Hearst Corporation Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014
Updated August 24, 2014

3.4

Hearst Corporation Vice Chairman and Interim CEO Frank A. Bennack Jr.
Frank A. Bennack Jr.

Pros
  • You aren't required to work non stop, good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Learned a lot during my employment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, slow ladder climbing (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be more cut-throat and has become very disorganized (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

analyst

I have been working at Hearst Corporation

Pros

nice building facilities nice people good compensation

Cons

corporate politics, no bonus for analyst

Project Manager at Hearst

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Hearst Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with great brands and advertisers. There is room for growth within the company.

Cons

Bonuses are dependent on sales hitting their goal, minimal to no salary increases, no reviews and the current morale is low.

Smart and engaged company, work-life balance is virtually non-existent

I have been working at Hearst Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has really solid values and is extraordinarily ethical. Their product and reputation are a strong addition to my resume.

Cons

My personal experience with a micro-manager boss has marred things, with almost no work-life balance I don't see how I can maintain my personal happiness and continue with this company. Office culture and morale at my job-site do not seem to be a concern of corporate execs.

Morale and job-satisfaction need to be a bigger concern of management. Salary alone won't result in retention of talent. I would suggest a job-satisfaction survey every few years to determine which job-sites have issues, and address those issues quickly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Still Having Trouble From Print to Digital Conversion

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hearst has a very excellent benefit package and good, but compensation is not that great. Hearst Corporation has a good reputation as a news leader. Received some on-the-job training.

Cons

Not many career opportunities. Plus the salaries and compensation are not at all that great. They also gave salespeople a crummy cell phone to use a tracking device so upper management can track your every move. Quite strange.

Privacy and trust with employees would be great.

A wonderful first job

I have been working at Hearst Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A friendly, dynamic company with the best people to work with.

Cons

The company has gone above and beyond to help me grow so no cons

Looking for growth, autonomy and open-minded creative thinking? YOU'RE NOT GOING TO FIND IT HERE.

Former Employee - Human Resources, Benefits Administration and Learning & Development  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources, Benefits Administration and Learning & Development in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful building
    Smart people
    Delicious cafeteria foods and snacks
    Looks great on your background
    Helps you build a thicker skin since you have to to deal with the ruthless sharks in this place...

Cons

Significantly below market salaries
    Stubborn management who will throw subordinates under the bus at the drop of a hat.
    No internal mobility
    Lack of honest communication or integrity
    No social culture at all
    If you attempt to think "outside of the box" you will be pushed out, I left on my own - but saw this firsthand from several people on my team. Some of the best in the industry.

Cultivate your talent from within, learn to think outside the box so that you can compete with other media outlets and not have the best people run to your competitors. Improve how you communicate and learn to listen rather than push people out because they didn't agree with you the first time. Also, embrace diversity - things like letting slender people wear what they want and not letting someone curvy wear the same thing is not only demoralizing, but also ILLEGAL. As are criticizing people for external things like nail color, hair style, etc. Natural hair as long as clean and well kept is NOT a crime - but the attitudes of women in higher positions IS.

Best internship experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

A variety of projects to take on - from editing to product testing. I really enjoyed my time here.

Cons

Not many cons. Company culture could be more integrative

Lots of opportunities once in the company.

Former Employee - Editor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits. Salaries are fair. Once you are in one magazine, it's possible to switch to another one easily. Once you are at Hearst, the company looks out for you.

Cons

In magazines, long hours are expected. The goal is to get the mag out on time, no matter how late you have to work.

In senior positions, that is, jobs that are not billed by the hour, some considerations should be given to the number of hours and late nights one has to work.

Associate Designer

Former Employee - Graphic Designer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful building / workspace, great team to work with, knowledgeable mentor that took the time to teach and advise

Cons

Unstable career path, especially in editorial field. Never know when a magazine will fold or when a team will get laid off.

In a company as large as Hearst, I would hope that if there is a time when a magazine folds, that the company would do it's best to place the employees elsewhere within.

Great company, great building but horrible benefits and incredibly decentralized

I have been working at Hearst Corporation

Pros

Cash rich company with a real sense of direction from a product perspective. They have brought on some new and exciting leaders that will help with the drive to digital. The building is incredible and the gym and doctors office perks are great. Competitive salaries.

Cons

I have been working for big companies for almost 20 years and the Hearsts benefits package is pathetic. Not to mention when you get hired you have to wait almost 2 months to get them. That is unacceptable for a large company. The 401k match is a joke. The company is so decentralized it's also inefficient in some areas. HR is different in every unit and some like Hearst Newspapers are lacking HR. Core functions like HR, finance, IT etc should all be centralized for efficiency. Good news is they have started this for IT.

Your people are your assets not just your brands. Work on some real benefits.

Worked for Hearst Corporation? Contribute to the Community!