HeartFlow

Updated January 7, 2015
Updated January 7, 2015
4.1

John H. Stevens

A company that cares about their employees

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing. Everyone is very considerate, friendly and cares about you as a person before you as an employee. Training is long and involved but well taught and fun. CEO is a great person, the executives are transparent about everything. They constantly strive to make steps to be a better company. I love working for this company.

Cons

Opportunities for career growth, the ladder for my position doesn't appear to have a whole lot of steps. Turn around for things ranges between 24-48 hours, can be very stressful for more difficult work. Means occasional unpredictable long nights for those higher up on the ladder (always volunteers).

I hope the CEO and other employees keeps doing what they thinks is right for the employees even if others disagree. Those things are the kind of things that make people want to stay. I hope the CEO and other higher ups never becomes uninvolved or hands off enough that they can't do those hings.

Incredible company with transcendent vision and amazing heart... literally.

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Heartflow has pioneered the implementation of FFRct as a gold standard for CAD diagnostics globally, and has developed a process that will ultimately improve the lives of millions. The vision and passion that resides at Heartflow is extraordinary. If the mission alone isn't enough, the company itself is home to, not only the talented and brilliant, but also kind, hard-working, good-natured employees at every level. The executive management is very open and transparent, and receives both feedback and questions alike with a positive, constructive, and respectful attitude. Managers and other leaders within the company also maintain an open line of communication, ensuring an efficient, effective way to improve one's own performance, implement ideas, and voice concerns of any kind. The people here are wonderful, the expectations are fair, recognition is abundant, and the work is invigorating.

There are also a few perks that have less to do with the heart and soul of the company, such as a stocked kitchen, a beautiful bayside campus, access to a massive gym and rec center, an onsite cafe, and great benefits. Overall, a truly inspiring place to work.

Cons

Being a smaller company still in its start-up phase, Heartflow faces many challenges that are common to other companies in the same stages of adolescence. Tight deadlines, late nights, and weekend work are all realities when approaching a release date, as well as limited resources, fluctuating priorities, and, of course, the disappointments that come along every now and then between breakthroughs.

Remain focused with clear priorities, continue to hire and invest in top-of-the-line employees, and, above all else, maintain the incredible culture that sets us apart Heartflow begins to expand.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Case Analyst
    Current Employee - Case Analyst

I have been working at HeartFlow

Pros

Great Benefits, Awesome Management, Lots of room for advancement. Most Importantly Great Environment and Culture.

Cons

The company is still realativly new and still polishing the pipeline.

Keep doing everything that you are doing. You are leading an awesome company to perfection. I can honestly say I love my job.

Amazing company to work for, A+

Current Employee - Case Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time

Pros

The executive team at HeartFlow is extremely transparent, giving regular status updates and interacting with every employee. They are very proactive in making the employees happy. They even went out of their way to poll nearby companies and increase the number of sick/vacation days HeartFlow offers when they found that they weren't up to par. The benefits are great, the atmosphere is nice, and there are a lot of opportunities to grow inside the company.

Cons

Sometimes the work can be challenging as it is dependent on very high attention to detail.

Definitely keep doing what you are doing. I have never been at a company with such a great management team.

Company has a good future, hard on employees

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Gym, flexibility during the day, people who are passionate about their work and making a difference, focus on employees being healthy, free snacks

Cons

Unreasonable deadlines, unwillingness to adjust appropriately to changes, limited benefits/ time off, culture, employee development

Focus on the things that are important to employees and will give people the inventive to stay. Career Development and a future for employees is difficult and will become more important as the company grows. The limited PTO makes it difficult to take sick leave, which is unhealthy and makes people less productive.

A game changer that will challenge you. Wussies need not apply!

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Heartflow is working a technology that will change cardiac healthcare and impact millions of patients worldwide. If that isn't invigorating to you then move on. The executive team has a very open communication style and the employees are dedicated. Our last clinical trial was a success and FDA approval is around the bend. If you like challenging problems, like taking ownership and have the mad "skillz" check out our openings.

Cons

It is still a startup with an infrastructure that needs some work for running smoothly and scaling. The employee equity and benefits are a bit low compared to other startups in the valley. Scalability and market adoption are still a concern.

Move the focus from quick turn around of technology to robustness/well tested code that is developed to scale.

HeartFlow has great people and a great product

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the people I work with at HeartFlow; they're amazing. Everyone works hard, are good at what they do, and are great to work with cross-functionally.

A big pro: the product! We will revolutionize health care in the coming years and its very exciting to be a part of that!

The company has a weekly stand up meeting every Monday with members of the executive team which is great for transparency across teams and throughout the company.

Other pros: Company culture, on-site snacks/food, company events, on-site gym facility included as a benefit, recently upgraded health care coverage

Location, location, location!

Cons

The company still isn't quite big enough to have many opportunities to transition up or transition across teams in the company. Very few people have left after the layoffs, so more of those opportunities will come as we grow. They do pop up everyone once in a while, though.

People here work on weekends/late at night which is a little intimidating at first. I think if you have a good, supportive manager, this becomes less of an issue/non-issue.

As a member of the technology team, there never seems to be a break. We work constantly without any reprieve after each product release. It's always a scramble to the finish without adequate time (and often confidence) to ensure we are providing a high quality product and system to our customers.

I don't think there is enough encouragement for healthy work-life balances. Everyone works on the weekends along with checking and responding to emails which makes it seem like if you're not doing the same thing, you're not performing at full capacity at your job, which is in no way true at all.

Exciting, challenging, collaborative environment

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The team is fantastic. Every person in the company is driven to succeed, pessimists and optimists alike. The technology is cutting edge, and the environment is always exciting and challenging. Work-life balance is strongly encouraged.

Cons

Very little mentorship and poorly defined roles. Building employees is not high on the priority list. That being said, opportunities are abundant if you are a self-starter. Management has also acknowledged this issue and is making efforts to improve.
    Timelines are tight, there is a sense of get it done now and fix it later, not get it done right the first time.

Hire experienced people and encourage them to share their knowledge with the less-experienced.

Transforming healthcare, great team, bright future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting opportunity to transform healthcare system while saving lives and reducing costs by billions. Revolutionary and disruptive technology that will create a new industry. Great enthusiasm from physicians, hospitals and insurance companies - which almost never happens in health care. Great team working on a challenging and important problem. Exceptional talent from the CEO on down. Have hired some of the best and brightest in their fields from all over the world - no shortage of talent nor drive. Everyone is dedicated to a greater purpose - that of helping patients. I have never worked with a more talented team. Fun place to work. Amazing location overlooking the SF bay. Great gym, cafeteria. Everyone works hard and is dedicated to company mission.

Cons

HeartFlow faces the challenges any health care start-up would that is so disruptive and has so much potential for change. It grew too fast in part based on belief it could bring products to market much quicker than was the case. Since this is such a new and disruptive technology, there is no playbook to follow and as a result there have been some wrong decisions made along the way (as well as many right ones). Rapid growth prior to revenue led to layoff at end of 2012. To their credit the management team has learned from these mistakes and put the team on a path to success and a great future.

Maintain focus on driving adoption of core product

Most exciting company I have worked for!

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is no other place I would rather work than HeartFlow. I have worked at numerous companies and recognize that HeartFlow has more potential than most ever hope to have. Its core technology has already gained a significant following and now it is upon the company to deliver a product that could be widely used in cardiovascular medicine. I have worked at HeartFlow for over a year, and while I was concerned with management strategies when I first joined the company, I now see that we are on a path to success. The company stumbled early on in understanding their customer environment and grew too quickly, but since the downsizing at the end of last year, the leadership has provided clarity of the company mission and the company, as a whole, has been focused and meeting its goals. While it is not a perfect place to work (and I’ve never seen one), I love my job because I work with brilliant people in a company that has the potential to transform cardiac medicine. We are focused on improving our processes and executing our mission to launch our product into the market. There are plenty of nice perks and the office environment is casual with a “work hard, play hard” culture. Working here is the opportunity of a lifetime.

Pros: awesome people, good benefits, financially strong for startup, improving communication from leadership, great opportunities for career growth

Cons

Cons: insurance benefits could be better