two years ago when it was a few print people trying to sell as manage digital campaigns.

Cons

Horrific maternity leave. Only pay 6 weeks. Force employee to use one week of their annual vacation. Employee then has the option to use the rest of their annual vacation toward their maternity leave - but then has no more vacation for the rest of the year. The rest of the 3-month maternity leave (which the employee only gets bc of the FMLA, which essentially treats maternity leave like a medical leave) is unpaid. This from a company whose brands portray the image of building women up. And a huge % of the company is women. It's shameful.

Advice to Management

Step up your maternity leave policy and be competitive with where other companies are. Time Inc has 4 months @ full pay. So does Rodale. Google and Facebook are 6 months. You talk about being leaders in the industry? Then lead by example and show the women who work so hard for you and the Hearst family how much you appreciate them. Otherwise "bring your child to work day" is just a joke and slap in the face.

Worst work experience ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, many nice, hard working people

Cons

Stuffy. Senior senior support staff guard their bosses offices & don't do much work nor help new admins learn the culturez

Advice to Management

HR Generalists should be assigned to each group/division. Employees should be able to reach out to them in a confidential manner and should not receive retaliation (in the form of termination) for being given that right.

10. Amazing experience and great people

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time

Pros

Beside the location, the Hearst Tower is located two blocks from Central Park and beside the great architecture of the building, mixing old with new, Hearst is a wonderful place to work. They have smart innovative people who want to grow the business beyond publishing.

Cons

Some of the major players in Hearst are a bit dated and narrowed minded. They truly cannot see past their own experiences and realize how much the landscape of America has changed. Hearst Corp. is a 125 year old budiness

Advice to Management

Mix it up a bit and hire a vast array of folks from the entire spectrum of America

Terrible Opportunity

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Hearst Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Terrible comp plan, horribly run by unprofessionals

Cons

Terrible comp plan, horribly run by unprofessional's, terrible product that doesn't perform.

RSS Feed </> Embed