Hearst Corporation

www.hearst.com

Hearst Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Hearst Corporation Vice Chairman and Interim CEO Frank A. Bennack Jr.

Frank A. Bennack Jr.

Pros
  • You aren't required to work non stop, good work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Learned a lot during my employment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, slow ladder climbing(in 10 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be more cut-throat and has become very disorganized(in 8 reviews)

A wonderful first job

ProsA friendly, dynamic company with the best people to work with.

ConsThe company has gone above and beyond to help me grow so no cons

Best internship experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsA variety of projects to take on - from editing to product testing. I really enjoyed my time here.

ConsNot many cons. Company culture could be more integrative

Lots of opportunities once in the company.

Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits. Salaries are fair. Once you are in one magazine, it's possible to switch to another one easily. Once you are at Hearst, the company looks out for you.

ConsIn magazines, long hours are expected. The goal is to get the mag out on time, no matter how late you have to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn senior positions, that is, jobs that are not billed by the hour, some considerations should be given to the number of hours and late nights one has to work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Looking for growth, autonomy and open-minded creative thinking? YOU'RE NOT GOING TO FIND IT HERE.

Human Resources, Benefits Administration and Learning & Development (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBeautiful building
    Smart people
    Delicious cafeteria foods and snacks
    Looks great on your background
    Helps you build a thicker skin since you have to to deal with the ruthless sharks in this place...

ConsSignificantly below market salaries
    Stubborn management who will throw subordinates under the bus at the drop of a hat.
    No internal mobility
    Lack of honest communication or integrity
    No social culture at all
    If you attempt to think "outside of the box" you will be pushed out, I left on my own - but saw this firsthand from several people on my team. Some of the best in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate your talent from within, learn to think outside the box so that you can compete with other media outlets and not have the best people run to your competitors. Improve how you communicate and learn to listen rather than push people out because they didn't agree with you the first time. Also, embrace diversity - things like letting slender people wear what they want and not letting someone curvy wear the same thing is not only demoralizing, but also ILLEGAL. As are criticizing people for external things like nail color, hair style, etc. Natural hair as long as clean and well kept is NOT a crime - but the attitudes of women in higher positions IS.

Associate Designer

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBeautiful building / workspace, great team to work with, knowledgeable mentor that took the time to teach and advise

ConsUnstable career path, especially in editorial field. Never know when a magazine will fold or when a team will get laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn a company as large as Hearst, I would hope that if there is a time when a magazine folds, that the company would do it's best to place the employees elsewhere within.

The people were nice, but the internship was incredibly boring.

Intern (Editorial) (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAll of my supervisors were very kind and cheerful people. The office itself was very nice and not a bad place to spend the day. The food is amazing, though you have to pay for it yourself. Great coffee machine. I got some free cosmetics and housewares which was cool.

ConsI spent probably 80% of my unpaid internship sitting around at the computer doing nothing. My supervisors wouldn't ever send me home and acted like it was a huge favor to let me leave early, even when I had nothing to do for the entire day. The things I did do were pretty menial- transcribing interviews, physically moving around packages, and Googling things. Considering it was unpaid, I didn't feel like I learned enough or made enough connections to be worth it. Many of the "meet and greets" were scheduled on days when I did not work, which was very annoying. Likewise, most of the "intern perks" (AKA free stuff) were given away on a day I did not work. My schedule was in no way unusual, just unluckily timed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your interns or don't make them sit around for hours on end. I'm sure this depends on the department, but looking back on my experience, I really should have quit before I finished.

Great company, great building but horrible benefits and incredibly decentralized

ProsCash rich company with a real sense of direction from a product perspective. They have brought on some new and exciting leaders that will help with the drive to digital. The building is incredible and the gym and doctors office perks are great. Competitive salaries.

ConsI have been working for big companies for almost 20 years and the Hearsts benefits package is pathetic. Not to mention when you get hired you have to wait almost 2 months to get them. That is unacceptable for a large company. The 401k match is a joke. The company is so decentralized it's also inefficient in some areas. HR is different in every unit and some like Hearst Newspapers are lacking HR. Core functions like HR, finance, IT etc should all be centralized for efficiency. Good news is they have started this for IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people are your assets not just your brands. Work on some real benefits.

Wonderful internship environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsEveryone on the editorial staff was friendly and professional. They gave proactive and interested interns the chance to contribute to and learn from the whole process of creating magazine content. Great opportunities to build journalism skills, including interviewing sources and extensive researching.

ConsA travel stipend would make the internship program even better for students, especially for those commuting from towns outside of NYC.

Intern

Editorial (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsHearst is an amazing company and I felt important being there, even as an intern. The building is beautiful, too.

ConsWanted to write more than I did and was tasked with social media. I wish the position description related my actual intern duties better.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntern structure wasn't set up well. I always had to ask for tasks

Top notch company to work for.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsExcellent benefits with long term visibly within a cash-rich corporation.

ConsDoesn't promote within. Tend to look outside the company for mid level management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't overlook the employees who work hard to make you look good.

Worked for Hearst Corporation? Contribute to the Community!