www.heartlandalliance.org

Heartland Alliance President Sid L. Mohn
Sid L. Mohn

caring people, innovative ideas

I worked at Heartland Alliance

Pros

team that cares about what they are doing and who they are working for

Cons

low funding for some projects due to nonprofit

Mission driven, wide-reaching nonprofit

I worked at Heartland Alliance

Pros

A high percentage of funds goes directly to programs.
    Strong senior leadership
    Nice work space
    Easy commute
    Central location

Cons

One VP, long gone
    Low end of nonprofit salary range
    Ceo is retiring this year after 35 years. It's hard to imagine someone filling his shoes.

A great company to work for until you burn out.

Current Employee - Residential Instructor (ESL Teacher) in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Residential Instructor (ESL Teacher) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Heartland Alliance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Heartland does fantastic work for social justice and human rights throughout Chicago and around the world. It's a huge organization with many different programs that serve vunerable populations.

Cons

Because Heartland is so big some things tend to fall through the cracks. I can't comment on the entire organization as a whole but it seems like within the Youth and Residential Services division of the company they've expanded their programs too quickly.

Heartland has a great vision and a lot of heart. But we can improve by aspiring to do things excellently.

The company mission and values are what makes people want to join the company. The management and pay is bad.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Heartland Alliance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Flexible
    Great benefits
    Great place to come and get experience

Cons

Horrible compensation
    Horrible work environment
    Management is horrible
    Not many career opportunities

Working at Heartland Alliance

I have been working at Heartland Alliance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The staff here is great. They are passionate and caring about the people they work with.

Cons

The company doesn't really care much about the staff. Turnover is high and people are in and out a lot.

Management should be just as caring as the line staff.

Very different organization to work for.

Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Heartland Alliance part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress attire for work. Some cool co-workers.

Cons

Harm reduction is their model, which is opposite of about 90 percent. Your not told you have to be a cook, exterminator, heavy furniture mover, janitor, security and countless other jobs and put up with some bizarre co-workers.

Great hands on experience, very supportive co-workers and supervisors.

Former Intern - Program Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Program Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Heartland Alliance as an intern

Pros

The best part of this place, in my experience, was the people. I worked mainly with Heartland Housing, but it is still part of the main office. Both co-workers and supervisors were very warm and helpful from the start. They took the time to get to know me, to teach me about the organization, and to train me in some very useful skills.

Cons

This is a very cold office environment. It may be due to the lay out of their new location, but it was very quite and lonely during peak work times. Yes, people were helpful, but there was so much work for every individual person that you had to work on your own more often.

There needs to some sense of team work and cooperative ownership both on major projects and day to day tasks. Your organization deals with very important and very stressful situations daily, and the support of a team that cares about the work and you is paramount. You have nice people working in your offices, especially in Heartland Housing, design work loads so they are a shared effort whenever you can.

A true social service organization

I worked at Heartland Alliance full-time

Pros

Incredible organization that actually does great work. Pretty much across the board through all of their companies and projects. Everyone believes in the mission. Rewarding to work there.

Cons

Pay. It's even a bit low compared to other nonprofits-for at least the division I worked in. It is a very large corporation and while it usually does not feel like it, there is still a very real and very slow aspect of bureaucracy there sometimes.

I have been working at Heartland Alliance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If its your first job in social service it is a good starting point with a company that holds its own in the world of non-profit organizations. Expect to work hard for the best pay in direct services in Chicago. Also it was fairly easier than in most organizations to move up in position and develop your other skill sets.

Cons

Some upper management seemed like they had worked in the cook county jail or wall street. Not that those are not commendable jobs but you would not expect those types of attitudes and treatment in the social work field. After all it is the SOCIAL work field.

Most are pretty good at what they do on the lower end of management. However the big wigs in some of the departments need to go take some courses on people skills.

Rewarding experience, bad management.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Heartland Alliance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This job gave me great experience, and it is extremely rewarding working with the kids. Most of the other staff are there for the same reason (the kids), and that really helps. I love my job. The management is the only reason I would think of leaving.

Cons

I work at ICRC (International Children's Reception Center,) so I cannot speak for all Heartland alliance Programs. However, at ICRC, there is very poor management. I do not feel trusted or empowered at my job. Management and directors are condescending towards staff, and treat staff like children. Attempts at working through issues with the management have failed, as anyone who tries to speak up is seen as a "rabble rouser" or a trouble maker by the management, and is shut down immediately. This creates a culture of distrust, fear, and negativity. Employees dread staff meetings, as they know they will be lectured in a condescending and intimidating manner by the director.

Management, please take into account the high staff turnover at ICRC. Many talented people leave the company because of the negative atmosphere. Management must already be aware that there is a problem, as it has been discussed many times. If you wish to keep employees and create a better work environment at ICRC, please consider drastically changing the way you treat employees. More clear communication, talking to staff like they are intelligent adults, and allowing people to voice their concerns in a constructive manner without fear of retaliation would go a long way towards making ICRC a more pleasant place to work, and retaining staff.