HeartFlow

Updated July 6, 2014
Updated July 6, 2014
3.8

John H. Stevens

A game changer that will challenge you. Wussies need not apply!

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Heartflow is working a technology that will change cardiac healthcare and impact millions of patients worldwide. If that isn't invigorating to you then move on. The executive team has a very open communication style and the employees are dedicated. Our last clinical trial was a success and FDA approval is around the bend. If you like challenging problems, like taking ownership and have the mad "skillz" check out our openings.

Cons

It is still a startup with an infrastructure that needs some work for running smoothly and scaling. The employee equity and benefits are a bit low compared to other startups in the valley. Scalability and market adoption are still a concern.

Move the focus from quick turn around of technology to robustness/well tested code that is developed to scale.

Company has a good future, hard on employees

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gym, flexibility during the day, people who are passionate about their work and making a difference, focus on employees being healthy, free snacks

Cons

Unreasonable deadlines, unwillingness to adjust appropriately to changes, limited benefits/ time off, culture, employee development

Focus on the things that are important to employees and will give people the inventive to stay. Career Development and a future for employees is difficult and will become more important as the company grows. The limited PTO makes it difficult to take sick leave, which is unhealthy and makes people less productive.

HeartFlow has great people and a great product

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the people I work with at HeartFlow; they're amazing. Everyone works hard, are good at what they do, and are great to work with cross-functionally.

A big pro: the product! We will revolutionize health care in the coming years and its very exciting to be a part of that!

The company has a weekly stand up meeting every Monday with members of the executive team which is great for transparency across teams and throughout the company.

Other pros: Company culture, on-site snacks/food, company events, on-site gym facility included as a benefit, recently upgraded health care coverage

Location, location, location!

Cons

The company still isn't quite big enough to have many opportunities to transition up or transition across teams in the company. Very few people have left after the layoffs, so more of those opportunities will come as we grow. They do pop up everyone once in a while, though.

People here work on weekends/late at night which is a little intimidating at first. I think if you have a good, supportive manager, this becomes less of an issue/non-issue.

As a member of the technology team, there never seems to be a break. We work constantly without any reprieve after each product release. It's always a scramble to the finish without adequate time (and often confidence) to ensure we are providing a high quality product and system to our customers.

I don't think there is enough encouragement for healthy work-life balances. Everyone works on the weekends along with checking and responding to emails which makes it seem like if you're not doing the same thing, you're not performing at full capacity at your job, which is in no way true at all.

Exciting, challenging, collaborative environment

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team is fantastic. Every person in the company is driven to succeed, pessimists and optimists alike. The technology is cutting edge, and the environment is always exciting and challenging. Work-life balance is strongly encouraged.

Cons

Very little mentorship and poorly defined roles. Building employees is not high on the priority list. That being said, opportunities are abundant if you are a self-starter. Management has also acknowledged this issue and is making efforts to improve.
    Timelines are tight, there is a sense of get it done now and fix it later, not get it done right the first time.

Hire experienced people and encourage them to share their knowledge with the less-experienced.

Transforming healthcare, great team, bright future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting opportunity to transform healthcare system while saving lives and reducing costs by billions. Revolutionary and disruptive technology that will create a new industry. Great enthusiasm from physicians, hospitals and insurance companies - which almost never happens in health care. Great team working on a challenging and important problem. Exceptional talent from the CEO on down. Have hired some of the best and brightest in their fields from all over the world - no shortage of talent nor drive. Everyone is dedicated to a greater purpose - that of helping patients. I have never worked with a more talented team. Fun place to work. Amazing location overlooking the SF bay. Great gym, cafeteria. Everyone works hard and is dedicated to company mission.

Cons

HeartFlow faces the challenges any health care start-up would that is so disruptive and has so much potential for change. It grew too fast in part based on belief it could bring products to market much quicker than was the case. Since this is such a new and disruptive technology, there is no playbook to follow and as a result there have been some wrong decisions made along the way (as well as many right ones). Rapid growth prior to revenue led to layoff at end of 2012. To their credit the management team has learned from these mistakes and put the team on a path to success and a great future.

Maintain focus on driving adoption of core product

Most exciting company I have worked for!

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is no other place I would rather work than HeartFlow. I have worked at numerous companies and recognize that HeartFlow has more potential than most ever hope to have. Its core technology has already gained a significant following and now it is upon the company to deliver a product that could be widely used in cardiovascular medicine. I have worked at HeartFlow for over a year, and while I was concerned with management strategies when I first joined the company, I now see that we are on a path to success. The company stumbled early on in understanding their customer environment and grew too quickly, but since the downsizing at the end of last year, the leadership has provided clarity of the company mission and the company, as a whole, has been focused and meeting its goals. While it is not a perfect place to work (and I’ve never seen one), I love my job because I work with brilliant people in a company that has the potential to transform cardiac medicine. We are focused on improving our processes and executing our mission to launch our product into the market. There are plenty of nice perks and the office environment is casual with a “work hard, play hard” culture. Working here is the opportunity of a lifetime.

Pros: awesome people, good benefits, financially strong for startup, improving communication from leadership, great opportunities for career growth

Cons

Cons: insurance benefits could be better

Incredible place to develop MEANINGFUL technology

Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

HeartFlow has amazing employees. They have gathered the world's best in software, imaging, biomedical, medical and other fields. You can't go wrong working with the best people.

The technology is cutting edge and is actually meaningful, helps people, and solves big problems. It feels good to work on highly meaningful problems vs games and apps.

The culture is great, really strong efforts to make an enjoyable and active workplace. Good team camaraderie.

The company is well funded and poised for success.

Cons

There are risks and uncertainties as with any startup, but for the right people that makes it exciting. Be ready for ups and downs, long difficult projects, tight resources, and occasional disappointment. The company has a lot to do still. I think the success and potential of the technology and team overwhelm these issues though.

Other reviews mention some resentment to the reorg that occurred last year, but the move was courageous and the outcome now is very positive. Not every company has the guts to make a decision like that, let alone succeed and thrive afterwards.

Stay focused, keep hiring only the best, and maintain strong culture as we start to be commercial.

Poor management

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free snacks.
    Close gyms.
    Friendly working environment

Cons

About 40 people are remaining after massive layoff. The funny thing is more than 10 peoples are top managements (CO's, VP's and directors) out of the 40 employees. Some VP levels and directors were promoted and newly hired even after the massive layoff. No one took the responsibility about the wrong strategies and lies at all-hands meetings.

Good solid startup to work for, with improving outlook and culture

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Working with some really brilliant people on a huge medical issue, with a huge potential market and a lot of chance to make an impact on people's lives - if this company is successful, it has the opportunity to affect more people's lives in a positive way than almost any other startup (which also corresponds to potential financial success!)
    -always lots of work to keep busy, but managers are flexible on things like working hours if you get your job done
    -people are really friendly and willing to help out with your project when needed, even if they're already really busy - coworkers really become friends
    -highly encouraged to keep active - fantastic free gym on campus at Pac Shores, always different events/activities to join like races, softball team, boot camp etc. Taking breaks during the day to go for a walk or go to the gym is definitely encouraged if you're interested
    -since layoff, management has been very receptive to the feedback they've been given and try to make an effort to improve the satisfaction and culture - however this is still an ongoing process

Cons

-As a startup, has some of the usual startup problems of frequently changing deadlines and priorities
    -non-ideal planning can lead to long hours during crunch times (also typical in startup)
    -Have to be able to self manage well - some of the managers are very good technically and very smart, but very busy so people managing usually falls to low priority
    -In 2012, company grew too fast, became too "corporate" and got away from good company culture. This led to a layoff at the end of 2012 that led to some disgruntled people. However, with a few exceptions who have been hired back, it seems justified choices were made in the layoff, because company culture and benefits of an agile startup company have returned, such as better communication, less layers of management, and more cross-functional interaction. Hiring has been much more targeted only for true specific needs, rather than just to grow company. Management is not perfect, but they do seem to listen when people speak up.

Keep this limited growth until we really enter the market and start having the revenue and the demand.
    Spend more time on management training for younger managers without experience and figure out how to make people management and career planning more of a priority.
    Continue to listen and ask the people below you for feedback - some people are more comfortable being the squeaky wheel, but increased feedback opportunities for all would be good.
    Plan ahead more. Management tends to be much more tactical than strategic (which is expected somewhat at a startup). However, it's really frustrating when a big project gets crunched and results in long hours because you were working on lower importance projects at the same time that didn't need to overlap with the major focus.

Unbelievable Technology!

I have been working at HeartFlow full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the most exciting parts of working at HeartFlow is being a part of cutting edge technology that is destined to have an unbelievable impact on cardiology healthcare and patient experience! The office is located in the idyllic Pacific Shores complex in Redwood City, and employees (we) are treated to views of the bay whenever we walk about the building. The company makes an effort to maintain a fun, healthy culture (stocked kitchen, company sponsord activities like softball and triathalon teams).

Cons

Put as many brilliant and bold people in one location as HeartFlow has, and there are bound to be some conflict. Thankfully, everyone is smart enough to share the same focus of bringing this amazing technology to market!

While the possibilities are endless, management should remember to maintain focus. Making an exceptional product for one possibility will ensure exceptional product for all the other possibilities!