www.heartlandalliance.org

Updated November 13, 2014
3.3

Heartland Alliance President Sid L. Mohn
Sid L. Mohn

Great hands on experience, very supportive co-workers and supervisors.

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Heartland Alliance as an intern

Pros

The best part of this place, in my experience, was the people. I worked mainly with Heartland Housing, but it is still part of the main office. Both co-workers and supervisors were very warm and helpful from the start. They took the time to get to know me, to teach me about the organization, and to train me in some very useful skills.

Cons

This is a very cold office environment. It may be due to the lay out of their new location, but it was very quite and lonely during peak work times. Yes, people were helpful, but there was so much work for every individual person that you had to work on your own more often.

There needs to some sense of team work and cooperative ownership both on major projects and day to day tasks. Your organization deals with very important and very stressful situations daily, and the support of a team that cares about the work and you is paramount. You have nice people working in your offices, especially in Heartland Housing, design work loads so they are a shared effort whenever you can.

A true social service organization

I worked at Heartland Alliance full-time

Pros

Incredible organization that actually does great work. Pretty much across the board through all of their companies and projects. Everyone believes in the mission. Rewarding to work there.

Cons

Pay. It's even a bit low compared to other nonprofits-for at least the division I worked in. It is a very large corporation and while it usually does not feel like it, there is still a very real and very slow aspect of bureaucracy there sometimes.

Working at Heartland Alliance

I have been working at Heartland Alliance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff here is great. They are passionate and caring about the people they work with.

Cons

The company doesn't really care much about the staff. Turnover is high and people are in and out a lot.

Management should be just as caring as the line staff.

I have been working at Heartland Alliance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If its your first job in social service it is a good starting point with a company that holds its own in the world of non-profit organizations. Expect to work hard for the best pay in direct services in Chicago. Also it was fairly easier than in most organizations to move up in position and develop your other skill sets.

Cons

Some upper management seemed like they had worked in the cook county jail or wall street. Not that those are not commendable jobs but you would not expect those types of attitudes and treatment in the social work field. After all it is the SOCIAL work field.

Most are pretty good at what they do on the lower end of management. However the big wigs in some of the departments need to go take some courses on people skills.

Rewarding experience, bad management.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Heartland Alliance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This job gave me great experience, and it is extremely rewarding working with the kids. Most of the other staff are there for the same reason (the kids), and that really helps. I love my job. The management is the only reason I would think of leaving.

Cons

I work at ICRC (International Children's Reception Center,) so I cannot speak for all Heartland alliance Programs. However, at ICRC, there is very poor management. I do not feel trusted or empowered at my job. Management and directors are condescending towards staff, and treat staff like children. Attempts at working through issues with the management have failed, as anyone who tries to speak up is seen as a "rabble rouser" or a trouble maker by the management, and is shut down immediately. This creates a culture of distrust, fear, and negativity. Employees dread staff meetings, as they know they will be lectured in a condescending and intimidating manner by the director.

Management, please take into account the high staff turnover at ICRC. Many talented people leave the company because of the negative atmosphere. Management must already be aware that there is a problem, as it has been discussed many times. If you wish to keep employees and create a better work environment at ICRC, please consider drastically changing the way you treat employees. More clear communication, talking to staff like they are intelligent adults, and allowing people to voice their concerns in a constructive manner without fear of retaliation would go a long way towards making ICRC a more pleasant place to work, and retaining staff.

Great experience

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Heartland Alliance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My summer internship with Heartland Alliance was rewarding and the people I worked with were fantastic. I got hands-on experience with the projects I was working on.

Cons

It took a really long time to get anything approved or reviewed. The process of getting things done seems to be very bureaucratic and slow.

You make a difference in these kids' lives, but that's the only reason why you'll stay at this job.

I have been working at Heartland Alliance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The major pro is that you will be working with a great population -- immigrant youth in a residential setting. The stories that these kids have to say are amazing, and will make you want to help them with acculturation, life skills, and learning English.

Depending on where you are, you may have an awesome team of coworkers. Most of the case managers, clinicians, teachers, and family reunification specialists are here for the same reason: the kids.

Benefit Pros: Great Health Insurance Options, Paid Time Off

Cons

Specifically at the International Children's Reception Center (ICRC), those in the positions of director and assistant director like to treat employees like children as well.

Examples:
    - Staff meetings are a single sided conversation where employees don't really have any input on what items will be discussed for the month, but are told that "some people have told us that this a problem so we're addressing it" despite there never being a call for actual feedback prior to the staff meeting. If you bring up a concern during a staff meeting, you may receive a response in a condescending manner or in a way that makes you question your intelligence. This usually happens when the associate director or director are in the meeting as managers tend to take into account actual concerns or comments.
    - Management encourages a "tattle tale" policy rather than an environment where employees find it easy to collaborate with each other without feeling that they should tell on someone else in order to move up in the company
    - Employees often do not feel comfortable approaching all the managers in the same manner, keeping valid concerns to themselves
    - Sometimes it feels like they need to meet a "write up" quota
    - HR is essentially only in charge of paying you, but not really being their for employees either
    - Difficult to move up, and even when you do, it's for poor pay
    - Job descriptions are inaccurate. If you are hired as a case worker, case manager, or senior case manager-- you are a babysitter. You don't actually have caseloads. You don't do anything except interact with the kids and supervise groups.
    - Some managers have a negative attitude and influence but will then project it onto employees and say that there is a "negative attitude" crisis like we're zombies or something

We get it, the directors also come down on you guys hard too, but take a moment to not project any frustrations of your own on your employees then.

Also, PLEASE, take a look at your high employee turn over rates. There clearly has to be a reason on an organization level that could be the root of this. ICRC has been open for a little over two years. There really is no reason why new and talented employees should keep leaving. There are plenty of talented people that come and go. Let's try and figure out why!

Boring, no room for advancement.

Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Heartland Alliance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked my co-workers, otherwise, there weren't too many pros.

Cons

The work was mundane and repetitive, I was exceptionally bored.

Great Job

Current Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Heartland Alliance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good time off!!! You have a chance to make a real difference in the lives of the clients

Cons

The Union stifles the mission.

Keep on moving forward. Don't be afraid to lead and be tougher on staff. More accountability is needed within YRS programs

Very rewarding.

Former Employee - Facility Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Facility Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Heartland Alliance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

5 day work weeks weekends off, paid vacations & Holidays

Cons

funding for some programs would be very limited.